Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I'm just curious as to how you respond to toxicity from your own teammates if you are a competitive player in whatever game you play. I play rocket league and I'm "platinum" ranked in two game modes, which is about 3 or 4 tiers from the highest rank in the game, one tier above "gold". The players towards the later stages of gold are extremely toxic because they're trying to get into platinum rank and the players in platinum are barely, if at all better, than the players in gold rank but the toxicity is at its highest level there because everyone in platinum really thinks they're the shit, when they're not.

I have a "one mistake" rule, meaning that everyone is entitled to one mistake per game because shit happens. So if they make a mistake and use quick chat to say "sorry!", I'll say no problem. If they just repeatedly make mistakes and we're not playing well (down 3 goals) by the 3:30 mark, I usually call for a forfeit, because we're wasting each other's time. Other times I'll be the one that makes one mistake 30 seconds into the game and my teammate starts berating me in the chat while the game is 0-0 or 0-1and I'll "throw" the game because I don't have the energy to deal with that. Sometimes I just don't say a word and try to outplay them, but for the most part, I respond to toxic teammates by intentionally throwing a match and if they request a FF, I don't accept it and let them pay for their toxicity with their time.

What do you do to respond to toxic teammates in the games u play where communication is key?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Mute them, or in Siege wait until the last round and teamkill them.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So if I got this right, you have a rule where if someone makes too many mistakes, you decide to throw the match. If you make too many mistakes, you throw the match. If for some reason someone isn't fine with any of this, you throw the match.

And you're the one who complains about toxicity?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if it's over voice I don't know, I don't go in voice unless it's a premade of friends I know. In text, I report and block.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Either mute them or respond with even more toxicity and mess with them in the game. Depends on the game and mode. I was forged in MW2 and Halo 3 lobbies , nothing anyone says or does in a modern game will be on that level of toxicity. I actually have fun messing with people who start things like that

Id never start anything myself and definitely wouldn't sabotage the team. That'd just ruin the match for everyone. That's the worst thing you can do. You can't really get upset about people being toxic towards you if you do that lol

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Voice = Mute or ignore

Ingame Chat = mute or ignore unless they're completely wrong, then clap back

if they actively let me die or throw, its on - a competition to make us lose fastest

nowadays a game a lot less but if someone tries to flame me for a mistake i tell them straight up if they keep it up im walking away from my controls

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people don't know how to respond to toxicity without being toxic themselves.

1)ignore it and play your game it's just words
Or
2)mute them, all games have this option

If you're blaming your teammates for not climbing in ranked, you're probably not very good at the game and don't want to blame yourself or get better

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Going by your statement it sounds like you're just as toxic as the other players. I'll just mute them and play out the game/match and move on.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
You sound like a bit of a jerk op. "One screw up? Ok. More than that? WE SHUTTING THIS SHIT DOWN."

I put them on mute if they are raving or condescending assholes and try to find a better team mate or try to politely talk to them to figure out our best course of action to win and what went wrong.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I mute it. No time for that bullshit. Don't have many problems at least. Most people aren't too bad.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Holy shit man, reading this made me glad I play fighting games cause I have only me to blame.
And in 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 tourneys I would always cheer for and support my team mates, because we are a team. Cut the stupid blaming out.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
People like OP is the reason I create a private party chat when playing online. Its a game, people are not perfect.

Edit: with chat like RL, I just report them when it gets bad and just type reported in.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll either stay silent and help the team regardless or I'll stand up to the bully with some trash talk in exchange.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a "one mistake" rule, meaning that everyone is entitled to one mistake per game because shit happens. So if they make a mistake and use quick chat to say "sorry!", I'll say no problem. If they just repeatedly make mistakes and we're not playing well (down 3 goals) by the 3:30 mark, I usually call for a forfeit, because we're wasting each other's time. Other times I'll be the one that makes one mistake 30 seconds into the game and my teammate starts berating me in the chat while the game is 0-0 or 0-1and I'll "throw" the game because I don't have the energy to deal with that. Sometimes I just don't say a word and try to outplay them, but for the most part, I respond to toxic teammates by intentionally throwing a match and if they request a FF, I don't accept it and let them pay for their toxicity with their time.
You are toxic as fuck. At least with insults I can just mute and carry on. Can't do anything if some toxic sore lose is purposefully throwing the game.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Division 2 last weekend, one of the invaded missions. Potomac Exhibition Center I think. One of the other players had an open mic, and what had started as belching, farting, deathly coughing changed tack once an additional voice appeared who seemed to audibly agitated with the player, pitched voices, angry baltic/slavic sounds. Then she started speaking in English talking about urine samples. Kind of off-putting.

