Thoughts on Jim Carrey as comedic actor?

• Dude's hilarious! One of Hollywood's all-time-greats comedians!

Votes: 245 23.7%
  • For the most part, he's pretty damn funny.

Votes: 290 28.1%
  • He's definitely got some funny roles/bits, but it's hit or miss what you're gonna get.

Votes: 299 28.9%
  • I don't find him that funny other than a few exceptions.

Votes: 104 10.1%
  • I straight-up don't think he's funny.

Votes: 70 6.8%
  • Doesn't matter, this should be a thread about him as a dramatic actor.

Votes: 24 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He's one of the best ever. He fell off as time went on which happens to all comedians. But he made me laugh a lot in his prime.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't thought of him as funny since i was a kid around 6-9 yrs old. Pretty much watching the mask as a kid and thinking it's funny. Other than that he's whatever on my radar.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Loved him when I was a teenager but now I only like the Mask, Liar Liar, The Grinch, and the Truman Show. Bruce Almighty was alright. Haven't seen Sonic yet.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thought he was the funniest in the 90s but I was in 6th grade.

Still think he's really pretty funny now, Biden scripts aside.

I'd love to see him in more dramatic stuff though, as that's more my taste these days and he's actually a good actor, but he's still got the comedy chops.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
When I was a kid, I thought he was hilarious. As an adult, alot of that stuff is kinda grating. Not all, but alot.

If anything, I've grown to appreciate him more as an actor and performer than explicitly a comedian.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
He's pretty good at what he does for the most part.

As far as comedic roles, Sonic the Hedgehog seems to be a return to form for him(though I admit haven't seen a lot of what he's done in the last 15 years).

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny in his earlier career. Insufferable now. Heard from a lot of people with whom he's worked that he's a giant piece of shit on set. Kazuhiro Tsuji almost gave up his career because of how he treated him on the set of the Grinch.

Also pisses me off that he acts like an enlightened guru even though he helped propel the antivax movement.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
He is a much better dramatic actor than comedian, but that must be because comedies are the worst genres to age... Liar Liar was probably the one that aged the best and still have some scenes that ... =x

Also he sounds like an asshole

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think he has a shtick that was funny enough for a few all-time classics but isn't good enough to maintain a longterm several-decade spanning career if he's to consistently pursue comedy. I also think Mike Myers was the superior 90s blockbuster comedy actor with a really specific tone.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I just think he's weird, never het his brand of humor. His more serious roles are much better

Sep 14, 2019
I don't think he's funny. I'm not a fan of the "class clown" type. I mean, he's more than that. I can acknowledge he has talent, but he's just not funny to me.

I've seen those credit scenes where he's just purposely goofing off and it frustrates me how often he does it. Like, if I was part of the crew I wouldn't mind the first few times, but I'd get annoyed eventually.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've long grown out of his brand of physical comedy, but I now appreciate his acting chops a
lot more.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Ventura was like the movie of my entire youth. I must've watched it hundreds of times growing up.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I prefer his more serious and semi-serious roles. Wish I was in the alternative universe where New Line stuck with their idea of have Jim Carrey as a horror icon. The Mask is such a waste as it is, would have made a better horror film.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Was jim carrey ever funny or were we just young?

I ask the same question about Adam sandler's first movies

have y'all tried watching them recently 🤢🤮

Ps: I find jim carrey funny
I also remember him being funny in my childhood and haven't introspected on this thought further. Comedy is reliant on observations in their time period and context so it ages pretty fast.

Oct 25, 2017
The guy is absolutely mental. But yeah I think he's a comedic genius, incredibly talented and will go down as an all-time great. Sucks that he sort of lost his mind and his films got progressively worse and sparse

Some of my favourite bits he's done on talk shows and award shows

(watch till the end)

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
He can be hit and miss, sure, but I rarely think the miss is his fault. Sometimes the movie or script just isn't there. But give him a funny script and he nails it more often than not for me. Dude's awesome. Love stuff like Dumb and Dumber, Me Myself and Irene, Ace Ventura. Quality stuff.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
So much of his humor relies on finding the stupid facial expressions he makes amusing. His style of humor just isn't for me. I know it sounds a bit arrogant or something, but I genuinely wish I could find his humor as entertaining as other people do.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some of his best stuff comes from outside his movies.

Him accepting or presenting an award was always great.

edit: few favorites:

2nd Golden Globe right after he won his first the year before:

presenting Oscar in 1996:

presenting an other Oscar in 1999:

and my favorite:

unfortunatly, there isn't a official high quality version of it on the internet..

Last edited:

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
As a kid he could do no wrong but his schtick really puts me off in the Grinch but actually I don't know if it's fair to say that because the movie itself is so bad.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Ace Ventura in the evil villains palace sneaking around pretending the ground is lava...and then SLAMMING the door is one of the funniest scenes of all time and it's cuz of Jim Carrey's physical comedy. Me Myself and Irene, Liar Liar, dumb n dumber, Ace Ventura movies, The Mask...he has some comedy classics under his belt and it's safe to say that at least 99% of his movies are carried by him.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My favourite comedy he's in is probably the Cable Guy, but do enjoy some of his more overt slapstick comedy (Ace Ventura 2/Dumb and Dumber). I'm a weirdo and enjoyed the number 23 as well. But yeah, a little bit of him goes a long way. Wouldn't do a Jim Carey marathon.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I don't find him funny anymore though I loved his humour as a kid, but he's still incredibly entertaining.

It's interesting though that while he is known for his comedic roles, it's his performances in both Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Truman Show that have in my opinion solidified him as one of the all-time greats. I wished he'd do more roles like those.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
He's pretty great. I rewatched Cable Guy a couple of weeks ago and it was still funny. Love Ace Ventura 2, Dumb and Dumber, Eternal Sunshine, Sonic.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I feel his comedy shtick stopped in the 90s. Even his most recent comedy movies, it really feels like a relic of the 90s.

But he is great in his serious roles.

source.gif

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
If youbasked me 15-20 years ago I would have have said he was my favorite comedic actor. Not so much nowadays.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Pet Detective was funny at the time. Most of what he does is pulling weird faces, something i don't find funny at all.
The Mask, Grinch, etc were completely unfunny shit movies to me. I do like his serious roles.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I do, however watching Man on the Moon last year along with Jim & Andy soured my opinion of him a bit.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
He is one of the greatest (if not the best) physical comedian of all time (maybe Jerry Lewis is up there) but that kind of performance gets a little repetitive after a while, a kind of fadigue. But he also has an incredible range as an actor (Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are amazing and I can watch them over and over, and that is due to his performance). I also respect his dedication (although that worked against him in Man on the Moon) that is show even on Sonic (again he made a better movie just because of his performance ).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I love Jim Carrey old or new if it's comedic then I'm onboard. Watching him Sonic made the movie for me.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
He's funny but that kind of manic comedy bumps up close to breaking down and failing a lot of the time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree with OP

He was an absolute blast to watch in Sonic and that movie was a legit comedic surprise and one of the best VG movies I have seen

Yeah its a low bar but Sonic cleared it better than Pokemon did

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny in films here and there, good at drama too but he can be very grating, seeing him on talk shows kinda unchecked highlights it unfortunately, he wants to entertain which is fair enough but he doesn't need it to be funny which I think is lost on him.