• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because yeah, Disney's Empire needs to be broken up.

I'd give Star Wars and Lucasfilm back to Lucas and his estate. It's where it belongs.

Most of the Fox acquired properties, I'd give back to Fox.

Marvel I might just have go back to being independent.

They can keep Pixar.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give Sony the rights to only the Skywalkers and Tatooine. I like to watch the world burn.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So you would take Star Wars and give it back to the estate that sold it because they didnt want it anymore? Genius.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have a monopoly

Lucas cashed out, it's not like Disney came in the night and stole Lucasfilm and Star Wars

Marvel is honestly better being owned by someone because they almost went bankrupt at least once 20 something years ago and if it was all under Ike still Marvel Studios probably would've fizzled out by now.

I would prefer Rupert Murdoch not personally on a bunch of properties, since Disney owns Fox they just be giving Fox back things that they already on.

Really they have a lot of properties under them but it's not like they'd be better off somewhere else.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't a monopoly, but it would have been better is Fox sold off its stuff to another studio and they just sold whatever Marvel IP back.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would probably break them up vertically rather than horizontally. Split off the theme parks, split off the movie business, split off their TV holdings, split off their merchandise wings. I don't think their hold over any one industry is oppressive, they're just too broadly involved across all forms of media and entertainment, which gives them an unhealthy advantage over competition.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
they don't have a monopoly with media. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't even subscribe to D+ as I'd be mostly watching HBO, Netflix, and Amazon myself

Oct 26, 2017
The Government looking at Disney like:
HNy70ac.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We start by creating the right word to describe "you have way too much stuff" and then charge the company with it.

And others like Nestle

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that should be done is to stop giving them copyright extensions. Mickey Mouse should already be public domain.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I would prefer a revolution where the Mouse is executed and Goofy ascends the throne

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They have an uncomfortable amount of influence over theaters with their demands. That's probably the one area where they need to be contained.
I can see this as one of the few areas where actual legal intervention may be neccessary. Disney's pull over the theatrical industry is enormous, and they've used that influence to outright harm smaller chains & independent cinemas. They notoriously required any Disney film to play for a minimum of three weeks at all theaters - which mean if you own a one-screen cinema, you are effectively barred from airing any movie releasing in the two weeks following a Disney release. In 2019 when they were churning out a megahit every month - that essentially forced those smaller theaters to ONLY play Disney content.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I'm willing to give the OP a little slack here.
This whole argument with Disney having a monopoly is a Republican talking point has been filtered thru so many different sources that is it permeating much of the discourse around them.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
love entering a thread to make the same quip that a dozen people made before me while also ignoring the broader definition of what constitutes a monopoly because then my dunk wouldn't work anymore

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Lucas basically gave up the studio and IP for free because he didn't want the headache and you would force him to accept it back?

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
What market does Disney hold a monopoly on, justifying breaking them up?

A company does not have to have a literal monopoly on a market in order to run afoul of antitrust law in the US, and even the FTC will tell you that "monopoly" is shorthand for "a firm with significant and durable market power — that is, the long term ability to raise price or exclude competitors. That is how that term is used here: a "monopolist" is a firm with significant and durable market power. Courts look at the firm's market share, but typically do not find monopoly power if the firm (or a group of firms acting in concert) has less than 50 percent of the sales of a particular product or service within a certain geographic area. Some courts have required much higher percentages."

www.ftc.gov

Monopolization Defined

The antitrust laws prohibit conduct by a single firm that unreasonably restrains competition by creating or maintaining monopoly power.

I don't know if Disney owns >= 50% of their market, so I'm not asserting that they are, in fact, a monopoly. Just pointing out that what constitutes a monopoly is a lot broader than "full market control". Not only does a company not have to have a literal monopoly, they can violate antitrust law and require dissolution for even *attempting* to monopolize a market. I think you could make the case that Disney violates antitrust law in some capacity, but I'm not a lawyer so

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't people think they have a monopoly or at least their very size inhibits competition? What definition of monopoly are people using?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they actually let things go to the public domain like originally intended then it would do a lot to reduce Disney's power.

Bengraven