• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Or explore a rusty underwater ship full or broken glass with her bare feet.
hqdefault.jpg

IIRC, even those last gen releases had a variety of attire for Lara to wear depending on where and what she was doing at the time.

Really, people want the sex doll back? The OG Lara has as much personality as an inflatable adult toy.

New Lara has an actual personality, the games explore her development. The old Lara might be more "iconic", but her character is also two gigantic tits and a big ass.

I can't believe people want that back. The new games are part of a great wave of leaving behind the dreadful habit of objectifying women in the gaming industry by making them busty asses to look at.

The new Lara is a person, she's better off like this and the industry is too.

Eh, I think they tried with the new Lara but the execution left a lot to be desired. It primarily came down pursuing a character arc not conducive to the medium, or at least how things were handled within the games. Going from guilt ridden trembling mess to sharp shooter mass exterminator Mary Sue within the span of a few moments was a prime example of cognitive dissonance. And then I had heard and now read in this thread about how problematic her depiction in the third game with Colonial overtones and as white saviour was.

All in all, while there is no reason to regress, there definitely needs to be a better rendition of Lara in a future reboot that understands the pitfalls of medium and works around it. Personally, given her iconic status, I hope they ditch the origin story stuff altogether.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I agree that, while not necessarily bringing old Lara wholesale, taking inspiration from the 90s games would be awesome - it worked for Capcom's franchises and it worked wonderfully for Doom 2016 - I think in general PlayStation 4 era was in many ways going back to the values of 90s games focusing on bombastic action and exploration. To be honest, Lara in the games had v little personality, it was mostly the pandering marketing that did most of the job. But for the new games it could be a starting point in order to "fix" the timeline.

I would really like if they brought aspects of Angelina Jolie's Lara (sue me!) into making her a badass female character owning her sexuality maybe even in the way like Bayonetta does. I think she can look sexy without being mindless pandering and having that 90s aesthetic while spinning it into a feminist story could be really subversive.

I know the modern TR trilogy is a product of its time but its problematic approach to Lara (it feels like there was more work done to her death animations than fleshing her out as a protagonist tbh) and the game design is no longer fun. Automated, Uncharted like climbing; poor shootout sections; skill trees - none of it is actually all that good and while I enjoyed my time with Shadow... yeah it was a shadow of the series.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I would love an carbon copy of Bob Morane, just with Lara.

Bob Morane was always one of my favorite Artifact, Adventure, Evil destroyer besides Indiana Jones and Tintin.
Some time travel mixed with an prolific Villain and a diverse cast of friends and aquaintences could be awesome.

Deleted member 932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Firstly, vocal incels and vocally excessive thirsty men are minority. While they generally scarcely if ever technically represent the broader install-base of any game, it is foolhardy to believe these people were not courted by publishers regardless of whatever intent developers might have had. After all, unless there is evidence to the contrary, I can't recall seeing push back from either the devs or pubs when the editorial of magazines I provided examples of went public with their rendition of Lara.
  • Secondly, with regards to design, Lara's design is as aforementioned, iconic. But I have serious reservations about the critical thinking skills of anyone who posits that the developers and publishers did not take into account the make-up of the demographic of audience back in the mid-90s, when they wanted to make a third person action puzzle platformer featuring a female protagonist and had to figure out a design that would resonate with said audience.
  • Thirdly, your argument that criticizing OG TR games somehow does disservice to the character's design and her in-game strengths because a female developer was instrumental in the creation of the game's level is a non-sequitur.
    And on a tangent: Women are not a monolith and sometimes (in the past and at times in present) to survive in a white male dominated industry gender and ethnic minorities have had to walk on eggshells and tow the line to get along with the majority. With rise of MeToo movements we have seen just how problematic and ugly our entertainment industry (including games) has historically been and only recently people are becoming unafraid to open up. The Riot Games incident in this regard was an eye opener.
  • Fourthly, I shall repeat myself- I do NOT like the modern reboot. I tired of RotTR to the point where I had no interest in playing SotTR even when it was available on GamePass. Just because reboot's writing department was headed by a female author/writer, does not automatically grant it immunity from criticisms. The only positive aspect I have mentioned explicitly is how the developers had fairly consistently dressed Lara for the occasion in RotTR.
  • Fifthly, insofar as the OG design goes, I'd have liked it when I was a teenager (and I think I did like it then) but being in 30s now, that design to me no longer exists in vacuum.
    Does that design still have a place in a new TR game? Of course, and it all depends on the context
  • Sixthly, the last point about pushback being greater on the "more progressive end of the spectrum" - Can I get some examples?
  • Seventhly, thanks for the link to the book
  • Lastly, Lara's design sensibility will be dictated by how grounded in reality the dev team wants to make the next project as well as whether it will in Third person or Isometric. Lara is or should be character who ought not to be beholden to a singular attire (and technically she hasn't been for a while now, rather the OG attire's iconic nature makes it easy to merchandise as well as cosplay) because her sass, agility and ingenuity comes from within and not some pieces of fabric. Except the current Lara who I am not a fan of.

