Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I took these pics of holding a DS3 back in the old place...

YOp6obb.jpg

The sticks are supposed to be held with the tip of the fingers, not with the joints, and given that the sticks are closer to each other than in DS4, I've never had an issue with thumbs stumbling with each other. Even in the middle image, where they're held towards each other, which is probably something you'd rarely do in reality, as you're more likely to view where you're going to. It might be a more common occurrence in twin-stick shooters, but it was never an issue in Resogun for me.

In comparison, the hard concave edges on the 360 pad's sticks started to hurt my thumbs after a while. The same goes for the hard convex ABXY buttons, which never happens with DS pad's flat action buttons. I actually preferred the DS3's convex sticks over the DS4's, and I've found the latter to be better after I put convex soft tips on top of them. That way my thumbs don't slip that easily in games like Resogun.

And like someone already said, if you're playing modern 3D games (e.g. Souls-likes, 3rd person action-adventures, shooters), you're more likely to hold your thumbs on the sticks the most of the time, and use the shoulder buttons for actions. Only occasionally using the action buttons for jump, dodge, or crouch. In that sense, the symmetrical design is just more natural, and that's also what Google chose, as shown in the OP.

I understand, I still preffer the Xbox designg basicaly because I grew up with that controller. When I was a kid I only had a PSX with the regular one, so maybe that's why. My first interaction with joysticks was with the Xbox. When I went back for the dual shock, the joysticks felt like... too light? I don't know how to express it, like they have almost no weight to it.

Jul 4, 2018
I really hate the fact that the Xbox sticks are adjacent rather than aligned and while I don't have an Xbox I dislike that Nintendo (my primary console right now) has chosen to adopt that on both Pro Controller and the JoyCons it makes my hands cramp so fast.

DualShock 4 is pretty good I actually preferred the 3 though as it was a little heftier and didn't have the touchpad which I'm not a fan off. As I've already stated I prefer the more symmetrical analog sticks as I means I can play a couple of hours before getting hand cramps, but that could just be the fact I've grown up with Playstation home consoles and Nintendo handhelds they are pretty standardised in their button and or Stick placement.

If you prefer the Xbox controller that's fine but to completely dismiss other controllers I think is a step too far.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I understand, I still preffer the Xbox designg basicaly because I grew up with that controller. When I was a kid I only had a PSX with the regular one, so maybe that's why. My first interaction with joysticks was with the Xbox. When I went back for the dual shock, the joysticks felt like... too light? I don't know how to express it, like they have almost no weight to it.

That's understandable. My preference might be different as well, if I hadn't played on PS platforms since the late 90's. Funnily enough, I had issues with adjusting to pads early on, coming from using joysticks for years on C64/Amiga. That lead me to buy Namco's arcade stick, which I used for all action games, including Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. :D EDIT: Eventually, I got used to playing them with a pad, but it still felt easier to jump and shoot simultaneously in Tomb Raider when using the arcade stick. That being said, I don't think I'd ever get used to hard convex action buttons, and hard edges on concave sticks.

I played the DLCs for TLOU and Bioshock Infinite on PS3 after the PS4 was launched, and the DS3's sticks did feel a bit too loose after adjusting to DS4.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Both hands behave exactly the same but are mirrored, right? Why should a controller have two different stick layouts then? Using your argument, wouldn't it be better if the right stick and the face buttons were swapped?

Because in literally every game type other than shooters a huge amount of your right hand is pressing face buttons, thereby making it symmetrical.

Racing games, platformers, jrpgs, most third person actions games, like the majority of games put either equal or more weight on the face buttons compared to the right stick. The right stick is an accessory that you only need to use quick flicks for. Even when you use it a lot you never use it as much as the left stick. So the left stick stays in the most normal natural resting position for the hand for maximum comfort, only bending down for quick uses of the D-pad which literally only fighting games actually actively use.

Why would someone argue for symmetrical sticks, when only a few genres compared to most have it true that symmetrical sticks means symmetrical hand position?

Not only that, but given it is more natural for the thumb to be forward, it seems like a much more normal concession to have only one stick bend inward for more fine control, especially given most people hold controllers at a tiny but still there angle, which allows for this to happen. So in this instance the hands would be positioned in such a way that the left hand is cocked to the left a tiny tiny bit (which just mainly results in it looking forward) and the right hand comes more straight at the controller. The controller's handles are bent specifically to facilitate this position so naturally that people rarely report having to adapt to how to hold it, especially if they've never used a controller.

