• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
That's not how this works and they tell you this when you subscribe to the service. If you have all information available and still decide not to take action, it's on you.
The point is, it could work like this. There really is no reason it shouldn't. You are the dude in the well of the "let's improve things somewhat" comic, going "you knew this when you signed up".

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
To be as generous as possible to the premise of this thread, I have found redeeming PS+ games via web or console to be a slightly annoying process. The way I try to redeem games is to find the page that has all the PS+ games together (which is a more annoying process than it should be), not individually searching for each game on offer (which is an annoying process on its own, especially with how slow the new web store is).

They could 100% make the PS+ games more readily accessible for clicking.

It's literally 2 clicks from the store frontpage to see all monthly games... Quite the process

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure it's because they pay the publishers of the games per redemption. So they'd pay out the nose for every single game if it was automatic.

Can anyone confirm this?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
You don't need the consoles to redeem the PS+ games to your account, OP. You unfortunately missed out on games you didn't need to miss out on by not using the webstore or app to redeem them.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to force stuff into your library, just let people redeem their stuff later.

The publishers have much less incentive to offer their games for free to play for subscribers if they make them available in perpetuity. I get that, but it undermines the benefit for them to offer them on the service.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
It may be that for every game redeemed Sony and Microsoft have to pay the publisher an additional fee, so there's no point paying it when console users don't want the game. I now have many games in my library that i never want to play and never want to even look at the thumbnail again! I'm going to now be a lot more discerning with what I add to my library.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The point is, it could work like this. There really is no reason it shouldn't. You are the dude in the well of the "let's improve things somewhat" comic, going "you knew this when you signed up".
Well, you did knew this when you signed up lol.
They could improve this? Yes, will they? I don't know but saying it's anti consumer when you had all information available to you in disingenuous.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want every game that's on PS Plus. There are games on PS Plus that I'd frankly want nothing to do with, so why should I want them to be auto-redeemed for me? If I want a game, I can redeem it myself.

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally 2 clicks from the store frontpage to see all monthly games... Quite the process
Multiple times I've clicked a PS+ link and had it ONLY try to sell me a PS+ sub which they know I already have. The games themselves had to be found elsewhere. Maybe that's been changed or maybe I've just learned since where to look for them, but they could easily be right there on the front page of the store.

But to be clear, overall, I'm not on the side of "just make it all automatic."

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
They could add a setting for it, but not everyone cares and they are probably fine with that. I honestly don't redeem them all the time because I don't want to him up my already cluttered library with games I won't ever play.

I would most likely turn it on and forget about it though.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Eh, everyone that subscribes to those services is aware that free offers have an expiry date.

If you fail to redeem a million dollar lottery ticket before the expiry date, then the lottery is anti-consumer?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

That's just false. You can check how many people actually have interest in those titles by the number of people adding those games to the library.
You might say "you could also check how many people started/downloaded the game" instead, but not really. I for example have a lot of redeemed games i never played/downloaded so far because of a lack of time but still I wanted them in my library for sometime later.
This of course is also important for the compensation for the devs

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This change would massively increase the cost of the programs for Sony and MS, most likely lowering the budget available to spend on the actual titles offered.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we getting so lazy now that we can't even do a few button presses on the control pad to redeem some games LOL

Yeah. I like convenience and accessibility but I tend to keep track of my active subscriptions. This never crossed my mind at all that its an issue how it is haha. Hop on my phone at any given moment then hit add. Probably never actually download them like I rarely do for Gold games.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's 1) to hope you forget, and 2) to get you to go into the store where you might find something else you're interested in buying.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This change would massively increase the cost of the programs for Sony and MS, most likely lowering the budget available to spend on the actual titles offered.
How? If they gave an option to auto-add to your library they simply make it that only when you download the game are you considered to have redeemed it and pay dev.

Honestly I'm embaressed at the piling on in this thread. Sure the OP is being bit hyperbolic but having an option to set Plus/Live to auto-add titles to your library is hardly impacting anyone. If you want to pick and chose you leave it to off. If Sony/MS want that to be the default they do that and it's on you to set it to on. It's a simple change to then have downloading the game trigger actual redepmtion/payment.

It's not even changing anything anyhow. If OP manually added all titles to his libary it's the same end result as auto-add.

I can't speak to Live but the clear difference between simply putting something in your library vs downloading it should make it easy on Plus to support this. If you drop Plus they can always have it you loose access to games you haven't downloaded and merely added to your library if they want to encourage maintaining Plus and punish dropping it.

An auto-add should change nothing as it doesn't change what you can do yourself (for the record I always add everything to my library just in case so Sony owes me lot's of titles should I chose to play them. I'm happily building up a free PS5 library for when I eventually get one much later in the year too.

There's nothing blocking a simple option to enable this at all that I can see.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You subscribe knowing one of the perks is getting a game each month and you forget to check it? You don't even use your phone to add it in 5 seconds? Sorry you lost me

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
How? If they gave an option to auto-add to your library they simply make it that only when you download the game are you considered to have redeemed it and pay dev.

Honestly I'm embaressed at the piling on in this thread. Sure the OP is being bit hyperbolic but having an option to set Plus/Live to auto-add titles to your library is hardly impacting anyone. If you want to pick and chose you leave it to off. If Sony/MS want that to be the default they do that and it's on you to set it to on. It's a simple change to then have downloading the game trigger actual redepmtion/payment.

