• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I cant recall any recent game where there was such a disparity in terms of GPU performance.

From the benches i dont think hes correct.
www.computerbase.de

Horizon Zero Dawn im Benchmark-Test: GPU- sowie CPU-Benchmarks, Frametimes und ein Treibervergleich

Horizon Zero Dawn im Test: GPU- sowie CPU-Benchmarks, Frametimes und ein Treibervergleich / Testsequenz und Einstellungen
The 1080Ti runs at 57.3fps average on 1440p quality settings, with a bit of setting optimization 60fps is doable.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it can 1440p/ultra at a solid 60 on a 2080ti, performance will be similar to AC Odyssey, to run that game with all settings on ultra i had to use resolution scale to 70% of 4k to maintain a stable 60fps, a little higher res on ACO but this was after many patches, when it came out the game had many problems as well.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Definitive edition, as it should be.
I guess not

I never got out of the first area on PS4, instead I just stayed there and levelled up.

I might just start over on PC at some point.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
www.computerbase.de

Horizon Zero Dawn im Benchmark-Test: GPU- sowie CPU-Benchmarks, Frametimes und ein Treibervergleich

Horizon Zero Dawn im Test: GPU- sowie CPU-Benchmarks, Frametimes und ein Treibervergleich / Testsequenz und Einstellungen
The 1080Ti runs at 57.3fps average on 1440p quality settings, with a bit of setting optimization 60fps is doable.
The minimum is 47 tho. PCGH article shows an avg/min of 42/36. I dont think a 1080ti is doing anything closed to a locked 60 even at lowest settings.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I had around 40-50fps in general in RDR2 when it first came out. This is on a 1070+i7 4770k at 1440p.

If this runs worse, they'll manage to release a port that was worse than RDR2 was, and that would be a feat.

Nov 2, 2017
I cant recall any recent game where there was such a disparity in terms of GPU performance.
It also has the worst Vega performance I've ever seen in a game. Vega 64 being barely better than a 1060 is so weird. Not even UE games have Vega perform that badly.

RDNA on the other hand seems to do better than average while other GCN cards have pretty average performance. Weird results because you'd expect GCN in general to be very strong in this game as it was made for GCN hardware. I was expecting performance profiles like Forza & RDR2 here. I guess we can blame bad porting.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Couldn't they reduce the pop-in at least a little bit? It's exactly the same as on PS4 version.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
RDNA on the other hand seems to do better than average while other GCN cards have pretty average performance. Weird results because you'd expect GCN in general to be very strong in this game as it was made for GCN hardware. I was expecting performance profiles like Forza & RDR2 here. I guess we can blame bad porting.
My guess is that these recent PS4->PC ports were actually created as spin-offs from the PS4->PS5 updates. So the main branch of this game has maybe targeted aspects of the PS5/RDNA2 that aren't as well-developed on PC (e.g. PCIe bandwidth, streaming etc)?

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully it'll see some significant updates but this has been sad to read. I was really looking forward to it.

Hope anyone actually playing it enjoys it though! It's a damn good game

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Surely something can be done about the menu UI when it comes to navigation and crafting/inventory/upgrade management.

It was awful on the PS4 and I can't believe there seems to have been little change for PC.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
My guess is that these recent PS4->PC ports were actually created as spin-offs from the PS4->PS5 updates. So the main branch of this game has maybe targeted aspects of the PS5/RDNA2 that aren't as well-developed on PC (e.g. PCIe bandwidth, streaming etc)?
This is not the reason - Death Stranding does not have the PCI-E bandwidth behaviour this game does at all and is on the same engine and will definitely get a PS5 patch/Version.

I think Occam's razor helps here. If there are a quintillion other ports that perform like X, and one port Y (HZD in this case) performs so radically different than all others. It is likely not some magic behind the scenes, rather the more likely and simpler scenario that we are dealing with a not too great port in many many ways. It has happened before (Batman AK).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This thread....

Page 1 yesterday: Looks insane! Videos and previews are incredible!
Last page today: Port is bad. Refunds everywhere!

