• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?!?!

• I enjoy Western-style RPG turn-based gaming (e.g. XCOM, Mario and Rabbids)

Votes: 91 8.6%
  • I enjoy Eastern-style RPG turn-based gaming (e.g. Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest series)

Votes: 160 15.1%
  • I enjoy turn-based games of all types

Votes: 640 60.5%
  • I don't enjoy turn-based gaming at all

Votes: 102 9.6%
  • These choices were too broad! I've got a complex opinion outside of them.

Votes: 64 6.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the whole Yakuza 7 kerfuffle and its change from an ARPG-ish brawler (hey, it transcends genres, it's Yakuza) to a turn-based approach, I thought that it would be interesting to see what people at this site think more generally about turn-based gaming and what types of turn-based gaming that they do (or don't) enjoy.

The choices that I've given in this poll are really broad, I know, and so if you have some specific examples of games outside of these really broad choices that you enjoy, you should totally talk about them.

For me, my feelings about turn-based gaming can be encapsulated, strangely enough, by my feelings on South Park: The Stick of Truth and its direct sequel, South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

South Park as a turn-based RPG (Stick of Truth):

5-06005.jpg

For me, the Eastern style of turn-based gaming typically presents as two groups of characters lined up on opposing sides of the screens, with each character attacking in a certain turn order that might be changed by priority stats and items that change those stats, if the game has them.

As a big fan of plenty of Obsidian's games, I was pretty shocked at how much I hated Stick of Truth. I only bought it, in fairness, because it was given away for free with a copy of TFBW, and so I ended up getting two games for twenty-five dollars (game prices are really great for consumers right now, but that's another thread). I did know that it was what we'd traditionally think of as JRPG-like in its battle style, but I downloaded it and gave it a shot...

...and I genuinely hated the gameplay in this game. I personally find it pretty rote, even on higher levels of enemy competence. I found myself checked out of the battle system halfway through, only having to even remotely pay attention to time my specials properly. In fact, I disliked the game so much that I didn't even bother to fire up TFBW for about four or five months after struggling through this game. I would argue that it's Obsidian's worst-ever release by a long, long, LOOOOOOONG way.

South Park as a turn-based RPG (The Fractured But Whole):

south-park-ps4-combat.jpg

When I did finally play TFBW, I enjoyed it. Part of that is because the try-hard humor in this one is Actually Pretty Funny in spots unlike the first game (Wendy coming up with the superhero name of Call Girl because she uses cell phones as her supergadgets is the sort of adorably clueless thing that an innocent young kid would do, for example).

The other thing, though, is that the gameplay is much better. It's got some light Western SRPG trappings, nothing too complex, but something that's more engaging and that forced me to consider where I was positioning my characters and sometimes whether I'd be willing to accept the trade-off of a successful attack for being in danger of taking damage in a way that SoT never got close to doing. I'd argue that Ubi San Francisco actually saved the series for me and made me interested in a third game that follows up on this sort of turn-based gaming.

I used these games as examples to talk through my own opinion- that turn-based gaming is great when movement around a terrain is involved and terrible when it isn't - and to give an example of what, I think, people generally think of when they hear the words "turn-based gaming" in a broad sense.

But now I ask you: What are your thoughts on turn-based gaming in general, and what aspects or types of turn-based gaming that I missed (like for example, the turn-based games that include attack timers rather than a more static attack order, like Grandia or Child of Light) do you also enjoy or not enjoy?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I have zero issues with turn-based battle systems/games, at least as long as i like the individual battle system in question. Some of my favorite games ever like Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter are turn-based.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It's the finest of gaming art. A meal served by a chef.

Action games are the McDonald's of gaming.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A well done turn based combat to me is a killer feature that could make me play any kind of game. I love it more than real time combat.

The truth is a good turn based combat requires a much better development team than a good real time combat. It's damn hard to make it real good.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
They are ok and have their place, but I prefer more action-oriented combat myself personally. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy turn based combat though.

As for turn based combat, I prefer something that is more dynamic and has various time based element in it.
For example, I am not really a huge fan of FFX's turn based combat, but I really like ATB related combat like FFX-2 or XIII trilogy.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really enjoy turn-based combat. I tend to prefer turn-based combat in JRPGs - even when it's as simple as something like Stick of Truth (aka Paper Mario) and I love a good turn-based strategy game ala X-COM, FFT, and FE etc.

