• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Well it is quite boring on the forums when you suggest companies like Sony and Microsoft make the majority of their money off of third party and services rather than exclusives. Of course their counter is the exclusives drive them there in the first place but he's right, anyone who just buys exclusives isn't the customer they are really after.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Hermen Hulst says "And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance."

Makes me think Horizon 2 is gonna be launch/close to PS5 launch. PlayStations are gonna fly off the shelves.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well it is quite boring on the forums when you suggest companies like Sony and Microsoft make the majority of their money off of third party and services rather than exclusives. Of course their counter is the exclusives drive them there in the first place but he's right, anyone who just buys exclusives isn't the customer they are really after.
But in order to sell multi-platforms in their platform they need exclusives.

Fresco Vivir

Apr 12, 2018
Well, I saw that coming while ago and I think that the longest the gap will be from releasing a game on PS5 than to PC will be 1 year at max.

Almost everyone knows that companies don't make much money from hardware these days, their hardware is a gateway they provide for you in order to get you to buy subscriptions and software. Why not target a whole new audience and double up on their profit from the software which is their main source of profit?

But they will lose fans?
no buts or Ifs consoles aren't going away not everyone can afford powerful Pc to run the games in the best possible resolution and also many people love the convenience of consoles over PC.

the question that keeps running in my mind is would sony make in the future their own game launcher for PC? or will they do some type of exclusive deals with different lunchers. When I first heard about the rumors of HZD coming to PC I always picture it coming to Epic launcher first for some reason. It really surprised me that it showed up on steam first.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But primarily PC gamers aren't going to make PS4/5 their main system just because of a few first party games. If PC gamers want exclusives, they will buy the system (sold by Sony at break even, loss, or minuscule profit) and those games (big budget, not necessarily providing lucrative profits), but not participate in the broader ecosystem. They won't be buying anything else but exclusives, with the rest on PC. Sony tried to appeal to that crowd with PS4 Pro and it hasn't pried anyone away from gaming on PC.

As an example, and I'm speaking personally: I have a PS4, and it's only for the exclusives. I don't buy anything else on it, I don't have a PS+ sub, I don't participate in their ecosystem at all. I just buy a few exclusives on disc and play them, then leave my PS4 switched off for months until the next exclusive comes around. I'd argue it's more profitable for Sony to reach me on PC than convince me to buy a console which has a business model predicated on selling the customer dozens of games and years of subscriptions. In the scenario where I buy their games on PC, I am a profitable customer. In the scenario where I buy expensive subsidised hardware and don't participate in the real money makers, I am not a particularly profitable customer.

Exclusives are good for drawing console-only people into buying PlayStation. None of that changes if Sony publishes their games on PC, because most console-only players won't even consider the PC; they want a reasonably affordable box that plays all the games they want to play. PC gamers aren't that, and Sony should probably reach that audience in the most profitable way they can. Releasing Horizon on PC is a good move to try a new way of talking to the PC crowd, and should be applauded.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Some points I've repeated ad nauseam in other threads but will do so yet again here. Food for thought.

1. Digital distribution, even on a competing storefront (Steam), is still extremely valuable due to avoiding manufacturing and shipping costs and retail cuts. It's not perfect. Ideally you buy directly from the developer (Sony and Microsoft net the greatest returns buying from their relative stores). But manufacturing and distribution alone is very expensive, and digital circumnavigates these costs.

2. Microsoft/Sony make little money on hardware sales. Bulk revenue is predominantly generated by software sales and subscription fees. In fact, hardware itself is often sold to at no gain or even a loss. Nintendo restructured their entire console business post GameCube to avoid this, the Wii selling at a profit. Business strategy does however involve seeding consoles in to homes, as enticed customers even if bringing little revenue do exist as potential revenue.

3. PC and console ecosystems are vastly different. They provide distinct end user experiences with their own unique appeal. They are largely not interchangable by virtue of their function, even if there is a small percentage of people who will give up one for the other for more appealing software or features. Generally, consoles appeal to accessibility and user friendly experiences, one dedicated to gaming and entertainment media with little complex overhead. PCs appeal to power users and multitaskers who use the platform not just for gaming, but also for a large assortment of other functions, ranging from unique and gimmicky to integral (eg: web browsing), some of which factor in gaming and many of which do not.

