Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

House Democrats are planning to impeach President Donald Trump for "incitement of insurrection," according a draft article of impeachment first obtained by CNN.

"President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government," the draft said. "He threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coordinated branch of government. He thereby betrayed his trust as President, to the manifest injury of the people of the United States."

"Wherefore President Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security, democracy, and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law," the draft continued. "President Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States."

Friday's development comes after Trump incited a violent mob of his supporters to storm the US Capitol on Wednesday and lay siege to the building as Congress was counting up the electoral votes in the 2020 election and preparing to finalize President-elect Joe Biden's victory.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
They won't even do anything until after Biden's in office. I think their goal at this point is to try and prevent him from ever running again.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Now for people to complain about it not being fast enough despite the fact that they can't do it any faster--oh wait, it's already happened.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Meta, but when did Business Insider became Era's trusted source for Trump removal news? I don't know if I've ever heard of them previously.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it ends with him never being able to hold office again I'm fine with it.

Oct 25, 2017
This 2nd impeachment would ensure he never holds a position in office again though if I'm understanding it? That definitely needs to happen.

Oct 31, 2017
Good. Force those nazi enabling scum to vote on it. Force them to stand up and squeak about how it's unfair that the monster they created is being victimised.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why Congress gets the weekend off right now. I really fucking don't get it.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This 2nd impeachment would ensure he never holds a position in office again though if I'm understanding it? That definitely needs to happen.

If the Senate chooses to convict and impose that punishment, yes.

Right now there are also some pissed off Republicans who might go for it just out of selfish reasons...to ensure they never have to face him on a ballot.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
So assuming they don't work this weekend, Trump could do whatever he wanted and they had no actions or recourses until Monday?

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

Not quite. If the Senate votes to convict, they can choose to remove him from office AND also choose to bar him from being future office. The idea that this will prevent him from holding office is based on a belief that Republicans in the Senate will vote for it this time, unlike last time.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It won't get 2/3 Senate support.
EpxCvW5WMAA5q_U

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite. If the Senate votes to convict, they can choose to remove him from office AND also choose to bar him from being future office. The idea that this will prevent him from holding office is based on a belief that Republicans in the Senate will vote for it this time, unlike last time.
I think in this case, the banning from office is part of the articles of impeachment, so the one bill passing the senate would do it

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I too yell at my wife when the groceries don't automatically appear in the cabinet when I want them.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's 5pm on a Friday.
- "Um... there's a sociopath responsible for at least 5 deaths with the nuclear codes. Perhaps we should start impeachment proceedings immediately?"

- "Yeah, guys... but it's the weekend and I'm all like 'Ugh. Let's do it Monday or whatever. I'm tired, bro!' I'm sure it'll be totes fine if we put it off."

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think in this case, the banning from office is part of the articles of impeachment, so the one bill passing the senate would do it

Hmm. Curious. I'm not sure if that would hold up, as I really think that decision is the Senate's prerogative, but I'm not a lawyer. Interesting!

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
It'll take two thirds of the senate to actually remove him from office right? What do you all think are the chances for that?