Guess I dodged a bullet? (Though I beat it on PS4 already)

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has happened before (Batman AK).
Screen_Shot_2020-01-14_at_10.34.57_AM.jpg

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I suddenly remembered this prerelease screenshot (from the PC trailer):

2Hz83Kv.png

Does hindsight call this a complete fabrication? We now know the RX 580 ain't pulling 60fps on Original yeah?

They even claim it hit 122fps somewhere in the benchmark.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The benchmark isn't set in an area with lots foliage. It is a flyby in the desert city.
Performance there is significantly better.
Yeah the benchmark is not representative of a lot of gameplay, or representative of cutscene performance. Gameplay runs worse than cutscenes I find.
Benchmark (easy difficulty), Cutscenes (hard difficulty), Gameplay (European Extreme).

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah the benchmark is not representative of a lot of gameplay, or representative of cutscene performance. Gameplay runs worse than cutscenes I find.
Benchmark (easy), Cutscenes (medium, with some faults), Gameplay (European Extreme).

I remember being so excited seeing the Arkham Knight Benchmark results on launch day.

Then the gameplay impressions came out...

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I platinumed the game already on PS4, and was on the fence for diving back in since I liked it so much. The performance concerns are scaring me away though. I'll wait for the DF video and any news on upcoming patches.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I managed to get it for £27.99 before the price change in Steam, so will probably keep it and try it out before getting a refund.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Can't wait to see the Digital Foundry video later today. Apparently things aren't looking very good (to say the least)

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
This is not the reason - Death Stranding does not have the PCI-E bandwidth behaviour this game does at all and is on the same engine and will definitely get a PS5 patch/Version.
I guess my point is just that the weird performance issues seem to make a lot more sense if this is a port from a 'PS5 prototype of HZD' to PC than if it's a port from the PS4 version to PC. It just seems like a rather weird set of issues to appear when porting a PS4 title?

I'm not even going to guess about Death Stranding vs HZD. Maybe something will become clearer if/when Sony show us 1st party next-gen updates? (I assume they're going to at some point? but I dunno anything)

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Benchmark (easy difficulty), Cutscenes (hard difficulty), Gameplay (European Extreme).

Made me laugh because what the hell is european extreme, is this a music reference like norwegian black metal?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Cuando el río suena, agua lleva.
No es "Cuando el río suena, es porque piedras trae"? A menos que la frase varíe de región en región jajaja.

Damn, seems like this port is not good? What a shame, it's nice to see more Sony titles on PC, but hopefully this won't be the norm.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why would PS5 version of HZD need an update? It should run as is. The biggest update I can think of is them providing more options on framerate limiting (like add a 4K/60 mode or something targeting VRR TVs).
RDNA does relatively well here because the game was partnered with AMD who likely spent the majority of their support on optimizing the game for RDNA cards. GCN cards which are similar to PS4/Pro do kinda okay too. The rest underperform due to a lack of proper optimization.

Does hindsight call this a complete fabrication? We now know the RX 580 ain't pulling 60fps on Original yeah?
Well, it does scale with presets:

d7eAnnotation2020080602.png

With 5700XT reaching 73 in 1440p a 580 could probably hit 60 there in 1080p.
The problem is the instability of results it seems as they differ a lot between areas and there also seem to be a lot of hitching due to improper resource management on part of game's engine.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
No es "Cuando el río suena, es porque piedras trae"? A menos que la frase varíe de región en región jajaja.

Damn, seems like this port is not good? What a shame, it's nice to see more Sony titles on PC, but hopefully this won't be the norm.

I think it might vary by region, yes! :D

i was excited to buy the game (I was gonna use it as my filler until FFXIV's patch and then alternate) but I don't think I can play this game as it is with my 970.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There are 2 settings which have profound performance impacts - reflection quality and cloud quality, namely their highest versions (high and utlra, respectively). The settings on "prefer quality" or "high" have on average have minimal differences in framerate and visuals over medium.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 settings which have profound performance impacts - reflection quality and cloud quality, namely their highest versions (high and utlra, respectively). The settings on "prefer quality" or "high" have on average have minimal differences in framerate and visuals over medium.
Excited to hear more. Is your video still on track to drop today?