• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What’s acceptable frequency of drunk?

• Never

• With bad news

• With good news/celebration

• More than once a week

• Once a week

• Once a month

• Once every couple months

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
If there was a pill I could take that would make IPA's taste bad, I'd drink it.

I've been trying hard to stay sober, but that shits hard. I keep changing the rules. only have beer around friends or family

only have beers in the weekend

only have beers in special occasions

anyways, it doesn't work. None of it works as long as beer delicious AND the fact is, I've never been THAT bad. Like, I never went to work drunk, never been drunkwithin hours of waking up, and I never graduated to spirits.
I just really really like beer. Like that hoppy sometimes citrus taste of an ipa is literally heaven for me.

i woke up today and I looked in the mirror and I looked REALLY fit. Like the best in years. Yea it's been about a month since I was drunk drunk.
Is it ok to drink often if I don't get WASTED?

Sober
Waiting
Buzzed
Tipsy
Tipsy +
Drunk
WASTED
Blackout

I would say that's the progression.
ive only blacked out maybe 3-4 times in my life. Wasted dozens of times
And drunk dozens.

I want to keep drinking tonight. It's been a while

so, is it wrong to drink all the way to "drunk level"?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I only drink at family gatherings (Thanksgiving, Christmas, new years) and celebrating something.

Otherwise I dont see the point.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Events which warrant somebody saying "Eh, whatever happens, we'll either drink to celebrate or drink to forget" in advance.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I am an alcoholic so the answer to how often I should be drunk is never. The answer to how often I am drunk is pretty much everyday. For non-alcoholics I don't really think there is an answer. I guess not so often that it negatively impacts your health.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
However much they want as long as they're still able to perform all their responsibilities safely I guess 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era really has it out for drinking lately.

No one should ever drink. It's not a net positive that you can recommend any person do. But I think using it for celebration or happy news is fine. I think it's bad to use as a crutch or as a way to power past bad news rather than processing that news in a healthier way.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily for me, IPA's taste like shit, but the answer is everyday...every single day.

/s please don't drink every day.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
- when works paying
- when it's at a function and it's free
- some Fridays after work

December? Every 2nd day.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I mean its up how you treat drinking. Getting extremely drunk and blacking out is probably not the best thing to be doing but as long its not leading to violent tendencies or causing mischief I'm not going to take the time to police what you do.

As long as you're not making anyone carry you back home. Or urinating in someone else's bed (While they're asleep). Or something else of that degree I don't see an issue.

Being in the navy lets you see some shit lol.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I mean its up how you treat drinking. Getting extremely drunk and blacking out is probably not the best thing to be doing but as long its not leading to violent tendencies or causing mischief I'm not going to take the time to police what you do.

As long as you're not making anyone carry you back home. Or urinating in someone else's bed (While they're asleep). Or something else of that degree I don't see an issue.

Being in the navy lets you see some shit lol.
Honor to drink
Courage to keep drinking
Commitment to never stop drinking

I'm navy vet
Shit was like almost mandatroy lol.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I'm drunk once or twice a year.

In fact I'm drunk right now so this thread showing up for me is rather funny

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
One day we'll all be long dead and no one will remember us. Enjoy life while you can. Just try to keep things on the rails.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm in the same boat op. Slight beer belly from over indulgence though. I've tried quitting a couple of times (longest was a year) but I really miss a good ale and going to the pub with friends and staying sober is a challenge. I don't even drink that much (probably once a week, twice rarely) but I know my health and fitness suffer for it and I feel guilty!

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious answer is never, but OP you aren't doing anything wrong lol. As long as you aren't an alcoholic who goes to work drunk, is belligerent all the time or generally brings down the lives of others or yourself because of it, you're good.

I love beer. I get a good buzz going every other week, sometimes every weekend just because a game and a good beer is a nice Saturday night for me. I don't get drunk too often because I don't like the feeling of a room spinning, but if you want a drink because you like it, get one!

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Honor to drink
Courage to keep drinking
Commitment to never stop drinking

I'm navy vet
Shit was like almost mandatroy lol.
Def. Though I dunno when you were in but we get mandatory training before a port call and they make sure someone's sober when you come back. Only went on deployment for the Enterprise in 2012 so I have no idea how its changed in the last 8 years but I imagine it hasn't gotten easier!

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm in the same boat op. Slight beer belly from over indulgence though. I've tried quitting a couple of times (longest was a year) but I really miss a good ale and going to the pub with friends and staying sober is a challenge. I don't even drink that much (probably once a week, twice rarely) but I know my health and fitness suffer for it and I feel guilty!
Do you ever feel like we worsen the situation by thinking so badly about it?

idk. I feel like I'll forc myself into a sobriety plan and then when I fail I fail hard.
what if I just don't try to completely quit, but just drink less
Idk

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to see "never" leading the pack. I completely respect that choice for any individual, but seems a bit extreme as far as a societal expectation.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Def. Though I dunno when you were in but we get mandatory training before a port call and they make sure someone's sober when you come back. Only went on deployment for the Enterprise in 2012 so I have no idea how its changed in the last 8 years but I imagine it hasn't gotten easier!
I was on shore duty!
Only did one enlistment. Even command functions ended up with at least one drunk soul

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Anyone who is selecting once a week, or god forbid, more than once a week, I have some bad news for you.