Point by point
  • What do you mean courted by publishers? No one ever questioned that male teenagers were the target audience of the marketing push. That does not imply that the game could have never resonated with a different audience. Actually, the fact that it DID resonate with a diverse audience, DESPITE the ads and tha magazines and everything else should be taken as an indication of just how strong the character was. In regards to pushback from the devs, the guy who created Lara Croft leaving the studio after the first game, explicitly citing his dissatisfaction for the way Lara was portrayed outside of the games is not enough of a pushback for you? (Although I grant you that the re-design he did for Legend was terrible). Should the devs have thrown away their creation (and their jobs), because Lara was being depicted in incongruous ways outside of the games? This is ridiculous
  • You criticise people like me ("lack of critical skills") who appreciate the design, but you haven't criticised the design yourself yet; this is what people call an ad hominem argumment. Why dont't you tell us what you find wrong about the pictures I posted, instead of attacking me?
  • Allow me to quote myself
    Secondly, many women, including Heather Gibson who was one of the most important level designers on the original titles (and actually the person who created the very first lever for the TRI prototype), were involved in the creation of the original games. It seems to me that claiming that Lara was merely a product designed to entice the male audience, and that all the positive attributes she had were mere unintentional side effects, is to discount the importance that these people had in the development of the IP
    The dev team that worked on TR was made of less than 10 people, if memory serves. A far cry from today's dev teams, and certainly a vastly different situation from Riot games. The TR team had no hierarchical structure and everyone pitched their own ideas. Also, I never spoke of "critcising the original games"; as you can read in my post, I took issues with people who claim that "Lara was a product designed to entice the male audience".
  • So what? I've never taken issues with anyone appreciation of the modern games when discussing the character design, because we can look at these 2 aspects seprately. I don't know why you'd feel the need to reiterate that you don't like the modern games
  • This is not a criticism, an argument or anything. It's handwaving. Please, explain what you dislike about it.
  • We were talking about Lara's clothing in the reboots, correct? Specifically, I was thinking about the supposed controversy around her more defined body in SotTR. The fact that, by the third game with photorealistic graphics, they finally gave her some muscles was a good thing (progressive relatively to the low standards of videogames protagonists)
  • As I explained above, I think the idea of grounding Lara is not a very good one to begin with

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Really, people want the sex doll back? The OG Lara has as much personality as an inflatable adult toy.

New Lara has an actual personality, the games explore her development. The old Lara might be more "iconic", but her character is also two gigantic tits and a big ass.

I can't believe people want that back. The new games are part of a great wave of leaving behind the dreadful habit of objectifying women in the gaming industry by making them busty asses to look at.

The new Lara is a person, she's better off like this and the industry is too.

It's hard not to see "old Lara didn't have a personality" as sexism in itself at this point. Especially as near-identical posts like these were done to praise of the LAU Crystal Dynamics Lara, who had a more overt personality, but is suddenly an airhead pair of tits now because marketing for the reboot suddenly decided they didn't have a story either?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really liked the "just right" size of the pseudo-open world in TR2013 too vs. modern day Ubi bloat. It'd be interesting to go back to it to see how it is. I do remember liking Rise more, but TR2013 was one of the first games of this type that I got into. Parts of it reminded me of Uncharted, but I thought TR2013 did some of those things better, like the climbing/traversal. It's been a long time though, so my memory isn't totally clear admittedly.

The only thing I thought was really good about TR2013 was that the controls felt really tight. Otherwise it felt like a miniaturized typical AAA open-world game where you mostly kill and loot things and occasionally solve a puzzle.

Like I said earlier, the ideal open-world or even semi-open-world Tomb Raider would probably just be a Zelda clone with guns. Even Breath of the Wild arguably did the "survivor" angle better. Just take that, make the "tombs" a bigger part, and replace the horse with a jeep or something (like the Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy jeep).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If only any of the latest TR games copied Uncharted...
That's what I was gonna say.

TR2013 felt designed more like a Ubisoft game than Uncharted.
Fuck Uncharted. I hated the whole focus on cinematic setpiecing and guided sense of "exploration" while having the story constantly shoved in my face like it was the most important thing.

Yep, gameplay should be the focus, not story. At the end of the day, the harder they try to justify Lara's actions, the bigger the hole they dig for themselves. Let Tomb Raider be about puzzles and exploration again, non of this stealth + third-person cover shooting gallery + "survival mechanics" + overly drawn quicktime event cinematics and loading corridors.

Lara is all about that parkour, ledge grabbing and shimmying to reach otherwise unreachable areas, and while using the bow to create ropes was nice, it still felt very limited. Maybe whatever grappling tether she uses next would basically allow her to attach to certain surfaces instead of just one fixed point like a pole, that way she would have to reattach the rope a certain way if, say, she wanted to get to the other side of the ledge...

