• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Already playing DbD, Friday 13th and would LOVE to see World of Horror still this year :|

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just so they don't get buried, the first page had a couple giveaways. Deadly Premonition and Urishizu's Outbreak: The New Nightmare.

header.jpg

deadly_premonition-1280x620.jpg

Edit: Whoops, I just noticed I had the no lurkers (5 posts within said thread) option toggled. Going to remake the Deadly Premonition one so that people can actually enter this time.
My bad...

Last edited:

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from CannonFodder52 CannonFodder52!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

CannonFodder52 said:
d402b07849a7d28b950728d3d099c1b6.jpg

Remade this so that people can actually join without 5 posts. Didn't notice I had that option ticked previously.

These are our awesome prizes:

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Replaying The Last of Us and RE2 Remake, and also playing bloodborne and doom (PS4) for the first time. Just downloaded amnesia collection but not sure if I'll like it. Which is better dead by daylight or Friday the 13th?

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
Just finished the opening chapter of Fatal Frame III, and it seems pretty great so far. Really digging the cozy hub house. Having the ex-fiance's room at the end of a long hall is a cool touch, feels creepy as hell going in there.

It's been years since I played III, but I remember the house sections being some of my favorite parts. God, I love this series. I really wish Nintendo would put V on sale because it's the only one I don't have yet.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's been years since I played III, but I remember the house sections being some of my favorite parts. God, I love this series. I really wish Nintendo would put V on sale because it's the only one I don't have yet.
Forgot how much I dug these games till I started up III. Just feels so great to be able to pull out a game that's practically made for me from the backlog. And yeah, the house bits so far are really cool. I dig developing haunted pictures I took and getting my housemate to research them for me.

I'd love to have any Fatal Frame representation on Switch.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hate to promote my own thing but I've been working on a 2D survival horror project called CONSCRIPT for 2.5 years now and thought I'd share it in this thread, for those interested. :)

uM6rnda.png

Conscript is basically a 2D survival horror game set during WW1, with mechanics inspired by the early RE's and SH's. I don't say that lightly, as there is limited inventory space, itemboxes, route planning, limited saves, an industrial soundtrack and weird ass puzzles.

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

If you guys are interested, please check out my Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/ConscriptGame

Aiming for a mid-2020 release. :)

As for the current horror game landscape, you cannot get better than RE2. Not only is it my GOTY, but one of my favourites of all time regardless of genre. I say this even as a massive fan of the OG version. If you haven't played it, you absolutely need to. Imo it deserves a spot up there with REmake, RE4 and OG RE2. I don't think there is a better representation of the classic RE gameplay tenets such as ammo conservation and route planning as present in RE2. Playing through Leon B on hardcore right now, and literally every move around the police station needs to be planned to accommodate for MR X's position. It basically turns the the experience somewhat into that of strategy game. Love it.
Oh man this looks awesome. WWI is such an underused setting. Looking forward to it

Edit : as far as horror games to play now I grabbed Blair Witch last night and really like what I've played so far

Nov 8, 2017
Not horror but I just finished 999 for the first time. Really good unique game and nice to kick off the Halloween season! Going back to replay it and get another ending for sure.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Not horror but I just finished 999 for the first time. Really good unique game and nice to kick off the Halloween season! Going back to replay it and get another ending for sure.
The director of 999 mentioned the Saw movies as one of his influences for the game, so I think that kinda counts. And definitely keep playing, the game (and many visual novels like this) get better the more endings you unlock.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nice! That's a pretty awesome game that I'd also say counts in the broader horror genre.
I really have to play the two follow-ups at some point. I know people specifically preach for VLR.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Awesome thread idea, OP.

Working my way through Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night at the moment and quite enjoying it tbh. Nothing amazing yet but a fun game. A friend gifted me the RE 2 remake earlier in the year and I've been saving it for this month so I'll start that up this week. I also plan on picking up Luigi's Mansion 3 on Halloween and hope to pick up A Plague Tale as well. Maybe check out Blair Witch while I still have Game Pass too.