This hand position is really good because it means your right hand is naturally on the face buttons but has an extremely easy time with fine control of the right stick which, while not used as often as the left stick, tends to require more fine movement when it does.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Because in literally every game type other than shooters a huge amount of your right hand is pressing face buttons, thereby making it symmetrical.

Racing games, platformers, jrpgs, most third person actions games, like the majority of games put either equal or more weight on the face buttons compared to the right stick. The right stick is an accessory that you only need to use quick flicks for. Even when you use it a lot you never use it as much as the left stick. So the left stick stays in the most normal natural resting position for the hand for maximum comfort, only bending down for quick uses of the D-pad which literally only fighting games actually actively use.

Why would someone argue for symmetrical sticks, when only a few genres compared to most have it true that symmetrical sticks means symmetrical hand position?

Not only that, but given it is more natural for the thumb to be forward, it seems like a much more normal concession to have only one stick bend inward for more fine control, especially given most people hold controllers at a tiny but still there angle, which allows for this to happen. So in this instance the hands would be positioned in such a way that the left hand is cocked to the left a tiny tiny bit (which just mainly results in it looking forward) and the right hand comes more straight at the controller. The controller's handles are bent specifically to facilitate this position so naturally that people rarely report having to adapt to how to hold it, especially if they've never used a controller.

This hand position is really good because it means your right hand is naturally on the face buttons but has an extremely easy time with fine control of the right stick which, while not used as often as the left stick, tends to require more fine movement when it does.

That's not even remotely true for Souls-likes, WRPGs, and 3rd person action-adventures in general. You're not using the actions buttons as much as the right stick and shoulder buttons. You do jump and evade every now and then, but that's not where your thumb lies most of the time.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
That's understandable. My preference might be different as well, if I hadn't played on PS platforms since the late 90's. Funnily enough, I had issues with adjusting to pads early on, coming from using joysticks for years on C64/Amiga. That lead me to buy Namco's arcade stick, which I used for all action games, including Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. :D EDIT: Eventually, I got used to playing them with a pad, but it still felt easier to jump and shoot simultaneously in Tomb Raider when using the arcade stick. That being said, I don't think I'd ever get used to hard convex action buttons, and hard edges on concave sticks.

I played the DLCs for TLOU and Bioshock Infinite on PS3 after the PS4 was launched, and the DS3's sticks did feel a bit too loose after adjusting to DS4.

Glad to know is not only me! Now I want to try a DS4 controller. The touchpad is a great add, and for CEMU is one of the best.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Although the 360 pad was my all-time favorite last gen, with current consoles I get pain in tendons in my wrist and running down my thumb when holding the Xbox One controller. It's something about the angle and the length of the grip I think.

For that reason alone, I prefer the DS4 which just seems to fit in my hand, even though I like trigger rumble and offset sticks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That's not even remotely true for Souls-likes, WRPGs, and 3rd person action-adventures in general. You're not using the actions buttons as much as the right stick and shoulder buttons. You do jump and evade every now and then, but that's not where your thumb lies most of the time.

Dude. I have like 2000 hours in souls games. You absolutely do not need serious fine control nor constant or even near constant use of the right stick like in a shooter. Typically, my right hand is hitting B. Right stick is primarily for very loose looking around, but when it comes to combat, I'm locking on, rolling, then unlocking sometimes and flicking where I need to look, and then flicking back and locking on again. Face buttons absolutely get more use, especially where it counts. If there's anywhere your hand should be resting it is on B/Circle in souls games. My hand drifts between both.

But again.

I already explained, the point of the position of xbox controllers specifically is to specifically line your hand up so that the thumb is pointing just under the face buttons to easily be able to do both. This makes 3rd person action games perfect as those two, as I covered, are one of those games that use them about equal. But again, even then, unless you are aiming and shooting something, you do not constantly need your finger on the controller. You can, but it is not necessary in the least. Typically your thumb is just kind of hovering there, which, again, the xbox controller facilitates.

With the DS4 the two are more distinct, and plus my wrist is at an angle.

