Do you REALLY care about backwards compatibility?

• Yes, a lot

Votes: 757 59.0%
  • Just a bit

Votes: 354 27.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 173 13.5%

• Total voters

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
After the first 2-3 months there is a near zero chance of me playing any old games on my new system. And if I ever do, I still have all those old systems hanging around anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
The whole basis of me buying a PS5 is because I haven't played 90%of the PS4 exclusives

Otherwise my plan was just to buy a cheap PlayStation after the five launched

(Sold my OG PS4 when it was about two years old and never replaced it! Bought an Xbox though...which I just sold!)

Oct 25, 2017
Very little. I almost never go back to replay or pick up games I missed. Much rather just buy remasters of the top few games.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
A lot. I replay games often, being able to replay games from the Xbox and 360 Gen on my X1 is an absolute godsend and the main reason I'm going with a Series X first.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get rid of old consoles so while BC is a nice convenience, not having it isn't a deal breaker. If I'm buying a new console, it's because I want to play new games that take advantage of new hardware. There are very few games I ever go back to replay.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It's important to me on the Xbox side. I am planning to move from PlayStation to Xbox for next gen, so I want to be able to play Xbox titles I missed this gen.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I love replaying MGS, FF7, Soul Reaver and a bunch of others. I would be fucking delighted with a PS1 store for PS5.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Being able to play old games and revisit favorites meant enough to me to buy mods and upgrades for nearly every old console to get them playable on my HDTV. Nearly everything is HDMI modded at this point and the others that are left use the Retrotink. But I would absolutely love to consolidate any of those down into fewer boxes. Honestly I'm buying an XSX to continue supporting that approach and so I can continue having just one Xbox around.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Quite a bit.

Just finished God of War 3 on PS3.

I played Super Mario RPG on SNES this year.
There are several games originally on PS2 that I play on a practically year basis like FFX. And I am looking forward to replaying the PS4 versions on PS5.

BC is an incredibly big deal to me.

At this point, it's essential.

Console gamers were trained for generations to think of each new console and its native games as brand new kinds of toys which were simply superior to the old toys. Wildly different from PC gaming, where continuity of platform was taken for granted. Games didn't get "old and moldy" just because a new CPU or video card generation appeared. In fact, existing games got better!

But now consoles are more like PCs than ever, and game development for major games take so long, that titles you'll be playing for years may come out at the end of one console revision. Like, I'm going to be playing Nioh 2 for YEARS. Why would I replace my PS4 with a PS5 if it didn't support what is and will be a major game for a long time to come?

Plus I can think of like 30 other games that launched on the PS4 that I am still playing and will still be playing for a basically unlimited amount of time. I don't want to lose access to these applications when Sony stops manufacturing PS4 units and a current unit dies.

Consoles without platform continuity are a thing of the past and should stay there.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Curious - would you guys be willing to pay a premium for BC? BC has forced console developers to make really awkward architecture choices and has at times been the source of security issues (making them more of a liability).

Personally, I would rather people invest in good emulation and preserve generations of games/consoles in a VC type fashion, but not force it as a requirement for next gen consoles.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It's huge for me. Part of the reason Pc is my main platform, the games never really go away. But I play more and more Xbox with their BC support. I am very excited about them adding HDR and increasing frame rate with back compat games on the Series X, it's one of the main reasons I want one for launch. For me I'd say BC is about 50% playing old favorites and 50% playing stuff I missed.

Stuff like this is very PC like and I have to applaud it:

DKCWvG1.jpg

Last edited:

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After the first 2-3 months there is a near zero chance of me playing any old games on my new system. And if I ever do, I still have all those old systems hanging around anyway.
This is where I stand, honestly. I rarely go back to old games. I'd rather a remaster be released so I can buy that.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I do care about it, mostly to be able to:
1 - give it a go to some favourites (Panzer Dragoon Orta, for example).
2 - Playing at decent performance/loading times/fan noise, like TLoU2.
But it is in no way, shape or form, a must.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
An absolute must. I will never purchase a console again that doesn't maintain my purchase.

Gaming must be the only media where a sizable amount of people don't give a fuck about things from only a few years ago, including major companies.

Feb 24, 2018
I care, hell I'd take Sony doing something similar to Nintendo's virtual console for PS1 and PS2 games (seriously I would like that as part of PS+).

PS4 games are a must and seems to be what their doing anyway (do we know which 100 games are going to be backwards compatible yet initially)?

PS1 and PS2 would be a very nice bonus since I've played a lot from that era in the past few years.

PS3, isn't their a big issue with those games because of the bizarre way the PS3 was developed and ran games that caused issues for games like Skyrim?

