• Something else entirely

Votes: 39 5.9%
  • It doesn't need to have an abbreviation

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
When it comes to naming conventions and abreviating the Console names the Xbox One ended up going the route of XB1, though the XBone had some traction at first and there was possible alternatives such as Xone & Xbox1. In the end XB1 also worked out better long term by expanding well enough with the subsequent releases with Xbox One S being XB1S and Xbox One X being XB1X. And if you want to count it, amusingly enough the Xbox One S All-Digital ending up as the XB1SAD

But for the Xbox Series X I'm not sure which way it'll end up going and am curious about the popular opinion as I feel like it could go multiple ways since there's various valid arguments and from what I can tell MS hasn't taken a public stance. Priority could be put on fitting the 3 character baseline, accommodating potential subsequent releases or being more careful to not overlap with the Xbox One abbreviations (ie: XBX could be taken to mean the Xbox One X)

8CMFPFHqxpmLQNAERf8CDM-1200-80.jpg

3667447-xboxopt.jpg

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I've been abbreviating it as XSX for a while. When we write a note for the podcast I'm hosting this is the abbreviation we've been using.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it will be abbreviated internally at games retailers. Xbox One was XB1, Switch is NSW, I suppose Series X could be XSX but if the Series S exists I think it would make more sense for it to just be XBX.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was already a given it was XSX?

Anyways its XSX, and pretty soon XSS

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
XSX looks good and it's what I voted for, but it's a mouthful to say the abbreviation. EKS-ES-EKS.
PS5 rolls off the tongue more smoothly. PEE-ES-FAIV.
Series X is easier to pronounce but clunky to type out, to some degree.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
XSX stands for Xbox Series X. There's no reason not to use it.

Good/reasonable shorthand:
Series X = Clear and reasonable length
XSX = Actual shorthand, clear, and useful
XBSX = Semi-shorthand, though what feels like an extra letter

Bad shorthand:
XBX =Doesn't actually match up to the Series X name, and useless for obvious reasons
Xbox SX = Barely shorthand, just write the product name at that point, and feels like an obvious attempt to make "SS" happen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So XSX for Xbox Series X, but what happens when people talk about next-gen Xbox systems in general, including Series S?

XSXS? Or XSX for "xbox S and X"?

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Probably say Series X most of the time. But man I really wish they chose a different name.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I really think we should just call it the Xbox, it's just a lot simpler than the future of thread titles and posts having XSX and XSS. That's just confusing.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Xbox SeX

But really, in pretty much all situations I'll just call it the Xbox. Just like I have for every Xbox I've owned, and just like I have for every Playstation I've owned.

EDIT: to be clear, I call the Playstation Playstation, not Xbox

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see a large majority being sensible. Edit: in the poll, not the SeX comments.