• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I remember being really interested in the game when the initial trailers came out and I was waiting for reviews to see how it was. It reminded me almost of Bioshock with its overly happy dystopia.

Reviewers tore it apart becasue it wasn't a glitchy mess but the developers made a statement saying they were determined to fix it.

After that I never heard a single thing about the game. Did it ever get fixed or is it still a mess? It's currently on sale on PS4 so I'm wondering if it's in a good state to play now.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I think they've fixed most of the technical issues, though most critics took greater issue with the game's design. Procedural content is generally frowned upon among the AAA audience, as are survival mechanics. Many people saw the E3 trailer and expected a story-driven Bioshock-ish affair, which WHF is not.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think they've fixed most of the technical issues, though most critics took greater issue with the game's design. Procedural content is generally frowned upon among the AAA audience, as are survival mechanics. Many people saw the E3 trailer and expected a story-driven Bioshock-ish affair, which WHF is not.

Has the performance on console been improved?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I played a bit on PC the other day. It wasn't too bad, but definitely don't go in expecting a bioshock style game. It's a survival game with a bit more of a slant on story (so long as you're sticking to the main path like I have been).

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Only own a PS4 Pro :/
Ah, my bad!, but to answer your question, it's one of the quirkiest games I've ever played. The narrative alone makes it worth most of the price tag, however due to the glitches that run rampant in this game it can be very very frustrating for those who are impatient. I thought through the glitches and laughed at a few of them, so I was able to finish this game feeling mostly good about it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, my bad!, but to answer your question, it's one of the quirkiest games I've ever played. The narrative alone makes it worth most of the price tag, however due to the glitches that run rampant in this game it can be very very frustrating for those who are impatient. I thought through the glitches and laughed at a few of them, so I was able to finish this game feeling mostly good about it.

When did you play We Happy Few? I ask because I'm curious if all of those glitches exist post patches.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
When did you play We Happy Few? I ask because I'm curious if all of those glitches exist post patches.

About a month ago, give or take. The game did have multi patches since then, but reading trough the subreddit, it's stil suffers from glitches and random quirkiness, but it's stil an enjoyable game for the narrative alone to be honest.

Nov 5, 2017
Playing through it at the moment via gamespass, here's what I've found:
- Can be a bit janky here and there but I've stuck with it
- Nice variety of different 'quests'
- Dialogue seems well thought out, very much enjoying its 'quirkiness'
- Doesn't force you into the 'side quests' but gives you upgrade points for most of them if you do them which is good (plus they've all been somewhat enjoyable)
- Load times are long, although I'm playing on OG Xbone (for now...) - also the game will randomly start loading randomly while walking around which is just jarring
- Not sure if anyone has completed a no-kill playthrough but I gave up almost instantly
- Feels like a few of the mechanics from the 'survival' version have been brought through to the updated mode but don't serve much purpose (they're still quite interesting though)
- Just completed the butcher question and it was... amazing

Overall:
- Enjoying it and willing to put up with its janks & load times to get through the story

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I started playing it yesterday and so far there are 2 things that's really bothering me to the point it stopped last night and might not continue.

1. Very long load times

2. No load game option in pause menu so if you fail a stealth part or something else you have to quit to title screen then wait for 3 long ass loading screens to choose load game.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just been playing this via Game Pass at the weekend, surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The setting is fantastic. Definitely worth checking out if you have the service.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
just finished a no kill play through on xbox

quickhottake: the game is so close to being brilliant, but a lot of the systems needed more time in the oven.

despite that i had fun till the 3rd character who really makes a no kill run hard till you get a certain weapon.

the ai is janky, and having to run a lot shows this off.

honestly the core gameplay loop is great. hunger etc is not debilitating on normal so i mostly ignored it.

there's lots of story for people into that, tons if you read and watch the collectables and do side quests.

voiceovers seem good nothing was jarring

game gets harder and gameplay refocused for each of the three characters you play

edit: thinking back, i have to say a lot of the quests / missions are really great even if in practice some parts ended up frustrating.

Last edited:

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Just going to warn everyone that the ending is supremely unsatisfying. It has some wonderful characters and dialogue, but it just... ends.