• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost 27, and in my first serious relationship since college. My girlfriend has said she's pretty certain she wants kids in the future, so I'm starting to consider it seriously for the first time in my life. Honestly, my first reaction is kinda negative because of how much they would eat into my free time, but there are some parts of it that sound nice. Mostly though it just seems like an overwhelming thing to consider, not sure how to decide about something that's so monumental and life-altering (especially since the decision will also affect the future of my relationship).

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We still haven't. About half of our friends have kids though and it is helpful to see how they are dealing with the little tykes.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It's okay to be uncertain about something as life changing as children. I've gone back and forth about whether I want one or not.

I'm at a point, I'm 32, where I would like a child but can't afford one.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I think both of you would need to agree about it being something you want, as a foundation.

Oct 25, 2017
First thing to understand is that you will never feel 'ready' to have kids. Just be in a pretty good place yourself, have a determination to love whatever you get, and the willingness to care for them and you'll figure out the rest as you go.

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I would like kids but I'm gay and surrogacy is prohibitively expensive so I never had a realistic choice in the matter.

I'm also infertile now due to medication I take so the option is 100% gone.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Getting married next year, and planning to eventually have children. I've leaned towards No for a while here and there, but ultimately decided the satisfaction of watching and helping someone grow and become part of the world is worth the effort. To challenge your child's opinions and viewpoints, while them doing the same to you, is a relationship I would love to have. While I have that in my soon-to-be wife, I feel like having that in the context of a father-child relationship is something I look forward to.

I think a key thing to understand is that it's not right or wrong to have children or not have children, no matter what others say. As long as you truly think long and hard about it, the emotional and financial commitment, and your reasoning for doing so (other than "it's just what you do when you're an adult"), there's no poor choice here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm 31 and want kids but I don't want to be married, so I'm deciding to not have kids.

Sucks, but it's a bit difficult to become a single father without adopting and that's not something I want to do at this point.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Prepare as much as you can, but you can never prepare enough so don't let that stop you. The thoughts of your free time going away will be a distant memory when the time's right too.

Things will work themselves out naturally.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of personal introspection, lots of conversations with my wife, took both of us getting on the same page and being able to comfortably and honestly say "we are ready for this, it will be a major change and sacrifice, but the juice will be worth the squeeze". Then we did it, and so far it has been amazing.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I never wanted children. Even my "baby dolls" were always "sisters" growing up. I chose to accept that about myself, societal pressures be damned. Given the medical problems my identical twin had delivering her child, I believe my complete lack of a brooding urge was biologically correct. I was also glad to finally have her near-death to point at as an excuse to get the old women off my back about me ruining my life with my selfish decision. Of course, since your entire life will focus on the child, it would be extremely rewarding and fulfilling. Not having one...I don't have a palpable hole in my life that people with kids imagine I have. My life has other rewards that fill me with joy.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We just kind of did.

Absolutely nothing wrong with not having kids, especially if you don't want any in the first place.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have been really on the fence about it. We keep waffling but we're really leaning into the "no way" category.

I just don't want to mess up kids and I'd be scared about doing that.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I can't remember when I specifically decided to not have them, but I still have my reasons. I don't like kids at all. I don't want the expense or burden. I don't want to see a kid go through the same regretful steps my life took. I'm worried about their education and job market once they get out of school.

I simply have zero desire to have children.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm almost 40, I didn't think I wanted kids but recently everyone is having them, and I fear that one day something could happen to me and my wife would be left alone.

Plus watching the Naruto episodes where he met his parents kind of made me feel like I should, lol

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
I always knew I wanted kids, so it's hard to answer w/r/t "how do you know/decide" - but I will say that we never felt "ready" for kids.

I have four, and while of course I can imagine a life without them and how much easier it would be, I also know that my life would feel far more barren and lifeless without them. They bring a special kind of joy that nothing else can.

When we got married, we planned on four kids. My husband comes from a family of 10 kids, I come from a family of 3. We knew we wanted a happy medium - 2 didn't seem like enough, 3 felt uneven, more than 4 was way too many. But we never tried for any of our kids. The first two were a result of not being super careful, the last two (twins) were proof that condoms are not 100% effective even when used correctly despite being almost obsessively paranoid about it. Happened anyway.

