jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Also, don't mean to hijack your thread OP. I was concerned and wanted to simply cut back on drinking (aka, 3-4 drinks per party limits). I went to an AA facility asking if they had anything for people who simply wanted to cut back (aka, there are some programs out there, like Moderation Management) and they told me there's no such thing as moderation, that I was addicted, and forced me to walk into a meeting.

I heard god said more times in that AA meeting than I do at mosque. It was terrible...

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This thread is crazy to me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a couple drinks here and there throughout the week.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forget all the people pretending that 6 drinks a night isn't too much or whatever - if you're not comfortable with it, then it's too much for you op, regardless of what other people can tolerate - maybe just get sodas or virgin drinks if you're going out again?

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something you gotta decide for yourself fam. Aside from the obvious ones like not blacking out, not vom'ing, not driving, draw the line for yourself.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my line for to much drinking in one day is when i cant rationalize and walk very well anymore and its close to the puking territory. So its more a knowledge about my own body and to recognize how much is enough with each type of drink. But drinking in consecutive days i have been there in college, a party everyday in one week, never more again i was feeling bad at the end of it, holidays is normal at least over here to drink more, so i dont see anything problematic since its an event and not regular

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I drink every day (I'm drinking right now!). It's about how much you drink, when you are drinking. Obviously binge drinking is where the danger can lie, and it's best to keep it to a minimum - or in my case, I never binge drink.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't really say anything seeing as I just downed a quarter of a bottle of whiskey last night while playing call of duty lol

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Addiction is a different line for each person, but there's obviously no harm in refraining from drinking if you're not comfortable doing so.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
If you're blacking out or losing time, you need to probably refrain. However, if you're drinking because you're happy and the people around you are happy, you're probably okay. If the drinking to escape that gets away from you.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Blacking out or throwing up. There's nothing wrong with occasionally drinking socially.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It is just the time of year with all the parties and such so it's okay to drink a little excessively but don't drive. 6 in one night is a too much just watch your intake. Being conscious of it is a good sign that you know there are limits. It you are concerned of becoming addicted, do dry January.

I can go months without a drink but since Monday I have had 6 pints, which is a lot for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
AUDIT is a good, validated screening tool for alcohol use disorder that you can self administer.

A general guideline for drinking that increases risk of adverse health outcomes is:

Men
•More than 14 standard drinks per week on average
•More than 4 drinks on any day

Women
•More than 7 standard drinks per week on average
•More than 3 drinks on any day

Source: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I can kinda tell when drinking is doing harm because i'll feel the stress and anxiety waiting to come off. Those times i gotta take some time and avoid drinking at all.

Those are only the times i will drink without abandon. Otherwise i keep my pace and don't get into trouble.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, don't mean to hijack your thread OP. I was concerned and wanted to simply cut back on drinking (aka, 3-4 drinks per party limits). I went to an AA facility asking if they had anything for people who simply wanted to cut back (aka, there are some programs out there, like Moderation Management) and they told me there's no such thing as moderation, that I was addicted, and forced me to walk into a meeting.

I heard god said more times in that AA meeting than I do at mosque. It was terrible...
Reddit has some communities that might be more to your liking if you are still looking to cut back.

r/stopdrinking is one.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
For me, I realized I needed to cut back or stop when I woke up looking forward to drinking after work. My whole day was just leading to that first drink when I got home, and that scared me since I come from a line of alcoholics.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Might as well change your name to DrunkenAstro.

I don't really have much of a gauge to compare it to since I don't hang around drinkers very often, but this doesn't sound like going overboard really.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Its usually around the time I start actively seeing reactions such as...
giphy.gif

That or being approached by security staff at whatever venue, time to cool it.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
It's not a simple units question because different people have different medical conditions. If you feel the need to go out, maybe try to veer towards some lower-alcohol drinks like a 5-6% hard cider, intersperse some glasses of water, nurse some drinks. If your friends are pressuring you to drink more than you want to drink (outside of a drinking game you signed up for, since that's the point of a drinking game), reconsider the meaning of the word, "friend."

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I drank every Thursday-Sunday for like my entire 20s, that was probably too much. Now it's rare I get drunk but I'll have a couple through the week.

Nov 26, 2018
I think once you start questioning yourself is when you start addressing the issue. As someone who has alcoholism in the family I am hyper aware when my stress wants me to drink. If you feel like you're drinking too much maybe go straight edge for a month or so. I do it once or twice a year and it gives me a nice boundary.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
My dad was an alcoholic and it mostly sucked so I appreciate anyone that wants to stop and evaluate where they are in their habits.

I was "lucky" in that I never got past the "drinking makes everything more fun" stage in my late teens and early 20s. Never used to it medicate or control stress or whatever. It actually exacerbates my mild insomnia and sometimes gives me a multi day hangover. As a result, it's more of a thing I do in the summer while on a boat and that's about it. Occasional bottle of wine during the winter here and there.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Can the shitposters please just get the fuck out of this thread? OP is being serious and you're acting like everything's a joke. Go shit up some other thread. Same with the judgey doucheweeds. You know who you are.

OP, if you're concerned, then just don't. I assume nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to drink, and if they are, then you have bigger problems than the drinking.

Oct 25, 2017
I have 16 months of sobriety. There are ways to understand if you're different than others or just letting loose more than usual.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Sounds like the only thing you should be worried about is your wallet, since that's a lot more outings than you're used to.

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird to me how often people drink

I guzzle it like a fish when I go out

But 99% time I'm stone sober and never really crave it otherwise

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The thing that sucks about quitting is now you have to find new friends because all your old ones still get f'd up. Shit's hard when you're in your 40s.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Last Saturday I had 6 drinks (once off, we were playing some drinking game). I usually have 2-3 drinks a night. Last time I went out was 21st. Before then the 15th

This is fine. Stick to this and you have nothing to worry about.

I've never had more than two to three beers or a couple liquor based drinks in one outing.

I don't really enjoy drinking though oh, so that may be low.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Wisconsin and what you're describing is a typical week around here.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you feel pressured into drinking socially, just drink water.

Theres no point to drinking alcohol if you're going to be anxious about it.

If you are worried about the amount you are asked out drinking because of the holidays, pace yourself accordingly, make sure you drink lots of water, and pair the booze with carbs (pretzels, bread, etc) to help mitigate the absorption.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd say you basically have no limit over the holiday season. You're off work, seeing friends and family, enjoy yourself however you want.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Your on holidays, unless you are day drinking by yourself everyday until you pass out you should probably stop thinking about it.