• I liked the movie, but not him. And I'm not afraid to say it

Votes: 17 2.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Star-Wars-Qui-Gon-Jinn-Returning-Liam-Neeson.jpg

Obi-wan's mentor, a progressive Jedi Knight and Master, and stars solely in one of the worst regarded films in the series.

tenor.gif

I see only love for this character, which contrasts immensely with the rest of The Phantom Menace. Liam Neeson's portrayal of a Jedi wiser than his peers is exactly what I envisioned old school Jedi being like when I was watching the original films. His duel with Darth Maul is legendary (that scene where he's meditating as the door is waiting to open is *chef's kiss* levels of good). He has some of the best music in film to accompany his biggest moment in Duel of the Fates.

Considering TPP is mostly hated on, do you like Qui-Gon? Do you like him in a vacuum or do you think he slightly redeems the film?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Great character, unfortunately short character arc/presence in the overall story especially one who found out how to communicate from the after life.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen this movie tens of times but had to take a second to remind myself who this is. Non-character, no personality.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just seems like a less charismatic version of Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Cool character. Would love a cartoon of his and Obi-Wan's pre-TPM adventures.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He had a green lightsaber so he was aight. Not cool how he's so willing to rip a kid away from his mom, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
He served as the "Gandalf" of the prequels. A wise old person who have lived this world and can explain it to the audience.

Less effective than Gandalf was in LotR, but overall, he's a fine character.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Like, part of his name rhymes with "gin", so he must be drunk all the time, amirite???

Cool joke, much funny.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Dude is super underappreciated for what he did.
-Found Anakin and saw his potential, setting the next 50 years in motion basically.
-Has a full working knowledge of "the living force" which no current Jedi knew or cared to know about at the time. That helped him figure out how to speak from beyond among a bunch of other things.
-Showed actual Jedi values instead of the arrogance of the then-current council.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I like him, but I think it's mostly that there isn't anything in his character that I specifically object to, and my general fondness for Liam Neeson does the heavy lifting from there.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
He is great.
Considering TPP is mostly hated on, do you like Qui-Gon? Do you like him in a vacuum or do you think he slightly redeems the film?
I don't think that TPP is "mostly hated on". It's just as divisive as the other sequels, spin-offs and prequels. Star Wars fanbase is really ... "special". I think both Attack of the Clones and Rise of Skywalker and maybe even The Last Jedi are more "hated" these days ...

It's also funny that Qui-Gonn probably isn't even the most popular Star Wars character that was introduced with TPP. Darth Maul seems super-popular and we will probably see him in one of the upcoming life-action series.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being something of a pariah among the Jedi, he was basically who they should have strived to be more like and it says a lot that his death is a catalyst for basically everything that happens next.

It's a shame we can't get more stories of him, Obi-Wan and Anakin together. There's a huge amount of potential for stories where Qui-Gon is like a father to those two, teaching them and guiding them and building the foundations of the relationship that would end with Obi-Wan and Anakin on opposite sides.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Cool character. I wish he made it to Episode II, died in that movie and that's what set Anakin on his path to the dark side.

It would have been such a better story.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't he free Anakin's mom?
Cuz he's still a jerk. Just not as bad a jerk as the rest of the hearts of stone motherfuckers on the council.

Cool character. I wish he made it to Episode II, died in that movie and that's what set Anakin on his path to the dark side.

What sets him on the path is his mom getting got. All Qui Gon had to do was say "sure, one more won't hurt".

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Qui Gon is a bad and virtually pointless character who actively hurt the franchise just by existing in it because he basically took stuff that would have been important for Obi Wan's development, all in the name of just having an Obi Wan analog for Obi Wan. It is blatantly obvious that Lucas even realized this by AotC because both that and RotS go out of their way to find dumb reasons to justify his existence.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Despite being something of a pariah among the Jedi, he was basically who they should have strived to be more like and it says a lot that his death is a catalyst for basically everything that happens next.

It's a shame we can't get more stories of him, Obi-Wan and Anakin together. There's a huge amount of potential for stories where Qui-Gon is like a father to those two, teaching them and guiding them and building the foundations of the relationship that would end with Obi-Wan and Anakin on opposite sides.