While the classic games weren't exactly groundbreaking for their level design, the element were already there for them to explore interesting ways for Lara to traverse seemingly impossible gaps or heights. I recall playing the Croft Manor in Legends excercises and spending hours just trying to make my way up those upper rafters. It was very gratifying when I finally found the object that allowed me to unlock something else within the house. They just need to focus more on cleaver level design for the next one, instead of trying hard to write a Hollywood script.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, gameplay should be the focus, not story. At the end of the day, the harder they try to justify Lara's actions, the bigger the hole they dig for themselves. Let Tomb Raider be about puzzles and exploration again, non of this stealth + third-person cover shooting gallery + "survival mechanics" + overly drawn quicktime event cinematics and loading corridors.

Lara is all about that parkour, ledge grabbing and shimmying to reach otherwise unreachable areas, and while using the bow to create ropes was nice, it still felt very limited. Maybe whatever grappling tether she uses next would basically allow her to attach to certain surfaces instead of just one fixed point like a pole, that way she would have to reattach the rope a certain way if, say, she wanted to get to the other side of the ledge...

While I agree with you here, I kinda feel like Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy provided the balance between action, exploration, and puzzle--solving I was looking for. Maybe others disagree.

And also, the first Tomb Raider games I played were the trilogy that came before the reboots -- Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, and I liked all three of those games. I liked how they handled the platforming and puzzles, they just didn't have great combat.

I don't know man, maybe a good idea would be to go in more of an Ico/Sands of Time direction where it's a somewhat smaller-scale game that's focused on exploring one location with complex puzzles in each area.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
And also, the first Tomb Raider games I played were the trilogy that came before the reboots -- Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, and I liked all three of those games. I liked how they handled the platforming and puzzles, they just didn't have great combat.
The Legends "trilogy" was actually a reboot in of itself, making TR2013 a second attempt at a reboot.

As for being smaller scaled games focusing on one location, in certain instances, Legends had those moments, but I do agree they need to squeeze more puzzle elements per space, or maybe take some pointers from Prey/Arkane Studios or other Metroidvanias were you unlock shortcuts that lead back to earlier rooms.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Point by point
  • What do you mean courted by publishers? No one ever questioned that male teenagers were the target audience of the marketing push. That does not imply that the game could have never resonated with a different audience. Actually, the fact that it DID resonate with a diverse audience, DESPITE the ads and tha magazines and everything else should be taken as an indication of just how strong the character was. In regards to pushback from the devs, the guy who created Lara Croft leaving the studio after the first game, explicitly citing his dissatisfaction for the way Lara was portrayed outside of the games is not enough of a pushback for you? (Although I grant you that the re-design he did for Legend was terrible). Should the devs have thrown away their creation (and their jobs), because Lara was being depicted in incongruous ways outside of the games? This is ridiculous

You do know that I wrote that the her OG design was "iconic", right? And yes, this means that her design popularity permeated through demographics beyond what was expected. But as you conceded, it had to overcome the blatantly problematic issues arising from her depiction in pop media under the implied consent of publishers which even the person who designed her felt short changed by. That is what I mean by courting.

And talking of why she became iconic, one has to ask, how many other games featured an action-hero female protagonist at the time? It's not like women had a lot of choice at the time or for sometime after. IIRC, aside from Samus in environmentally isolated armour, Joanna Dark came into existence 4 years after and the game was in first person. So for a time, Lara was the only one in a sea of male action heroes.

Additionally, on the topic of "courting" by publishers (and this pertains to publishers in general, both in and out of business), I don't know if you are legitimately not in the know or these are just bad faith argument but it is pretty evident publishers via marketing campaigns have courted people, some of who essentially became the GamerGate self appointed gatekeepers. This Thread is a great example of what publishers implicitly/explicitly consented to for quite a notable period of time. There is a price to pay for nurturing and mollycoddling a culture of misogynistic/sexist/phobic thought processes. And only the privileged are truly blind to it.

• You criticise people like me ("lack of critical skills") who appreciate the design, but you haven't criticised the design yourself yet; this is what people call an ad hominem argumment. Why dont't you tell us what you find wrong about the pictures I posted, instead of attacking me?

I put her OG design into perspective pertaining to what the devs thought would appease their target market, how she was marketed in that attire at the time and how that design whilst outdated can still be incorporated in very select circumstances. My assertion about lack of critical thought process pertains to the notion that that aspect was somehow not a factor in her design.

• Allow me to quote myself
    The dev team that worked on TR was made of less than 10 people, if memory serves. A far cry from today's dev teams, and certainly a vastly different situation from Riot games. The TR team had no hierarchical structure and everyone pitched their own ideas. Also, I never spoke of "critcising the original games"; as you can read in my post, I took issues with people who claim that "Lara was a product designed to entice the male audience".

I think there is a misunderstanding here somewhere. I am trying draw the line between her attire (i.e. design) and how she was portrayed to during marketing campaigns and magazines from her as a person and what she is capable of. Marketing material evidence suggests her visage was designed to be able to be marketed to the predominant portion of the market of the time- heretosexual white men. In the west, game development in the 90s and even early 00s were essentially by the heterosexual white men for the heterosexual white men.

