Status
Not open for further replies.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
this might seem like an odd idea for a thread but I've been thinking about this since the migration here. if this is against the rules, I apologize.

How did you all get here? If you were on another forum before, what do you like better (or worse) about ResetERA?

Personally, I joined the other site in 2011/2012 when I was 13ish(!). One of my favorite things there that was soon lost was the sense of community and overall comfort of being there, even being a kid finding a gaming forum where the people were genuine and there wasnt much trolling was a great feeling. Obviously without going into detail we know how that has ended (with me getting banned of course!).

In the last year of my time there, I had grown to hate most of that particular community as well as most other gaming communities online. People are toxic, misogynistic, etc. it gets old. When ResetERA came to fruition I was skeptical, but excited to try a new site where hopefully the mods didn't just ban people because they asked questions about controversial subjects. However, now this has become one of my favorite sites (over the old one for sure!) and I am beyond happy that a lot of us good ones migrated together! Even though I mostly lurk here nowadays, I still love it all the same.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
I found Neogaf first, but I probably found that after hearing people talking about it in gaming podcasts.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Most of us were on Gaf and we moved here. Era is way better and more friendly

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Joined gaf circa 2011 and migrated here when all the shit went down. I imagine most members here came over from the migration as well.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was on NeoGAF, so I saw some posts on there about reset. The majority are the same, but I think those that couldn't get an account there and lurked just had an easier time signing up for reset. I guess its a blessing also for those that were perm'd on gaf.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
In another website. I remember reading what happened to Neogaf, and that a new site was created. So I register to this site to give it a try.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I was on the old place and followed the opening of this site from Twitter. The transition from the old place to here was a bit rough for me because I'm not engaged in any of the community threads/Discords and I don't know anyone from the old place or here off-site, so I had to follow it on Twitter and get vague updates. I ended up missing the initial registration and lurked for a few weeks.

I found the old place from GameFAQs in like 2008, occasionally came here usually around E3 time but never made an account until 2013 when I realized I could with my college E-Mail address.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Twitter. That's where stuff was announced. I joined one of those secret Discords and got in.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
There was a topic on NeoGAF during the cataclysm. I was already fed up with NeoGAF administration and had concerns over the moderation on that site, specifically with an obvious system-wars bias and some cult of personality issues. The well publicized controversies with the administrators cemented my desire to leave that site.

The mass exodus began. Then the GAF admin made a stickied post on the front page that basically said, "fine, go to ResetERA. IDGAF. I hate all of you, FOREVER."

So I came to ResetERA.

So far it's been nice.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Part of the exodus

AccomplishedEnchantingHellbender.gif

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I just followed all of the good people here from that other place. Out of curiosity I've gone back a couple of times and yikes.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I found neogaf through the member "donkey show" he was a mod on the naruto forum where I used to post. Than I joined gaf because he was always talking about it.

Than gaf imploded an we on era now.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I got in through a Persona GAF Discord.

One thing though I think this site should work on is finding a way to advertise itself to draw in new members because after the initial 30,000 or so member explosion at the beginning, new memberships have been extremely slow. Part of this may have to do with the long wait times between requesting an account and actually receiving one. Maybe if we had a more optimal system of confirming new members instead of manually selecting each one, we could increase the base of this site even further.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I was away one weekend and came back to find the lands of old on fire, I soon found myself in one of the many discords and then fled here during the great migration.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Kinda part of the exodus, Lurked the old place for several years without signing up (the long approval times scared me).
Then after neogaf went south I kept researching where the people went (Thoose were confusing days).
Heard about resetEra being set up and then signed up for a membership as soon as the registration opened.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted some very tasteful nudity as a peaceful protest against GAF, got perm's, found a discord and whipwapzamoo now I'm here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Came after the exodus. Thanks RWBYEra for the invite.

The site admins and mods have done a pretty good job so far IMO. Glad I can pay to get rid of ads now.

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the exodus. As I recall I found out that people were working to get this site up and running from a news article. I wasn't on Discord and still haven't a clue what that even is (and don't care) so I didn't learn about it from there like many people did.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I joined GAF when I realized my politics and videogame discussion on most forums didn't mesh at all anymore, and got here during the migration.

That said I am here for the community which I consider myself a part of and where it goes I go, it's not really about the forum software or the name on the header.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Like many others I joined in the Exodus. The community (and all of its quirks) are what make this place worth visiting.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came over from the other place.
Found the other place because Kotaku would use it as a source for basically half or more of their articles at the time. Kotaku at that point was turning to shit so I felt I might as well stop posting there and go over to the source of their information.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I had kept up with GAF for years due to its solid reputation as a news source, but I only began actively following it over the past couple of years because, ironically enough, of the political conversation. It genuinely felt like the only place online where I could keep up with the increasing madness of the world that was also (for the most part) clean of the stain of the alt-right.

GAF imploding wound up happening at a very quiet moment in my life, as I was in between jobs and applying for graduate school. I took advantage of the exodus to stop lurking and start actually participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.