• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many 2020 games did you play in 2020?

• 3 or fewer

Votes: 148 22.5%
  • 4-6

Votes: 137 20.8%
  • 7-9

Votes: 98 14.9%
  • 10-12

Votes: 80 12.2%
  • 13-15

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • 16 or more

Votes: 170 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
None. It pays off, both technically and financially, to wait it out and buy the enhanced and bug-free product (which is quite often the case nowadays unfortunately) at a discount.

I will eventually get to the 2020 games, after I'm done finishing those released in 2017 :D

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
10 games in total.

But if we count late ports and remasters, it'd be more as I also played PSO2, Persona 4 Golden, Horizon Zero Dawn, and RDR Online in 2020. I played too many older games and service/online games last year.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I played more than 16 20+ hour games to completion this year and a dozen others for an hour or two. It was a great year for games.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Among Us ( I count that as 2020) (because it is almost free on PC, and free on mobile)
Fall Guys (because it was free)
Worms Rumble (Free as well)
and that Rocket Something Game that bombed from EA, also because it was free

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
A quick count brings me to 12, might be one or two more. Looking at my list and I don't remember when most games came out, I looked up a few like damn Gears Tactics came out this year? I would've said 2018 lmao

Never thought to track this on my games played/beaten list. I'll do it for this year.

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Some people included a list, but I think it's interesting to look at what people played if they're willing to put that info out there.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played many 2020 games, this is what I got:

1. Paradise Killer
2. Hades
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
4. Monster Train
5. Slay the Spire (iOS released in 2020)
6. Risk of Rain 2
7. Gunfire Reborn
8. Persona 4 Golden

That is off the top of my head. I don't think I missed anything in there. I played a lot of older games like I always do.

Sep 21, 2019
DOOM Eternal, Ori and Will of Wisps, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2, Hades, Cyberpunk 2077, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Demon's Souls Remake, Spiderman Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, Half Life Alyx, Nioh 2, Visage, Blair Witch, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Wasteland 3, Watch Dogs Legion, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Dreams, and Persona 5 Royal.

Probably missing a few others.

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing and Astro's Playroom. And only because it came pre-installed.

My goal is to buy zero games in 2021. My backlog should be enough to sustain me through the year. And years to come.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Ehm the ones I can remember are TLOU2, Resident Evil 3, Fall guys, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Paper Mario, SoS Friends of Mineral Town, Super Mario 3D All Stars.

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Dragon Ball Kakarot, Journey To The Savage Planet, Ori and The Will Of The Wisps, Gears Tactics, Ff7 Remake, Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima, Spiritfarer, Astros Playroom, Tetris Effect Connected, Call Of The Sea,

11 finished.

Currently nearly finished Hivebusters and Miles Morales but i guess we are past the new year so they didn't make the cut.

Faith

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Fall Guys
Miles Morales
DIRT 5
Astro's Playroom

I should actually try to play games one day but a thing called depression is a bitch.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I have Game Pass and review games on the side. I'm only counting games that released for the first time in 2020 (no late ports, remasters ok if not also a late port) that I played to completion or significant enough time in games with no stories:

- Darwin Project
- Red Bow
- SpongeBob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
- Minecraft Dungeons
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- Spider-Man Remastered
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Bleeding Edge
- Astro's Playroom
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Bright Memory
- Battletoads
- Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Animal Crossing New Horizons
- Gears Tactics
- PSO 2

Counting DLC
- Gears 5 Hivebusters
- Outer Worlds Peril on Gorgon

My Top 3:
1. Ori (GOTY)
2. Ghost of Tsushima
3. MSFS

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I just looked through the list of games released in 2020 and I played twice as many as I thought.

26 Games:
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Beat)
Coffee Talk (Beat)
Hunt: Showdown (Plan to finish)
Sayonara Wild Hearts (Dropped b/c Apple Arcade trial ended)
OPM: A Hero Nobody Knows (Dropped)
My Hero: One's Justice 2 (Dropped)
Exit The Gungeon (Dropped)
Doom Eternal (Beat)
OP Pirate Warriors 4 (Dropped)
Persona 5 Royal (Beat)
FFVII Remake (Beat)
Helltaker (Dropped)
Streets of Rage 4 (Plan to Finish)
Xenoblade Chronicles: DE (Plan to Finish)
Last of Us Part II (Beat)
Kingdom Hearts: Dark Road (Dropped)
Ghost of Tsushima (Plan to Finish)
Microsoft Flight Simulator (Can't Beat?)
Hades (Plan to Finish)
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Beat)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Dropped until PS5 patch)
Astro's Playroom (Beat)
Demon's Souls (Playing)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Beat)
Kingdom Hearts: MoM (Beat)
CyberPunk 2077 (Dropped until Next-Gen patch)

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I completed 6 games that was released in 2020:
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
Hotshots Racing
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Resident Evil 3
Streets of Rage 4
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised actually by the number since I thought it was a little lower, but it's probably because only a few of these I consider memorable, as far as how good I thought they were overall.

Nioh 2
Final Fantasy VIIR
RE3R
TLOU2
Carrion
KoARR (does this even count?)
Vigil
Wasteland 3
Hades
Demon's Souls
Cyberpunk 2077
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Have only completed six of these though.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
To completion? Just one (Streets of Rage 4).
At all? Less than 10 (SoR 4, Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Godfall, FFVII:Remake, Minecraft: Dungeons and Hades are the only ones I can think of).

