• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
If by backlog you mean only games I have already bought, not that long. But if you include those that are already out and that I'd like to play one day, then yeah I'd be set for the foreseeable future.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I have over 600 games in my backlog as of today (only like 40 are PC games). I stopped buying games on Jan 1, 2019 to try to get at this problem. The issue is, I don't have time to play the ones I have now...

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
So if I git sent to Mars I'm thinking I'll be set for life maybe. I mean if I actually tried to play every game I own to completion.

But my backlog exists cause these are games I buy out of curiosity. I just want to play them for 30 mins and move on. So I don't think of it as a backlog really

Oct 25, 2017
Rest of my life probably, especially at how my pace has slowed down with a kid and a real job.

Sometimes I think I could honestly just have a thoughtless Destiny-like GaaS and be basically done with buying games.

Oct 27, 2017
Never probably, not because of too many games. The reason is because games go into my backlog because they weren't interesting enough to finish when I bought them. Occasionally I might have an urge to play one of them but if I stopped buying games, I would probably also only play the ones I have completed already and the backlog would remain.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Probably set for life. Might require re-playing things, but I do that sometimes anyway

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Oh... boy. Not sure if forever, but certainly longer than any reasonable human natural life expectancy. My Steam library is a mere 170 games, but very few of them are anywhere near completed. And a large number of them are games that can be returned to any number of times, such as Binding of Isaac, Factorio, Skyrim, Enter the Gungeon, FTL, Space Rangers HD, Space Engineers, Mount&Blade, both X-Com and XCOM, Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, all kinds of Worms and GTA games, etc, etc. I seem to favor games that offer massive replayability, and I don't think I'll ever hit a saturation point with all of them even if I were to abandon all productive activities and just focus on games.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I've actually gone through a significant purge of my library recently as I enjoy replaying games but realized I have way too many to revisit regularly. Down from ~500 to ~300 total with a remaining backlog of 60. Only bought and kept 1 game so far this year so feeling like I may finally put my backlog to rest by 2020

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
My backlog of PSP games alone is embarrassing. Now throw in DS, 3DS, Vita, PS3, PS4, PC...

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I have over a thousand games I haven't even launched, and I really only get time to play maybe two or so a year. Honestly, I could just stop buying games forever and be alright.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see me clearing my backlog. I am lucky the year so far has been sparse of must play titles.

I have RDR2 to give a second try. Controls are a pain

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - on Chapter 5 or 6.

Dragon Quest XI. On a break Praying to St Jude they release a patch on PS4 for the soundtrack.

Far Cry V still in the packing

Tales of Vesperia - nearing the end of act 2. Not seeing why people love this title but I will finish it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
e4w5ty687iinjvj.png

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
My life was mostly playing games from the ages of 13 to 19 so there aren't many games that I'm interested in that I haven't played, my current backlog is only about 6 games long so maybe a month at most if I stretch as hard as I can. I own a bunch of games on Steam that I've never played (from bundles and sales) but I'm also not really interested in playing them so I don't really count them on my backlog.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Not long at all, maybe a year if that if I get in 2 hours of gaming a day. Most of my previous backlog consisted of games I put in a couple of hours and knew I'd never touch again, so I sold them.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Probably until I was dead, assuming all the GaaS titles didn't have the servers shut off. It's really disgusting (to myself) how much I've spent, and I'm doing much better these days at buying and playing a single, strong ongoing service title (ESO 5 years and counting) for months to years. This is a better investment in my sanity and hobby.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
At the rate I'm playing games currently, 4 years easily. Have around 200 games on PS4 alone that I haven't played/finished.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
It's not that bad for me luckily, I have like 10+ games that I have bought but never played? So maybe a year I guess.

On a side note: Honestly the best thing you can do about a big backlog is to accept that "yeah, I spent that money and I'm probably never even gonna touch most of those games" and only purchase something when you know that you're going to play it afterwards. Also play what you want, you're doing this for your own entertainment, it's not a job.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
I could make it last for at least 7 or 8 years. Make it 10 years if I wanted to 100% absolutely everything. I own around 1000 games between Steam, GoG, Origin, PS3, PS4 and Switch. I will never touch around 80% of the games I already have through Bundles, PS Plus and whatever.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
If i counted all my games correctly and are able to download and sore em all. Thats like 2000+ games.

But really all i need is DOOM. i can play that forever.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A lifetime, for sure. I've got hundreds of physical games, over a thousand digital games on Steam, tons of games on XBox/PS4, and a Sega EverDrive with a library.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Probably about a month. I'm currently getting close to the end of the game I'm playing, and after that I have Cuphead. After that, I have no backlog.

There are also a couple of other games I bought that I decided not to finish because I didn't like them. I'm not counting those because I wouldn't finish them even if I had all the time in the world.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
If you mean to finish it, finishing my backlog is kind of my goal for 2019/2020. I could eke out 2/3 years, maybe a little more if I got lazy. If you just mean "could you survive for life with just the games you have and never buy another game for good", I'd be set.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Just did calculations on some website and my steam account alone has 13,000+ hours worth of non-completionist gameplay just from finite single player games. Never mind that I could just play Civ indefinitely. That's not even getting into all the stuff I have on console.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Technically forever. There are some games that I'd never get tired of replaying and mastering. I don't play videogames enough in general for me to get tired of all like ~120 games I own.

If I were to move on to the next after beating it, like 6 years? I have a large backlog of 70 games. I beat 15 games a year on average.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Probably about 3 months or so... Current backlog games are Pokemon: Let's Go, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War (want to get the Plat for this one), XCOM2, and I think that is about it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Centuries, probably.

...But like, seriously, years and years. My Steam backlog in particular is literally in the hundreds.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
If we're talking actual backlog, like sole games I've purchased with the intent of playing and have written most of them down for that purpose, about 30 games. Considering none of them are sprawling RPGs with 40+ hour runtimes, (in fact I would say most of them would take less than 12 hours to beat) I would say roughly half a year to beat all of them or something like the rest of this year.

If were talking literally everything that's in any library on any platform or device, whether it be bundle stuff, things I nabbed for free from GOG, Twitch games I've gotten with Amazon Prime, PS+ stuff...it would take years. But I don't count that as a backlog because it would be stupid.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Years. I have hundreds of games I've gotten from bundles and stuff on Steam that I'll realistically never get around to touching.
This. Steam bundles and PS+ game would guarantee me years if not decades of games. A lot of unwanted stuff, but I have at least a dozen that I want to play through so that could be a couple of years worth.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I built my current PC back in 2011 for Skyrim. I plan on building a new one this year even though the game I play more than anything else is still Skyrim. Whilst I enjoy Assassin's Creed a lot too, it's not something I could live without when I still have the TES series (Online included, are new expansions allowed?), Fallout, and AC Origins/Odyssey.

I think I'd be good until Starfield.