4. Microsoft and Sony ecosystems are largely interchanagble. This is why the two are in specifically direct competition. Microsoft want the Sony audience. Sony want Microsoft. Exclusives serve the purpose of baiting people from one platform to the other. Differences do exist in general superficialities, like controller design, online infrastructure, etc. But in this day and age, and for some time now, on a surface level they both provide the same degree of accessibility and usability for the average person, and target the exact same markets.

5. Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo as console manufacturers, and Valve/Epic/CDPR as storefront owners, make enormous profit of all software sales on their platform/service. Bulk revenue comes from all games sold on their service/platform as they receive a cut from the entire library. Every platform's library is, by a vast percentage, largely made up of third party software not owned by the aforementioned first parties. Most games on Xbox were not developed by Microsoft. Most game on PlayStation had nothing to do with Sony. And when I say most, I really, truly mean by far and large most. But to the benefit of Microsoft and Sony, they get a cut of each and every one of these games sold.

6. Ergo, long term profits for Microsoft and Sony come from people buying lots of software for their platforms, especially software they didn't develop. These companies cost hundreds of millions of dollars in operation every year, and that's just wages and ongoing projects, not to mention offsetting costs of R&D that lead to the development of these platforms. And so, for these reasons, Microsoft and Sony want you to buy into their "ecosystem". They want you to be an "Xbox gamer" who buys as many games on Xbox as possible, and vice versa for PlayStation.

7. The point I've made a thousand times now, and is important to remember, is that people who buy platforms only for exclusives, and only ever buy exclusives, are a poor source of revenue. The customer sees themselves as supporting the platform holder, buying a console that is perceived as expensive and a good batch of games. But relative to company costs and revenue generated from a single customer, these people are low value. A person who vastly prefers Xbox One for whatever reasons but also buys a PlayStation 4 and over the course of seven whole years only buys ten pieces of software has given Sony very, very little money. It seems like they have supported Sony, but they are a terrible source of revenue because they have not bought into the ecosystem.

8. PC ecosystem is not owned by a platform holder, it is dominated by competing storefronts. This, combined with the aforementioned individuality of the platform versus consoles makes it extremely difficult to transition PC gamers to the console ecosystem. There will always be people who are susceptible; most are not. PC gamers greatly tempted by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo exclusives are more likely to still purchase the hardware, and still own the platforms, but will fall into the group of people who only ever buy exclusives. Many don't subscribe to online fees. Many don't use the services. Few are buying multiplatform titles on the hardware. They are a dreadful source of sustainable revenue, even if they own the hardware and buy the latest games from Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and everyone else whenever they come out, because this still only amounts to a 2 - 5 titles a year. All the while they buy everything else, enmass, on PC.

9. Microsoft transitioned to PC for the reasons that should be obvious; if you cannot transition the market, go to the market. Far more money is to be made in the PC ecosystem from a combination of people who A) would have bought the hardware for exclusives, and B) will never buy the hardware but would buy the exclusives if available, than just group A) alongside the trivial revenue generated from the hardware sale. Porting to PlayStation is silly, as it's a directly competing to ecosystem. Porting to PC nets additional revenue from a market of people who want the games but refuse to buy console.

10. Does this impact consoles sales? The data isn't hard yet but indicators suggest no. Why? Because the notion that the PC/console hardware ecosystems are not interchangable works both ways. Majority of PC gamers wont find consoles appealing. And majority of console players wont find PCs appealing. PCs are more accessible and user friendly than they ever have been, but they're still aggressively trumped by consoles as an immediate plug-and-play entertainment device. A vast majority of console players are not packing up their Xbox and PlayStation for PC. They're not interested.

11. There are a multitude of other factors to consider in this situation, but a lot of them are ambiguous or subjective. Arguments can be made for console identity and damage of branding in marketing by multiplatform titles, but this is an emotional argument and evidence has demonstrated this is not necessarily the case in other industries. Arguments can be made that this is an attempt to entice PC gamers to buy the PlayStation 5, and that may be true and it may actually work, but there's no data to suggest it'll have them buy into the ecosystem which is the most important factor of all. It's still new territory for Microsoft but it appears to have been successful for them so far, and they continue to pursue this business model. And so, I am firmly of the belief this is Sony testing the same.

