• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure more than half the stuff I've written on this site haven't been posted. I have a lot of unfinished drafts.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Multiple times a day.

Ive been banned for being a PlayStation console warrior and an Xbox console warrior multiple times each now and I barely play on or even care for any consoles at all so these days I mostly just lurk in their OTs because everyone in there will report you for looking at their post or company the wrong way.

Those threads have my most dead posts but they're all around lol

Oct 31, 2017
I type replies that I don't post way more often than I post

Sometimes I'm on my phone and something else comes up before I can fully articulate my point so it just doesn't get made.

Most of the time I just feel like my viewpoint isn't all that crucial that I have to share it.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Too often. I find myself typing whatever pops into head as a reaction to reading a post and sometimes that post is too inflammatory. I'm a pretty emotional person so I have to keep that in check.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Most threads I read, really. I'll usually type something up and then determine that it doesn't sufficiently add to the conversation or else isn't at least funny.

If you see a post from me, I've probably still made that determination. I've just also decided I don't care.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Usually at this point when I see something I won't reply to I'll know before typing.

The rest of the time though it'll be something like "eh I don't need to add this comment as it's not that important/this joke doesn't work"

With threads it'll be something like "this thread isn't important enough to make just to show this fucked up food item"

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Is there a way to view your "pending" or "draft" responses? It seems pretty frequent for me. I might have something written out and decide it's no longer funny, no longer interesting, or someone already said what I was going to. Other times I'll be in the process of having a response partially written out and then get busy either with work, my kid, or something else, and by the time I can get back to it I don't care, it's been addressed, the topic has moved on, or the topic hasn't been active for a while and I don't want to update it.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I'd say that's about 80-90% of my posts. I've gotten banned over some really dumb shit (like mods completely misinterpreting a joke), so why even bother?

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I do it all the time. Usually it's when I'm about to give my opinion on something that I don't really care much about so am only posting out of boredom, or when I just don't have anything to add that's constructive or hasn't already been said more eloquently.

I'll often delete a post before sending if I'm about to call out a post I think is dumb too. Not worth getting into a disagreement over, although if I'm in a shit mood or have had a few beers I sometimes lack restraint and dive in.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Not very often, maybe 10-15% of the time.

I don't post very often so I rarely even start writing a reply. Once I do, though, it's pretty likely that I'll actually post it.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Didn't realize this was a common thing, but yeah pretty constantly. I've spent like half an hour thinking about and writing a response to a question in a thread only to erase it because I'm worried I'm not actually contributing. Honestly it'll be a feat if I actually hit post reply now.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Fairly often. I'll type a reply, then realize I haven't typed anything substantial and delete to avoid posting just for the sake of saying "yeah, I agree."

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes, if it's something I don't think will really contribute to the conversation. Or if I get distracted with another tab and have a draft sitting in the text box for too long, I'll just close Era because I don't want to bump the thread lmao

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I do it more often than I think, because it's not really something I think about. I just do it, sometimes.
Sometimes it's realizing that I got nothing while trying to come up with something clever.
Sometimes I start typing and end up feeling it hasn't produced anything worthwhile, or it ends up in some disorderly ramble I cease being interested in sorting out.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Happens often. Sometimes even just to vent instead of starting actual arguments.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Probably 1 in 5 of the posts I actually make were typed up to some extent and not posted.

Conversely, for every post I actually type up, there are perhaps 10 more I thought about making, but decided not to bother with typing up, let alone submitting.

If there's one thing my 23 years on the internet has taught me (sometimes the hard way), it's this: read/listen more, post/speak less.

Oct 30, 2017
I probably do this more often than I actually post, and not just on Era.
As I start typing I wonder if what I have to say is really worth it or if it actually contributes to the conversation.
I'd agree it's an anxiety thing. I tend to way overthink things and end up talking myself out of doing whatever task I set out to do far more often than I'd like.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I almost exclusively post using my phone, I would be on double or triple my post count, but the problem with typing on my phone is that I struggle to put together a coherent post, it doesn't help that my fingers are massive so I can't use predictive text. So most of the time I just give up lol

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
All the time. Sometimes it's because I read it and think it doesn't come across well and sometimes it's because it would probably piss someone off and I really can't be arsed to argue with someone I don't know over something pointless on a website.
Sometimes I'm just self conscious of what I write and delete it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All the time. Usually I will throw my thoughts down and read it only to realize it will either end up with me getting a million notifications and I decide it's not worth the trouble

That or it's a sensitive topic and I'm worried about being misunderstood and getting possibly banned.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mainly in threads where the responses are so predictable that I know what they are before I even click. It's like, why bother? I'm not gonna change the tide.

Double that if I'm on the wrong side of conventional wisdom.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Do it a lot outside of OTs, most of the time I figure it would only get me into an argument with someone stupid, and it's just not worth the effort, so I just put them on ignore.
I also tend to read a whole thread before I reply, and what I would have posted in reply to someone was already said by someone smarter than me by the time I caught up with the thread.

It's totally different in OTs, I don't think I ever deleted a draft. But I am sure that led to others putting me on ignore. 😄

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I only post maybe half of what I type. I don't have much to say that anyone else should hear, and usually when I do post, it goes by without a response. It's easier to lurk!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the time in contentious threads. But then I think about how stressful it would be getting a bunch of replies and I back off. Don't need my blood pressure to skyrocket.

Nov 29, 2018
I'm in that group that posts less than 10% of the time. It's usually either unnecessary reaction or jumbled word-sludge that needs editing (which I am too lazy to do).

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a small rule that I made up which is that if I ever feel unsure about posting something, I'll let it sit wherever it is for a few hours, look at it later with a fresh pair of eyes before posting it. I end up not posting or losing a lot of posts because of that, but I'm certain that nothing of value was lost. At best, I may just upset a handful less of people.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
Didn't realize this was so prevalent, but I'm glad I'm not alone here. I do it pretty frequently; hell, I did it for this topic earlier. I usually only post if I feel it'll add something to the topic and not just be some drive-by one liner "noise" post.

I also often read through a topic to see if my point was already made and I don't want to be redundant (not that that stops a lot of people here) and the topic's already moved on by the time I catch up.

Pretty often. I think people here often go out of their way to not only not give someone the benefit of the doubt but find the least charitable way to interpret a post. So if the topic is at all serious I often just don't talk because it's not worth it.

I feel you on this one. I don't like to argue on the internet and some people seem to be looking for a fight. Sometimes I'll have a question about a serious or sensitive topic, but I worry (given my low post count) about being accused of "just asking questions," or something so I just don't bother.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Pretty often when it comes to debating/arguing. Sometimes it's better for my mood to just dip out and not engage in discussion with the way people can get.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
I just realized that ITT that there are hardly any direct replies, only 2 in the last 50 posts, and find it a bit funny.

I wanted to reply to Kmonk first, just wanted to post that I hope he never wanted to delete a post in the WRC thread and hoped to see him there this weekend, but then I did not want to bother him and didn't.

That's also stuff I delete a lot, thought it would be a good example, sorry Kmonk.