It's not even changing anything anyhow. If OP manually added all titles to his libary it's the same end result as auto-add.

I can't speak to Live but the clear difference between simply putting something in your library vs downloading it should make it easy on Plus to support this. If you drop Plus they can always have it you loose access to games you haven't downloaded and merely added to your library if they want to encourage maintaining Plus and punish dropping it.

An auto-add should change nothing as it doesn't change what you can do yourself (for the record I always add everything to my library just in case so Sony owes me lot's of titles should I chose to play them. I'm happily building up a free PS5 library for when I eventually get one much later in the year too.

Adding the game to your library is your account acquiring the license. The publishers would need to be paid at that point.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Not only do they not auto redeem, but if you redeem the 360 titles from the Xbox One marketplace and not the old 360 page for the game, they aren't permanent as they should be.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I think they should have an option to add these games automatically. Then the people who don't want it won't complain. Seems quite simple.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The requirement that you have to use a an online shopping cart to add PS+ instant collection games to your library is "Borderline anti-consumer". 🙄

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

The business model the publishers sign up for is one where their game is free to play for subscribers who claim it during the offer period. There are ramifications if the terms change for the publishers. The difference in a publisher making their game free to play for every subscriber vs just those who claim it manually is huge. It impacts their potential future sales. Even with an auto-redeem option, it's a huge difference in the benrfit for a publisher to allow their game on the service. With auto-redeem, it becomes a lot less attractive for publishers.

The trade-off for customers for more/better games is to manually add to their library. It would be one thing if Sony/MS put up unnecessary roadblocks to redemption, but that's not the case at all. They have dedicated sections on the web and console itself in multiple places that shows what games are available and you can claim them in a few clicks. It's reasonable.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Ask yourself this; would the same number of people be redeeming these licenses be the same or different with an auto-add feature in place even if it was just an option and even if the default was set to off and you had to opt-in? The answer is no, the numbers wouldn't be the same and there would be an increase in license redemption. An increase in license redemption means an increase in cost to Sony. In order it to be the same end result, it would have to mean that there is no change in the number of redemptions. The reason people want auto-add is because they might be forgetting to redeem them which means it's not the same end result when you look at the total number of redemptions.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I have multiple friends that would hate this. They don't redeem any of the games some months and don't want it to fill up their library cause they will legit never play them. I'm of the mind that if it's on PS+ or Xbox GWG I'm adding it my library and trying it out. I do see why there's no option even though I'd love it.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Multiple times I've clicked a PS+ link and had it ONLY try to sell me a PS+ sub which they know I already have. The games themselves had to be found elsewhere. Maybe that's been changed or maybe I've just learned since where to look for them, but they could easily be right there on the front page of the store.

But to be clear, overall, I'm not on the side of "just make it all automatic."
On PS5 you have a PS+ app. And the games are literally together on the front page.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Eww, no. I'm in favor of an option to turn it on for those folks that want it, but I don't want all these garbage titles cluttering my lists. The only thing I'm getting in March between the two services is Metal Slug 3, and I'd really rather not have the rest of this stuff sitting around. Yeah, I could "hide" them, but that's effort I could just be using to redeem them if I wanted them in the first place.

Oct 31, 2017
How many minutes do you have in a month? For less than 5 minutes is too much to claim your free games?
Look I procrastinated and missed out on Bugsnax but that is my fault.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly part of this is some personal salt at having recently picked up a PS5 and not being able to redeem PS Plus titles like Bugsnax and Worms Rumble after the months they were offered, when I was already paying for my PS Plus sub for those months.
This is 100% on you. You could have redeemed those games.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's really annoying and a massive pain point. I get that on both fronts you can claim the games from a variety of platforms, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a key marketted bonus of the subscription service and haivng to manually claim them before the offer expires or risk missing the chance to get what you paid for is really annoying. Sadly it's a trend now and it's been normalized so I don't forsee it changing

Does any one know if either service doesn't give you back access to the claimed Games once you renew your membership again after having let it expire? I get that you lose access if your membership isn't active but I'm curious if the lapse between renewal wipes what you had acquired over time

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
think it's bullshit, if they can autobill ya lol. there was a period where i was dumb and missed some end of life ps3 offers and A LOT of xbox one stuff. there'd be months where i wouldnt turn on my xbox one

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
OP I agree. Think it's kind of wild the amount of people dismissing what is a pretty reasonable criticism of a service you have to pay for. "B-b-but they're giving you the choice to have less games that you pay for" is not a defensible position to me, nor is people not wanting them because Sony can't figure out their license bullshit. In the software section there's literally already a section for PS+ titles, it should automatically populate that list with every title you've had an active subscription. You're completely right and I never imagined seeing the amount of awful takes arguing with you about it.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
OP I agree. Think it's kind of wild the amount of people dismissing what is a pretty reasonable criticism of a service you have to pay for. "B-b-but they're giving you the choice to have less games that you pay for" is not a defensible position to me, nor is people not wanting them because Sony can't figure out their license bullshit. In the software section there's literally already a section for PS+ titles, it should automatically populate that list with every title you've had an active subscription. You're completely right and I never imagined seeing the amount of awful takes arguing with you about it.
The PS+ and GWG programs would straight up not have the same level of offerings they have today.

This has nothing to do with "Sony license bullshit." MS has the same system in place for the same business reasons.