BONUS NUMBER. As a side, what we're seeing here and understanding the console business method should highlight why Nintendo do what they do. Up to and including the GameCube Nintendo was competing directly with Sony and Microsoft. This meant producing an expensive console likely sold at a loss (or break even at best), and reliant on people buying into the ecosystem, thus purchasing a lot of software, to float the company and production costs. The GameCube ultimately faltered as Sony and Microsoft gained such aggressive foothold in the standard industry model that the financial risk of following the same pattern was too costly for Nintendo. The Wii was a shift; a cheaper console using outdated hardware economically viable to manufacture and ship, priced at an appealing entry point, and sold as profit-per-unit. All the while also targeting a "blue ocean" ecosystem, one secondary to the status quo. This meant that not only did they make money every single time a unit was picked up, but the software library as a whole appealed to a new and secondary demographic, building a new ecosystem with its own sustainable revenue from both people who only owned a Wii and those who owned it as a secondary system. It was, on reflection, absolute genius business and shaped their future.

Sorry for the length.

I'm not sorry.

That is indeed a pretty good summary, but there's a caveat. Looking at the data I could find (http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ach_rate_average_player_owns_around_ten_games) it seems the attach rate is around 10 for the PS4, and it's already pretty high. So I wouldn't say that someone who buys a PS4 and is around the average in terms of software purchases has given Sony little money.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If anyone believes that this is just going to be one game. I mean, I know Sony have to be careful with messaging here but there's no chance this is the only game to do this...unless it flops, which i cant see happening.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But primarily PC gamers aren't going to make PS4/5 their main system just because of a few first party games. If PC gamers want exclusives, they will buy the system (sold by Sony at break even, loss, or minuscule profit) and those games (big budget, not necessarily providing lucrative profits), but not participate in the broader ecosystem. They won't be buying anything else but exclusives, with the rest on PC. Sony tried to appeal to that crowd with PS4 Pro and it hasn't pried anyone away from gaming on PC.

As an example, and I'm speaking personally: I have a PS4, and it's only for the exclusives. I don't buy anything else on it, I don't have a PS+ sub, I don't participate in their ecosystem at all. I just buy a few exclusives on disc and play them, then leave my PS4 switched off for months until the next exclusive comes around. I'd argue it's more profitable for Sony to reach me on PC than convince me to buy a console which has a business model predicated on selling the customer dozens of games and years of subscriptions. In the scenario where I buy their games on PC, I am a profitable customer. In the scenario where I buy expensive subsidised hardware and don't participate in the real money makers, I am not a particularly profitable customer.

Exclusives are good for drawing console-only people into buying PlayStation. None of that changes if Sony publishes their games on PC, because most console-only players won't even consider the PC; they want a reasonable affordable box that plays all the games they want to play. PC gamers aren't that, and Sony should probably reach that audience in the most profitable way they can. Releasing Horizon on PC is a good move to try a new way of talking to the PC crowd, and should be applauded.
I believe that their intention is to have more gamers buy their consoles and then buy more games(multi-platforms/exclusives). HZD seems to be an experiment/bait in this direction. Imo Hulst says it pretty clearly in his interview.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I agree but you missed the point. They make more money if you also buy third party and pay for the services like Plus. Look at the library and top sellers, it's mostly made up of multiplat titles each month. Sony cannot afford to have AAA exclusive titles every month but they use those staples to drive interest. Those who only buy those exclusives are not the best customers was the point. Now Sony is testing the PC platform more because they don't see it as a direct threat to their console. A lot of people don't like playing on PC and a lot of people don't like playing on consoles.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree but you missed the point. They make more money if you also buy third party and pay for the services like Plus. Look at the library and top sellers, it's mostly made up of multiplat titles each month. Sony cannot afford to have AAA exclusive titles every month but they use those staples to drive interest. Those who only buy those exclusives are not the best customers was the point. Now Sony is testing the PC platform more because they don't see it as a direct threat to their console. A lot of people don't like playing on PC and a lot of people don't like playing on consoles.

Ι could honestly agree with you if they could buy 100 multiplatform studios :p, but that's not gonna happen.
For now, I believe what I wrote in my previous posts. That this is a bait.
Imo the best bait for pc gamers is 60frames in most games though.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
If anyone believes that this is just going to be one game. I mean, I know Sony have to be careful with messaging here but there's no chance this is the only game to do this...unless it flops, which i cant see happening.