Really excited to do my yearly playthroughs as well for October.

1 gift from CannonFodder52

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from CannonFodder52 CannonFodder52!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

CannonFodder52 said:
fb2fd36f67e09357086e9dadf0692770676f98026a68e5e87d9725c8b005a079.jpg

Personally haven't gotten to play this one yet, but it seems like one of the major horror releases of this year that's gotten a bit overlooked. Good luck!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Pathologic 2 - Won by Boddy Boddy (23 entries)

Aine

May 27, 2019
Any of you willing to vouch for Man of Medan? I never finished Until Dawn, but I did like that I played. However, I have heard some rather mixed opinions so far on this new game.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Any of you willing to vouch for Man of Medan? I never finished Until Dawn, but I did like that I played. However, I have heard some rather mixed opinions so far on this new game.
I'm also curious. Seems like reception was super mixed.
I actually liked Until Dawn. My ex and I played Until Dawn until dawn one night. That was a fun way to do it.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
For Halloween month I'm going try to beat Doom 1, II, Final Doom, and Doom 3. I scare easily.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
This is the first October without a Best Friends Shitstorm which saddens me greatly

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working on Fatal Frame 2 the past few days. I think I'm right near the end. I expect I'll have it completed tomorrow night. So far, I think Fatal Frame 1 was scarier. I feel like I have too many tools to fight back in this one and I actually go looking for fights so I can get more points. That said, I love the story and characters. They really make you feel sympathetic towards Mayu. I like having her around since there's another layer of tension with ghosts attacking her and also being discouraged from running around everywhere as quickly as possible.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've been working on Fatal Frame 2 the past few days. I think I'm right near the end. I expect I'll have it completed tomorrow night. So far, I think Fatal Frame 1 was scarier. I feel like I have too many tools to fight back in this one and I actually go looking for fights so I can get more points. That said, I love the story and characters. They really make you feel sympathetic towards Mayu. I like having her around since there's another layer of tension with ghosts attacking her and also being discouraged from running around everywhere as quickly as possible.
0kvlU04.jpg

Fatal Frame 2's atmosphere is far superior, but both are flawed classics as far as i'm concerned. Nothing really comes close in the area of Japanese folklore games.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Most of those games are not horror at all
Most? I'd say the large majority are traditional horror stuff and there's a few more fun, perfect for October & Halloween games like Luigi's Mansion and Ghost Busters.

Either way, I'd like to think horror is a pretty broad genre. A game doesn't have to be solely focused on scares to be at the table with other horror stuff. I'm happy to include games like Bloodborne, Dead Rising, The Silver Case, Luigi's Mansion and so on.

Edit: Check out Resetera's community top 51 horror games poll from last year: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ssential-horror-games-one-vote-wonders.68521/

Last edited:

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm about to finish Jake Hunter: Ghost of the Dusk. I thought it might be spooky from the text on the back of the box and knowing nothing about it but eh, not really. i just bought a copy of the Silent Hill that I'll probably move to next with Blair Witch, Man of Medan and either Dino Crisis or Parasite eve hopefully this month.

Aine

May 27, 2019
With the new price cut, I decided to give PS Now a shot and got it to run smoothly on my PC. Hot damn, are there are some nice little horror choices on there compared to Xbox game pass (House of the Dead, Until Dawn, Siren, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bloodborne, FEAR).

What really excites me is having a legitimate means to play Silent Hill 2 and 3 through the HD Collection, without paying god knows how much money tracking down physical copies online. Now, I am vaguely aware that the remastering was controversial, but I wasn't sure to what extent. Is it just straight-up unplayable?

Jul 25, 2018
What really excites me is having a legitimate means to play Silent Hill 2 and 3 through the HD Collection, without paying god knows how much money tracking down physical copies online. Now, I am vaguely aware that the remastering was controversial, but I wasn't sure to what extent. Is it just straight-up unplayable?

