• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer?

• Quality

Votes: 1,222 42.3%
  • Performance

Votes: 1,668 57.7%

• Total voters

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Just an aside, I find the terminology for these options constantly confusing. Maybe a quirk of my brain-type, and just something I found interesting rather than a complaint exactly. 'Performance' and 'Quality' seem to me to be terms used with the intent of making them both sound as appealing as possible. Yes, they mean what they mean; but they also seem at pains to place that meaning in its best possible light, at the expense of getting as quickly and clearly to the heart of that meaning (and distinguishing one from another in the most obvious way possible - like 'Speed' and 'Detail' would, just as examples).

I wouldn't have to think about that at all; those are obvious polar opposites, in context. But 'Performance' and 'Quality' just sound like 'Awesome' and 'Brilliant' to me. And I have to spend a moment, every single time, figuring out the underlying sense of each term :-)

On-topic ... I'm interested in this, as someone still waiting to get a PS5 (in terms of funds as well as supplies). I loved H:ZD and believe I played in 'Performance' mode for the most part. I'm disappointed to keep reading that the options for H:FW seem to be pleasing no-one all that much. Although on the upside, it's possible things will have changed by the time I do eventually get to play.

Edit: And as most recent replies seem to indicate 'Quality' mode is working much, much better than it used to. That's also positive. But I do tend to lean more towards smooth framerates ...

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have to think about that at all; those are obvious polar opposites, in context. But 'Performance' and 'Quality' just sound like 'Awesome' and 'Brilliant' to me. And I have to spend a moment, every single time, figuring out the underlying sense of each term :-)
In the game, they're called "Resolution mode" and "Performance mode". OP either misremembered or assumed users would be able to tell which was meant by which.

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the game on quality after playing through Zero Dawn (at 60fps on PS5). I adjusted some of the camera turning speed settings and motion blur settings until I found something that worked better for my TV (LG C1) and played it happily at 30. I wouldn't say no to an Insomniac style 40fps mode but the game remains absolutely fantastic to look in quality mode and I'm glad I saw every minute of it that way.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
In the game, they're called "Resolution mode" and "Performance mode". OP either misremembered or assumed users would be able to tell which was meant by which.
Ah, really? Thank you, I appreciate the clarification! And here we still are, 3 months and 16 pages later ...

'Resolution' is of course much clearer. I'm not sure if having one side of the equation be clearer than the other is more, or less helpful ... But again - I'm putting this all down to the workings of my silly brain.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Just an aside, I find the terminology for these options constantly confusing. Maybe a quirk of my brain-type, and just something I found interesting rather than a complaint exactly. 'Performance' and 'Quality' seem to me to be terms used with the intent of making them both sound as appealing as possible. Yes, they mean what they mean; but they also seem at pains to place that meaning in its best possible light, at the expense of getting as quickly and clearly to the heart of that meaning (and distinguishing one from another in the most obvious way possible - like 'Speed' and 'Detail' would, just as examples).

On-topic ... I'm interested in this, as someone still waiting to get a PS5 (in terms of funds as well as supplies). I loved H:ZD and believe I played in 'Performance' mode for the most part. I'm disappointed to keep reading that the options for H:FW seem to be pleasing no-one all that much. Although on the upside, it's possible things will have changed by the time I do eventually get to play.

Edit: And as most recent replies seem to indicate 'Quality' mode is working much, much better than it used to. That's also positive. But I do tend to lean more towards smooth framerates ...

You don't think 'frame rate ' and 'resolution' are the more obvious words?

Also been mentioned plenty of times before but don't forget to turn camera speed down q little when playing quality mode on an oled, makes a world of difference

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did end up playing most of the game in the quality mode, all the shimmering was just way too distracting. Disappointing they couldn't get it fixed

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
I'm currently playing through in performance mode as I generally appreciate frame rate over IQ. I switched to quality and it must have glitched as it was an unplayable mess.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
amen, did they mention any specifics?
None at all, just this single slide, but it's a hefty update with new difficulty options and transmog, so the fact that they felt the need to put this in there makes me feel like it's going to be a substantial improvement.

klNy6CZ.png

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see the fidelity improvements - this game has been shelved for a while due to ER and some other stuff.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised by the performance mode upgrades. Only ran around for 5 minutes, but the visual shimmering and weird halo on NPC's faces look to be gone altogether.

1perfd7jr3.jpg

2perfm4kbq.jpg

3perfnajmi.jpg

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Wow Guerrilla Games redeemed! Nice job! VRR and 40 fps mode are also incoming. Really nice!

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for posting. Id ended up holding off my run due to the dilemma over modes, now I can happily play on performance, as I wanted.

Yeah, screenshots don't do the improvements justice. I'd say it's a day and night difference between now and pre-patch. The shimmering & halo effect is gone, AF works properly, and I feel like there is a huge resolution bump as well. Need Digital Foundry for proper analysis though :)

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
Wow shimmering is gone and the image looks crispy.
But at this point I might continue with resolution mode and wait for the 40fps mode.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
glad to see those improvements. Performance mode was really hard on the eyes with the shimmering, bad AA solution.

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried the patch using performance mode.

They have completely resolved the awful shimmering.

Wonder if they've used a decent TAA solution now as the IQ is up there with other first party studio titles.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Anyone have a before and after screen shot, or is it something you need to see in motion to see the difference.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a substantial improvement for performance mode. I wonder if the VRR patch will also allow the frame rate to run free up to 120.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome !

Been so busy with work have not really played anything but this is first on my list to get into!

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Wonder if they've used a decent TAA solution now as the IQ is up there with other first party studio titles.

According to PS Blog:

we've revamped Temporal Anti-Aliasing to improve the visual fidelity of our Performance mode on PS5 and rendering on PS4 Pro. We're already working on an upcoming patch which will include VRR support and a 40FPS Mode, so stay tuned for more.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That is awesome news but I'll also wait for 40fps mode. my new go to mode in console games. Hoping all first party adopt it. I also hope they made Quality mode super sharp again?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

It was puzzling since HZD on PS4 Pro had an amazing IQ with the checkboard solution, while running at 30 FPS. Doubling the FPS is very beneficial for the reconstructed solutions since you have double the pixels for reconstruction. But other studios like IG have arguably superior reconstrution solutions.

It really is a substantial improvement for performance mode. I wonder if the VRR patch will also allow the frame rate to run free up to 120.

It should. There are likely GPU cycles unused considering it's a hard lock 60 FPS in performance.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious to see if there isn't a massive difference in image quality now between performance and quality. That was always what stood out for me, where performance mode just seemed to drop in resolution too much (and would get worse depending on scene complexity)

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
My TV doesn't support 120fps or VRR, so no reason to wait around for a 40fps mode. So glad I waited for improvements before returning to the game, and good on Guerilla for not giving up on it!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Just bought the game, just to check out the graphics. Open world games are meh but I need to check it out now (graphics whore 😹). Looking forward to VRR as well. Post launch support is a great thing, kudos to Guerrilla!

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Still not picked up the game but getting more and more tempted each passing week. Few more games to go through before I'm ready for a new one so I'll probably wait on the 40fos mode as it felt really good in Ratchet