• So what? I've never taken issues with anyone appreciation of the modern games when discussing the character design, because we can look at these 2 aspects seprately. I don't know why you'd feel the need to reiterate that you don't like the modern games

Because you wrote: " for the sake of elevating the newer ones to heights that would appear much more modest if they were to be compared with the classic TR games. "

I was looking at them separately.

• This is not a criticism, an argument or anything. It's handwaving. Please, explain what you dislike about it.

What I dislike or rather bothers me about the OG design is how besides the whole TnA factor, is that if Lara was Laurentius, he would be designed with a lot more practicality in mind. With all that bare skin in different environments with myriad types of hazards, Lara was functionally an Amazonian, who was on a fair few occasions, marketed to target audience as sexual object of desire.

• We were talking about Lara's clothing in the reboots, correct? Specifically, I was thinking about the supposed controversy around her more defined body in SotTR. The fact that, by the third game with photorealistic graphics, they finally gave her some muscles was a good thing (progressive relatively to the low standards of videogames protagonists)

Okay, I do not recall this. In fact, given what Lara does, she'd have to actually look like extreme cross-fit trainers and/or MMA fighters. Bigger Latissimus Dorsi and Trapezius muscles. In fact, it is a pet peeve of mine that even now, women are seldom designed appropriately for the physical challenges they, like their male counterparts, overcome. Cassandra and Aloy are the two exceptions I have seen thus far. Now, what do remember is some folks taking umbrage with what they considered was borderline cultural appropriation pertaining to attire. I may be mistaken but it might have been quelled after the context of the attire was discussed. Of course, it was kind of the tip of the ice berg for the overall (aforementioned) white savior related angle problem.

• As I explained above, I think the idea of grounding Lara is not a very good one to begin with

Well, it does come down to the developers. And unless the devs are visually going for a more stylized aesthetic, the game will "grounded" (insofar as compared to other "realistic" games in the genre).

Anyway, it's been a long chat. Consider this my final response. Writing long responses tire me out. Cheers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I would really like if they brought aspects of Angelina Jolie's Lara (sue me!) into making her a badass female character owning her sexuality maybe even in the way like Bayonetta does. I think she can look sexy without being mindless pandering and having that 90s aesthetic while spinning it into a feminist story could be really subversive.
Yeah people are way too focused on her looks and unneccessary negative on old Lara as a character. She was a stronger woman than just about any other woman in gaming today, no need for any man or other side character to help her out, she took care of things herself, with a badass attitude.

And in reality people can be skinny, fat, short, tall, curvy, muscular, etc, born that way or even from surgery and that's perfectly fine, even when doing sports. In gaming the character's body suddenly has to make perfect sense from how they use their muscles or whatever, and the irony of it all is that this discussion would happen even when cars are flying and T-Rexes are stomping about or other things happens that are hardly based on reality.
Boring discussion. Lets focus on how to correct the game instead of her cup size.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

While the classic games weren't exactly groundbreaking for their level design, the element were already there for them to explore interesting ways for Lara to traverse seemingly impossible gaps or heights. I recall playing the Croft Manor in Legends excercises and spending hours just trying to make my way up those upper rafters. It was very gratifying when I finally found the object that allowed me to unlock something else within the house. They just need to focus more on cleaver level design for the next one, instead of trying hard to write a Hollywood script.
Yeah the old games had a much clearer rule set on how big gaps she could jump over, almost built in blocks, you could do a stand still jump or a running jump, with set lengths, and that's it. 2D Prince of Persia in 3D. And with the lack of hand-holding it made the platforming itself rewarding to figure out how to reach the spots wanted to reach.

They made it possible to remove some hand-holding in Shadow and I think that's the right move going forward but they still have a long way to reach the first game on exploration and platforming.

I think they should take some ideas from BOTW and AC Odyssey regarding the traversal freedom, multiple paths and multiple ways to get there. Present the tools but leave it up to the player to figure out how to use them. Both Shadow and Rise are still way ahead of Uncharted they tried to copy when it comes to traversal, but they could be even better no doubt.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who loves the newest Tomb Raider games, I disagree with almost everything on the OP.
I'd be down with more open and exploration based levels and less Uncharted-like things. But for the most part the new games rule.
Exactly.

The recent trilogy is peak Tomb Raider imo and the devs have been steadily making improvements with each sequel and have addressed nearly all of my concerns with quality tomb raiding in SotTR.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people didn't play Shadow, because it actually fixes a bunch of these issues. Much less combat, much more puzzles, better platforming, more interesting character arc, etc. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it a lot.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Reboots is the best Tombraider compared to the janky old games. I like the fact that they didn't over sexualize her like the previous games too, made no sense. Also i found the reboots to be way better than the Uncharted games, coming from someone who recently completed 4.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they bring back her unquenchable love of Lucozade Sport.