I don't think I'd want turn-based combat to be the norm but I think it should always have a healthy presence in games.

Never got around to picking up Fractured But Whole but I loved Stick of Truth (and thought it was funny too, I have my doubts about FBW having some higher level of comedy than the original)

Nov 23, 2017
I find it funny that people are mad at Sega for both making a JRPG series into an action game and an action game series into a JRPG.

Why don't those fans just swap franchises?

/s

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I find it fun, but I also find it more relaxing and also more accessible. I was able to ease my wife into gaming years ago by letting her take a crack at JRPGs. There's something very gratifying about being able to take on a tough fight, and think and strategize your way through it, rather than give up because you don't have the reflexes. It's still "Git Gud," but dependent on you making smart choices, not having warp speed hand/eye coordination.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Not really fan of Xcom, but the only reason i tryed it was because it was turn based. Im a fan of most turn based games, no matter if they are eastern or western but really love turn based JRPGs and my heart hurts everytime i see a JRPG ditching turn based combat in favour of button mashing action combat.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely turns me off. It's the one reason I'havent bought otherwise interesting looking games like Persona 5 and Nino Kuni 1. Such a joyless chore.

Thank goodness for all the action rpgs releasing next year.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer action oriented combat systems but enjoy turn-based still especially if it's really well implemented.

Octopath's for example, is straight sublime. Probably the best turn-based system I've used. XCOM's style is great as well.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it in the Fallout games and LISA. That's about it. Oh, and Divinity Original Sin. That was good. Probably the best. I should finish that game. Then play the second one. Would have to start over though. Actually I'm not because I don't wanna fight that giant robot again. Took forever. Terrible it was.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I love it. Sure, I like action-oriented games, too, but I'm all for turn-based games.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with most systems if the game is adequately balanced around it but turn based > RTwP easily. RTwP just feels like mostly managing AI in the worst possible way or just devolves into turn based anyway.

It's more of a toss up with JRPGs. It's incredibly easy to fuck up turn based combat, making tons of elaborate animations that slow down the battles or not making them demanding enough to require more than basic attack and heal. Many games suffer from style over substance in that regard.

One overriding rule is that I always want control over my party members instead of relying on AI and turn based makes that possible without being cumbersome.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I am more into turn based combat (no movement) like chrono trigger than say turn based combat with also grid movement. But I am trying to give them more of a chance. Last I played was some of Torment: Tides of Numenera. (i think that had grid based combat movement from what I remember, may be wrong). The book long speeches was a little much but I enjoyed the gameplay. Played that one Duck turned based xcom type game recently too. It was a little too hard for my tastes. And Wasteland 2 ehh, was a little clunky.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually love it but today I hate it. What happened to Yakuza pissed me off to no end.

God, I gotta go to sleep because I can see my self getting more pissed off about it the more I think about what happened.

Oct 27, 2017
I like them a lot, but, many games, and I mean a lot, have this problem where what you see at the beginning of the game, is what you'll be playing throughout the entirety of it. No change, no customization, just stagnation.

Good turn-based games like Persona, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy/Bravely, and the Trails series are able to avoid that. Can't think of any others that don't have these issues, honestly why it's so hard for me to go back and play various PS1/PS2 classics people are always talking about.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
honestly, since FFXII, turn based is kinda of a waste of time, unless it's reeeeeally hard and tactical. (see, destiny original sins series, or Xcom like series)
Gambits like systems do free brain time to focus on more important or meaningful things, (party optimisations, synergies and such).
Any turn based systems where "ho you are poisoned use a poison cure spell thing","ho you HP is below 50%, use a heal base spell," all this shit is just insulting at this point, let me macro this shit once and then forget about it, or, focus on more important things !
If 90% of what you do can be solved by a 5 lines gambit script... you were not really playing the game anyway, you are barely a bot.

as an example : into the breach is a good turn based game, bacause it REQUIRES brain cells and thinking beyond several turns.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Turn-based and Action games work or do not depending on how they're implemented. I've played bad turn based games, I've played bad action games, and I attribute nor to west or east to do either of them better or worse than the other.