Yeah, if it does well, and most likely it will, I can't see this being a complete one-off. That doesn't mean the floodgates will open, but they'll likely port more games from their back catalogue.

I believe that their intention is to have more gamers buy their consoles and then buy more games(multi-platforms/exclusives). HZD seems to be an experiment/bait in this direction. Imo Hulst says it pretty clearly in his interview.

Well, they obviously can't say: "don't buy our consoles since the games will be on PC anyway", but see the post above, if the game does well, the PS5 releases and sells shitloads anyway, I doubt they'll be too worried that some extreme fanboys get pissed. The truth is the people who own both a console and a gaming PC is likely a very small segment of their consumers.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Nioh has always been $50 on PC:

niohpricehistoryqmjn1.jpg
Oh I see, I just looked up and news from the announcement and they all said 59,99.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, they obviously can't say: "don't buy our consoles since the games will be on PC anyway", but see the post above, if the game does well, the PS5 releases and sells shitloads anyway, I doubt they'll be too worried that some extreme fanboys get pissed. The truth is the people who own both a console and a gaming PC is likely a very small segment of their consumers.

Thats why it is an experiment.

Let's not forget that XBOX is for the first time introduce itself(day one) as a multiplatform console. If this fails, I don't see sony do the same.

I hope they don't tbh. I like how they treat exclusives and imo this is because they focus on one close system.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
7. The point I've made a thousand times now, and is important to remember, is that people who buy platforms only for exclusives, and only ever buy exclusives, are a poor source of revenue. The customer sees themselves as supporting the platform holder, buying a console that is perceived as expensive and a good batch of games. But relative to company costs and revenue generated from a single customer, these people are low value. A person who vastly prefers Xbox One for whatever reasons but also buys a PlayStation 4 and over the course of seven whole years only buys ten pieces of software has given Sony very, very little money. It seems like they have supported Sony, but they are a terrible source of revenue because they have not bought into the ecosystem.
Probably the most important point. Losing HW sales because of PC version is not much of a loss, you have a much bigger market now.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Let's not forget that XBOX is for the first time introduce itself(day one) as a multiplatform console. If this fails, I don't see sony do the same.

I hope they don't tbh. I like how they treat exclusives and imo this is because they focus on one close system.

Even if Xbox fails with this new approach, I wouldn't necessarily draw the same conclusions. The Playstation brand is simply much stronger worldwide.

Feb 28, 2020
It's a smart move for Sony and a good thing for the consumer, but I think the marketing terms "exclusive" and "only on playstation" should be more clearly defined in order to avoid confusion and possible frustration in the customer base.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
It's a smart move for Sony and a good thing for the consumer, but I think the marketing terms "exclusive" and "only on playstation" should be more clearly defined in order to avoid confusion and possible frustration in the customer base.

As long as they change the marketing for the game when or if it it hits pc then I think they are fine. Sony themselves might not know when or if an exclusive will make it to other platforms at the time of release. In Horizon case it's still "only on playstion" and wont change until this summer so that's when they need to stop marketing it as a exclusive and switch to their "console exlcusive" branding.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
That is indeed a pretty good summary, but there's a caveat. Looking at the data I could find (http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ach_rate_average_player_owns_around_ten_games) it seems the attach rate is around 10 for the PS4, and it's already pretty high. So I wouldn't say that someone who buys a PS4 and is around the average in terms of software purchases has given Sony little money.

Right, this data is good as it helps give perspective. Sony might be quite content with someone buying a PlayStation 5 and, over the course of seven or so years, only purchasing 10 or so games. This might be all they need to consider it a win and, if that's the case, that might be enough incentive to bait people into buying a PlayStation 5 via relative last gen ports.