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
new stuff means very little to me honestly, i play what im interested in and give me a fun time despite when it was released, specially now that my kid is getting into videogames, we play many beat'em ups and platform games wich had a great run on last gen live arcade session ... so i do value BC a lot

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I care about it a lot. I'm primarily a PC player so I'm used to have near infinite backwards compatibility. It's incredibly shitty to buy a new console and just lose access to literally thousands of games. There are still tons of 360/PS3 era games I haven't got around to that never came out on PC that I can't play unless they have BC or I hook up an old system.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
PS3, isn't their a big issue with those games because of the bizarre way the PS3 was developed and ran games that caused issues for games like Skyrim?
No. Skyrim had issues on PS3 for different reasons. From what Todd Howard said, it had bugs related to how they made the game.

PS3 does offer some challenges with it's CPU, but the RPCS3 has shown great promise to overcoming those.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Its the main reason I intend to get a series x before I get a ps5 when I can eventually afford to join the next generation

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Personally i don;t understand how people have tome to replay old games and keep up with even a fraction of the latest releases.

I would always rather try a new game than play something again. I feel the same about films as well.

Having said that, I like easy access to game I have paid money for and i find Sony's attitude to BC very uncool. They seem to go out of their way to stop access to old games so they can charge you for them again.The lack of PS1 BC on the PS4 was very uncool.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
It would be nice to move my PS4 stuff up to the 5, but worse comes to worse, I have another HDMI port.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
BC is going to be my starter kit for PS5, and to a lesser extent the XSX. I'm collecting first party PS4 titles on discount right now, hoping to play them on the PS5 until R&C drops.

This gen, I have played a lot of BC on PC, and a fair amount on Xbox.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
One HDMI port's worth. Also, it's an additional box for multiplayer (as a household with generally no duplicate consoles/handhelds).

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Personally i don;t understand how people have tome to replay old games and keep up with even a fraction of the latest releases.

I would always rather try a new game than play something again. I feel the same about films as well.

It's not about playing something "again", at least not for me. It's about playing something I've missed for plenty of different reasons.

I almost never re-play games, but I do use BC a lot, so...

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I've finished multiple 360 games over the past few years so I'm in the "a lot" camp. I still have about half a dozen games from this gen I want to play, including Star Wars and RE3.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I dont on my final purchase. It just change maybe when I will get the new console considering I have backlog of games, so if these are compatible with the new console I could be an early adopter.
If there is also a wide retro (older console and not just the last one) it would be a nice addition indeed, but thats it... I already have not much time for my current gaming, and even when I had, I rarely replayed older games.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i very rarely replay games. new or old. but i do occasionally go through phases of binging on retro content. PC scratches that itch pretty well, but there are a couple PS2 and original xbox games i would like to replay that BC (or current BC support) would be nice for. ideal work i'd be able to put any disc i own in a machine and it will work. but sadly it's not as simple as that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the trend towards GaaS, and loss of complete genres (3rd person espionage/stealth), BC is more important then ever. How else we going to tell the kids about more complete games from a more civilised era?

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
I care, but mostly because I skipped XOne/PS4. Was thinking about still getting one but decided to wait for PS5. But I'd still like to play a couple of the current gen games. So for me it is more a plus than a requirement.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I've played more Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One X than Xbox One games, so I care a lot. Particularly if it includes enhancements to the older titles.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
A lot. Playing Ps4 games on a silent much more powerful machine is important to me. I love my Ps4 library so that's a huge argument for getting the Ps5 at launch.

Psone, Ps2 and Ps3 are not a must for me personally.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's not really my thing, but I know it matters to many other people, so I'm always happy to see it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an X1S specifically for it (and its UHD drive).

I've been wanting to play Saints Row 1 forever now for exemple.

iamandy

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Yes and no.

I'd like to play my PS3 games on a newer PlayStation. PlayStation 5 won't do that, but Xbox Series X won't do that too (with the games I have).

In the end, makes no difference in my choice buying a new console.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
With my current dynamic of being mostly digital on my PS4 and usually preferring to only have minimum consoles in my space its kind of important. I'll probably get a PS5 next year but if my backlog stays this large it would be fantastic for PS5 to play most if not all of them.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Not at all. There's always something new on the horizon that I want to play, so I never really get bored. I prefer to play the latest and greatest games with what precious time I do have on this planet.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just a bit for me.

I bought a lot of PS2/PS3/PS4 games that I wanted to play but never got around to it, but I feel like I have a capable enough PC that will be able to emulate them in the future if possible. I played all the Xbox/Nintendo games I want so far, and the ones I missed were remastered anyway lol