Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And who do you believe will be fighting it?

I mean open war between major world powers.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I could see Russia escalating if Trump loses power and a hard anti Russia diplomacy is instilled.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Slim to none.
We've become increasingly proficient at isolating conflict via proxy wars.
One day we may run out of fledgling states and regime-change targets to hedge against one another.
That day won't come any time soon.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a global scale war happening, but what I do see if smaller proxy wars increasing headed by the big super powers for global influence. I can see Africa potentially being an area where people start competing harder for influence, especially as others see what China is doing there.

I just can't see a superpower vs superpower war happening, but I can see them waging war against each other through other peoples.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Major power wars have largely been aided since the end of WWII because world leaders wisely put in place a set of global institutions of cooperation, like the United Nations. Democracies don't tend to attack other democracies, and the spread of international trade has linked countries together in a prosperity of interdependence. That's why major power conflicts have been largely non-existent since (and the major one with the USSR didn't involve two democracies or countries linked by trade).

So... as long as we don't see any major disruptions to global institutions and alliances, democratic norms remain strong, and free trade continues, we shouldn't see any major power wars.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
10 years? Maybe? A lot can happen.

I think some countries will start wars over resources as soon as 20 years from now, once global warming starts fucking shit up for real (its only gonna get worse).

Edit:

Not talking oil, but food and water / more livable land.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Very.

Our world is obviously under a conservative / fascist new wave threat. The single way to sort this shit will obviously be war. Now, what's dangerous is just like Brazil is succumbing to fascist ideas, same goes for Trump America and several countries in Europe. I'm legit scared we'll be seeing something like this happening in less than 2 years, let alone 10.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Global war? Nope.

Limited war between a few nations? Likely. In fact it's already going on in Yeman.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
my guess would be resources and habitable land if the alarming climate change reports are to be believed

Yurp. We're going to see the major powers see an actual loss of workable, arable, livable land and what remains, or whats exposed, will be heavily sought after.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I just don't see the point of War between world powers in the modern age. There are many ways of attacking another nation.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Quite big if all the "right" people fuck up. But probably nothing will happen cause there is too many nukes and money to be maid with smaller wars.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, if global warming really leads to large pieces of earth becoming inhabitable and mass migrations starts happening, wars will be fought for land that's still viable.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
5-10? Doubtful. But you never know. Nukes changed the game. Aint no one trying to go hard on other great powers. Some nation that can't really fight back? Or can only fight back via asymmetrical warfare? Sure.

But other nations with nukes? No one wants that heat. Assuming of course everyone is a rational player of this game. Some mofos might be crazy enough....
Martin-Sheen-The-Dead-Zone-Movie-Presidents-Who-Would-Probably-Be-Worse-Than-Donald-Trump.jpg

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
Tbh, I can say with certainty that unless some kind of catalyst on the level of Ferdinand were to happen, there won't be another global scale war in this century. And I think we as a species have made it so that nothing can spiral as much into chaos as the lead up to The Great War did. Even as bad as things get, it won't ever go full scale like it did. We can't afford to let something that big happen again.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
An American Civil war is more likely than a global war, at this point.

For all those who say a civil war is 0% likely:
What would you do, if Trump takes more power and illegally claims a second or third term? If the American system becomes more fascist? If more and more dissenting people are jailed? If democratic protests are crushed with the military?

Just take it?

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
War between great powers is unlikely, but proxy wars that lead to a refugee crisis for the great powers is pretty likely.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
An American Civil war is more likely than a global war, at this point.

For all those who say a civil war is 0% likely:
What would you do, if Trump takes more power and illegally claims a second or third term? If the American system becomes more fascist? If more and more dissenting people are jailed? If democratic protests are crushed with the military?

Just take it?

Vote.

JK, i agree with you

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
I feel like a lot of people on this site are wishing for war in a shadenfruedian(sp) way. Those North Korea missle threads a few months ago were damn eye opening.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Global is unlikely. World wide regional wars is likely.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Not happening. In this world and age, that would kill the economy of many if not all countries.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will gladly take a bet for anyone who thinks there will be a global war or an American civil war in the next 10 years.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Hmm, it's more likely that we'll see another Cold War between China and the West over the influence of Southeast Asia and Africa.

It'll basically be a series of conflicts where the Americans and Europeans support one side, while the Chinese support another.

Oct 28, 2017
Digital warfare is the new battle ground, not guns and planes and nukes (those are for the aliens), nations are currently fighting with 1's and 0's (sometimes both, sometimes neither)

Apple and Amazon will fight to buy Walmart, that is the next World War.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Nuclear Peace has been pretty successfully preventing these. Whereas because before nuclear weapons there was a war between major powers like every 20 years.