The Silent Hill HD Collections are straight-up bizarre, I don't know if I'd say unplayable, but they're definitely not the way I would recommend anybody try and play them, especially for the first time

There are a ton of visual glitches brought about by the fact Konami lost the source code to those games, giving the remaster developers only half-completed beta versions to base the remasters on. Fog, which is such an integral part of the Silent Hill experience is the worst hit, with the newer fog just not being anywhere close to thick enough to the point where you can see edges of the world. The FMV cutscenes are stretched out to fill the 16:9 screen and poorly upscaled, making them look incredibly bad.

Also there's the issue of the new voice acting, but I think you can just swap it back to the original cast. At least for Silent Hill 2, I'm not entirely certain about Silent Hill 3.

EDIT: Also, just because this will never not be funny (original on left, HD on right):
Di4gl0LVsAAFnos.jpg

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my replay of Silent Hill 2 last night, and am about halfway through a replay of REmake. I was glad to have gotten to see a couple more endings this time ("Rebirth" and "In Water"), with the latter really feeling like the most appropriate ending to the game's story. Despite a very strong push from RE2make earlier in the year, REmake still remains the GOAT. I regret not playing this game more regularly. Maybe now's a good time to start.

Will be starting Silent Hill 4 this week, and this one will be brand new for me - the last one of the original four SH games I haven't played yet.

Don't know if I'll get around to doing RE7 VR this month, too, but that's the hope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope I win for this game.
Good luck yo.
I personally can't wait to check out Pathologic 2 as well, but I don't think I'm going to get to it till later in the year. It seems like one of the more exciting horror titles this year. It'd be awesome if the game picked up some more publicity or buzz this October, as from what I've heard they need it.

Hour left in that raffle, if anyone hasn't entered.

Will be starting Silent Hill 4 this week, and this one will be brand new for me - the last one of the original four SH games I haven't played yet.
Nice. I got to play SH4 last year and I found it to be quite a bit better than the general impression I'd overheard over the years. The room aspect of the game is particularly fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck yo.
I personally can't wait to check out Pathologic 2 as well, but I don't think I'm going to get to it till later in the year. It seems like one of the more exciting horror titles this year. It'd be awesome if the game picked up some more publicity or buzz this October, as from what I've heard they need it.

Hour left in that raffle, if anyone hasn't entered.

I just lost~! 😭

Oh well, it's worth a shot.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
Working on Fatal Frame 5 right now. I haven't played it since release so I wanted to revisit it. I enjoy the lore and the atmosphere, but it definitely doesn't scare me like older Fatal Frames do. I'm enjoying it though.

I'll probably be through this by the end of the week, so I'll have to choose something else to play after. I was thinking Resident Evil 7, Silent Hill 2, or Fatal Frame 3. I'd love to play something new, but nothing's really coming out this month in terms of horror. I wish I could play Visage but I'm a console gamer 😭

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Silent Hill: Homecoming soundtrack. I know it's not that great of a game overall, but MAN Yamaoka made some fantastic pieces for it.

I wish Downpour had A.Y. in it. :(

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing Observer on One X through Game Pass, but the frame rate along with the FOV made it physically uncomfortable for me to play, which games pretty much never do. So instead I'm watching a playthrough of the PC version on YouTube.

I also started Metro 2033 and I plan on working my way through the series. I also plan on finally playing Alien Isolation's DLCs this month.

Another playthrough of REmake 2 is also super tempting and wouldn't take me long.