Anyway, I only played Rocket League once. I scored a goal immediately, then deleted the game as I would never achieve that glory again. I'm clearly not missing anything as it sounds as if everyone is competing to be asshole of the week.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Rocket League has some of the most toxic players ive ever had the misfortune of playing with. Maybe that's just because theres the chat readily available, but id say about 2 of every 5 games ill see people shitting on opponents or their own teammates...and forget about ranked, one mistake? Immediate requests to forfeit...i wish I could see these guys in real life and just ask what the fuck is wrong with you?

Thread title should be changed to "How do you deal with toxic players like me"?

Last edited:

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
So if I got this right, you have a rule where if someone makes too many mistakes, you decide to throw the match. If you make too many mistakes, you throw the match. If for some reason someone isn't fine with any of this, you throw the match.

Yeah wtf? Only game I play in a ranked mode is heroes of the Storm these days, but I never quit trying, even if we're getting stomped. OP sounds like he is his own biggest problem.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
If somebody crosses a line into personal insults then the game is over for me. I'll explain to the non-toxic teammates I'm not going to continue after whats happened and wait out the clock or take a stroll around the map.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Dude what. You seem like pretty toxic with all that throwing tbh.

But to answer the question, I'm easily angered by dickish behaviour. I have very little tolerance for toxicity, so I most often call them out on their behaviour in less than polite manner. I know it's not really the right way to respond with more "toxicity", but I can't help it because it just really pisses me off to see people flame or otherwise dick around. It's often detrimental to my own perfomance too, which sucks. But I still try to win, because I play to win and my other teammates don't deserve another asshole in their team throwing the game. It's enough they have to deal with the one idiot already.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're only platinum ranked and you act like that op? Sheesh, at that skill level mistakes are still very common so your 1 mistake rule is super harsh. Don't take Rocket League so seriously until you actually get good enough for it to matter. Slum around in platinum like the rest of us and just have a good time with it. I always say the sloppier the match the better.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
someone making mistakes (it's platinum lol) and not saying sorry is not being toxic, probably they were smart enough to disable the text chat.
OP should take two steps back and invest in a mirror.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
"lol chill out man" or something similar normally works for me. Or making strategic calls and ignoring the negativity.

Stay positive, try to keep people focused on the game. Most people understand that raging won't actually help. You just need to remind them.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its Rocket League. I have over 2000 hours on this damn game and seriously, its very rare you find a match of people just looking to play and have fun. Everyone is the best at this game in their head and if they're losing its everyone's fault but theirs.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, throwing because of one bad teammate is toxic behavior too. Don't do that shit. Just mute them if they're on voice chat, and report them if you have the option.

I try to keep a positive attitude and calm people down except when those teammates start spewing vile, hateful shit. Then I mute, block, report, and in Overwatch, avoid those players. I still try my best, but if it's clear that there's no salvaging the match, I just focus on learning what I can with my own play.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One mistake rule? Wat? Shit happens, unless it is obvious they are throwing a game, cut people some slack, its just a game.

Oct 25, 2017
People throwing games is actually the worst. I would rather have them ragequit, atleast that's not as much of a time waste. When people suck I can still try, or maybe experiment a little.

So yeah, you (OP) are worse than your teammates with their "mistakes".

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
I pray I never get cursed with being on your team, OP. You're very clearly the problem.

Mute people, it's not hard. Throwing a game is much, much worse. And you seem to throw it at the drop of a hat.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably mute and report OP pretty quick, honestly. Worst type of teammate. When a community hits critical mass with these exact sorts of players where almost every game gets thrown because they can't handle any form of pressure I usually just uninstall and quit the game entirely.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Most of the time I'll just accept it and move on from there. It's the culture right now. No point in fighting it.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
If a single individual is being toxic, I'll mute them, continue playing and report them after the game...

If there are several people and it's affecting the game and my enjoyment (outside of just muting them) then I'll just start a surrender vote and hope I can move on to the next game rather than waste my time. Again will report anyone involved after the match.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

shyamalan.jpg

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just ignore people who yell at me, or mute them if I have the option. Competitive games are fun and all, and I totally get being caught up in the emotions of a match. That doesnt mean I have listen to your crap though. It's not like we are a professional team playing for money lol.

Last edited: