• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
33. First played FF6 but not much. I'd still say 7 was my real first.

7,8, and 9 were the last good ones IMO

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I am an ancient that hails from time immemorial... and I was on board the Final Fantasy train right from the beginning way back in the summer of 1990.

I received this hallowed bible with my monthly subscription to Nintendo Power...

71W7-1mwI%2BL._AC_SL1368_.jpg

I was enthralled by the possibilities it promised... a game with such ambition and scale with dungeons to conquer and crystals to collect.

I proceeded to spend two weeks of that summer ignoring the gorgeous weather outside and instead hunched in front of the television as my Fighter / Monk / Black Mage / White Mage starting team (that I named after other kids I knew) embarked upon a timeless adventure that I shall never forget.

I'm 37, got this in the mail with Nintendo power and made sure that my 'Birthday Game" was Final Fantasy. Had gotten the first Dragon Warrior from Nintendo Power earlier so I had an idea what I was getting into but it was way more advanced at the time than DW was.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
24 and I first played Final Fantasy VIII when I was seven in 2002, my aunt was playing it on vacation and let me play and I became obsessed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30. My only exposure to FF in the 90s was pictures from VII, VIII, and IX in magazines. I was a Nintendo kid.
My first time playing the series was when I was 11. I played the original game and then a fan translation of FFII on an emulator. Probably 2000, but I don't think I beat them until about a year later.
I didn't really touch the series again other than watching my friend and brother play a bit of VII and IX until I was 16.
I was a Kingdom Hearts fan and had been meaning to check the games out sicne I liked the characters.
After beating KHII, I marathoned the entire series, including all the spinoffs. This was 2006. I've been a huge fan ever since.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 and my first Final Fantasy was VII.

We got the game and a PS1 back in 1997. My parents wouldn't let me play it since I was only 8, but I got to be my dads navigator while he played (aka I read the strategy guide and helped him). I didn't play myself until a few years later.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
I'm 21 and haven't played a Final Fantasy game yet, since I've been waiting for FF VII remake... Should I give FFX remake a try? 🤔

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
39. Final Fantasy 1 on NES. That game captivated me. I used to think about it at school while I was playing it. Few games have done that to me only the ones that really captured my imagination. Destiny and the Vault of Glass did that to me too.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I'm 22 and my first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy V Advance. I asked for any GBA Final Fantasy for Christmas (this was 2006) and my dad picked FF5 out of all of them. Weird one to start with but I loved it. Never finished it though.

Later went on to play FF6, FF7, FF4, and FF8 in that order. Final Fantasy VII's my favorite with FF6 close behind.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
37, and while my brothers and I rented the first Final Fantasy when I was a kid and I played FF6 at a friend's house (I didn't have an SNES until 1999), technically my first would be FF7.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I was 9 years old when the first game released on NES. I think I played it in '89 when I was around 11. I am 41 years old, now.

I remember spending dozens of hours grinding to level 99 and exploring every inch of the map. My twin brother and I would just leave the menu on to listen to the music. Man it was a great time.

I haven't liked any of the successors like that first one. I liked how the characters were basic cut outs. I like filling in the blanks in my turn based rpgs rather than having fleshed out characters and stories.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm 51, and the first Final Fantasy for me was the original Final Fantasy for the NES when it was eventually released in North America in 1990.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 28 yo and I remember that I was just a kid when my brother used to play the first one on the NES.

I must have played 4 or 5 a couple of years later.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I'm 23 and went back and forth between XII and III (DS) in 2006. I was 11 at the time and immediately fell in love with them. I have since become a huge fan of the whole series. I've gone back to play the other games (haven't played VIII or XI just yet) and I loved them all, but XII and III will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm proud to say that I was able to beat III, which is regarded by many to be the hardest in the series, at such a relatively young age. By the way, I think Eternal Wind from III will always remain as my single most cherished piece of music I have ever experienced.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm 39. I played FF1 back in '89, but didn't enjoy it.

Played FFII (IV) in '91, enjoyed it, got it as a gift in early '92, and I've been a fan ever since.

Last edited:

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I'm in my thirties, and I first played Final Fantasy IV back when it was called Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES. I've played just about every other game in the franchise since.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
28, played FF7 like a year after its european release. I was 7 or 8 and absolutely obsessed with the game at the time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm 36. My dad ran a SEGA household and we went straight to the Playstation One, so obviously my first Final Fantasy was VII.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
in my 40s First one I played was the NES Final Fantasy, didnt click, but then I played FF2 on SNES and i loved it.

Last edited:

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I got a PSOne and Final Fantasy VIII when I was about 8. I got to around disc 2 and never progressed.

The first Final Fantasy I finished was around a decade later when I got back into gaming. I played Final Fantasy IV and finished it.

I'm 25 now.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
25 right now. I didn't know it at the time, but the first Final Fantasy game I saw and probably played was was Mystic Quest for the SNES. The only other FF game I played was Dissidia.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 13-14 I played FFXII, but I vaguely remember playing a demo of 6 or 8 when I was like 6.