What I will give the DS4 though is the sticks being shorter and the material being so much better. I've gotten small calluses and blisters from long periods of using the weird texture on the xbox one controller. The shorter sticks on the DS4 mean that I don't have to use my whole thumb, and can instead flick and make quick movements using the outside of the underside of the knuckle, and maybe a little of the outside of the pad. The xbox sticks being higher mean that I cannot as easily do this. It's super, duper minor, but it is noticeable. I have to move my entire thumb up. But this is a stick height thing, not a position thing. With lower sticks, the distance and position of face buttons and right stick would be incredibly small, which would be optimal imo.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The modern game controller consists of two handles, if you wrap your fingers around the handles without moving your thumbs your thumbs will be pointing up.

This is why I prefer asymmetric sticks as your thumbs are naturally in a neutral position for the left stick which you use more frequently than the dpad.

Putting the dpad in that position seems wasteful when most games use the dpad for secondary or tertiary functions. Anyone playing fighting games should buy a cheap fight pad anyways.

Op wheres the Symmetrical vs asymmetrical poll.

symmetrical is the only thing that makes sense

Placement of those sticks also matters, as I've explained several times, and the bottom (to the left/center of all the buttons, nonetheless!) is not good placement.

And in all honesty, preference for symmetrical sticks will likely have to do with what genres a person plays the most.

What's most important is that the controls used the most are placed toward the top of the controller. If that's means you use sticks more than face buttons, then symmetrical sticks are fine.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the asymmetrical sticks, the bumpers, and the d-pad. None of them feel good to me because the controller is simply too large for my hands. I worked at a Gamestop for two years and used the thing. Didn't like it for the 360, and I still don't like it for the XBONE.

DS4 fits in my hands damn near perfectly. I don't have have to reach for anything. I hope they change little of it going from DS4 to DS5, because it doesn't really need it.

It's the best feeling controller Sony's put out since they started making consoles.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think the Dualshock is better in pretty much everything, the layout, the bumpers, the triggers, having stuff like the touchpad, gyroscope, better grips, better sticks, I don't like the Xbox One controller at all. The 360 controller is better than it.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
How anyone feels good playing a FPS with that controller, is beyond me. I hate that the sticks are so close together, and on the same line!

Even after several people point out the very obvious notion that this stuff is all about personal preference ... OP comes back with this. I'm convinced these kinds of threads will never go away. ... Next I'm going to do a thread on how I prefer slightly more jelly to peanut butter in my PBJ sandwich ratio and assert that I SPEAK THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH FOR ALL MANKIND.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I love the feel of Xbox controller, but I can not stand the clickity bumpers and candy buttons. This has been my pet peeve since the original Xbox S controller.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Because D-Pad position, it's obvious when playing games that utilise it for movement. Resting the thumb on the left analog stick and moving it around is much more natural than having to stretch it to different points and pressing down on the four directional buttons. The trade off of having the sticks symmetrical is way less of a problem than having the D-Pad down there.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I guess I have the "perfect" hands size since the stick placement is a complete non issue for me, what I don't like at all from any Xbox controller is that the Bumpers / Triggers are always the worst, so uncomfortable and you can't use both middle and index fingers like I do on anyother controller, the face buttons having that dumb convex shape doesn't help either, makes the tip of my thumb hurt, then add missing Gyro and Xbox One controller is just plain inferior.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I prefer the Xbox controller but Stadia looks like it's using PlayStation stick layout

A/B/X/Y became standard on PC because of Windows/Xbox integration since they're both Microsoft, not because of the strength of the controller

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My xbox elite controller has basically fallen apart and it's been replaced multiple times in the past. My DS4s both still work. That's a win for the ds4 in my book

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Glad to know is not only me! Now I want to try a DS4 controller. The touchpad is a great add, and for CEMU is one of the best.

You're definitely not the only one. Many have complained about the loose sticks on DS3. It's not an issue on DS4. I like the touchpad as well, and hope it'll be on DS5 as well. Unfortunately, many games don't take full advantage of it.

Dude. I have like 2000 hours in souls games. You absolutely do not need serious fine control nor constant or even near constant use of the right stick like in a shooter. Typically, my right hand is hitting B. Right stick is primarily for very loose looking around, but when it comes to combat, I'm locking on, rolling, then unlocking sometimes and flicking where I need to look, and then flicking back and locking on again. Face buttons absolutely get more use, especially where it counts. If there's anywhere your hand should be resting it is on B/Circle in souls games. My hand drifts between both.

But again.

I already explained, the point of the position of xbox controllers specifically is to specifically line your hand up so that the thumb is pointing just under the face buttons to easily be able to do both. This makes 3rd person action games perfect as those two, as I covered, are one of those games that use them about equal. But again, even then, unless you are aiming and shooting something, you do not constantly need your finger on the controller. You can, but it is not necessary in the least. Typically your thumb is just kind of hovering there, which, again, the xbox controller facilitates.

