Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xbox_one_s_wireless_controller_2_.jpg

The Xbox controller. Though there have only been 3 generations of Xbox and 4 base controller models, you could arguably trace it's roots all the way back to the Sega Saturn, and by proxy all the way back to the Sega Master System.

The controller has evolved a ton, and though many, myself included, refer to the Xbox One controller as the GOAT and standard go to for PC controllers thanks to its build quality and layout, outside of ergonomics, there haven't been too many innovations from the 360 model.

Does a controller need much more?

2 triggers, 2 bumpers, 2 sticks, 4 face, 1 D pad, 1 guide, 1 start and 1 select.

The obvious feature is some sort of screenshot or record button. The way it's handled right now for Xbox One is less than optimal, requiring you to use the Xbox guide. In Single player games with suspend/resume, this isn't an issue, but in Multiplayer games, it can potentially cost you a win.

Personally, one minor thing that I'd love to see improved is controller syncing. The sync button on both the 360 and One pads in combination with the actual process is kind of garbage and takes forever. I'd like to see an implementation similar to the Nintendo Switch in this regard.

Thoughts?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
More tension on the sticks, remodel the bumpers, standard paddles, no lights on the face.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
• More resistance to the bumpers
• Less sticky face buttons (maybe just mine?)
• Better placement of the start and select buttons (yes, I still call them that)

I will say though that I think this controller is close to perfection. There is absolutely nothing ergonomically I would change. It's like it's molded after my hands

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I love the Elite (own three), but would appreciate if they upped the build quality on the LB and RB buttons. If they made that piece of aluminum, instead of the lousy plastic that will invariably fatigue and break at some point, it would be perfect.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
  • Better D-pad
  • Rethink the bumpers either changing the design or making them more natural to hit
  • Make paddles standard

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random but I'd like a built-in mic in the controller. The jump to the Xbox one x really made me realize the convenience of being able to chat with friends through kinect, without using a headset. A mic in the controller could solve this.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Dedicated share button and more tension on the sticks. No batteries this time and a decent battery life.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Fix the damn bumpers. It's just baffling how cheap they feel in comparison to the 360 controller

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Put the letters on the right buttons.
Jokes aside, I wonder if we'll see a PS4 approach: keep the essentials, the layout, etc, and add the touch of novelty on the side. I'm not saying kinect camera to check on your eye movement level of novelty... but you know.
If energy wasn't such a problem for controllers, I would have said "small screen" dreamcast-like. The return of the Duke felt like a prototype in that regard.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
  • Buttons on the back so I don't need to let go of the right thumb stick to reload/jump/take/activate/etc.
  • (Internal) Battery that can be charged via USB while playing.
  • A button dedicated for screenshots/recording.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The shape and design is perfect. Just make the sticks a little tighter and improve the bumper build quality. I am just going off my experience with my own controller, assuming I don't have a faulty one.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it'd be cool to get a gyro in there. I don't want it standardized across all games but it'd be a nice option -- I do like gyro aiming on Nintendo's platforms in some games, for instance.

I do want a dedicated "Share" button, as I do find myself using it a lot on PS4 and find the Xbox One Guide Button and submenu navigation to be cumbersome by comparison.

Finally, an internal rechargeable battery that's consumer-replaceable. Maybe just keep the same exact setup as now, where there's just a small lid that can be used to open up and access the battery, but just ship it with a rechargeable already installed. Make sure it's as high quality a battery as can be -- reasonable battery life and ability to recharge a ton. The latter seems to have been a problem for the official "battery packs" that come from Microsoft since the Xbox 360...

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Make the elite controller standard, but also not fall apart after less than a year of standard use.

Also all I want from controllers now is clickable scroll wheels instead of shoulder buttons.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
D-pad for me still off for fighting games, to the point I still get fighters on the PS4.

A little too...dunno, 'mushy'.

Otherwise, I prefer to play all games on the X1 controller; their best effort yet.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Xbox One controller was a downgrade from the 360 controller.

The sticks are now too tall and too loose. The bumpers are too clicky. I honestly prefer the PS4 controller and I thought I'd never say that.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remove that crappy d-pad. Make it more like the design of the Saturn or 360. My goodness that Xbox One d-pad is horrible for fighting games.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably be fine if it was just an XB1 controller with a D-pad that wasn't complete shit. I would, however, like to see the bumpers improved a bit. I can't really decide what it is that I don't like about them. I just know they don't feel very good to use compared to the DS3/4. A dedicated share button would also be nice, especially if they can make it work on PC.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love built in paddles or buttons on the back like on the elite that aren't so easy to accidentally press. Even if it was just an experimental controller separate from the standard/elite controllers.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the dpad on that position, one of the reasons is fighting games, also it doesnt have a capture button, I also think it doesnt have any motion controls or rechargable battery, does it? for me Switch Pro controller (the 80+ hours of battery is a god send) and Dualshock 4 (only gripe with this one is the big ass light) are vastly superior.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd rather the buttons were a little less convex and slightly flatter like the DS4 buttons, but other than that it's near perfection. I think the triggers and sticks could be a little tighter but I'd rather they don't mess with the design too much. The D-Pad it's my favourite this gen by far.

Jan 11, 2018
It needs a gyro. The controller looks so good, but it's still lacking the gyro sensor the Switch Pro-Con has, which makes playing some games with it pretty darn hard (Looking at you, shooters)

I'd also like to see it have paddles on the grip like some controllers have now, and an actual Share button like what's on the Switch. Yeah, I'm a little too addicted to how instant screenshoting and video clipping is on Switch.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Replace the right analog stick with something that could make the controller more comparable to a mouse in terms of camera control accuracy.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I find it perfect. Size and the analogs places. Maybe the only thing I want them to do is a screenshot/save clip button instead of pressing home and Y/X. It's a minor thing but a must

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, maybe just round it off. Not a giant fan of the angular design, but I'm just nit-picking.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
The LB/RB needs to be adjusted. They click very weird. Sometimes they don't register and it's been a thing on all the controllers I get. Make them like the trigger or something

Jan 11, 2018
Replace the right analog stick with something that could make the controller more comparable to a mouse in terms of camera control accuracy.
Gyro controls can help with that. That's why I love the Switch Pro-Con so much when it comes to shooters. (Except Fortnite but they were pretty badly implemented in Fortnite)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fix the shitty breakable bumpers. Every damn controller I've owned has had bumper issues; it's ridiculous.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
A better distinction of what the two boxes and three lines buttons are/do

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Remove that crappy d-pad. Make it more like the design of the Saturn or 360. My goodness that Xbox One d-pad is horrible for fighting games.
What? The Xbox One D-Pad is fantastic, and it's clicky nature is very Nintendo (as opposed to the spongey DS4 D-Pad) and gives great tactile response for platformers and fighters. And the 360 D-Pad was plain broken, so I'm baffled how you could want it to be more like that?! Basing this on the V2 XBO controller as never used the V1 version.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Buttons form and pression touch a la switch pro controller, more resistant shoulder buttons, gyro, a bit more rounded edges and nothing else. The offset sticks are perfect!