I played Kingdom Hearts when I was like 8 or 9, which was my first major run in with FF characters. It was still a culture shock of sorts with FFXII since it takes itself far more serious than KH

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I was like 6 or 7 at a friend's house and played Final Fantasy on the NES, because he told me it was a Zelda game (he confused Garland with Ganon). I haaaaaated it. The first Final Fantasy I played that I enjoyed was IV, and I was around 10. I used to rent it from a local rental place ever few weeks. The first one I beat was the PC version of VII (didn't have a playstation) when I was 12. I'm 32 now.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm 36 and the first FF I played was the very first one. I remember the first time I saw someone playing the game, too. He was a few years older than me and lived next door to one of my friends. We went over there and I remember distinctly the fire red hair of the fighter running around on a completely black background. Can't remember what dungeon he was in but that memory is very vivid. I might have been around 10?

I never did beat it when I rented it back then. The first Final Fantasy I truly loved was IV. I bought that one and it is still one of my all-time fave games.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I was a teen in summer vacation. My old brother came spend some days in my house and brought his PS1 with FFVII on it. It was also the 1st JRPG i played. I instatly got inlove with it and when my brother left i just wanted to keep playing it. I had no PS1 but looking in some places i found a Blockbuster selling the game for PC. Bought it, its still my favorite game of all time.

As a teen that dont spoke english as main language, and always had trouble in english classes, i was so hooked to the plot, that played the game with a english dictionary by my side to look up words i didnt knew the meaning. By the time i finished the game and replayed it 3 more times, i never failed a english test again at school.

Not only was a big influence in my gaming tastes, it also improved my grades at school.

Last edited:

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 26 and the first ones I played were 1 and 2 on the GBA. The first one I finished was 15.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i played FFI circa 1990 and ... had no idea what i was doing, like equipping gear and such was totally alien to me. i think i beat garland but i could tell i was playing a very antiquated game.

played FFIII (FFVI) years later and was sold. but yeah as far as my generation is concerned the games just came out way too late in the US, no mystery why jrpgs never really hit their groove here til the mid 90s

DrSopa

Oct 27, 2017
FF1 on the nes... was my first RPG, i still remember the night that i completed the game and that castle ending, good memories

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
42 and I've never played Final Fantasy. That Japanese stuff always seemed kinda nerdy to me, with the big cartoon eyes and stuff.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I was about 25 when I started my mission to catch up with the (mainline, western non-mmo) FF series! So FF1. I found it quite dull to be honest. But I recognize games like that were kind of a feat on the NES and the series really developed more of its identity people love by the SNES era. I'm up to FFX now but I just spent ages on Bravely Default and then started TMS:FE so I might get around to FFX by the end of this year :#)

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
32; Mystic Quest. Cool soundtrack, shit game. Then it was 7, didn't like it much, then 8, loved it but hated the enemy scaling, then 9 which was fantastic, and then I finally tried FFIII,FFIV,FFV, and FFVI. It took me a while, but I finally found some amazing characters and had constant fun with IV and VI, and those two games have handily become my favorite FF's along with Tactics, XII, and the aforementioned IX.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 36. My first Final Fantasy was FF1 on the NES, which was also the first RPG I ever owned or played to completion. It was a hugely influential game for me, and probably the single player game that I've spent the most time on. The PS1 Origins remake is still one of my all time favorite favorite games.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
33 years old.

I played Final Fantasy 1 when I was very young, but never got more than an hour into it, so it barely counts. I really consider the first FF I played to be VI in 1998, and then VII in '99. VII is my favorite game ever made and VI isn't far behind it.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30 and the first one I beat was FFX. Though I had played Kingdom Hearts first and has that as my introduction to a lot of the characters.

I then went back and played the PS1 games, and then kept current with the releases and remakes.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 33 and first FF was VII back in 98 when I was 12. I didn't understand why I couldn't move the characters in battle and didn't get simple mechanics as experience. Also I don't think I knew more than a couple of words in English, but somehow there was something special about it.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
9-FF on the NES.

I remember my mom yelling at me for staying up so late playing it. I just wanted to beat the witch boss so bad.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 39. First Final Fantasy I played was FFII/IV on SNES. Was hooked to jrpgs after that, though we couldn't afford much.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm 25.

My first was Final Fantasy IV (SNES). My dad played it before I was born and really liked it a lot and it's been in my house all of my life. He showed me it when I was like 8 and I remember being blown away at the existence of turn-based RPG type games that weren't Pokemon. There was a weird period of time when I was a kid where the only Final Fantasy games I had access to were IV and then Tactics Advance.

I've since played III, V, X, XIII, and XV. I also played like disc one of VII which isn't enough to judge it, and a lot of the spin-offs (Crisis Core, Type-0, Theatrhythm, the Tactics games). I also played like 30 minutes of XII before I decided I didn't want to invest time into it because the battle system seemed like ass (really don't like MMO-esque battle systems). I don't like III or XV very much and I wasn't a big fan of what I played of VII, and the footage I've seen of the NES games and VIII seems to suggest I wouldn't like them much either, though I really IV/V/X/XIII. Excited to play VI some day.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm 30 and my first Final Fantasy was IV. I played it on SNES some time in the mid-90s. It was also my first RPG. Kicked off a lifelong love-affair with the series and genre. I feel like it being my first probably somewhat shaped my tastes for the series as well. My favorite games since the SNES are IX, XII, and XIV, which are thematically and stylistically more similar to the older games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 years old.

First Final Fantasy game that I played was the original one on the NES, and I still own it.

But it wasn't until Final Fantasy IV (II in America) that I became a huge fan.