I must disagree with OP though in regards to bringing back the 90's Lara Croft. There's a reason why things like that get left behind. I do think though that the first 5-10 minutes of Tomb Raider II would be worth a study by the developers. The atmosphere is excellent for such an old game.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the old games had a much clearer rule set on how big gaps she could jump over, almost built in blocks, you could do a stand still jump or a running jump, with set lengths, and that's it. 2D Prince of Persia in 3D. And with the lack of hand-holding it made the platforming itself rewarding to figure out how to reach the spots wanted to reach.

They made it possible to remove some hand-holding in Shadow and I think that's the right move going forward but they still have a long way to reach the first game on exploration and platforming.

I think they should take some ideas from BOTW and AC Odyssey regarding the traversal freedom, multiple paths and multiple ways to get there. Present the tools but leave it up to the player to figure out how to use them. Both Shadow and Rise are still way ahead of Uncharted they tried to copy when it comes to traversal, but they could be even better no doubt.
I was not aware Shadow was calling back to the older design phylosophies of the classic games. I do agree: less hand holding and more about leaving it up to the player to figure out where to go next. No guide or objective markers, either (except those placed by the player).

I still dislike the Uncharted fomula due to how spectacle is always at the forfront. But maybe I just prefer games that prefer gameplay over story (see my Prey thread about how much I disliked Bioshock because of the constant "being railroaded for the sake of the story").

Also, to the people who hate old Lara: Was the Legends Trilogy (Legends, Anniversary, Underworld) really that bad in terms of portrayal? To me, it seemed what they were going for was more of a female James Bond. Also I was hoping they would develop the Amanda frendship relationship more in this reboot, but it feels like they got siderailed by the whole Lara's father/Trinity thing...which is disappointing.

But yeah, I still kinda like Legends because Lara had a rival who wasn't an ancient god(dess) (Natla), or some sort of antagonist co-worker in the field (Larson, James Rutland). Amanda could've been developed better as someone who was the only person capable of outsmarting Lara on her next move, but alas.

Edit: I seemed to have confused Amanda Evert with Samantha Nishimura. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah people are way too focused on her looks and unneccessary negative on old Lara as a character. She was a stronger woman than just about any other woman in gaming today, no need for any man or other side character to help her out, she took care of things herself, with a badass attitude.

And in reality people can be skinny, fat, short, tall, curvy, muscular, etc, born that way or even from surgery and that's perfectly fine, even when doing sports. In gaming the character's body suddenly has to make perfect sense from how they use their muscles or whatever, and the irony of it all is that this discussion would happen even when cars are flying and T-Rexes are stomping about or other things happens that are hardly based on reality.
Boring discussion. Lets focus on how to correct the game instead of her cup size.

Just in case you misunderstood my intent. I think in case of older games her sexualisation was an issue and is issue to this day with games offering shitty pandering to male audiences and with the lack of good representation of female leads. I think 90s Lara could do with some design tweaks - the brash spirit of her original design never lied in the size of her breasts, yes, but when the video games feature teenage boy representation of women in most of the games, then this is something to consider IMO.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I agree with everything you said, plus:

- Real platforming instead of uncharted-like stuff with tons of script, assists etc.
- No survival or RPG elements like crafting, XP, etc. Keep this shit out of my TR.
- The less cringy story the better.
- I think TR works both as a level-based game or more metroid-like (like Tomb Raider IV, one of the best games in the franchise), but i would like the former more.
I don't agree with everything OP said, but i agree with all of this.

Classic Lara can't be done in 2020, maybe the clothes but that's it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just make the game more focused on platforming and I mean skill-based platforming and climbing. Innovate and try implementing brand new mechanics instead of jumping and holding the left stick up. I don't know how to do it, I'm not a designer, but it must be done. Maybe something like Grow Up but more felshed out?

Either 1) Get rid of all the half-assed survival and RPG mechanics or 2) Go all in on survival with no compromises.

Get rid of all the full-auto weapons. Pistols and arrows are fine.

Nature should be the enemy, not humans, they're boring.

Last edited:

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, it's been a long chat. Consider this my final response. Writing long responses tire me out. Cheers.

lol, off to the ignore list

edit: sorry, but I really have to address at least one of the things you said

What I dislike or rather bothers me about the OG design is how besides the whole TnA factor, is that if Lara was Laurentius, he would be designed with a lot more practicality in mind. With all that bare skin in different environments with myriad types of hazards, Lara was functionally an Amazonian, who was on a fair few occasions, marketed to target audience as sexual object of desire.

Like, have you ever seen any videogame protagonist from the 90s? Like, doom guy with exposed skin on the surface of fucking Phobos? Any character from any fighting game with no protection whatsoever ? Shirtless Indiana Jones from the movies? Who the fuck cares about practicality in game when you fight a T-Rex?! Mind you, this is not meant to be an excuse to have Lara jumping around in a bikini, but "exposed skin" is a ridiculous concern. Like, your problem is that she wears shorts as opposed to pants? Ironically, considering all the climbing that she does, short are more appropriate than pants

Last edited:

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
The new tomb raider games are all 100 percent complete on my xbox one x, I loved every single minute. I wouldn't change a second of any of them.

