• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I mean they are just contradicting themselves at this point, you like animals so much you'll go ahead and eat them?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
My guess would be that when they identify as an "animal lover" they mean that the love some animals, ie pets and other domesticated animals, they enjoy bird watching, or things like zoos and animal documentaries, and not other animals like the ones that end up on their plate or in large scale industrial farming.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
I don't know man. Many vegans will tell you they don't eat meat because of sentience, then in the same breath will tell you abortion is just fine.

Maybe life ain't as easy as silly little gotchas.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's hypocritical. You can't be one and directly support the meat and dairy industries.

Of course, you could likely trace other levels of hypcorisy from vegans... we all are to a degree, but direct support of those things is a big thing here, though.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Loving animals doesn't mean that you are not willing to eat or kill them. Humans and animals are culturally not the same. So different rules apply to them.

Would you rather save 2 dog puppies or one human baby?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
"You're contradicting yourself" as a point isn't as strong as you think it is. Everyone does that from time to time. It's not an argument or debate where you lose if you contradict yourself, it's peoples lives and how they live it. They do not care if you think they're contradicting themselves and have no reason to. I know smoking tobacco is terrible for me and a completely idiotic thing to do but I still do it. It's a similar thing really, except humans evolved to have omnivorous diets whereas they didn't evolve to smoke. If you've been eating meat all of your life, been taught to cook based around meat, everyone you know eats meat etc, then to become vegan is a massive, life changing switch that takes months or years to achieve and is comparable to quitting an addiction in some ways. For many people it would be the hardest thing you ever do. You literally have to change all of your habits, the way you shop, the way you think on a day to day basis, the way you cook etc. There is no question that that is the correct thing to do, but there is also no question that many people will not make that effort, especially if most people around them aren't. Obviously if a lot of your friends and family are vegan and constantly cooking and eating vegan food then it becomes a lot easier, but most people don't have that influence and have to force themselves to make the journey in spite of everyone around them. Loving animals or not is the biggest motivation for the people who do this, but it's not going to pull the vast majority of people through that effort alone. To say nobody who eats meat loves animals, is obviously not true on any level, I don't think I need to explain that.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
did you know that some doctors and nurses smoke

what an uproar

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Same way I lovingly look after the plants in my garden and get satisfaction from it then eat carrots and potatoes that evening.

Also I have cats so they're fellow carnivores.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm vegetarian but don't really think this way. Humans eat animals, they always have, that doesn't mean someone can't love dogs and cats which is what this usually means.