Had we waited until we felt ready, I'm fairly certain we would never have had any of our kids. It's a huge, life-altering undertaking. So as others have said, sometimes you have to take the leap even if you don't feel ready. I don't think we felt ready even after having the entire pregnancies to get used to the idea of another one. You just do it.

That being said - don't do it if you aren't sure. There's a difference between not feeling ready and not knowing whether you even want a child. No child deserves a parent who makes up his/her mind after the fact and potentially discovers yeah, I guess I really didn't want this kid.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Current plan is absolutely not, public opinion has demonstrated itself to be too volatile so having kids as a gay couple is a risk we'd rather not take for their sake. I would hate for in 20 years a far right government try and take my kids away; sounds stupid but seeing how quickly things can change in a short period makes me more concerned about how things can change medium to long term. Very happy being an uncle though, I kinda hope my sister has more kids so I can have more nephews or nieces.

I never felt like having them. I don't like kids. I don't think babies are cute. Maybe I will regret it one day like you are often told. But why do something now that I don't want, because there might be the possibility of regretting it one day? Never made sense to me.
Well, during life other stuff happened here and there to underline it, but that's how I always felt about it regardless.

kfvick

Dec 3, 2018
Mississippi
My wife and I had the talk before we got married. And really, before we decided to be "serious" serious dating wise. We had both always wanted children, it turns out, and our daughter is the greatest joy of our lives. If there had been a disconnect between what we wanted (kids or no kids) then I'm not sure what we would have done. I was married previously and she was unable to have kids, and I personally felt that hole in my life.

That said, it's absolutely not for everyone, and I have no ill will or negative thoughts for anyone who decides it's not for them. That's their (or your) decision and no one else's. All I can say is just take the time to think it through as much as you can, and then go forward with what you decide. Either way, it'll be the right choice for you.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
We have decided not to have kids. I do not want to be murdered in my sleep because I asked him/her to clean their room. My wife is a teacher, and that is the best contraception I have ever known.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm too unsure of my parenting skills. Don't want to risk giving a kid the childhood i had.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I absolutely love kids. Would have 10 if I could afford it, just to watch them grow, learn, and become their own person.

I've wanted kids since I was like 12, lol. (I'm 36, have two girls 11 & 6, and a newborn boy). Greatest thing on earth to me....couldn't care less about my "free time". I get to do cool stuff with them, and still get to play games/watch football, etc.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
My wife never wanted them. She has 6 siblings, 5 of which she grew up taking care of (youngest one is about 18 years younger than her), so she's had enough, lol. The fathers (there were 2) were never really in the picture, and her mom worked nutty hours to afford it all, so quite a lot of the care fell on her shoulders.

Me, I could have gone either way. Never had a strong desire to have them, though.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
After trouble with horomones and reproductive parts and the fact that both my fiancé and I carry shit genes, we are just gonna adopt in the future. I'm currently trying to get a vasectomy done, but having to fight with Medicaid in my state to pay for the surgery.

I'm too unsure of my parenting skills. Don't want to risk giving a kid the childhood i had.

If it makes you feel any better, knowing the childhood you once had and acknowledging that you don't want the same for another will help keep the same mistakes from happening. That's how I look at it and what I was told by others. I grew up in a very abusive and neglectful home myself.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well I'm an uterly repulsive human being (communist, vegan, and "ESJAYDOUBLUUUU") so naturally no woman would ever want me.

Humanity is shit, the world is going to be fucked in a few decades and humans are incapable of changing their ways. So yeah, that made it easy for me.
If I ever want kids I'll adopt.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think i've always wanted to become a dad. I think (most) kids are great (they're mostly corrupted by adults and their closed-minded views on everything) and i figured i'd be a loving dad at the very least. My girlfriend asked if i wanted to try and become parents with her. I was so honered by that that i completely shut down for a couple of seconds. We talked a lot about the world and responsibilities in the years prior to that moment. It took us 2 years until she finally got pregnant though. But now we have the most awesome son. Such a sweet, openminded, creative kid. The absolute best thing that happend to me in my life and being a parent continues to enhance my life in multiple ways. It's not all roses and sunshine of course. But i'm a happy camper.

