How do you play the Hitman games?

• Beat the game, then replay missions

Votes: 254 60.6%
  • Replay missions thoroughly as you beat the game

Votes: 165 39.4%

• Total voters

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I still play them as if the games where episodic like the first season was. I keep playing the same level over and over increasing my mastery of them, only moving onto the next when I've at least done all the main ways of pulling off the assassination and have unlocked all the starting points.

If I played straight through I wouldn't learn the levels so well for replay, and I have to replay because you can miss so much if you only do the mission one way. Whole areas could be skipped.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I get a little too caught up on beating levels Suit Only and/or Silent Assassin so I don't experiment with different costumes as much as I'd like.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Play them until I get the marker and move on to the next one.

I usually take forever trying to figure out how things move and react to one another.

Though, I noticed it's really easy to take advantage of the NPCs without people noticing and makes the game not as fun.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone new to the series who bounced off it twice before really hard - I have been enjoying going through the opportunities. It helps me get a sense of what is possible in the sandbox, how the AI works , plus gives me little vignettes of backstory etc... there is still room for improvising as you go, and it has been a nice onboarding experience. Once I am done with Hitman 3 on Gamepass next week - I think I will go back and replay all the missions and just muck around.

Jul 1, 2020
Mastering a level is the most fun part of the game. It's also great to do that because you can get better stuff to use in later levels you haven't played yet.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time I'll replay a mission a couple times then move on.

But later I'm a dogged completionist. I have 100% on Hitman 1 and 2, and I regret nothing. The challenges are all just so fun to orchestrate. I haven't gotten around to doing 100% on Hitman 3 yet but I certainly will at some point.

I do really feel that anyone who plays Hitman as a one-and-done type experience is absolutely missing out, not just on the actual content, but on the essence of the game itself. They are designed to be explored in layers.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I played the levels through once for the story, with mission markers off to try and organically find a creative story kill, then replayed them all endlessly once I wrapped the story

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I usually did a couple story missions in each map before moving on to the next one, then went back to finish what I had left to do.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Does shamelessly savescumming count as replaying a mission? If so, then yeah, I replay the missions all the time.

If not, I tend to play each mission only once.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing them, they're just not for me. I really love stealth games but in these games i felt like i was missing a ton of the game by playing pure stealth, and if i wanted to just explore the games were still punishing me so i just wasn't having a lot of fun.

Dec 29, 2017
1 . Beat the game.

2. Replay missions trying to do challenges that I think look like fun.

3. Replay the missions going for Silent Assassin Suit Only.

4. Replay the missions going for Silent Assassin Suit Only on Master difficulty.

5. Kill everyone challenges.

6. Jump into Featured Contracts and other contracts.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Beat the game, get a feel of the missions and replay missions depending on how I feel.
I may be in the mood for Paris one day, and Sapienza the other. Am I in the mood for indoors/outdoors, small/large, sunny/dreary, story-driven/sniper, etc... I don't really chase challenges.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I'll play each map in turn, and if I enjoy the map, I'll replay it a few more times to see the various different ways that you can reach your objectives. Then once I finish the campaign, I'll go back and meticulously try to get all the achievements / challenges / whatever they're called in each map. It's one of those few games where I think the achievements actually enhance the enjoyment of the game due to the way the challenges are phrased, as they are vague enough to intrigue you to find out more. Kill a man with a golf ball? Shoot a plane down with a cannon? Hell yes I want to figure out how to do that!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
When I FIRST started playing, I would follow hints to elaborate kills, but found the game was holding my hand too much. Later on, I would just follow a hint only if I found it on my own, but otherwise would find weird and inventive opportunities to kill my targets. I usually find a single method that works, and then move on to the next level. I've been meaning to go back and and try a bunch of different kills.

For the most part, I abuse the disguise system, and choose garrote wire as what I'll take into the mission. ONCE in a while I'll take a silenced pistol, but 9 out of 10 times I take garrote only.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
beat the game, don't even replay the missions much.
kinda feel like im not getting my money's worth doing this, but don't really like repeating stuff.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I played the main campaign from beginning to end, nothing extra. I played the trilogy all at once so when I was done with Hitman 3, I was already burned out on the series.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I got mastery of two locations/missions in the first game and got burned out on the whole series.