Oh, and at some point a friend is going to come over to play PT for the first time. I'm just going to give them hints to get through it in a reasonable time but beyond that they're going in blind.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I played through Resident Evil 0 this past weekend. Gameplay wise I appreciate that it does something different. It's a neat twist on the usual inventory management and backtracking that players had gotten used to by that point. Storywise I didn't find it too memorable. There was a weird dead guy obsessed with leeches that seem to be able to do anything. It's hard for me to gleam more than that. I'll be starting for the first time the universally loved Resident Evil 4 after I finish this next game. Eager to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm on Deadly Premonition now. I previously tried the PC version a few years ago but couldn't get past the art gallery due to random crashes. With Origins on Switch, I decided to give it another go and got past the art gallery. I thought it was strange even back then, but now I realize I hadn't seen shit yet. The rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper. This game manages to have its own surreal horror in spite of or maybe because of everything it does off-kilter.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
0kvlU04.jpg

Fatal Frame 2's atmosphere is far superior, but both are flawed classics as far as i'm concerned. Nothing really comes close in the area of Japanese folklore games.

I just beat FF2, and while I liked it quite a bit, I found it rather easy (I played on normal, which is the highest difficulty at the start). I entered the final area with so much film. I had over 50 of the Type-61, over 60 of the Type-90, and 5 Type-0 film. I had 29 Herbal Meds and 9 full-heals alongside a mirror to revive me. I was easily getting combos and using my Zero Lens to tear through everything.

I feel like FF2 is meant to be played on hard and I'm a tiny bit bummed out its not unlocked from the start. I think it'd shine a bit more for me if I had more difficulty/less items/more enemies. That said, the story was really good and the atmosphere is great. I feel like FF1 had a more oppressive and malicious feel to it though that I felt I was lacking from FF2. 1 felt like it had more ghosts that were full of malice or wanted revenge. 2s were more sympathetic, at least to me. I do want to play FF2 on hard but I feel doing it so soon will take away some of the tension since I know what to do and where to go. I think I'll give it a spin next halloween so it has a bit of time to fade form memory.

That said, it's lovely and I'm excited to get to 3. I hope it's more aggressive and oppressive.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Will finally (try to) go through RE7VR. Last time I tried it I was quite a bit hungover, so not only could I not handle the scares, I also got VR-sick.

Also finally, RE2 Remake. Bought it at release but just haven't gotten around to it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Only planning on getting through Blair Witch on gamepass for now, but maybe I will look at a short indie game or something. Wish I could play Devotion. :(

As for Blair Witch, I got to the point where the enemies are appearing, and definitely interesting so far. Maybe I will like it more than the movie it is based on ha ha, but it's off to a great start with Bullet. <3

Last edited:

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I'm looking at playing 1, MAYBE 2 of the following games this month if I am able.

Anyone care to offer their opinion on which I should play first?

Prey 2017
SOMA
Resident Evil 7
The Evil Within 1

Cheers,

Oct 27, 2017
I played through Resident Evil 0 this past weekend. Gameplay wise I appreciate that it does something different. It's a neat twist on the usual inventory management and backtracking that players had gotten used to by that point. Storywise I didn't find it too memorable. There was a weird dead guy obsessed with leeches that seem to be able to do anything. It's hard for me to gleam more than that. I'll be starting for the first time the universally loved Resident Evil 4 after I finish this next game. Eager to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not even the world's biggest fan of RE4 but, yeah, you're going to see a substantial jump in quality coming from RE0.

I've been playing lots of Doom lately. Finished 1 and 3 for the first times ever, and a re-play of Doom 2016. I have 2 still to play, but wish 64 was releasing this side of Halloween.

I'm definitely in the market for a new horror game (on Switch). Not sure whether to go for Amnesia or Outlast 2.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna have to grab/re-install a couple of these for my much needed horror fix for this time of year!

I cannot wait for Visage to finally get it's full release and then console release. I've been eagerly awaiting the PS4 for what feels like ages.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last week or so I've been going through the first Evil Within. Honestly the only points that I took issue with (aside some minor performance dips on the PS4 Pro) were the final boss and the boss fight in the underground parking lot. The final boss looked cool but was bizarrely the most uninspired boss in the entire game (inn a game that actually has a number of decent boss fights), and the parking lot fight only because of the instant kill move in the second phase, otherwise that was actually really fun (and was just a matter of finding a variety of weapons that worked well against it).
The rest of the game was a blast - great variety of areas to explore, decent enemies, weapons, difficulty curve etc. Just enough ammo that you could handle encounters but you really felt it when you missed a shot.