With the DS4 the two are more distinct, and plus my wrist is at an angle.

Dude, I've got 81:55 hours on Dark Souls 3 (before the DLCs), 244:51 hours on Bloodborne (before the 4th playthrough), and staggering 3874:23 hours and counting on Let It Die. I think I know what I'm talking about. It's disingenuous to claim that you're holding your thumb on action buttons the most of the gameplay hours. Especially in LID, where there are no i-frames and dodging consumes a lot of stamina (without specific Skill Decals, which you'll never use instead of the damage/defense-increasing ones). It's often best to evade attacks by running sideways instead of rolling.

As for shooters, like Destiny where I got 611:10 active gameplay hours, the right thumb is only briefly on action buttons, when you need to jump or switch weapons. The same goes for 3rd person games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted, and Resident Evil. Even when you're not in combat, you're constantly adjusting your view when you move, more so than jumping over obstacles.

Since we've established, that you're holding your thumbs on both analogue sticks the most of the time in modern 3D action games, the symmetric design is the optimal solution, whether the sticks are placed up or down. So, DS4, Stadia, and Wii U Pro pads would be the optimal solutions for both preferences. That's where the argument about left stick being more ergonomical in the upper position fails, since it doesn't apply to the right stick because reasons.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox One controller fell off a table one time and now it makes cracking sounds when I hold it. It feels like the plastic on each half is practically coming apart and it sucks that it took that much damage from such a low height fall. Meanwhile the DS4 has trash battery life so I have to swap two controllers on chargers regularly. Switch Pro controller is the best, but I will say I mostly prefer the symmetrical analogue sticks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You're definitely not the only one. Many have complained about the loose sticks on DS3. It's not an issue on DS4. I like the touchpad as well, and hope it'll be on DS5 as well. Unfortunately, many games don't take full advantage of it.

Dude, I've got 81:55 hours on Dark Souls 3 (before the DLCs), 244:51 hours on Bloodborne (before the 4th playthrough), and staggering 3874:23 hours and counting on Let It Die. I think I know what I'm talking about. It's disingenuous to claim that you're holding your thumb on action buttons the most of the gameplay hours. Especially in LID, where there are no i-frames and dodging consumes a lot of stamina (without specific Skill Decals, which you'll never use instead of the damage/defense-increasing ones). It's often best to evade attacks by running sideways instead of rolling.

As for shooters, like Destiny where I got 611:10 active gameplay hours, the right thumb is only briefly on action buttons, when you need to jump or switch weapons. The same goes for 3rd person games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted, and Resident Evil. Even when you're not in combat, you're constantly adjusting your view when you move, more so than jumping over obstacles.

Since we've established, that you're holding your thumbs on both analogue sticks the most of the time in modern 3D action games, the symmetric design is the optimal solution, whether the sticks are placed up or down. So, DS4, Stadia, and Wii U Pro pads would be the optimal solutions for both preferences. That's where the argument about left stick being more ergonomical in the upper position fails, since it doesn't apply to the right stick because reasons.

Again, you're completely ignoring the entire point about the design of the controller itself and how close it puts the right stick to the face buttons and the direction it encourages your hand to come at, which makes the difference here, because you get the best of both worlds.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Agreed. The DS4 is definitely a step in the right direction (after the embarrassing DS3) but Sony still have work to do to match the Xbox One / Switch Pro controllers.

They really need to ditch the symmetrical analogue sticks. It was passible back in 2000 but not now.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
How anyone feels good playing a FPS with that controller, is beyond me. I hate that the sticks are so close together, and on the same line!

You seem to be under the impression that your experience with it in fps is representative of everyone which isn't the case. The Dualshock 4 is fantastic for shooters and was designed for them in mind.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I still prefer the Xbox one pad, but the DS4 was such a huge step up Over PS2 and PS3.
I'd like to see them fix the stick position, they've obviously tweaked the ergonomics of the handles to better facilitate it, but you still can't get away from the fact that the sticks were literally tacked on to the design of the original playstation controlller and it still this way like some kind of evolutionary throwback. Like male nipples

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'll say two things about this thread.

First, I own both and prefer the Xbox One controller, but it's all about feel. If somebody prefers the feel of a PS4, then there's no changing someone's mind on that.