The benefit for Sony with these ports though is revenue generated from PC storefronts versus loss of console ecosystem, which is the approach Microsoft took, and I suspect what Sony will be most closely monitoring. Day-and-date PC ports may never become the norm for Sony for the foreseeable future, but if the current test (or tests) produce extremely positive results in terms of PC specific revenue I can imagine it'll shape Sony's approach moving forward. EG: Horizon 2 for PlayStation 5 exclusively, then 12 months later dropping on PC because why not.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Fun fact: I used to be a console 'fanboy' warrior back in 2010 and wasted hours of my life arguing with strangers that Ps3 was the best.Turns out that people with ADHD have a chance to waste time arguing because the brain consider this exciting. After some therapy (I wanted to finish my master degree) I learned that and stopped completely.
So, his behavior, well, I've seen lot of people doing similar things back in the day, its not even the worst from what I remember lol

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder if these PC ports will effect the increased adoption of gyro/motion controls. Because default PC controls will be an Xbox controller as well as keyboard/mouse.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

If horizon doesnt sell well on PC I'll fall put of my seat. Then when shareholders and other parts of Sony see the amount of money that is being left on the table from not supporting exclusives on PC, you'll see a shift. It will literally cone from the top of Sony hq and the gaming team will just be tasked with carrying it out.

This is business not some fanboy twitter war on desks.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This is great news.

Now for the love of Kos (some say Kosm), give us Bloodborne. The best game of the generation needs that sweet 60 FPS.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The most important question everybody should be asking right now is whether the Aloy skin will be coming to Monster Hunter: World on PC.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Because there's people that's never going to buy a Playstation? So might as well make money from those people as well.

Sure. I guess I'm looking at it too much from my personal view.
Because when they'll announce that all PS exclusives will come to PC eventually, I won't buy a PS5 anymore and will stay on PC exclusively. Their exclusives are the only reason for me to buy their consoles. I'm not representative of their main consumer though, obviously, so maybe it's a good strategy.
I would be very happy if all their games come to PC, even years later.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
Awesome news, will totally go for a native 4K replay on release most likely. Probably an oddball here, but I'm so excited about these exclusives hitting PC that I don't even care that I already bought most of them and will be paying a second time to get a PC copy. Fortunately in the case of Halo MCC and the Quantic trilogy I had barely touched them on console.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I like the idea of sony releasing their games on pc, but it shouldnt be a random game here or there, they should commit, release their own launcher and launch their games about a year after original release date.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Sure. I guess I'm looking at it too much from my personal view.
Because when they'll announce that all PS exclusives will come to PC eventually, I won't buy a PS5 anymore and will stay on PC exclusively. Their exclusives are the only reason for me to buy their consoles. I'm not representative of their main consumer though, obviously, so maybe it's a good strategy.
I would be very happy if all their games come to PC, even years later.

Besides the fact that the people who buy their console only for exclusives are relatively rare, the actual money Sony would get from you is not actually that much different as you don't buy PSPlus, PSNow or any 3rd party games in their platform, and they don't make that much money on hardware sales. Sure, they'll have to pay Steam 30% (or 20 assuming it does well), but this will likely be offset by the larger audience. Besides, I guess if Sony gets serious about releasing their games on PC they might eventually create their own launcher.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I like the idea of sony releasing their games on pc, but it shouldnt be a random game here or there, they should commit, release their own launcher and launch their games about a year after original release date.
Yeap I agree. They can get a schedule with a few PS4 games and then 1 year after PS5 launch start to bring PS5 games.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
. Horizon 2 for PlayStation 5 exclusively, then 12 months later dropping on PC because why not.
Their main strength to value their studios is precisely to not have to take account of all the SATA3/Pascal audience to favor a clear cut and a maximum power pump for their first and third-party exclusives. At the PS5 launch, the percentage of the Steam userbase capable of running a PS5 exclusive won't exceed a decimal, and at the current upgrade and replacement rate (now at 7-9% of Geforce serie 20 owners), it won't be financially interesting before the PS6.

