• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Also, what year?
Did it go smoothly?

I'm 23 (Nearly 24)
I really want to move out, personally, but I have so many issues with it that it seems unattainable,
To start off with, Sydney is really expensive to live in, but all the jobs are here.
Living at home is pretty good financially, as I'm not charged rent and it makes saving easy.
I have money, but my employment is not stable, and I've spend good long chunks of time unemployed. (I get disability pension during these times though)
I have barely any friends (anymore) or a partner to move out with,
And of course, I'm somewhat dependent on my Mother, who tends to end up doing way too many things for me, like cooking food or finding jobs (I have 2 sisters, and they get similar treatment) and she can be a bit of a helicopter parent. On one hand, If I move, I can learn more independence, on the other hand, I am forced to be more independent, which is somewhat a daunting prospect for one on the spectrum.

With the smoke, the bush fires, the drought I would really like to move south, to where things are milder and somewhat rainier and cooler, hopefully.

Last edited:

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
24 and instantly when I started living alone I went "Why the fuck didn't I do this sooner". That said, I had a stable job at that point so that helped a ton financially.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm 25 OP, and almost in the exact same position (except I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area which is even more expensive, I'm employed, and my mom while she helps me with a metric ton of stuff doesn't ever do anything for job hunting for me). So don't feel too bad. I'm probably gonna have to move out in the next couple of years if I decide to take transitioning seriously tho. I also totally understand the feeling of "I should learn to be more independent so I can be more like a real person, but achieving total independence is very difficult if you're on the spectrum and not used to it".

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
22 as a student. my parents were on a low income so i paid 'board' (essentially cheaper rent) from 19 or so onwards.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Moved out for university at 19 and am back at my moms at 24 looking for jobs now. Don't mind it too much since I don't have many friends or date so the free rent is helpful.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Also, what year?
Did it go smoothly?

I'm 23 (Nearly 24)
I really want to move out, personally, but I have so many issues with it that it seems unattainable,
To start off with, Sydney is really expensive to live in, but all the jobs are here.
Living at home is pretty good financially, as I'm not charged rent and it makes saving easy.
I have money, but my employment is not stable, and I've spend good long chunks of time unemployed. (I get disability pension during these times though)
I have no friends (anymore) or a partner to move out with,
And of course, I'm somewhat dependent on my Mother, who tends to end up doing way too many things for me, like cooking food or finding jobs (I have 2 sisters, and they get similar treatment) and she can be a bit of a helicopter parent. On one hand, If I move, I can learn more independence, on the other hand, I am forced to be more independent, which is somewhat a daunting prospect for one on the spectrum.

With the smoke, the bush fires, the drought I would really like to move south, to where things are milder and somewhat rainier and cooler, hopefully.
Are you me lol? I'm 22, nearly 23 but other than the slight location difference what you wrote is practically my life though my Mother is very much not a helicopter parent, I pay rent and cook as well a general house work but otherwise she leaves me as independently as one can be while living with their parent. Part of the issue is that at the moment I don't have a reason to move out, my situation works for both me and my (single parent) mother who I get on very well with, I'm close to both TAFE and CSU as well as everything else as it's only a city of 60,000~. The biggest plus for me moving out would be learning to be more independent but that's about it. Of course, I will move out, probably sooner rather than later as I don't want to grow too dependant but stable employment is extremely hard to find in country Australia (I currently rely on New Start and Disability Support), especially with half of it being on fire at the moment. Not to mention I'm currently at TAFE which is very close by so moving at the moment would hurt me way more than help both school and finance wise.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I'm trying to figure it out myself.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
1998, I'd just turned 17 and had a full time job. My dad surprised me and paid for my first 6 months rent which was amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Lol, most people my age didn't move out for uni/college, with one big exception who ran away to newcastle.
I guess there's little reason to when most unis are in Sydney.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
18. Went to college in a different area. Got job in area. Later, I moved to Seattle

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
24, but I don't know if it counts. It was for job-related reasons, and I was there for only 5 months.
The next year I also did the same.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Lol, most people my age didn't move out for uni/college, with one big exception who ran away to newcastle.
I guess there's little reason to when most unis are in Sydney.
Yeah I don't know anyone who moved out before 22, it doesn't seem to be that uncommon in Australia to live with parents while going to school as it's generally not going to be very far away and everything in this forsaken country costs an arm and a leg lol.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Im Australian I moved out at 18 with a few friends and not long after that I moved to the USA.
I couldn't have afforded it on my own but I really liked living with my friends.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
You don't sound like you're in a good position to move out. I'd recommenced getting a more stable job then worry about moving out. There's no rush

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
27. Waited until I was done with 11 years of uni and then moved out and bought a house. My family and I aren't very compatible housemates though so it was really rough near the end.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I was 24 and had built up a decent amount of savings. Circumstances made me leave my home but fortunately my parents helped with the move, so it went really smoothly.
Best move I ever made, I'm in a far better place mentally than I was back then.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
No

It was crazy fun for the first while but then I realized I didnt know how to take care of myself properly and I had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Moved out at 20 year old old but 100% financially autonomous at 22 only.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
31 years old, going on two years ago.

Went very smoothly, in no small part due to my parents only living a five-minute drive away. Had plenty of help moving, getting set up, etc.

If I could give people a single piece of advice, it'd be to live with your parents for as long as you can (whether that means as long as they'll allow you, or as long as you can stomach it). There'll never be a better way to save money.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

I grew up on a tiny island so there was nothing to do after I finished school so I moved away by myself.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
18 as a student. No regrets & I never looked back. I've been living in flat shares for nearly a decade now though and I'm so ready to have a place of my own.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A day before my 21st. It was alright. I moved to a 5 minute walk to my then-work.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
19, moved in with some highschool friends, made slot of mistakes the next couple of years, but it was a blast.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
17/18 can't remember precisely, moved in with my then girlfriend. Moved back home couple years later and bit further on I went on my own and I still am.

Oct 25, 2017
23 for school. I moved back in with my parents after I graduated this year, but I have a stable job so I'm just saving up money and I'll probably get move out again around May or June of next year

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
21, I moved out for my last year of University. My girlfriend and I rented a flat in Glasgow and loved it. Then when we graduated rather than move back with our respective parents we moved up to Edinburgh together and still live there now, 6 years later.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I first moved out at 25. When I was 24 my Dad decided he couldn't afford to keep our old family home where me and my Mum lived and also move back to the country with my now step mum (long story, but I only found out about that like a few years prior, he got sent to work away a few years before that and him and my Mum who was disabled's relationship had been rocky for a very long time)

My mum moved into assisted living near where he moved to and I moved in with him and I soon learned that me and my step mum are completely different in all facets of life and I couldn't stand living with her. It was hell. I decided to try my best to move out and moved into this pretty awful studio apartment for the last 3 years and while I was happy to be independent it wasn't until the beginning of this year when my mum passed away that I realised how bad it was. With the money she left me I managed to get a deposit on a flat which I now share own and it's so much better than what I had before, my last place was terrible.

My advice would be unless you really don't have a choice don't rush into the first place you can afford, renting is shit and you'll never be able to save to get your own deposit and you'll find yourself trapped.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
19, military service one year, then studying. I moved back for a time after graduation while working before I could afford to borrow for an apartment.