• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
But by all accounts and enthusiasm in media and fans alike, it's certainly a possibility! Would put it as one of the GOATs. Basically RockStar, Bethesda and BOTW are the only open-worlds 93+ I believe?
MGS5 as well but that game was hard carried by it's gameplay. The open world was so barren and empty.

Rincewind81

Aug 20, 2019
It's pretty rare an open-world title hits the 90's -- there's so much that can go wrong and so much variation in what audiences value. Too much on the map, not enough on the map, things that feel a little broken in one sub-area that brings down an experience. Prone to bugs early on because there's so many variables that are impossible to anticipate, no matter how thorough the QA.

They are incredibly confident giving the game out to reviewers weeks(!) before release and lifting the embargo several days early. They know that the game is good and that there won't be a problem if reviewers spent "to much" time with the game and the open world.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
It's pretty rare an open-world title hits the 90's -- there's so much that can go wrong and so much variation in what audiences value. Too much on the map, not enough on the map, things that feel a little broken in one sub-area that brings down an experience. Prone to bugs early on because there's so many variables that are impossible to anticipate, no matter how thorough the QA.

Yeah, a 90+ MC seems like an overly optimistic prediction for HFW, I'd be positively surprised if that happened.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is all I want too. :( I don't think it will be in.
Literally playing all of Zero Dawn with gyro aim right now on PC but Sony's premiere console and controller on their newest game I can't...

Exactly! That's my current situation too, playing through ZD on my Steam Controller and it's heaven. I've honestly tried to go back to twin stick aiming to prepare myself for FW but I really struggle to hit the targets on the robos with it. Gyro aim feels so natural and super accurate.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
PS4 running HFW.
5hg4mz.jpg

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly! That's my current situation too, playing through ZD on my Steam Controller and it's heaven. I've honestly tried to go back to twin stick aiming to prepare myself for FW but I really struggle to hit the targets on the robos with it. Gyro aim feels so natural and super accurate.
🙏 I also use my steam controller. So good.
I got through Returnal and Ratchet but yeah I always wished for it, would've just made the games better.
TLOU 2 was fantastic since they had it, been hoping other Sony games put it in now but have been disappointed.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I'm thinking also 89-92, Why?
Because this team can innovate and do new things in the open world genere and make existing boring mechanic as a fun things (I.e Ubisoft towers).
I hope they don't make the map too big and make it like previous game.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm thinking also 89-92, Why?
Because this team can innovate and do new things in open world genere and make exciting boring things as a fun things (I.e ubisoft towers).
I hope they don't make the map too big and make it like previous game.

It's about the same size map as the previous game, IIRC. Also, looks like the main quest line takes about the same amount of time (25-30h-ish) if you're sticking to it linearly.

It just has a lot more side stuff to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| The Sound of Sylens
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Mechanical Life, uh, Finds a Way
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| A New Dawn
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Rise of the Machines

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
But by all accounts and enthusiasm in media and fans alike, it's certainly a possibility! Would put it as one of the GOATs. Basically RockStar, Bethesda and BOTW are the only open-worlds 93+ I believe?
No. MGS5, The Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Minecraft, Forza Horizon, Batman ... I am sure there are more.

I still don't think that this will score over 90 because of "ubisoft open world".

EDIT: Somehow I read 93+ as 90+ ... so forget some of my games. I think Witcher, MGS5, Batman, Minecraft and original Xenoblade on Wii are all 93+ though.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Once Upon A Time In The West
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Westworld
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| For A Few Shards More
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| How The West Was Won

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
No. MGS5, The Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Minecraft, Forza Horizon, Batman ... I am sure there are more.

I still don't think that this will score over 90 because of "ubisoft open world".

Being pedantic but they said 93+, which means MGSV and Witcher 3.

I also expect this to struggle to get over 90. The traversal and combat look fantastic and, along with the polish, it will be enough to get it to the 85-90 range.

But that is not enough any more to make an open world game stand out.

Getting to 90+ is going to 100% hinge on the story, quests and characters.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
90+ on MC has very little to do with mechanical or even narrative competence, else no Bethesda game would have ever gotten there, BotW certainly wouldn't be there, MGSV wouldn't be there, TW3 wouldn't be there. All of those have massive flaws.

It's about having some "hook".

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's about the same size map as the previous game, IIRC. Also, looks like the main quest line takes about the same amount of time (25-30h-ish) if you're sticking to it linearly.