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised I managed to play 7 new releases.
AC Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
CoD Blops Cold War
Miles Morales
Streets of Rage 4
Division 2: Warlords of New York
Crash 4

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Streets of Rage 4
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
Yakuza: Like A Dragon (but I just started it at the very end of 2020)

Didn't get round to 13 Sentinels and I couldn't get a PS5 so none of that stuff.

Top 3:

1. Hades
2. Paper Mario
3. SoR4

Yakuza would probably have gotten in if I'd had more time, I'm only on Chapter 3.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Only Paradise Killer. I usually wait till games are discounted and there were not that many games released last year that really interest me.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hm, played FF7R, and bought just about every Nintendo release this year except Clubhouse Games because no much point in waiting for games that don't get price drops (from memory, TMS, Mystery Dungeon, Xenoblade, AC, Paper Mario, 3D All Stars, Pikmin 3, Age of Calamity). So like 9? Held off on most non-Nintendo stuff for inevitable upgraded next-gen versions.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Probably 4-6. I say probably, since two games are remasters.

Animal Crossing NH, Final Fantasy 7R, Cold Steel 4, and if we count them, Persona 5R and Xenoblade DE.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A quick count of the ones I got at least one achievement in says 44 and they were all on Game Pass.
And it looks like I've played 142 games in total last year.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Hmm... 7? I thought it was higher for some reason, but I prefer replaying old favorites.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
7, that's the most in a long time, I'm usually playing games a few years after release.

Hades, new horizons, Spelunky 2, Tlou2, SoR4, Mario 35, fall guys.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Amazingly about 20 - way higher than I thought given that I try to patient game.7 of them are GamePass games which I only played for about five minutes (only had GP for a free months trial) - Battletoads, Hotshot Racing, Neon Abyss, Streets of Rage 4 and Touhou Luna Nights. Swimsanity and Maid of Sker were GWG. I ended up getting a bunch of new releases on Steam cheaply Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2, Splunky 2 and Touhou Luna Nights (again). A few start of year releases had hit sub 20 GBP levels by Black Friday - Resi Remake 3, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Will of the Wisps and Star Wars Squadrons. Finally I picked up the East Asia Shmup bundle of 3 games for a pound or so.

Didn't expect to be in the top tier of the poll.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one with a lot. I bought and played 60+ games last year, and I don't play very many indies aside from the really notable ones. 2020 was absolutely packed.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to remember and I am very forgetful.

TLOU2
FF7R
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
RE3 Remake
Hades
Ori 2
Astro Playroom
Demons Souls Remake

so yeah 8, unless I'm forgetting something.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I recall ten.
Bugsnax, Devolverland Expo, Dreams, Fuser, Skater XL, Spiritfarer, Streets of Rage 4, Tell Me Why, The LaOfUs 2, Watch Dogs Legion.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Rolled credits on 22 games from 2020, probably played around 40 (lots of "Check it out for 3-5 hours on Game Pass" among them).

Orteip490

Oct 28, 2017
Finished :
Persona 5
Pokémon Shield
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Spiderman
Super Mario Odyssey
Horizon: Zero Dawn
DuckTales (GameBoy)
Played/-ing:
The Last of Us 2
Crash 4
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS4)

Raigor

May 14, 2020
DOOM ETERNAL
DREAMS
ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISP
MS FLIGHT SIMULATOR
WASTELAND 3
THE LAST OF US PART 2
GHOST OF TSUSHIMA
CRUSADER KINGS 3
HADES
CYBERPUNK 2077
FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was 19 or 20, but I play a lot of indies. I think the only game I paid $60 for was Death Stranding.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
Coffee Talk, Dota Underlords, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Call of Duty Warzone, Baldur's Gate 3, Wasteland 3, Crusader Kings 3, XCOM: Chimera Squad, Gears Tactics, Void Bastards, Carrion, Doom Eternal, Minecraft Dungeons, Spiritfarer, Superhot: Mind Control Delete, Tony Hawk 1+2, Genshin Impact, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Spelunky 2, BPM: Bullets Per Minute, Fall Guys, Risk of Rain 2, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Watch Dogs: Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Cyberpunk 2077.

Ports of older games that were released this year: Hades on Steam, Dragon Quest XI S for Xbox, Persona 4 Golden for Steam, Death Stranding for Steam.

Last edited:

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm way above 15, but only thanks to Game Pass. I think I only bought 3 (Animal Crossing, Hades, Call of Duty) and borrowed a couple more. So 5-6 if Xbox wasn't giving them to me all the time? Otherwise I'd have bought a couple more - like I was playing Ori and Wasteland 3 either way. And right at the end I played Astro's Playroom as I got my PS5 right before the 2020 buzzer.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm. I would say honestly, 3 or fewer from my own 'choice' because aside from circumstances, I would have only done Final Fantasy VII Remake.

I did about ten in real life as I still review stuff for my old game site. Like that I played Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, Melody of Memory, Mad Rat Dead, Maneater, Trials of Mana, void TTRLM, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Disaster Report 4, Patapon 2 and Dead or School. Officially I'm retired from game 'journalism' but they still come to me for the weird stuff. I enjoy playing them, but I don't buy recent stuff anymore. Considering how awesome Melody of Memory and Maneater are that would actually have been a bit of a shame.