Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
For example, I finished Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, which is universally hated by the Metroid fanbase because I felt that if I didn't beat it, I would be accepting defeat.

Some more examples of games that I felt weren't very good but finished them anyway

Assassins Creed 2
Uncharted 3
Fallout 4
Doom 2016
Quantum Break
ReCore
Devil May Cry 2

Which game did you feel the need to finish even if you were so bored that you felt as if you were going to slip into a coma?

More importantly do you feel that you HAVE to beat your games because of a need for closure?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't use OCD as a throwaway adjective please. It's hurtful to people actually suffering from OCD.

OP
OP

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Is Quantum Break that bad? It's very high up on my backlog at the moment.

To me it was but you may enjoy it, I felt that the actual plot was interesting but those live segments were a product of the days where Xbox One was pushing TV down everyones throats. Overall I'd give it a 6/10 but many like it

Personally I dislike Remedy and think they're an overrated developer, to me they're the MS Counterpart of Quantic Dream

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If a game is bad and I don't enjoy playing it, I move on to something I will enjoy. Why waste my time playing something I don't like?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not bad but VAMPYR is not as great as I hoped. But I am still pushing myself to finish it...

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Depends on the game.

I bought this game called "One" back on PS1. It sucked but part of me wanted to finish it just to see the ending.

Another PS1 game, "Loaded" was like that for me too.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I found Horizon Zero Dawn dreadfully dull, but I forced myself to finish it just to get my money's worth. Probably the last time I'll do that.

Also made myself finish Deadlight, although that game was kind of so bad that it was good.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I have OCD and that's really not how it manifests itself, couldn't care less about completion.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You kidding? I drop out of games I even enjoy sometimes because they don't quite grab my entire attention with the plot or what have you.

It's gotta be engaging, or a JRPG that I know is setting stuff up. There's no real other scenario I'll stick around.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I believe I'm borderline rather than actually having OCD, but I don't think I have much compulsion in this way. I don't feel any great need to beat games. Rather, what I find I get is checklist addiction. If a game keeps throwing tasks and rewards at me, it's pretty easily for me to keep going even though I'm not actually enjoying the gameplay. Dragon Quest IX and Xenoblade in particular did this to me; I put tens of hours into both games and didn't enjoy any of it.

Actually, the bigger thing is not being able to complete a game because I feel like I have to collect everything and do everything perfectly. I'm not sure if that comes from the same place or if perfectionism is something totally separate.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Doom 2016 being categorised as bad in the same list as Devil May Cry 2 makes me do a double take.

BK0X

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I did it one time with Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. That game was so awful and boring, and yet I kept playing it. I thought maybe things would get better later on... but nope. It got worse.
I'll never do that again.

Oct 30, 2017
Don't use OCD as a throwaway adjective please. It's hurtful to people actually suffering from OCD.

Yeah, not that im overely bothered by it, but it does bother me when people try to use it as a joke or a comparison and they know nothing of what it's like to actually have it. I know OP probably doesn't mean to offend though, so I'm not offended, unless someone is going out of their way to do so, which I've never seen personally.

I have OCD and that's really not how it manifests itself, couldn't care less about completion.

Yeah lol, it's the least of my problems. I don't finish games all the time, so not an issue.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Thankfully I've never had the urge to play bad games to completion since I've almost always rented way more than buy.

With that said, I do often give games more time than they deserve because I worry I'm just not "getting it" or want to see if it can somehow turn into something more.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Some more examples of games that I felt weren't very good but finished them anyway

Assassins Creed 2
Uncharted 3

Fallout 4
Doom 2016
Quantum Break
ReCore
Devil May Cry 2

It's one thing to say you don't like them, it's another to call them awful. Some of those games are far from awful.

MaikuQQ

Jan 16, 2019
Ni No Kuni 2 for me. A big let down from the very start only to keep pushing through its bland story and characters because the series is the closest we'll probably get to a Ghibli-esque movie in game form for a long while.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Not only do I have to finish them. I have to attempt some or all of the trophies/achievements

I've gotten better over the years and I'm able to walk away more so, but still seeing the achievement list incomplete kinda drives me nuts

May 18, 2018
1) Finishing a game that's terrible is far from OCD
2) Calling Doom 2016 a bad game explains why you think forcing yourself to finish a game you don't want to play is being OCD
3) I'M A MAN, I'M 40. There are waaay too many games out here to force myself though anything. My backlog is getting smaller while my "games I don't want to play" log is getting bigger. I have 0 to prove.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
When I was heavily addicted to trophy hunting, I'd play all sorts of shite to completion for that shiny Plat. Glad I knocked that on the head. I think when I quit at about 400 Plats my completion level of all played games was at something like 97%.

I'll only go for the Plat or 100% completion now if I'm enjoying the game, which is why RDR2 is sat there with only 2% of trophies gained.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm someone who actually has OCD, and weirdly enough, completion of a video game has never been a concern for me. I see some other posters have pointed out the same here haha

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Every. Single. Game.

I can't juggle mutliple games at once. I have to finish what I'm currently playing. I've tried juggling before and drove myself crazy.

Nov 28, 2017
i used to when i was young and dumb. now i have no patience for it. too many other options in the world to waste your time on something you're not liking.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever finish Arkham Knight. All the issues surrounding the PC release and then eventually going back and just not enjoying it makes me wonder if I might ever finish it. I think it's the only game I just straight gave up on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Wasting money on a weak game is annoying, but wasting potentially dozens of hours of my life I'll never get back is tragic. If a game isn't worth my time, get rid of it. I most recently realized that just today, after five hours of Anthem and I was doing the exact same shit in hour five that I was doing in hour one. Too many other, better games to play.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I just sell the game if I'm not enjoying it or refund it if on Steam.
I'm more careful about researching a game when I buy digital on console though since I know can't do much about those.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom and Uncharted 3 are on your go to list of bad games?

I agree with Devil May Cry 2. I'd put Knack on the list, halfway through it became a chore. Same with Assassins Creed 3

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I don't have time these days to finish anything, even games I adore, I'm certainly not wasting my very limited gaming time forcing myself to play through games I'm not enjoying.

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
Shadow of Tomb Raider, was a gift from my girlfriend, platinumed it...
Game was ok, but i had Yakuza 2 at the same time and was eager to play it.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't always do it depending if there are better offerings released at the time of me playing said awful game but it's something I can do.
Most recently did with Anthem.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I barely buy games, when I buy one it's a product that I am very sure I will enjoy. Ironically enough, I just bought Fates: Revelation and that was a risky buy, but I think I will enjoy it.

Game I really struggled to finish was Tales of Abyss, really wanted to see if the fan reception was worth it. It wasn't.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh no? If the game doesn't catch and hold my attention why would I keep playing it? My time and attention goes elsewhere.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I did it once out of morbid curiosity, just to see where it was going. Wasn't all that bad in the end, but I definitely will never do that again. Not worth it at all.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
me. for me it's really hard to drop a game once i've put a few hours in, and even if i do i have to go back and finish it. this is why i'm super careful about the games i buy and play.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Horizon Zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World, and Nier Automata were the last only impulse purchases I've made.
I've learned my lessons and will hopefully not buy into the hype anymore.
Also, there are so many great games out there, you can wait for great discounts.