This time bruteforcing won't be easy as it was in 2013 or when porting a game like HZD made to run flawlessly on seven years old laptop hardware. In nine month the current software baseline for PlayStation software will gain 6 to 8 more GPU power, 40 to 60 fastest transfert speed and access time with a filesystem tailored for flash storage and dedicated hardware for compression/decompression, all this sided with a good Ryzen desktop CPU variant on the same SoC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with Sony now jumping into the PC sphere, all that's left is NIntendo. Breath of the Wild is one of those games that could sell like Skyrim, I think

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
60 fps+, ultrawide, and m/kb will do absolute wonders for this game. Can't wait for the summer. This will also give me something to tide me over until Cyberpunk.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Steam is a nice surprise. Think I'll double dip :). Was one of my fave games that release year. Keen to see what it looks like with all the shiny dialled up even further.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their main strength to value their studios is precisely to not have to take account of all the SATA3/Pascal audience to favor a clear cut and a maximum power pump for their first and third-party exclusives. At the PS5 launch, the percentage of the Steam userbase capable of running a PS5 exclusive won't exceed a decimal, and at the current upgrade and replacement rate (now at 7-9% of Geforce serie 20 owners), it won't be financially interesting before the PS6.

This time bruteforcing won't be easy as it was in 2013 or when porting a game like HZD made to run flawlessly on seven years old laptop hardware. In nine month the current software baseline for PlayStation software will gain 6 to 8 more GPU power, 40 to 60 fastest transfert speed and access time with a filesystem tailored for flash storage and dedicated hardware for compression/decompression, all this sided with a good Ryzen desktop CPU variant on the same SoC.

Most of those users don't even make up the usual PC Gamer anyway, they tend to play usually one game Dota 2/ Counterstrike etc.

Also in 1-2 years time the midtier GPU will be more powerful than the PS5.

Also Consoles were already underpowered in 2013, the last time Consoles were on "almost" equal footing was PS3/360 launch, and then the midtier didn't take long to overpower.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

People keep saying this and I'll believe the gap is this relatively enormous when I see it. For now, I don't. I fully expect to have my jaw blown off by PS5 exclusives, but this notion that only a tiny, insignificant, borderline non-existent percentage of the current PC audience wont even be able to run PlayStation 5 exclusives at all is just nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Especially when considering porting to PC is not, and never is (assuming the port isn't half arsed), bound to a single tier of hardware. Scaling is a factor, PC games generally allow for rendering and asset quality tweaks, and I fully expect games like Death Stranding and Horizon to demonstrate just how long (lower than the PS4, for that matter) these games can scale on archaic hardware. This includes resolution, which naturally is a major factor PC scaling and offers huge performance gains (and costs) where consoles are generally set for whatever they are.

I don't doubt it won't be as easy, and I fully expect Sony's first party games to milk every drop of the PlayStation 5 architecture to produce visually outstanding titles. I think the integration of the SATA3 drive in a way that only the most expensive cutting edge PC configurations can benefit from will be a huge benefit to games that make use of it.

But I also don't expect it to be anywhere near as clear cut as you're presenting. I'm more than happy to eat crow (the benefit there being the games are gorgeous and I will play them on my PlayStation 5, haha), but this notion the PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Next is this tremendous, unfathomable, incomprehensible leap in hardware over the PC market is just a romanticism of hardware. And even if the gap is there, PC hardware will quickly catch up and, like I said, scalability exists precisely to permit lower tier PCs (assuming the PS5 is so cutting edge that it really does negate most of the PC landscape) to run the software.

That's also why I didn't argue day-and-date though. It could drop 24 months after the fact. I cannot fathom a scenario where the PlayStation 5 exists in some special performance space 24 months after launch that only $4000+ PCs can compete. It makes no sense to me, logically, given the trajectory of hardware and that Sony are bound by the same constraints as everyone else. Again, happy to eat crow, but we'll see.

For all I know, and I was trying to imply this in my post, Sony may legitimately think that the PlayStation 5 is outrageously ahead of PC and people will buy the hardware exclusively for Horizon 2. And all of this, all of this, might be absolutely 100% true. It might be, and people may. But PC gamers still wont, by and large, uproot their ecosystem and transition to PlayStation 5 until PlayStation 5 is basically a PC. It's not a compliment or criticism, it's just highlighting how different the devices are and the reasons people use them.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Cool. I own a PS4 base PS4 and it hardly gets used. I'm guessing Until Dawn might be next because that runs on Decima too. Plus it's been free on PS+ in the past.

Speaking of, why not port games that have been literally free, and potentially charge $40+ for them again? God of War is bargain bin-tier atm (seen it go for $4-5 on most sites), Bloodborne was free on PS+ and it's a 2015 games for Christ sake, etc.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Does this automatically mean that there is potential for modding? This game could be blown wide open with some fascinating mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.