Are you ok with next gen consoles having always-online DRM?

• Hell no!

• Day 1, whatever, I'm always online anyway

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Without the internet going on either the PS4 or Xbox offline the consoles are bare bones.

That shouldn't hold you back from your SP games of course but seeing as a lot of games are unplayable without being online. I'd argue this is the reality anyway.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I definitely do not want always online to come back, but i have a feeling the poll results will be very different than the future reaction, it wont be received with nearly as much backlash this time.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Your poll is missing a plain "don't care".

The ability to play offline is cool, but if I don't have internet access, not being able to game will not be my biggest issue.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who game shares with a buddy, and I need to be signed into my profile to access any digital games as his console is my primary this is already a reality for me.

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Hell nope.

GT Sport online-only save is why I don't have a PS4 this gen. The series was a system seller for me. So long, nice knowing ya.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If any of the consoles has always online drm I won't play it.
In these types of discussions so many people go "Well I'm always online", or "if the internet is down we have bigger problems". It's not about the internet going down, it's about the specific servers that you have to connect to.
The internet itself probably won't go away, but take Hitman 2 as an example. It won't help if you're still online if Io interactives Hitman 2 servers have shut down.
I prefer to own my games so I can decide when I want to play them.
If I want to play Bloodborne in 10 years I can. Even if my PS4 is dead by then I can just buy a new console. I can't buy new servers for Hitman 2 or The Division 2.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I mostly play offline when I'm on PS4 and disable Internet connection, so that would be bad news for me.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
There is never a point where I'm not connected to the internet so I honestly don't care.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Personally the only time i play games is when i am home and the only time i haven't had internet in the last decade was when my power was off so for me i don't care but i still wouldn't want them to make it always online because i know a lot of people don't have access to internet 24/7 and don't care. I think the "checkup" solution they do now is fine.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this needs to be such a "yes or no" question. I voted "yes", but my real answer is "it depends".

I think that there should always be an option to play your games offline with physical media. That's just an inherent need for plenty of people.

For those (like myself) who have access to a consistent connection, I'm more than ok with having to be "always online" if the benefits are right. IE, give me back the original Xbox One plan that would let me share digital licenses with my friends please. Games are expensive and it sucks that our current game sharing option is still tied to physical copies, or allowing a friend to pretend that their Xbox/PS4 is your "home" system.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
We're heading there anyways, people will be mad on forums but mainstream won't care.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The only difference between now and 6 years ago is that my connection is 40Mbps faster than it was before. But that doesn't mean it doesn't go down. That doesn't mean the game servers don't go down. Always online is still a negative in my book. It cheapens the value of the game for me, if not entirely negates it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Had a couple times when internet down and didn't realize I hadn't set my console to home console and couldn't play anything and it sucked so hard. Absolutely not.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nope. When PSN or my internet goes down there are games in my library I can still play. Always online means I can't play shit that's on the disc in front of me or in my HDD because of some corporation deciding to give me permission to play something I paid for even though the game in full. Do I really need to be online to play Hollow Knight??

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I feel that the poll is flawed.
Are you ok with drm?
Hell no! But would still buy day 1 because i'm not gonna miss out just because of that. So there should be 3 options:
-wont buy because of drm
-hate drm but will still buy
-drm doesnt bother me

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I would just stick to what I have.

I'm offline 90% of the time. Only really go online to play factions and get updates

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If it was something that only checked in like once a month, then I'd be fine with it. Otherwise, I'd hate if my internet ever went down when I wanted to play a single player game, but couldn't because I can't connect to the internet.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a damn shame for people who enjoy their console gaming in the middle of the ocean, desert or jungle.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hate it, but won't be enough to stop me from buying the console if everything else is done right.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt they will be. There will be functions / games that will require an always on connection, but no company will want to deal with the PR surrounding 'always online' and the blocking of used games. It's not worth it.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I live rural so that means my internet is unstable. It wouldn't be worth my time to buy an "always online" console.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would nope the hell out of there.
Man, I remember buying the Xbox One in the release week, coming home exciting as fuck, and then getting smacked in my face by my own Xbox One, telling me that I need an internet connection to freaking initiate and start the console. I knew that, but my modem apparently was too old , without wlan etc. and it didn't work. Had to buy a new router after the weekend, before I could go on with my new console.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
The day society accepts (and is ready for) always online will be the day Stadia replaces consoles.
We are veeeery far from it.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
It wouldn't bother me, my consoles are online at all times anyway. I think I've lost the internet for less than 3 hours in the last few years.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
This is a bad premise of people continually trying to make the original Xbox One plan make sense. There is 0 reason a console itself must be online to function, which is why people had a problem with it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bye x10

The only thing I want is Sony's SP Games. If that shit is always online I would buy PS5 when PS6 drops.
Will stick to PC.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 is already always-online. I game-share so I have to be online to play games. Never had a problem. I don't mind it.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
It's anti-consumer. I'm always online anyway, but that doesn't justify anything.

Always-online made me skip on XB1 back in the day. I will do the same with next gen.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I only play sp games, I don't pay ps+ or gold and I'll never will and sometimes I move my PS4 to a room with bad WiFi reception so that would be a nope from me.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
I look at it from this perspective.

I am someone whose internet connection has historically randomly failed. The cables are old and engineers frequently have to come out and de-clog a flooded hole in the ground to resolve the issue.

This happens about once a year, and it'll be out of service for a couple of days.

However, if you took MS's vision of having to check-in only once per 24 hours, that's easily something I could achieve by tethering my phone. And even if I couldn't do that, I'd still have just a couple of days without the console as it wouldn't quit working for up to 24 hours after service interruption.

Would I not buy the console? No.

Why? Because it is beyond logic to go entirely without the console for 100% of the time just because I might be without the console for a small amount of time.

Of course I'd rather that it didn't exist at all.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
50% of the "no" votes are kidding themselves. If I put a PS5 in your face and told you online only you'd cave and buy it.