• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many consoles have you purchased Day 1?

Votes: 370 19.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 561 28.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 303 15.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 122 6.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 204 10.5%
  • None

Votes: 387 19.9%

• Total voters

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Parents stood in line to pick up PS1 and N64, all the systems before that I got the Christmas of the year of their release. Dreamcast was the first one I got myself on launch. I've also bought every system since day 1, except maybe PS5 due to them selling preorders before they should have, although I might still luck out and get one.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Parents stood in line to pick up PS1 and N64, all the systems before that I got the Christmas of the year of their release. Dreamcast was the first one I got myself on launch. I've also bought every system since day 1, except maybe PS5 due to them selling preorders before they should have, although I might still luck out and get one.

Man, I always feel like I really missed out with Dreamcast. Never did get one. Really wanted to though.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
I was raised by a single mum, so video games were a luxury let alone a new console so when I did get a new console it meant the world to me. Once I was able to earn my own living I haven't missed a system launch since the PS3.

Jun 20, 2018
Until now, it was only the Wii. Xbox Series X will be my 2nd one.

As a kid, it seemed normal to have to wait for the new consoles. They were expensive. My parents weren't particularly poor, and I don't remember friends getting stuff at launch or year one either. Maybe that influenced my thinking as I got older. I got my PS2 and 360 a year after they each launched, as I felt like it took that long to get a decent selection of games. With the last gen I waited even longer, leaving it 3 whole years before jumping in. I'm only doing it this time as I never had an Xbox One, and it seems smarter to just go to Series X instead of getting a One X now, then a Series X in a few years.

I also got the DS and PSP day 1. They were a lot cheaper, and definitely more of a novelty than most home consoles.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, 1, the Nintendo Switch. I canceled PS4 and XONE for GPU and cell phone. I was unable to acquire a 360 back in the day. XSX and PS5 will make 2 and 3.

Archeteo

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 15, 2020
The last console I purchased day one was a PS2 — and I didn't even purchase it as it was a gift.

I can't see myself purchasing any piece of technology day one these days, in all honesty.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
None. Always waited for at least the first price cut and also to see if there's any evidence of hardware issues.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Just the Switch. I usually wait at least a few months before getting a new console because they tend to have issues, but I couldn't wait to play BOTW.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Just two so far, the PS4 and the Switch (three if you count the PS4 Pro as well). PS5 soon.
I've only been gaming on consoles since the mid to late 360/PS3 gen, when I sold my PC and got a Macbook for work.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
NES (if Christmas 1985 counts)
SNES (got held up in shipping, though)
Virtual Boy (yeah...)
N64
DS Lite
Xbox
Gamecube
Wii
Switch
PS5
Xbox Series X

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Wii
Wii U
Nintendo Switch
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
PSP
PS3
PS4
PS4 Pro
PS5
Xbox Series X

Pretty much gone day 1 since I started earning my own money.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
  • Mega Drive,
  • 32X (does that count? lol what a piece of crap that was)
  • Sega Saturn,
  • Dreamcast,
  • OG Xbox,
  • Xbox 360 (man that was hard to source day 1) ,
  • XBox One,
  • Xbox One X ...

and now the Xbox Series X

Thats not even listing the other consoles and hardware if owned...its crazy when you list it out like that

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The first console I bought on launch day was a 360 when I was 15. The funny thing was I preorderd a Core model because that was all I could get and they sent me a Premium by accident so that was a bonus.

Xbox 360
PS4
PS5

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
I ... hum, all of them, I guess. As soon as I started paying for my gaming habits (After SNES/Genesis console generation)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Gamecube, great games but didn't play it much (I was 15 and mostly at friends or playing Counter Strike, Rogue Squadron looked amazing though) and 3DS, bought it after a rather boring night out when drunk in Tesco on a whim, regretted it for months as none of the launch line up was that good but got the free games due to being an early adopter so all good.

I got the Dreamcast early on but not at launch, probably one of my favourite consoles ever.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
This is the first generation where I'm in a financial position to get a console Day 1. It is an objectively stupid purchase but I am excited

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Wii and PS4 (PS4 was actually a few days after release, when stock came in). Wii was fun, I went to several stores, trying to track down Zelda, a Nunchuck and the console. I always wanted to buy a console day 1 and that was a good day, that I remember fondly.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I bought PS4 last time, then X1X a few years later. This time will do it the other way around.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Man, I always feel like I really missed out with Dreamcast. Never did get one. Really wanted to though.

Was a great system, one of my favorites of all time. Just unfortunate it came out during peak online piracy, every single person in my high school that played games would pass around ripped ISOs for PS1, PC and DC games. If it wasn't so easy to pirate for it most likely would have lasted in the market way longer, and who knows where Sega would be now.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Everything from the DS onwards, with the exception of the 360 which I got a year after release.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Switch
Series X

360 was definitely my favourite launch. My previous consoles were mostly second hand or were received late into the generations as my parents could not afford them. The 360 I saved up all year as a 16 year old to be able to buy. Playing online was a revelation (I had played pso on Dreamcast but Xbox live was such an amazing experience). PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero (the multiplayer) were really fun.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
  1. Dreamcast
  2. Gamecube
  3. GBA SP
  4. NDS
  5. PSP
  6. XB360
  7. 3DS
  8. Vita
  9. PS4
  10. PSTV
  11. PS4 Pro
  12. N3DS
  13. Switch
  14. XB1X
  15. PS5
  16. XSX (Tentative)

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dreamcast, WiiU, PS4, PS4 Pro, Switch, Xbox One X.

If handhelds count, GBA, GBA SP, DS Lite and 3DS.

I have a PS5 pre-ordered to add on to that.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
PS2, PSP, PS4, Switch, PS5.

Series X if the Smyths/Klarna clusterfuck gets resolved

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
DS, PSP, 3DS, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

I have the Series X and PS5 preordered as well so they should get here on day one.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I had a bunch of them within the first few months but not on day 1. Series X will be my first launch day.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
None, to my knowledge. Generally I've either got consoles around 3-6 months after launch (GameCube, Xbox 360) or much later as part of a refresh (PS2 slim, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Me personally as an adult, only one - Nintendo Switch. Who wasn't eager to jump off the Wii U especially after the torturous 2016? Lol

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
360, Wii, Wii-U, 3DS, Switch, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series X, PS5, Vita... I'm a sucker is what I'm saying.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Day One:
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X Scorpio Edition

Plus the following very early in their life:
PlayStation
PlayStation 4 Pro
Xbox
Nintendo 64
Xbox One S

The only reason I wasn't Day One with the original PlayStation was that I was a poor student and couldn't afford one. But getting a credit card sorted that out a few months later! PlayStation 5 is going to be the first Sony console I've not had on day one since 2000.

Have got an Xbox Series X and Series S (the latter for my kids) coming on day one.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
None

Master System was already out
Mega Drive I imported long before it was released in UK which worked out much cheaper too
Mega CD imported
PC Engine imported, never released here.
PS1 bought used
PS2-PS3-PS4 Pro I waited 6-12 months for good deals/bundles
Xbox 360 waited until a Japser unit was proved to be good enough to buy. First low noise and reliable 360 iirc.

I've bought plenty of graphics cards at launch though.

With PS5 I'll wait to see how loud and reliable it is. It's PS3 type money again so I'm unlikely to buy day 1 anyway unless GT7 is a surprise launch and a must have.

I get the excitement and playing those launch titles. Ratchet and Clank would be really nice on a fresh new box. Importing I did was probably bigger excitement because it wasn't even available and many JPN 16 bit titles could be played without a problem.