Dec 6, 2018
If I were to have kids it would be via adoption as I am gay and am not a fan of the idea of surrogacy. The only thing is that I am not sure if I would ever get married or anything so I would have to rely on family for help and have to wait until I am super established in a career. I have dual citizenship to Italy where raising a kid would be easier, but Italy probably won't have equal gay/hetero rights for at least the next 10 years and single parent adoption is not legal, although they do recognize foreign adoptions of any kind I believe.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a massive decision, arguably the biggest in your life. Their is no shame in taking time to think about it, and treating it with weight. And their's no shame in either choice. Just make sure it's your choice and not someone else's.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It was an easy choice for me. "Hey you just spent 30 years climbing outta being dirt poor and finally enjoying life, would you like to go back to that?" Ya no thanks, I'll enjoy my fruits of my labor.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
We planned it very carefully. We made a budget to see how much it would cost to have two children. You know new car, bigger apartment, clothes, food and so on.

Then the fun began and soon enough we were parents. Two kids later I had a vasectomy.

Even thought we've hade some surprises show up during this time. Like my wife having a post partum depression.
And my youngest being born with a slight case of cerebral palsy, everything is fine.
We are happy and our kids are doing great.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
We have bad genetics, the world's population is growing too fast, by the time our kids are adults the world's population might be literally doomed due to global warming.

We are also cheap and don't like being tied down.

For now it's pets, if we really want a kid in the future we will adopt or foster.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30 years old, I want to live my own life and do whatever I want.

I just want to make my partner happy and focus on my hobbies/job, it's what I want from life and children are not needed. Getting children seems to be something people do to find purpose(which is fine), I don't need them for that.

I see all my peers getting children and having huge money problems as well, while I'm doing okay, I think I'll keep it this way.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Almost twenty years ago an ex-gf I remained friends with died in a car accident. Really hit me hard, she had so much going for her. Somehow this inspired me to talk my girlfriend into having a kid. I guess because you don't know how much time you have. Well she agreed and we went for it. Turned our lives upside down and changed everything forever but no regrets. He's almost 18 now and we also had two more. Couldn't have hoped for better kids.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
First thing to understand is that you will never feel 'ready' to have kids. Just be in a pretty good place yourself, have a determination to love whatever you get, and the willingness to care for them and you'll figure out the rest as you go.
This is the number 1 thing i've heard from asking many people. That being said, i'm on the border of "I would love to raise a little girl" but also "this world doesn't need more people".

Also something to keep in mind, daycare for kids can be just as costly as a mortgage on a house.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Seeing the lives of those close to me change after they had kids made me never ever want to have kids of my own.

I want to enjoy my own life. Our one and only chance to enjoy life is very short.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
No freakin' clue to be honest.

I just knew I always wanted kids, I just never thought about when, but my wife wanted to have kids after she turned 30. So I just went with the flow and we had a little girl. Not going to lie, I was scared as shit. I didn't have any experience with kids or babies. But I feel into it and everything worked out just fine.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
When I realized I wouldn't be able to support my kid financially as well as my parents took care of me. I make decent money...for a single person.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I'm 33 and want kids. So does my wife. I have some trepidation because they're saying that the generation being born now is the one that will truly inherit a dying world from climate change. We'll have inconvenience-- they'll have famine and super-storms. I don't know if I want to make a person who has to live in that world. I've said this to the wife and I think she thinks I'm joking.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm uncertain about a lot in life but for as long as i can remember I've wanted kids.

Oct 28, 2017
A long night of drinking x baby oil = 1st kid.

Now they just happen in my house. If "children are the only true wealth in this world" then I'm a oil tycoon...and I'm about to find another well. With no doubt and or ego, they are my greatest blessing.

I can't believe I'm having another kid and I quoted Godfather III, truly we are in the end times.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids are fucking annoying. It's not worth the hassle.
I'm also too fucked up to have someone else depend on me.

And lastly - there's tons of them out there already. The world doesn't need one more. I wish people were more open to adoption but most seem to be obsessed with their blood instead.

Last edited:

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Came to terms with the fact that 'my' generation is/will be f'd royally financially and then add an incurable autoimmune disease to the mix and I'm like 'nope, not going to bring a kid along for this shitty ride'.