The most recent book was pretty good about exploring the relationship between Dooku, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
His duel with Darth Maul is legendary (that scene where he's meditating as the door is waiting to open is *chef's kiss* levels of good).

I do like the character. If he wasn't killed, Anakin probably wouldn't have been so easily manipulated. The Clone Wars show does a lot of good at elevating all the characters.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Mostly forgettable character. I think Liam Neeson did an alright performance with the material, but much like the rest of the prequels, the dialogue lends itself to wooden performances. He really only stands out in the prequels because he wasn't necessarily bad, in a series of films with a lot of bad characters.

I believe the original drafts had much of what Qui Gon did assigned to Obi Wan Kenobi (removing the Qui Gon character) and that would have been a much more compelling direction to go. Splitting the role into two characters does nothing for the film and makes Obi Wan a secondary character for much of the Phantom Menace. That time could have been better used establishing that bond between Obi Wan and Anakin. Instead, we got the animated Clone Wars to do much of the heavy lifting in that regard.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Cuz he's still a jerk. Just not as bad a jerk as the rest of the hearts of stone motherfuckers on the council.

What sets him on the path is his mom getting got. All Qui Gon had to do was say "sure, one more won't hurt".
Oh you're right. Totally forgot about that...I just remember hating Attack of the Clones...I think I've seen it twice since it's come out (including its theatrical run).

I was thinking it was Padmé. Whoops!

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
He nailed what my original vision of a Jedi was from the OT. Shame he had to go out like a chump in one bad movie.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
The greatest fucker in the galaxy. Hopefully he shows up somehow in the Kenobi show. On a perfect world, we'd get a buddy cop jedi show with him and Windu on Coruscant, but oh well.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF at those poll options? Where's "he's boring as shit and his movie sucks ass too"?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't he free Anakin's mom?
But can't be bothered to free slaves lol

The crazy thing is he could've still freed her and have AOTC play out just the same. She's freed, stays on Tatooine, marries the dude, gets captured by Sand People, dies. I mean, AOTC states her freedom was eventually bought so it really didn't make a difference to leave her a slave at the end of TPM other than making Qui-Gonn seem like a shithead.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only experience with Star Wars is Lego Star Wars and I always felt bad after his fight with Darth Maul so I guess I'm a fan of him.
Pretty coolio name as well.

Oct 27, 2017
the movie does a poor job at establishing a long friendship between obi-wan and this dude. in fact the movie presents the exact opposite kind of relationship. i don't know if we're meant to draw parallels between qui-gon and old ben kenobi (with regard to using the jedi mind trick) but it's really badly done. also obi-wan in the prequels does not take anything from qui-gon, doesn't learn anything from him. his death is meaningless to obi-wan's growth beyond simply taking anakin as a trainee.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
He fucking sucks and the rest of the expanded universe tries its damnedest to pretend like he doesn't suck but it fails to actually make him not suck.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate Neeson's sincerity in the role. He elevates the movie and I think Quigon is a great character.

Dec 31, 2017
Cool concept but he really didn't get so fleshed out - thought his death was kind of unnecessary. Could have kept both him and Maul into the 2nd movie.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
He had a green lightsaber so he was aight. Not cool how he's so willing to rip a kid away from his mom, though.
That's not what happened. He tried to free the mother as well. Anakin was a slave and at least he got him out of slavery. Even going against the council to train him to be a Jedi if need be.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I like that he's portrayed more as a gray jedi and that he probably would've done a good job with Anakin.

He's pretty good in the fiction too!

919Z+udTaLL.jpg

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what happened. He tried to free the mother as well. Anakin was a slave and at least he got him out of slavery. Even going against the council to train him to be a Jedi if need be.

He coulda made it happen. Don't let him off the hook!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
He's just kinda boring. He's the beginning of making jedi into boring, old weirdos. Obi-wan was just like that because he was living alone in the desert for decades.

JackRandom

Oct 26, 2017
Neeson is great and all but Qui Gon really doesnt need to exist, this character should have just been Obi-Wan Kenobi.