Second, when I play PUBG with my buddies on console. we find that the crossplay opponent's playing on PS4 are free kills & free loot. It's like they're either intentionally missing their shots or are just super late at target acquisition and killing. And I don't think I'm necessarily better, but that I've got a better tool for that particular job.

I think the PS4 controller is better for D-pad focused games, but if it's a shooter, there's no chance I'm using anything other than the XB1 controller.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm legitimately surprised how many people are saying they prefer the DS4 to the XBONE controller. I knew some would prefer it, but damn.

The DS4 is MUCH better than the PS3 controller as far as aesthetic and ergonomics, but the pathetic battery life, mushy separated d-pad, practically recessed option and share buttons, and the power sucking touch pad that barely gets used, I can't imagine ever favoring it unless I had smaller hands.

Even with it being better to hold than the DS3, it still feels weird to hold.

I think the Switch Pro controller is the best. Most comfortable, better shoulder buttons than the XBONE, large flat buttons instead of the rounded XBONE buttons, short trigger travel (not good for racers, but I don't play those much, especially on Switch. ), and the best d-pad of the three which is very important to me (though it sometimes has input problems)

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah the quality is worse but I prefer ds4 over the xbone controller because is suitable for any kind of game. Outside the fps the xbone controller feels really uncomfortable. And the bubble buttons are awful to touch honestly.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Elite controller is the best one on the market since the gamecube pad. DS 4 controller is awful for fps / shooters in general, but thats a playstation stapple at this point

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah the quality is worse but I prefer ds4 over the xbone controller because is more suitable for any kind of game. Outside the fps the xbone controller feels really uncomfortable for my hands . And the bubble buttons are awful to touch and insensitive compared the ds4. But I mean what's exactly the point of this thread, controller war? It doesn't exist an undisputable objective point of views for such matter.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dualshock 4 is a worse controller in every way compared to the Xbox One controller, but not trash tier like DualShock 3.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The dualshock 4 is a worse controller in every way compared to the Xbox One controller, but not trash tier like DualShock 3.
Not it's not. Just in the built quality. I mean, in the end the xbone offers a very basic controller with old batteries but lacking of gyroscope, microphone, sound speaker and touchpad. You can prefer it for the more solid structure and the layout but how can be better in every way if it lacks of features compared the ds4. Someone can despise/ignore such features but they definitely add value to the product and to the final cost of the hardware built. Neither the op seems take count of such differences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling there is more than personal preference going on in here for those that say the DS4 is better.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
While I prefer parallel sticks, the PS4 controller is awful just for having terrible battery life. My favourite controller this generation, no lie is the Wii U Pro controller.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the DS4 over the Xbox pad because the latter cramps my hands up after a while, whereas the DS4 doesn't.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Let me ask you one simple question, what controller is mimicked more than any other? Microsoft!

Google Stadia Conroller:

B88A6413.0.jpg

uhh... what? Maybe you have trouble seeing OP, but Stadia's controller looks more like the DualShock than the Xbox controller.

Then why is asymmetrical the industry standard?

It's not though?

Sony: symmetrical
Xbox: Asymmetrical
Nintendo: changes with the wind.
Everyone else: toss-up

there has never really been a standard for stick placement when it comes to symmetrical vs asymmetrical

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's controllers are my least favorite of the big 3, I've never found them comfortable.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Personal opinions. Some people love the N64 controller, which makes no sense even as someone who grew up playing N64. People are just different, and everyone has a preference. I personally absolutely despise the DS4 and it was a deciding factor in why I went with Xbox One over PS4. Glad I did since Xbox has really improved with stuff like Gamepass.

OP
OP
Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
What are we using the dpad for in the year 2019, in which it is so important? Inventory control ?

serious question?

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I put xbox sticks into my ps4 controller...

xbox controller is better. both are really good, i'm just not overly fond of the sticks and some of the postioning

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I am a reasonable person, I never get caught up in bias's. There are certain things that are self evident. And to me this is one of those cases.
For driving games and FPS games especially.

both excel at different things.

racers, 3rd person action games (like Batman or DMC), and arguably shooters are better on an Xbox controller.

BUT

fighting games and 2D games are much better on DualShock. I also find certain games, like Dreams for instance (creation games?), better suited on Dualshock. But I gotta emphasize that fighting games are especially trash on Xbox controllers. It's awful.

It's all moot anyway because Nintendo made the two best controllers of all time: The GameCube and Wii U Pro controllers.