Now working on the DLC. Completed the first two bits (the Kidman stuff) and that was excellent. Aside from some trial and error in places it was another set of great encounters, new areas and some good back story to flesh out the overall plot. Oh, and the final boss here is way better than in the main game, fantastic stuff. Now just working on the executioner stuff, which has been great so far. Definitely one of my favourite horror games this gen no doubt about it. I'll move onto the sequel soon.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just gonna slither into this thread to watch it.

Contemplating what horror games to play this month, thinking of playing Project Zero 3 again to show my partner, and maybe getting Man of Medan since its on sale on PSN.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
I'm going to play through the Evil Within for the first time this month. I played the demo for 2 a bit and really liked it so I want to go back and work my way through the first one so I am caught up on the story. Any tips for a new playthrough would be appreciated!

I'll likely do the return to Yharman event too and role a new character in Bloodborne.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to play through the Evil Within for the first time this month. I played the demo for 2 a bit and really liked it so I want to go back and work my way through the first one so I am caught up on the story. Any tips for a new playthrough would be appreciated!

I'll likely do the return to Yharman event too and role a new character in Bloodborne.
For EW1 - basically I try playing it like an old school RE game - avoid what you can and certainly conserve ammo wherever possible - checkpoints are plentiful, so its worth resetting to one if you feel you wasted too much ammo.

Combat wise - you have a basic stealth kill which works when crouching behind an enemy that has not seen you. Use it as much as possible. Oh, and the game told me way too late that throwing a bottle to stun some enemies, you can also then perform a stealth kill on them by crouching and then pressing "X" on the PS4 pad. Which would have been so handy to know earlier in the game!

Aim for the head if possible to get head shots, but aiming for the leg is also good if they are running at you as they'll fall down. Then use matches to burn them (which is a one hit KO against them). Speaking of matches, its a great way of taking out certain enemies quick, and even groups of enemies if they are grouped close together (as setting one on fire can lead to more catching fire.
The agony bow rocks, but I found normal harpoons pretty worthless - explosive ones are better for crowds, especially early on while you have blinding bolts (basically like bottles, means you can follow up with stealth kills) or freeze bolts (freeze enemies solid, weaker enemies will then shatter so well worth using against enemies that can't be stealth killed).

Upgrade wise I tend to focus on health early on, with some upgrades on the pistol and shotgun (damage, ammo etc.) and bump my stamina up maybe once or twice - no more though as you'll never really find yourself needing to run that far.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
For EW1 - basically I try playing it like an old school RE game - avoid what you can and certainly conserve ammo wherever possible - checkpoints are plentiful, so its worth resetting to one if you feel you wasted too much ammo.

Combat wise - you have a basic stealth kill which works when crouching behind an enemy that has not seen you. Use it as much as possible. Oh, and the game told me way too late that throwing a bottle to stun some enemies, you can also then perform a stealth kill on them by crouching and then pressing "X" on the PS4 pad. Which would have been so handy to know earlier in the game!

Aim for the head if possible to get head shots, but aiming for the leg is also good if they are running at you as they'll fall down. Then use matches to burn them (which is a one hit KO against them). Speaking of matches, its a great way of taking out certain enemies quick, and even groups of enemies if they are grouped close together (as setting one on fire can lead to more catching fire.
The agony bow rocks, but I found normal harpoons pretty worthless - explosive ones are better for crowds, especially early on while you have blinding bolts (basically like bottles, means you can follow up with stealth kills) or freeze bolts (freeze enemies solid, weaker enemies will then shatter so well worth using against enemies that can't be stealth killed).

Upgrade wise I tend to focus on health early on, with some upgrades on the pistol and shotgun (damage, ammo etc.) and bump my stamina up maybe once or twice - no more though as you'll never really find yourself needing to run that far.

Awesome, thanks for all the great advice!