Phoenix4

Oct 28, 2017
100% the first mission (as it's usually on a smaller map), then complete the rest of the missions once or twice

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the mission in silent assassin, then the next one.
after all the missions are done I replay the first one until max mastery, final playthrough of the mission with silent assassin master mode
then the next one
after the last one I consider the game done, I don't bother with achievements

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
The new games are really all about replaying the missions.

First run is just exploring + improv, turn the guides off and don't do the mission stories. Second is going for SASO or doing challenges. After that it's just other challenges for mastery or goofing around.

There's like so much content if you want to go full completionist in these games it's kind of nuts.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I play through each level once to complete the story. I then do each level to mastery level 10 while restricting myself from using lockpicks or electronic door hackers. I also tend to try do challenges without using lockpicks etc either. Tbh I like entering a level with nothing but a sniper in a briefcase most of the time and often spend an hour just exploring often even on replays as I don't look stuff up at all with this game.

I've done virtually everything apart from a few challenges in the final full level in H3 at this point, other than SASO which is last on my list. The new game modes should hopefully give it a bit more lifespan for me as its been shelved for a while. I don't wanna reach the point of actually running out of stuff to do.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
For 2 and 3 my approach was to limit myself to one location per day; that way I felt I wasn't rushing along too much. Then I go back for other objectives, but mostly so I can open up new options for contracts mode, which is where I spend the bulk of my time.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I dont, they're too free form for me. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a game most of the time

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I like to master every level, but not necessarily 100 % them. With Hitman 2016, the episodic releases made me spend much more time with every level, so I kept with that in later releases.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've only played hitman 1 but I plan on continually running through the story but playing it different each time.

Oct 27, 2017
First time through, turn off all story hints. Play each level once.

Once the game is finished, go back and try to find some of the interesting things I can find.

Then eventually turn on story guides and try to fill in the challenges I haven't done.

Crazy amount of content to explore.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Run through them then replay them when the "season" is complete. Granted my experience was Hitman 2 first, then Hitman 1 and finally Hitman 3.

I try to stick to the optimal playstyle (silent assassin, suit only) but sometimes the faster sloppy path works best. I recently Silent Assassined my way through Colorado/Freedom Fighters (used a youtube guide for better timing with certain actions) where previously I would Rambo my way through (kill a few to get detected, hide and mow down more as they chase after me).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I play them through and just go off and do the story missions on each level , then come back and go for all the challenges and feats for the mastery

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
My game time is usually spent trying to stuff 30 bodies into one bathroom whilst dispatching each guard/worker/passerby that keeps coming in to investigate the toilet I broke and can't turn off, as I frantically try to find the good disguise I dropped on the floor and accidentally replaced with an ill fitting Kimono.

How do I play them? Poorly. Poorly is the answer. I basically play Agent 47 as if he was Austin Powers.

I don't know, I have only played Absolution fully and half of Hitman 1 (the new one). I do the mission, try and do as much side stuff as I can in one go, kill the targets and leave. I find aspects of them frustrating enough to not want to go back and replay once I'm done

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I replay levels too many times. I finished the first level of Hitman 3 in a bunch of different ways and never even tried the second mission lol.

I'll get back to it, but I get too comfortable with the map and curious about what I can do. Then get overwhelmed when I start a new level. Its a ridiculous problem but I always love my time with the game.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Kirk Hamilton wrote up the best way to play Hitman imo:
kotaku.com

Hitman 2016 Taught Me A Better Way To Play Hitman 2

Usually when I play a single-player game, I go through it from start to finish. I play each new level after the last one, until I stop playing or get to the end. That’s not how I played 2016’s excellent episodic Hitman, however, and it’s not how I’m playing its fantastic new sequel.
kotaku.com

Hitman Season One: The Kotaku Review

It’s the middle of the day, and I’ve spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out how to kill this stupid cameraman. You’d think it would be easy, but I have to make it look like an accident and I can’t harm the newswoman he’s working with. Much harder than it sounds.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Until H3, I just played the campaign and only went the extra mile in Sapienza, because that location is so awesome.

With H3 I started going serious, maxed out every single location of the triology (reaching Lv. 20, incl. every of the classics challenges), and now I'm just 4-5 escalation missions away from completing every single one (Online Level now ~480).

So basivally went from "where does a certain Era mod get so many points?!" to beating him regularly in the leaderbord without even trying :P.

I also play the elusive targets. What I barely do however are the Sniper missions, they make fun on your 1st 1-3 runs but maxing them out feels like an ordeal.