They said it is "a little bit bigger" than the world map of the first game. I assume that includes the Frozen Wilds map. If that is the case we look at a good size imo.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Even tho as I'm extremely excited about the game and confident on Guerrilla improving a lot from the first one, I really don't think it will be 90+, simply because it's open world, and it's not produced by Nintendo/Rockstar. It will be probably labeled as "a better and more polished Ubisoft open world, but nothing that revolutionizes the formula" or something like that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We'll see if Performance Mode maintains Ray Tracing and all the extra graphical features.

I suspect that 1440p/60fps will be like the PS4 PRO version at 60 fps, and Quality mode the mode with all the PS5 bell and whistles.
There is no Ray tracing in a traditional sense in the game.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've been begging Guerrilla about this for months and get nothing.

It's honestly ridiculous. The controller has a gyro, it's a game about precise aiming to take down machines. It's a no-brainer to include it as an option at least. But I also don't want to wait 3 years for the PC port to do it myself.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Once Upon A Time In The West
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Westworld
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| For A Few Shards More
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| How The West Was Won
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| The Sound of Sylens
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Mechanical Life, uh, Finds a Way
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| A New Dawn
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Rise of the Machines
Not to sound too dismissive, but it's gotta be: Horizon Forbidden West |OT| In you, all things are possible

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
90+ on MC has very little to do with mechanical or even narrative competence, else no Bethesda game would have ever gotten there, BotW certainly wouldn't be there, MGSV wouldn't be there, TW3 wouldn't be there. All of those have massive flaws.

It's about having some "hook".

Skyrim doesn't count because it perfected the fantasy open world genre. Every game since has been trying to emulate some of that with, yes, its own "hook" but often that's not enough.

BotW succeeded because it was unlike other open world games and had an amazing world that rewarded curiosity. It's not exactly a realistic looking game either so it gets away without having a compelling story.

Witcher 3 succeeded because it leaned heavily on its interesting quests, characters and wonderfully realized lore.

MGSV succeeded thanks to narrative and player freedom.

Ghost of Tsushima failed to get even into the high 80s because it fell into the trap all Ubisoft titles fall into, despite having its own "hook" or two. It tried to give you everything the above titles offered but handicapped itself at every opportunity. Story with great potential but poor execution. Inviting world that drew curiosity but the game mostly took away player freedom.

Horizon has the potential to succeed here too but I, personally, believe it needs to nail the quests to get there.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Ghost of Tsushima failed to get even into the high 80s because it fell into the trap all Ubisoft titles fall into, despite having its own "hook" or two. It tried to give you everything the above titles offered but handicapped itself at every opportunity. Story with great potential but poor execution. Inviting world that drew curiosity but the game mostly took away player freedom.

Strangely enough, Tsushima's DE is at 88 with 72 reviews.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Should be able to try Forbidden West when it comes out, so i booted up Frozen Wilds since i never played it... wanted to prepare myself story wise or something.. i dunno, then i reach this point...

0m4I8ES.jpg

Seriously? I need to do all this shit just to progress the story? Fucking pigments collecting and bandits camp clearing???

Also one look at this sent cold sweat down my spine...
cUiWrwC.jpg

Is there any good reason to endure this quest bullshit to reach the end of the DLC?

Honestly, i am not sure why i played original game so much when it came out lol... i guess i played too much actually good games lately so shitty game design like that is just super irritating now.

Sorry for random rant.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Should be able to try Forbidden West when it comes out, so i booted up Frozen Wilds since i never played it... wanted to prepare myself story wise or something.. i dunno, then i reach this point...

0m4I8ES.jpg

Seriously? I need to do all this shit just to progress the story? Fucking pigments collecting and bandits camp clearing???

cUiWrwC.jpg

Is there any good reason to endure this quest bullshit to reach the end of the DLC?

Honestly, i am not sure why i played original game so much when it came out lol... i guess i played too much actually good games lately so shitty game design like that is just super irritating now.

Sorry for random rant.

eh, it says do "two" of the following. Since you already did one, you just need one more. Do the tallneck one, it's cool and done in 10 minutes.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
Horizon Forbidden West |OT| Gyno Crisis

Based on the word origin from Greek, meaning "woman", NOT the gynecologist.
Not to be meant sexist or mysogonistic, it's simply a pun on "Dino Crisis" and our strong female protagonist Aloy has yet to solve another crisis regarding mecha dinos.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

0m4I8ES.jpg

cUiWrwC.jpg

Sorry for random rant.

Don't think you've highlighted the quest correctly per your map. You only need to do two of those quests, didn't take me long, just did it last week.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
eh, it says do "two" of the following. Since you already did one, you just need one more. Do the tallneck one, it's cool and done in 10 minutes.
Don't think you've highlighted the quest correctly per your map. You only need to do two of those quests, didn't take me long, just did it last week.
Oh damn... alright i totally missed that part. That's doable! Thanks