• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around bigotry
I havent got any problems with him.
The left needs pundits to be able to react against the right.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Bill Maher is not the "left" and he is shit at being that voice even when he wants to.

I remember his show years ago in the 90's and thought he was a blowhard more in love with his own hot takes than actually forming coherent critiques and stances(man if someone wanted to take the knife to him there were sooooo many bad takes in that time), how he has managed to keep that going without any improvement for nearly thirty years is a testament to the rot of the current American liberal pundit class.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around racism
Correct answer.

We can't be afraid of opinion or be afraid of getting offended. More important things to worry about.

Like why the fuck are we NOT talking about these wet markets? It is a huge problem.

Last edited:

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If this guy is left then I'm some sort of giant super communist and I'm not even a regular communist
www.msnbc.com

Bill Maher: This is the Democrats' race to lose

Host of 'Real Time with Bill Maher', Bill Maher, joins Morning Joe to discuss the 2020 Democratic field, why he says it's the Democrats' race to lose and winning platforms for the party. Maher also discusses the impact of political correctness and what on the left disturbs him.

"Bernie Sanders and the American Left is a cancer and more crazy and dangerous than Trump."

- Bill Maher, stalwart defender of the American Left.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a minute or two but he had a minor error, the Spanish Flu is named so because Spain was one of the few countries that honestly reported numbers because other countries were in the middle of WW1 and didn't want to further scare their populations (Spain was neutral). Its believed the 1918 flu aka Spanish Flu originated in USA so it really should have been called the Chicago Pandemic of 1918.

I didn't even realize his show was still on the air, so weird. Guess he must teleconference in everyone but it feels like arguing about trivial and unimportant topics on Zoom isn't very riveting.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
www.msnbc.com

Bill Maher: This is the Democrats' race to lose

Host of 'Real Time with Bill Maher', Bill Maher, joins Morning Joe to discuss the 2020 Democratic field, why he says it's the Democrats' race to lose and winning platforms for the party. Maher also discusses the impact of political correctness and what on the left disturbs him.

"Bernie Sanders and the American Left is a cancer and more crazy and dangerous than Trump."

- Bill Maher, stalwart defender of the American Left.

I'm confused, didn't he back Bernie in 2016 and basically begged people to vote for Hillary on his show every week because he knew Trump actually had a chance? I know Maher is a douche but this seems like a huge switch up for him. Must've finally gotten tired of the left telling him to not be a bigoted asshole.

At least when it came to his blindspots.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
If you saw this in a vacuum, you would see the merits of his argument, but anyone who saw Trump's press conferences and the insidious way he kept calling it the "Chinese virus" when everyone else was calling it the Coronavirus, knows exactly why Maher is wrong here.

One more note: You can be concerned about Wet Markets and still call Trump out for his racist dog whistling. Those thoughts are not mutually exclusive.

OP
OP
Godzilla's Left Toe
Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a minute or two but he had a minor error, the Spanish Flu is named so because Spain was one of the few countries that honestly reported numbers because other countries were in the middle of WW1 and didn't want to further scare their populations. Its believed the 1918 flu aka Spanish Flu originated in USA so it really should have been called the Chicago Pandemic of 1918.
Bill really isn't that smart just shows you what a Ivy League diploma is actually worth.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maher is the prototype of the new twitter anger grifters. He stands for nothing but only stands against things.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I guess we should keep calling AIDS Gay-Related Immune Deficiency because that was the convention at the time, and everyone knows you can't change conventions. It's not like they're just conventional or something like that.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Oh and he still has a job because he's good at what he does. He says things I agree with, things I disagree with and things I feel he's totally out of line on.. but that's ok. We can't be afraid or prevent people from voicing an opinion we disagree with out from saying things that offend.

I don't want to live in a society that is afraid of being offended. If he or anyone says something that upsets you or offends you or you feel is outrageous, then voice your opinion and discuss the subject and why he or that person is wrong. Choosing to instead believe someone shouldn't have a job is not the answer.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
The problem with naming it the Chinese virus is that people will get hurt or killed because of it. Yes, racists will always find ways to justify their racism, but that doesn't mean we rile up people and stoke their fears all while giving them a target to channel their anger.

Oct 30, 2017
His take about the flu is neither unique or unpopular. I don't agree with it. I don't see the need to try to rename it to vilify The Chinese government and the culture.

I've really been annoyed at Maher on other occasions.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Correct answer.

Can't be afraid of opinion and be afraid of getting offended. More important things to worry about.

Like why the fuck are we NOT talking about these wet markets?
No one is afraid of his opinion, just tired of it.

Plenty of people that could be offered a platform on a weekly basis that don't wrap their takes in the worst kind of both sides poisoning and reactionary water carrying for bad arguments/islamaphovbia/sexism/racism to demonstrate their bona fides to old white people that like to cherry pick his worst takes to defend their casual racism.

You could talk about wet markets without carrying water for Trump's blatant race-baiting attempt to make the Wuhan Flu a thing and claiming we should look past Trump's racism to do so. That it's the sect of liberals that should be shamed for pushing back, not the perpetuators of the racism.

That's not profound commentary, it's just de-prioritizing racism as a virtue signal to shit people that also de-prioritize social issues.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it probably is time to stop naming viruses after locations because why give xenophobes ammo? but he's right about the chinese government being taken to task on this. they probably could stamp out the wild animal market if they really wanted to and they absolutely should.