I suggest the people who dont like this series now, find something else as I can't imagine it changing any time soon.

Oh and much better than the uncharted games which I bought the collection, uncharted 4 and the girls dlc as some said they were similar games but they were not as good in my opinion.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I guess everyone agrees they want a return to skill based platforming, and less emphasis on (the cringy) story. And ditch the Uncharted influences and crafting/survival shit.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, whenever I've had enough of resetera and I leave it for some time, it is always threads about og TRs that bring me back (and make me feel so bad that I leave again immediately after)

People are unwilling to critically engage in a conversation. Of course, og Lara design is just a silly example, but this is a trend you can see in almost every conversation that happens here, which is of course itself reflective of the attitude society at large has toward critical thinking

Opinions that are popular and guaranteed to make you look like the guy on the right side of history, so to say, will be repeated at nauseum by people who clearly do not even understand what they are talking about

When confronted directly about their ignorance said people will only answer in oblique ways, if at all

So once again, you people who say that old Lara was a "sex doll" designed for "horny teenagers", what do you see in this design

tumblr_puy75sMx3e1r95foao1_1280.jpg

i.e. Lara design in TR II and III, her most iconic look, that you makes you feel that way?

Honestly, if I were to take those opinions at face value, I would think that they are reflective of the way the people who post them looked at Lara when they were themselves teenager. Notwithstanding the marketing and everything else, never I perceived Lara to be a sex doll. If anything, by playing the games, what I liked the most about her was her culture (her bedroom is filled to the brim with books, and in the room next to it there's an harp and a piano. If you go in the training room, you can turn on the stereo and listen to classical music. She's also a professional writer and her mansion is basically a museum) her personality (I remember when I was kid I used re-enact for fun some of the cutscenes of the game) her "coolness" (to which her look - double pistols, shades, braid and yes, even the fucking shorts and the tank top - contributed quite a deal).

If you think that the design is only meant to titilate horny teenager, that's because you are projecting. In the 90's I wasn't a fucking teenager yet, I was a kid, who looked up at Lara as an inspiration. And even now, as a 27 yeard old guy looking back at that design as critically as possible (and here I mean specifically the design I posted above, the in-game model of TRIV and V is pretty bad and sticks closer to the CG model, I won't deny that), there's nothing that strikes me as sexualised. And believe me, I have higher than average standards when it cames to videogame protagonists; it's just that Lara has become the scapegoat of an entire generation of people (and developers) who'd rather forget their past than look at it critically to discern what was bad and what was already good.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just in case you misunderstood my intent. I think in case of older games her sexualisation was an issue and is issue to this day with games offering shitty pandering to male audiences and with the lack of good representation of female leads. I think 90s Lara could do with some design tweaks - the brash spirit of her original design never lied in the size of her breasts, yes, but when the video games feature teenage boy representation of women in most of the games, then this is something to consider IMO.
As I said earlier, originally the sexualization mostly happened outside of the game, with the E3 Lara models posing and magazine ads, some prerendered movies, etc. In the first game she was just a badass strong female Indiana Jones. She was cool. Women can have big breasts, bigger than Lara, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
But if the devs focus on that with the camera work and posing etc then it can absolutely become problematic, even with smaller breasts. So, devs just need to stop doing that, stop making a thing about it, just let her have whatever body the designers want her to have and don't make a thing about it. She's curvy, so what? Big deal. Put in-game Taki beside old in-game Lara and Lara looks like a character from a kids cartoon. :p The old Lara design isolated from everything else is not really a problem as I see it.

But still, I like the new design, I see no reason to go back to the old design unless they design the whole game more cartoony. Playing with old Lara in Shadow feels weird, they need to give the whole game another design to pull that off. Lara in Dagger of Xian works because there are no other characters, if they would use that design then Jonah would have to be equally cartoony, a beefy guy with V back or there would be a clash there.

Last edited:

unknownspectator

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So once again, you people who say that old Lara was a "sex doll" designed for "horny teenagers", what do you see in this design

You see, they have experiences with dealing with sex dolls, so they know what they are talking about. I mean, how many sex dolls have you seen dressed like that?

Jokes aside, I find the reboot lara so much better really. They definitely made her less of a sex doll. I mean, just listen to these grunts and groans:

nothing sexy about that, at all. plus the costumes are so much better, I mean one of them has her cosplaying as nathan drake:

Also, in shadow, I loved the fact that they force the player to wear a certain outfit inside the village. It shows that, despite disturbing the people's history and culture by raiding these tombs and getting them in danger because she wants to complete her father's work, she still cares about them at heart.

Lets talk about the personality in the reboots which is soooo much better. In the old games, Lara croft was independent. She grew up loving tombs more than her posh lifestyle. It came to a point where she would be disowned by her family and has to make her money by adventuring. pfft, boring!

