• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What does metal have to do with slow aging though. That would feel like too big of an asspull imo.
Because his power is over magnetism, not metal. You could have him manipulate the metals in his body to do something funky that slows his aging.

Also I agree. The takes where people think Mags should just no longer be Jewish and be subbed with another oppressed group are super bizarre

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if we merge all the suggestions, might as well make him a former Black slave who survived slavery in the US. He's like 200 years old but has very slow ageing.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
You have to keep the Holocaust part. If you don't, there's no point.

You either A. Have him slowly age as part of his mutation which is like, not at all complex and the easiest option

B. Have hydra put him on ice, gets out, Xavier uses his powers to try to heal his mind and have them be at peace with one another. Then the movie opens up with dodc killing some mutant kids, and the x-men were too late to stop it. Fully radicalizing Magneto for the movie.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
A slow aging secondary power would work because it doesn't really make him any more powerful, and it's not like it totally upends what makes Magneto what he is.

The most it gives him is an advantage in accumulated knowledge over time, but he's already depicted as a genius in multiple disciplines anyway (like a hundred other characters). If anything it actually gives him a good reason for being that erudite. It's not like he really has to have a healing factor alongside it or something like that, since they can easily come up with any other explanation.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'll echo the sentiment that he should age slower. Multiverse stuff just overcomplicates things.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I get that, but Prof. X was a variant but a version that was recognizable for meta reasons. If the "main" version is going to unrecognizable (i.e. not Patrick Stewart) then Magneto should be also.
I really DGAF lol, I just like arguing about the Multiverse with people who don't like it even though its a cornerstone of all Marvel media.
I see what you are saying but I think that sort of disproves your entire point. Xavier showing up in MoM was a big deal to the audience because they knew the actor.

A whole new Magento and Xavier from an alternate reality wouldn't have to same impact if just Planted in the MCU.

And in regards to the bolded. As a Marvel fan for 30+ years I don't get where you've gotten that idea.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
If Wanda ever rerurna they should just do the House of M storyline and introduce him there. There's no need to think of his age since technicaly ww2 could have happened in a different time frame on that timeline

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
So if we merge all the suggestions, might as well make him a former Black slave who survived slavery in the US. He's like 200 years old but has very slow ageing.
We can go back even further. He could be a Jewish slave during the time of the pharaohs. You know who was also there? APOCALYPSE. ALSO KANG.

I would be surprised if this wasn't already a storyline somewhere in the Marvel canon.

GoGo Nabrai

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2022
Magneto is a South African apartheid survivor who meets Xavier while doing charity work in Isreal.

Sep 2, 2018
I see what you are saying but I think that sort of disproves your entire point. Xavier showing up in MoM was a big deal to the audience because they knew the actor.

A whole new Magento and Xavier from an alternate reality wouldn't have to same impact if just Planted in the MCU.

And in regards to the bolded. As a Marvel fan for 30+ years I don't get where you've gotten that idea.
I don't want a version of Magneto from the multiverse either, but the other origin stories people are giving aren't any better. Another frozen Hydra super soldier? Nah, hard pass on that. Slow aging would be ok, but it still doesn't explain where the hell he's been the last 60+ years.

Rito

Sep 5, 2019
Strange is probably going to search his universe's Charles Xavier for some reason. The Xavier from the main universe will reveal he's been hiding all mutant activity in the world and locked Magneto and some mutant villains in some kind of prison. The snap made some of them escape.

Somehow 100 year old Magneto finds "MCU Lazarus Pit equivalent" or has some kind of "slow-age" secondary power.

Or Magneto could somehow use Apocalypse's rejuvenation chamber.

Or Magneto could find a mutant that can make him younger.

I don't think making Magneto not jewish would really work.

Edit: What if all mutants aged slower than humans? Would be an easier way to explain no only Magneto, but any kind x-men hero/villain with some older background.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want a version of Magneto from the multiverse either, but the other origin stories people are giving aren't any better. Another frozen Hydra super soldier? Nah, hard pass on that. Slow aging would be ok, but it still doesn't explain where the hell he's been the last 60+ years.