Last edited:

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Maher is the prototype of the new twitter anger grifters. He stands for nothing but only stands against things.
I'm guessing his audience is mostly older democrats, ones who actually vote, so he kinda fills their political entertainment niche until the next generation finally replaces him. I wouldn't say he's the Democratic flip side of Hannity exactly, but it's the same idea.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
then voice your opinion

Isn't that literally what we are doing, right now?

Isn't voicing the "opinion" that he shouldn't have a job spouting bullshit, when he has a constant history of spouting bullshit, a valid position to hold?

edit: also really sounds like you want to excuse his overall racist/sexist/transphobic comments and putting blame on the people affected by those words rather than the person saying them.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

He's a transphobic asshole who victim blamed people like me for Trump winning the election because he ignorantly asserted that trans people were being too loud about demanding our rights when it was the Republicans who had made our ability to go to the bathroom an issue when we had been going to the bathroom according to our gender for years and years.

He is also an ignorant Islamophobe.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018

Plenty of people that could be offered a platform on a weekly basis that don't wrap their takes in the worst kind of both sides poisoning and reactionary water carrying for bad arguments/islamaphovbia/sexism/racism to demonstrate their bona fides to old white people that like to cherry pick his worst takes to defend their casual racism.

You could talk about wet markets without carrying water for Trump's blatant race-baiting attempt to make the Wuhan Flu a thing and claiming we should look past Trump's racism to do so. That it's the sect of liberals that should be shamed for pushing back, not the perpetuators of the racism.

That's not profound commentary, it's just de-prioritizing racism as a virtue signal.
The funny thing here is that I agree with you. Trump does it because he is racist and in my opinion that's wrong and Trump is a piece of shit for doing it and trying to place blame elsewhere.

Maher, however, is simply expressing his opinion that naming a flu after where it originated is not in itself bad and we shouldn't be getting bent out of shape over it when we have other recent examples of this being done and many more important things to be concerned about.

Granted, I don't agree with Maher in this instance. But I understand why he is frustrated. Wet markets are a problem and it is scientifically the reason we have Covid-19 and other viruses. But there is very little discussion out there on this subject unless you seek it out.

Last edited:

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

You could talk about wet markets without carrying water for Trump's blatant race-baiting attempt to make the Wuhan Flu a thing and claiming we should look past Trump's racism to do so.
So you are implying that you just want to replace his airtime with someone more progressive?

I mean I agree with you in substance, lets just replace everything on television with Democracy Now! And lets give 10 hours a day to air Chomsky lectures. But this is not a great argument in form, you do understand this?

Oct 27, 2017
Maher is a libertarian pretending to be a liberal. He's not an ally. He might share some ideals, but ultimately, he's a selfish, asshole in it for himself.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Isn't that literally what we are doing, right now?

Isn't voicing the "opinion" that he shouldn't have a job spouting bullshit, when he has a constant history of spouting bullshit, a valid position to hold?
Are we? Someone expressing an opinion (or opinions in his case) you don't agree with is not reason enough to call for his firing.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
real tough pushback here...

giphy.gif

The right better look out with a leftist advocate this strong...

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I don't view this as him aligning with Trump so much as being part of a large sector of Americans (both sides, sorry) who now hear the term "wet market" and think that's the bat, pangolin, and other weird shit place. He's not wrong in pointing out the American public officials who have said all that needs to be shut down. We had a thread here already about what they actually are, and how misinformed Americans are on it.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Bill Maher has mocked sexual harrassment victims, defended Brett Kavanaugh, thrown the fried chicken epithet at a black guest, blamed Palestinians for the Israeli occupation, said it's OK to annex land you win in a war, mocked dead people for not being culturally significant enough, defended whitewashing of LGBT representation in biopics of famously gay people, given Milo a platform and gone full-on Islamophobic by comparing all Muslims to ISIS and saying they will kill you if you say the wrong thing.

Which part of that don't you have a problem with?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
it probably is time to stop naming viruses after locations because why give xenophobes ammo, but he's right about the chinese government being taken to task on this. they probably could stamp out the wild animal market if they really wanted to and they absolutely should.
Right, but that is not what this rant is about, it's attacking liberals for taking racism too seriously and using the wet markets as a bullet point to that argument. As if it's impossible to both criticize Trump's racism and wet markets.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The problem with naming it the Chinese virus is that people will get hurt or killed because of it. Yes, racists will always find ways to justify their racism, but that doesn't mean we rile up people and stoke their fears all while giving them a target to channel their anger.

It's also very clear that they can be emboldened at certain times, like with this current administration. It's no coincidence that hate crimes have increased so much these past few years. They know that with a president like Trump that it's their time now.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so tired of assholes like him who never visited China or even went to a 'wet market'. Spouting misinformation and vitriol racism...

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Are we? Someone expressing an opinion (or opinions on his case) you don't agree with is not reason enough to call for his firing.

Relabeling a racist position as an "opinion I don't agree with" is already shitty, but if you look at Maher's history of doing or saying shitty racist things, then yeah, you wonder why he continues to have a job.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see that Bill is still able to offer bad takes while confined.

Gotta stay consistent in these trying times lol.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Are we? Someone expressing an opinion (or opinions on his case) you don't agree with is not reason enough to call for his firing.
He's paid to be a comedic pundit on a network I pay to subscribe to, if judging him on his comedic punditry isn't how he should be judged, How should we?

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
The Spanish flu likely didn't even come from Spain. Could at least do research.

"It would be stupid to call it the Milan Virus because it also didn't come from Milan."

Then why call it the Spanish Flu?

This video also misses out on a lot of context, as well. If it wasn't for the fact that Trump wasn't weaponising the term to rile-up his base, then a location based name probably would be fine, but that isn't the case.