That lara was one-dimensional and you had t find all that info in the manual and who reads those anymore, right? The new lara is vastly superior. New lara does things in the reboot soley to make her deceased father proud! Way more character and exciting than the previous games! Best part is that this origin story takes three games to tell, fleshing out her character! see, most games only have one game, if at all, to tell thier origin story and those are lame! So what if people are impatient and want to get to the tomb raider they know and love, they waited for duke nukem for ever didn't they?

also, bow> dual pistols anyday. more original and less dude bro! right, hunger games?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The problems I had with the reboot trilogy included unchallenging puzzles, not enough exploration, and platforming that was too automated.

i could care less about whether or not her current design looks like her original design or if she has dual pistols.

CD should just have a time skip that can serve as a soft reboot of the current Lara's personality since imo reboot Lara's poor characterization was one of the trilogy's biggest problems.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I popped in TR3. I've never beaten it because I get impatient with it. The difficulty is just amazing and none of the locations are actually interesting to me.

And frankly Lara is a real psychopath in it.

I give her shit for accidentally killing a town in the last TR game and barely showing any signs of caring, but in 3 she straight up murders innocent people for the solo purpose of them trying to protect their property. From local tribesmen, to USA military police, to museum guards, all because they had something she wanted on their property.

I'm really curious the thinking behind this when designing the game. Usually its crooks and cultists and gangsters etc but in 3, cops gonna get shot for being in her path.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Most people here seem to complain a whole lot about the presentation issues, but do people really like the bow + 3rd person Uncharted-style combat and progression that much?

The gameplay in the first 2 reboots were...prestige gamey.
also, bow> dual pistols anyday. more original and less dude bro! right, hunger games?
Fun fact: Everyone was using the bow back in 2013...Even Crysis 3!

I don't mind the bow as an auxilliary weapon, but having it as a mainstay over the dual-pistols doesn't fit well, and in fact I don't see the series as a Hunger Games expy.

Dual-pistols can also be used for puzzle elements as well: shooting rocks/loose debris off walls to uncover latch points for your...bow.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
The old design is awful, the current Lara is much better.

Dont have any strong feeling about the old music/theme.

The recent 2 had more tombs and puzzles; i wouldn't mind more; the combat/exploration mix seems tough to balance.

Less humans enemies and more supernatural beings/animals... could be interesting.

I dont thing the recent series needs a complete overhaul- just more refinement.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Bow is already used extensively for puzzles in Shadow
If anything i'd want just the bow. I don't give a single damn about the dual pistols, or single pistols, shotguns and automatic weapons. They're the worst part and thankfully vastly useless in Shadow, i barely remember using them

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I can see pistols still being used for some enemies (where the bow is ineffective), but I'd rather these enemies be more "mythical creatures" (i.e. wildlife that isn't suppose to exist) than something like humans or humanoids.

Heck, I don't mind if her armaments are reduced to just her bow and pistols. Let her lose the pickaxe and rely more on rock-climbing.

I might try to see if SotT is on sale...I hope my PC can run it.

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow had tombs and less enemies, yes. Still not as good as the PSX era.

You need actual skillful platforming to make tombs good. the new reboot doesn't provide much that was the reason the series was sucessful.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020

Can you say in a different language, or words, what it is you are trying to say here?

I literally understood nothing about this post.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
F*ck yes to all your post. I´ve been saying this for the last decade.

The best Tomb Raider for me was IV: The Last Revelation.

We need:

- The sensation of being alone. Stop bringing humans and Uncharted kind of battles.
- Mythical creatures.
- Deathly traps.
- Jingles for any secret uncovered.
- Harder puzzles.

We need a Tomb Raider IV REMAKE !!

afF0fIe6BlNZGNnpajQKcoRepiBLNAZY2oRQtLcPtqXsKZ5HdoEtsC0LH2J0coFaB3iq_4CILTYpvfDlTV_0abPJsh8CdNVjP2v8Jr_gaBTho1hwLIXEwNX347NC1Wg

DbaZRGZX0AA36Q3.jpg

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
F*ck yes to all your post. I´ve been saying this for the last decade.

The best Tomb Raider for me was IV: The Last Revelation.

We need:

- The sensation of being alone. Stop bringing humans and Uncharted kind of battles.
- Mythical creatures.
- Deathly traps.
- Jingles for any secret uncovered.
- Harder puzzles.

We need a Tomb Raider IV REMAKE !!

afF0fIe6BlNZGNnpajQKcoRepiBLNAZY2oRQtLcPtqXsKZ5HdoEtsC0LH2J0coFaB3iq_4CILTYpvfDlTV_0abPJsh8CdNVjP2v8Jr_gaBTho1hwLIXEwNX347NC1Wg

DbaZRGZX0AA36Q3.jpg

Its a shame a lot of people who comment about classic TR clearly never played IV, saying silly stuff like "The franchise get awful after II (or even III)".

I understand people disliking III. Some of the levels like London were bad, plus the annoying save system on PSX and how dark that version was. Chronicles was admittedly a cash-grab and AoD was a huge mess.

But IV is amazing. A lot of the members of Core Design consider it their masterpiece.