He could easily just have retreated from public life for a while and events in the recent MCU force him to come back into the limelight. Once the government starts targeting mutants he decides he's had enough and starts lashing out.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1) Let him be alive and a teen in the 40s.
2) He grows up to have a wife and kids
3) Some time in the 50s or 60s he gets captured by Hydra/Kree/whoever.
4) They can't contain him nor can they defeat him so they trap him in ice, or do something that causes him to be in stasis.
5) Cues to sometime in the present day. Magneto awakes and escapes.
6) Realised the world has moved on but Nazis are still around.
7) Tries to find his family but discovers they're all dead, except for a granddaughter, Wanda Maximoff.

Sep 2, 2018

I don't want a version of Magneto from the multiverse either, but the other origin stories people are giving aren't any better. Another frozen Hydra super soldier? Nah, hard pass on that. Slow aging would be ok, but it still doesn't explain where the hell he's been the last 60+ years
1) Let him be alive and a teen in the 40s.
2) He grows up to have a wife and kids
3) Some time in the 50s or 60s he gets captured by Hydra/Kree/whoever.
4) They can't contain him nor can they defeat him so they trap him in ice, or do something that causes him to be in stasis.
5) Cues to sometime in the present day. Magneto awakes and escapes.
6) Realised the world has moved on but Nazis are still around.
7) Tries to find his family but discovers they're all dead, except for a granddaughter, Wanda Maximoff.
Sorry, but that's needlessly convoluted. That origin story would take half a movie(or show) all just to tie him to Scarlet Witch. Wanda is not a mutant anymore, so leave that out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How could a Omega level mutant just easily retreat from life for 60+years?

He wouldn't be a supervillain to start. Something happens in the current era (aka: mutants being cracked down on, literally his number one pet peeve) that makes him realize humanity will never improve past the Holocaust without being forced.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
His pet peeve? It's the crux of his character lol.

Yes, exactly. So if that hasn't happened yet he has no reason to go nuts and start blowing shit up. There needs to be a moment where Erik realizes that it's happening again, and humanity learned nothing from the 40s, and that's the moment he chooses to punish the world. All you need is DODC overreaching inside a small mutant community and that's the spark.

Sep 2, 2018
Yes, exactly. So if that hasn't happened yet he has no reason to go nuts and start blowing shit up. There needs to be a moment where Erik realizes that it's happening again, and humanity learned nothing from the 40s, and that's the moment he chooses to punish the world. All you need is DODC overreaching inside a small mutant community and that's the spark.
They gotta be real fucking good at hiding, excuse my language. With all the other crazy shit in the MCU, you think they wouldn't know about mutants?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
They gotta be real fucking good at hiding, excuse my language. With all the other crazy shit in the MCU, you think they wouldn't know about mutants?
Until The Avengers seemingly no one knew aliens were a thing, Gods exist but we're just myths til Thor popped up,magic is still largely hidden, the world of fantasy style martial arts is hidden, etc.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want a version of Magneto from the multiverse either, but the other origin stories people are giving aren't any better. Another frozen Hydra super soldier? Nah, hard pass on that. Slow aging would be ok, but it still doesn't explain where the hell he's been the last 60+ years

Sorry, but that's needlessly convoluted. That origin story would take half a movie(or show) all just to tie him to Scarlet Witch. Wanda is not a mutant anymore, so leave that out.

They don't need to do half a movie. Could be a flashback montage.

Of course the easiest way is for him to be someone who ages slowly but then they might need to explain why he has been hiding of invisible for the past few decades anyway.

Whatever the case might be he has to keep his Jewish identity.

Sep 2, 2018
Until The Avengers seemingly no one knew aliens were a thing, Gods exist but we're just myths til Thor popped up,magic is still largely hidden, the world of fantasy style martial arts is hidden, etc.
You didn't watch Captain Marvel did you lol? They knew about aliens since the late 80's/early 90's. Magic was not hidden, just know to a select few. The fact that mutants would have been around and NEVER been mentioned once is pretty farfetched even for the MCU.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They can literally do anything and explain it away with 'multiverse'

They are simply going to update his origins. Or they can find a way to bring a person from the 80's in our times, so the whole age thing wouldn't really matter.

