• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Heh... If I take a day off it feels like torture. But I've trying to take a couple days off at least every year.

Oct 27, 2017
Next to the usual holidays I have 40 days of paid vacation every year. Actual vacation / free time. The strange concept of sick days does not exist here.
So I often take days off. The company even strongly encourages such breaks.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Almost never unless I have some sort of medical thing or an event to attend/vacation planned.

I've never taken a day off just because I wanted to stay at home or skip out on work. My job is also too non-stop for me to be able to do something like that.

I potentially COULD do that if I wanted to by squeezing in a day during the days I have no deadlines, but idk…

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
So I have taken a day off once every 2 weeks for the last 8 weeks, so 4 days off over a period of 8 weeks. During that time there were a couple of long weekends. I don't know why I feel bad about taking time off, even today I still used it to finish off study work for the semester and yet still feel like I should have gone to work. My tafe study is once a week so thats another day off during the 8 week period but the semester for me has finished.

My dumb brain doesn't know how to think that its ok to take time off, I guess because I compare myself to other people too much. My Dad who works very long hours and drives at least an hour to work, my Mum who works full time and looks after her Dad, my sister who is a manager and here I am a guy who got a job because the boss knew my Mum.

The thing is too, I have to keep doing this job where I feel like I am doing absolutely nothing, because I have no where to go. I'm doing a traineeship sure but it's probably not going to get me anywhere as it is just basic stuff (cad software like revit, autocad inventor) and I've barely used it for my job.

I feel bad about it because I haven't worked a full two weeks since the start of the year or February I think as I have zero motivation to go to work knowing I'm not really going to do anything, and the amount of money I get paid to do nothing is why I don't use my paid leave on my days off.

gradam01

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nebraska
I get 21 days a year(1.75 days per month). I usually like to have 5-8 days banked in case of an emergency, but after that I take a day off every 3 or so weeks for sanity.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I have around 20 days saved up and also accrue about 11 hrs a month so I usually take 1 or 2 days off a month because I don't like sitting on more than a month's worth of PTO.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't. Or I try not to. I enjoy being anti-social but going into the office is the one exception where I don't mind being amongst people. I get that out of the way then I'm back to being a recluse on the weekends lol.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I would love to, but my parents baby sit for us, and they decided to take like 3 vacations this year. So in an attempt not to create conflict, we've basically given up all our saved time to take those days off to watch our daughter. They do a lot for us by baby sitting, so I'm trying not to stir anything up. But damn I would love to have a vacation of any kind, even a staycation just with my wife. Haven't take a day off just for us since our daughter was born.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
We're halfway through the year, and so my boss has started to encourage us to use them, at least to the point where we won't lose them at the year end rollover. I've threw some days on the calendar.

Working from home and being able to take an afternoon off for a doc appointment or what not without PTO if you make it up at night/later has made my team not take as many PTO days

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
One day or so a month usually over a weekend.

My work is flexible about time off but I'm the only one with my job and I don't trust people to be back ups. Hence my 95 hours of PTO saved.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I don't really take any unpaid leave, so I like to concentrate my days off in the summer and around christmas. Usually 4-5 weeks over the summer and 1-2 weeks around christmas.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
Not much at all since WFH but it's definitely bit me. There's a limit to how many vacation days can be carried over in a calendar year at my job, and with none of my usual vacation trips, I didn't realize I was on track to going well over at the end of 2020 and 2021. Both years I lost at least 40 hours because of the "implied discouragement" of taking a bunch of time late in the year aside from the time around holidays, plus even during the holiday period suddenly projects had what turned out to be pointless deadlines, further exacerbating the accumulation of vacation days.
I'm just realizing now that it's June I'm still on track to losing more time if I don't start taking weeks off actually.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My PTO days are basically undefined - it pretty much just boils down to how much of a fight I want to have with my boss. Which means I haven't gone on a true vacation in six years and usually don't even get a single day off unless I or someone in my immediate family is sick/dead/or I have some kind of dentist/docotr/mechanic appointment.

How, you Europeans may ask, do I avoid burnout? That's my secret, Cap - I've been completely burnt out, stressed out, and pissed off for YEARS! 👍🏼

This year, I am taking a work week off (five days) in early August for the first time since 2016. I also need two groups of two days off (four total, separated by a couple of weeks) in late June. When I told my boss this last week, he predictably got pissed about it, and told me to email him the dates. Which I immediately did. Now it's a week later and he still hasn't replied or acknowledged it. Nor will he until I prepare myself for a confrontation and bring it back up at some point.

This process is the main reason years often go by without me taking ANY vacation time at all.

Oh PS - I've been here since 2004.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't take time off really ever anymore since going remote waaaay back. It's better to just sit here and shoot the shit on ERA/Reddit and watch Youtube/TV all day if its dead. I have a fixed salary it wouldnt matter to my bottom line, but if I ever just need to get out of the house I'll use PTO. Otherwise I'd rather be available. Sometimes 90% of the day is dead but something that's worth doing shows up during the day.

If I miss work it just piles up for me until I return. So it doesn't really benefit me to just be 'out' unless I am actually going to get some extra leisure or something out of that exchange.

Not much at all since WFH but it's definitely bit me. There's a limit to how many vacation days can be carried over in a calendar year at my job, and with none of my usual vacation trips, I didn't realize I was on track to going well over at the end of 2020 and 2021. Both years I lost at least 40 hours because of the "implied discouragement" of taking a bunch of time late in the year aside from the time around holidays, plus even during the holiday period suddenly projects had what turned out to be pointless deadlines, further exacerbating the accumulation of vacation days.
I'm just realizing now that it's June I'm still on track to losing more time if I don't start taking weeks off actually.

God yes I hate this. Can't rollover more than X amount of hours into the new year.... Discouraged from using large swathes of time the last 2 months of the year 🙄

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I take Fridays off every 3 weeks (I don't take them off if there is a national holiday). I may take a week or two off here and there, before COVID I'd do it to go somewhere on vacation, but now it's just to make myself do stuff other than work every single week day.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I get 25 days of PTO a year and I use 25 days of PTO a year. I do keep the maximum 10 days/80 hours of roll over I have just in case though I built up those 80 hours a while ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I was absent with COVID recently and after my isolation period I finally got to experience what it's like to go shopping on a week-day. It's so nice and calm and pleasant and something I really miss. I usually use my annual leave to go travelling around the EU. I never usually use it to just lie in bed or go shopping. I wish I could take unpaid time off to do that kinda shit. It would be nice.

I only have 23 PTO leave days per year.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Being a teacher in Scandinavia, I get ridiculous amounts days off during breaks. And having a kid in preschool, she brings home colds a lot, so I've had to take a lot of sick days these past two years (though a lot of them have been wfh-days too).

That said, apart from sick days, I haven't taken any non schedulad day off in for the last decade or so. Basically, you're going to have to mop up your own shit of you aren't there to teach your class. Substitutes aren't guaranteed, and even if you do get one, it's rare the work gets done. So taking "days off" essentially means just doubling the workload when you get back. This happens from time to time when the faculty organise trips and whatnot and we get some kind of quasi-days off where some classes are "cancelled" bit we still have to cover the same curriculum when we get back. I know I'm blessed when it comes to the amount of consecutive days off I have, but it is a bit of a pain never being able to take a trip when I want to without a massive effort (and no pay, of course).