"Tomb Raider 4 was the one we were most proud of, but it was dropping down," Sandham says. "Tomb Raider 5 was effectively a load of old shit. That was the most depressing one for us. We were effectively just doing that for a paycheck because no other team wanted to take it on. So we had to do it, basically. By that time it had taken its toll. Three years of hammering it, and we were burnt out. That shows in the product."

www.eurogamer.net

20 years on, the Tomb Raider story told by the people who were there

In July 2010, Lara Croft Way opened in Derby. The name for part of a new ring road was chosen from a shortlist by publi…

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I
tomb-raider-lara-croft-video-games-tomb-raider-anniversary-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Bring the old Lara Croft Back

And I mean literally everything about the old Lara Croft that made her so freaking ICONIC.

The design of tank top and brown shorts with little brown backpack and dual pistols and the long beautiful braid.

The same for her personality.. the Lara Croft that got so famous that become a phenomena on her own that EVEN none gamers recognize her.

She was a cool badass woman who don't give a shit about anything but her artifacts, she was confident strong ruthless no one DARE to stand on her way because she would simply DESTROY THEM.. and she was very sarcastic and admirable.

She was a true character.

Old Lara is an example of objectification and complete lack of meaningful character.

The new Lara us hardly a shinging example, but bringing that old design back would be a huge step backwards.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Its a shame a lot of people who comment about classic TR clearly never played IV, saying silly stuff like "The franchise get awful after II (or even III)".

I understand people disliking III. Some of the levels like London were bad, plus the annoying save system on PSX and how dark that version was. Chronicles was admittedly a cash-grab and AoD was a huge mess.

But IV is amazing. A lot of the members of Core Design consider it their masterpiece.

"Tomb Raider 4 was the one we were most proud of, but it was dropping down," Sandham says. "Tomb Raider 5 was effectively a load of old shit. That was the most depressing one for us. We were effectively just doing that for a paycheck because no other team wanted to take it on. So we had to do it, basically. By that time it had taken its toll. Three years of hammering it, and we were burnt out. That shows in the product."

www.eurogamer.net

20 years on, the Tomb Raider story told by the people who were there

In July 2010, Lara Croft Way opened in Derby. The name for part of a new ring road was chosen from a shortlist by publi…

Well, that´s odd. Not the IV part, of course. And not TRIII of course, which I didn´t like. It´s odd because I really liked Chronicles and fully played it 2 times. It was depressing, for sure, but I had great times with it. It had average reviews, of course, but that only shows how good IV was.

TR IV being their masterpiece it´s really a nice thing to hear from them, btw.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
As I said earlier, originally the sexualization mostly happened outside of the game, with the E3 Lara models posing and magazine ads, some prerendered movies, etc. In the first game she was just a badass strong female Indiana Jones. She was cool. Women can have big breasts, bigger than Lara, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
But if the devs focus on that with the camera work and posing etc then it can absolutely become problematic, even with smaller breasts. So, devs just need to stop doing that, stop making a thing about it, just let her have whatever body the designers want her to have and don't make a thing about it. She's curvy, so what? Big deal. Put in-game Taki beside old in-game Lara and Lara looks like a character from a kids cartoon. :p The old Lara design isolated from everything else is not really a problem as I see it.

But still, I like the new design, I see no reason to go back to the old design unless they design the whole game more cartoony. Playing with old Lara in Shadow feels weird, they need to give the whole game another design to pull that off. Lara in Dagger of Xian works because there are no other characters, if they would use that design then Jonah would have to be equally cartoony, a beefy guy with V back or there would be a clash there.

yeah I totally agree it was the marketing department that painted "90s Lara" the way they did but still this is the image of her that stuck with the audiences. I do like that Anniversary sort of eschewed that image somewhat while paying homage to the original design.

btw Yes all body shapes are welcome but with video games it tends to be a very specific one when it comes to women. Comparing Lara to Taki or Ivy doesn't really prove a point that Tomb Raider was doing something good about representation.

Can you say in a different language, or words, what it is you are trying to say here?

I literally understood nothing about this post.

perhaps you can check previous post for the context of the reply if you're struggling with English language comprehension

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still working on 3. Who designed these puzzles? Just finished the firs Nevada level. Trying real hard to have fun.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

It's more odd to say people can't judge the classic series for I-II-III because IV is good. And don't get me wrong, it is, but the first trilogy is far more relevant when discussing "the classics" than just this single game, one would think.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
yeah I totally agree it was the marketing department that painted "90s Lara" the way they did but still this is the image of her that stuck with the audiences. I do like that Anniversary sort of eschewed that image somewhat while paying homage to the original design.

btw Yes all body shapes are welcome but with video games it tends to be a very specific one when it comes to women. Comparing Lara to Taki or Ivy doesn't really prove a point that Tomb Raider was doing something good about representation.

perhaps you can check previous post for the context of the reply if you're struggling with English language comprehension

I am asking to clarify what you meant, as not everyone is from a native english speaking country. Perhaps you can try not to be a condescending ass about it though