Or they could just bring Dustin from Stranger Things in a few years, he would be perfect for the role.

(On a more serious note, it's going to be really hard for me to not see Magneto as some really agile person that can fucking jump on his prey in one second, thanks to Marvel vs Capcom).

f8c2de646cef3b5599d81a1fd9ac0552.jpg
What does magneto have to do with Dustin?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
You didn't watch Captain Marvel did you lol? They knew about aliens since the late 80's/early 90's. Magic was not hidden, just know to a select few. The fact that mutants would have been around and NEVER been mentioned once is pretty farfetched even for the MCU.

It's a make believe world, the characters say what writers wrote for them. They didn't mention them because they didn't have the rights and it wasn't part of the plan back then in early MCU movies, lol.

They can just write themselves out of it somehow, hehe.

But please please, keep Mags Jewish and with the Holocaust background Marvel!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

2 of these were not on Earth and the other 2 require intense training under groups/organisations dedicated to secrecy, sometimes with them being located in other dimensions.

Mutant powers, on the other hand, crop up at random across the globe in children and teenagers. It's just not even remotely close to being as believable that it could be kept secret for years. Better to have the X-Gene be "activated" by the Snap in most people's cases.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Not known as in the general populace doesn't know you can be a wizard with like a month of training or that Aliens pop up all the time on Earth. Just handwave it the same way they've done whenever they introduce something that should be widely known by everyone on Earth but isn't . Some nonsense about Xavier and Shield keeping it secret or some omega level mutant wiping everyone's memory.

Sep 2, 2018
2 of these were not on Earth and the other 2 require intense training under groups/organisations dedicated to secrecy, sometimes with them being located in other dimensions.

Mutant powers, on the other hand, crop up at random across the globe in children and teenagers. It's just not even remotely close to being as believable that it could be kept secret for years. Better to have the X-Gene be "activated" by the Snap in most people's cases.
Exactly

Sep 2, 2018
Not known as in the general populace doesn't know you can be a wizard with like a month of training or that Aliens pop up all the time on Earth. Just handwave it the same way they've done whenever they introduce something that should be widely known by everyone on Earth but isn't . Some nonsense about Xavier and Shield keeping it secret or some omega level mutant wiping everyone's memory.
Man, that's a bit of a stretch tbh. If that's the case, Fury would have had to go around using an entire race of superpowered individuals. With all the stuff that's happened you know crazy that would look?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mutant powers, on the other hand, crop up at random across the globe in children and teenagers. It's just not even remotely close to being as believable that it could be kept secret for years.
+
Done.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Guess what, his mutant abilities now conveniently include aging more slowly

I always thought they could just have Xavier and Magneto fight some villain that slowed their aging. Like a side effect of fighting Shadowking or maybe Apocalypse or Sinister does it.

I just don't think you can remove Magneto from his origin and it would be disrespectful to attach him to some updated tragedy that took place more recent. Like something off the wall like saying Nazi experiments in Argentina led to an undisclosed Holocaust… is disrespectful.

I highly doubt Marvel doesn't have Magneto in the right age context either.

Here's a scenario… Sinister combines their DNA with Logan and it makes them age slower, though not as slow as Logan. Sinister does it because they intrigue him and he wants them to live longer to experiment on them more…. He uses the same formula on himself of course. However Magneto and Xavier escape. However it's established early that Sinister, Logan, Magneto, Xavier, and Apocalypse are longer lived.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that's a bit of a stretch tbh. If that's the case, Fury would have had to go around using an entire race of superpowered individuals. With all the stuff that's happened you know crazy that would look?
Crazy, but no crazier than him communicating for years with aliens and super powered beings who could destroy Earth. It's already a world wheee there's a whole universe that kind of just ignores Earth and even entire civilizations that ignore the outside world. If aliens , gods, magic, and Wakanda can be largely out of sight why not a few hundred mutants.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
He has been on a drinking binge considering the world is just fucked up as ever if not more.

Also, all the "lets make this major Jewish character not Jewish" bits in the thread are offensive as hell.