That's why I voted I enjoy all of them, since legit my personal list for best turn-based games isn't region specific given it contains eastern-style RPG games like Pokémon and Shin Megami Tensei and western-style RPG games like XCOM 2 and Divinity: Original Sin 2.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They are great but if changing genre from action to more turn based, I can understand why people would be upset cause of that

Oct 27, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga is the only turn based game I've ever finished.

I can tolerate turn based combat systems in the early stages but usually something happens where I've missed some element or haven't levelled up enough. Then I get stuck and frustrated. Then I stop playing.

Skies of Arcadia and Lost Odyssey are my failures. Gave them a full effort but gave up on disc 2 of List Odyssey and got to near the end of disc 1 on Skies. I would have stopped playing FFVII on Switch if it weren't for the cheats to brute force the combat.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
If it's done well, it is great. If it isn't, it is a slog.

When you can win just by picking attack 98% of the time, I'd rather it be an action game.

I like the ones that make me think. Especially some SRPGs.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're dull and outdated, and they don't challenge or engage me in the way real-time combat does.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first experience was FF7, and that was enough to never play a game with that shit again. It's the most boring gameplay type I've ever experienced. That's why a majority of Japanese games do nothing for me.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I really love turn-based games of any kind. RPGs/JRPGs are tied with fighting games for my favourite genres of all time

I just don't want yakuza being one

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some of my favorite games of all time use turned based systems. Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, and Grandia.

There is nothing inherently wrong with turn based mechanics, despite some people believe that turn based mechanics are an archaic design mechanic because of technological limitations, which in itself is bullshit.

Some of the earliest Action RPGs notably Dragon Slayer and even Tower of Druaga back in 1984 predate Dragon Quest (the first known turn based console RPG) by two years. So I feel it's a fair point to be made that developers will design a game having an action or turn based combat system is a deliberate decision, especially for their design goal for the game in terms of how combat is handled.

I mean even Ys (June 1987) being one of the earliest Action RPG systems is just as old if not older than some long time running turn based / semi-real time RPGs such as Final Fantasy (December 1987)

Throwaway terms like "outdated" or "archaic" has absolutely nothing to do with it. Don't make excuses for turn based mechanics if you don't like them considering the fact there are games with action combat systems such as my examples above are just as "outdated" and "archaic" as well.

It has entirely do with it how it's implemented and their execution. Some action RPGs are better than others, the same applies for some turn based RPGs being better.

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I will never have the experience of controlling multiple characters in an action based game, so turn based stuff will never get old. Also, sometimes i want to relax.

I like turn based and action stuff in the same level. Also love when devs try to mix them.

A well done turn based combat to me is a killer feature that could make me play any kind of game. I love it more than real time combat.

The truth is a good turn based combat requires a much better development team than a good real time combat. It's damn hard to make it real good.

I think it's the opposite, actually.

Action combat in games often feels mediocre and meh if it's not on the same level of a From/Platinum game. It seems a lot more complex to make it feel really good, unless of course there's a bigger focus on platforming, puzzles, etc.

While turn based games can be more simple/cheap and still be fun enough, provided the pacing is good and the balancing well done.

It's definitely easier to make a good turn based combat with lower budget.

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I love 'em. And it should be properly turn based, too, none of this real time with pause stuff, it's my turn and I can take my time to do my thing. ATB can come along because it has a Wait mode.

I'll admit it's not for every type of game, a turn based racing game would be odd, but for tactical games, it's easily my preferred style. Currently playing Fire Emblem Three Houses and it's turn based tactical bliss. XCOM is a favorite, too, and I liked where Valkyria Chronicles was going with it, too.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure what category Darkest Dungeon and Battle Brothers would fit into, but I love the combat in both (apart from some extreme cases of RNG). Generally, though, I prefer real-time action.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Mario+Rabbids since the thread about the sale today. Yes I enjoy turn based games. In fact, this might be my favorite Switch game I've tried thus far.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's great when the game was turn based from the start. And the game is inherently tactical it works better for a large part.

In XCOM for example you're controling a team, and having it turn based represents giving complicated orders and commands better than doing so via button prompts in real time. You as the character of the commander aren't on the battlefield yourself.

But if a game series already has a real time combat system you're essentially massively downgrading a games combat system by making it turn based. You're taking away a lot of dynamic elements and the general feel/gameplay mechanics of the combat.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I love the idea of them and try most but I also admit that I'm very bad with them. I can't prioritize for shit and my ability to micro manage is equally awful.