I selected once a month, and even then I don't get drunk that often.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I was on shore duty!
Only did one enlistment. Even command functions ended up with at least one drunk soul
Oh god they did. Someone always did something stupid at the holiday party and I'd hear about it. (I never went to them. Both me and the wife are antisocial and a child is plenty excuse to not go).

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I have this and I'm forever thankful because of it. I find beer to taste like garbage. I've only drank 2 or 3 beers that I find to be OK at best but even then I wouldn't actively drink them for the sake of drinking them.

The odd thing is I'm much more acceptable of alcohol that isn't beer. You give me some cognac or a well made cocktail and I will happily drink it with you.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm really surprised at the bad news vs good news results
I think it's the getting drunk part. I don't think people would mind if you suggested going and getting a beer or two for a bad event (say people get laid off at the office). Drinking a lot of a depressant when you're already down is a pretty easy way to create a negative feedback loop.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do you ever feel like we worsen the situation by thinking so badly about it?

idk. I feel like I'll forc myself into a sobriety plan and then when I fail I fail hard.
what if I just don't try to completely quit, but just drink less
Idk

Haha yeah I tend to overthink and worry about everything too much. The price of being driven to make something of my life I suppose.

It's hard to break habits with alcohol. After stopping for a while and starting again it's a bit scary how easy it is to slip back into the old routine, especially around friends.

I think the best way is to work out exactly how much you'd be happy drinking / spending on booze. If you find you can't stick to it, cut it out completely. I'm currently trying to work out that balance myself.

I do look at people who do whatever they want without worrying about it but ultimately that's just not in my nature.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
For me? Never. I'm 30 this year, and have never had a drink of alcohol. I have nothing against people drinking, really, but it's destroyed so much of my family's life, and seeing the damage done growing up, it turned me off ever touching it.

My mother became an alcoholic in her 30s after swearing it off for similar reasons as mine, and it nearly killed her. Like, hospitalized, body utterly destroyed from just wrecking herself drinking. Her potassium went critically low, and she's still pretty messed up from it. My father died in 2018 in his late 40s from a life of alcoholism. Dude could only crawl around the house at the last, his body was so wrecked.

Those situations only furthered my disinterest in touching alcohol. Frankly, I don't trust myself to be the one person in my family that somehow just drinks casually and is fine. I've seen it destroy so much.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
A few drinks a month or week is fine.

Getting wasted weekly or more is asking for trouble. Unless you like fucking up your liver and looking old as fuck in your 50s.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been trying hard to stay sober, but that shits hard. I keep changing the rules. only have beer around friends or family

only have beers in the weekend

only have beers in special occasions

anyways, it doesn't work. None of it works as long as beer delicious AND the fact is, I've never been THAT bad. Like, I never went to work drunk, never been drunkwithin hours of waking up, and I never graduated to spirits.
I just really really like beer. Like that hoppy sometimes citrus taste of an ipa is literally heaven for me.

i woke up today and I looked in the mirror and I looked REALLY fit. Like the best in years. Yea it's been about a month since I was drunk drunk.
Is it ok to drink often if I don't get WASTED?

Sober
Waiting
Buzzed
Tipsy
Tipsy +
Drunk
WASTED
Blackout

I would say that's the progression.
ive only blacked out maybe 3-4 times in my life. Wasted dozens of times
And drunk dozens.

I want to keep drinking tonight. It's been a while

so, is it wrong to drink all the way to "drunk level"?

I like drinking. I'm drinking right now, actually. I don't think you should set some kind of hard limit on how often you drink- life is too short and too hard to do that. For me, I don't want to get wasted or blackout drunk. Just in that tipsy-to-drunk stage? Have at it, as much as you like.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is different for every person. If you're concerned about your drinking, you're concerned about your drinking. If you ever feel compelled to drink and the idea of doing it also makes you feel anxious or uncomfortable, you should try to quit.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you should ever drink with intent to be drunk as there's too much at risk. However, with friends/proper assistance, you don't need to be as careful because in the event you get drunk you'll have some backup

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I think it's different for everyone. Me personally I like having a few beers after work during weekdays, and weekends I drink a little more. Sometimes I get a little drunk, like when brewery hopping with friends or hanging out all day watching sports or listening to music with friends. But I make sure it never gets in the way of my life or my responsibilities.

Life is short, do things that make you happy. But also make sure you take care of what you need to take care of. It's a life balance that's unique to everyone.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Onces or twice a week. Lets get drunk y'all