Gothar

Jul 7, 2021
Dallas
I can't find it now of course, but I thought one of the reasons HZD didn't have flying mounts was because the PS4 couldn't handle it... Would be a shame if the PS5 version doesn't get it with HFW because of cross-gen.

It becomes a very different game when you add the ability to just fly everywhere you want so yeah, it's possible that the flying mounts people are envisioning (hop on a Stormbird and fly across the entire map) may just not be something they want. I'm still not convinced that flying mounts are completely absent, those Sunwings or whatever look perfect for being able to cross short distances or easily reach certain heights to avoid having to climb 100% of the time, and that can be done on PS4

I'm in the same boat. I think the devs don't want to offer flying mounts. It would be a largely different game and if the machine denisty is anything like it was on HZD, then it would be rough to address that. I did some attacking from the tops of long necks in HZD and was trivially simple due to machines view radius AI and maneuverability on the head...I just don't think this is something the devs wanted to figure out right now.

Jul 18, 2021
Locked 30 FPS is better than "targeted 60FPS" in most cases though. a stable frame rate is king.

Sony always says targeting 60 fps even if its locked because someone sued them over it.
Exactly.

And people were thinking 60FPS is the norm for next-gen when even cross games struggle ...
Games don't "struggle". It's a choice developers make.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm in the same boat. I think the devs don't want to offer flying mounts. It would be a largely different game and if the machine denisty is anything like it was on HZD, then it would be rough to address that. I did some attacking from the tops of long necks in HZD and was trivially simple due to machines view radius AI and maneuverability on the head...I just don't think this is something the devs wanted to figure out right now.

Obviously there can be a difference between what they want generally and what they want in terms of their game design.

The problem with Horizon's open world was that it was a lot of space with little varity/detail, adding big flying mounts allowing you to bypass it doesn't solve the problem - actually might make it worse if they feel they need to make the map bigger to have them be useful. I actually hope the map is a little smaller than the first game and it's just more dense. Smaller flying mounts would still be a great benefit without them having to spread things out more.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully gyro aiming is also in the game. The lack of it in the first game really held back the combat for me.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That OP is a bit misleading talking about RT when we don't know if that's being used on the graphics side.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, that blue jelly looking water exclusive to PS5 looks to be the same in GOWR too so they must have shared the same techs for next gen PS5.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Locked 30 FPS is better than "targeted 60FPS" in most cases though. a stable frame rate is king.

And people were thinking 60FPS is the norm for next-gen when even cross games struggle ...

giphy.gif

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
My takeaway is that this is just a PS4 game running at a higher resolution/framerate with some minor upgrades unique to the new hardware. Jim's "built from the ground up" comment is just more PR spin. I wasn't really expecting more after the cross-gen announcement, and I'm confident it's still going to be great, but can't help feeling disappointed.

I hope they have an option to disable the "cinematic lighting rig" on PS5. It just makes her glow in a completely unnatural way, especially when she's standing in shadow. I had a hard time not noticing it in the gameplay reveal.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
My takeaway is that this is just a PS4 game running at a higher resolution/framerate with some minor upgrades unique to the new hardware. Jim's "built from the ground up" comment is just more PR spin. I wasn't really expecting more after the cross-gen announcement, and I'm confident it's still going to be great, but can't help feeling disappointed.

I hope they have an option to disable the "cinematic lighting rig" on PS5. It just makes her glow in a completely unnatural way, especially when she's standing in shadow. I had a hard time not noticing it in the gameplay reveal.
So far that has not being true for any PS5 release from Sony I have no idea where this came from. Also you just ignored pretty much everything in the OP for whatever reason.

Last edited:

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
So far that has not being true for any PS5 release fro Sony I have no idea where this came from. Also you just ignored pretty much everything in the OP for whatever reason.
GT7 has confirmed it is exactly the same game at higher quality in the settings and anything like ray tracing is only in photo mode/replays. Physics/AI etc... are all the same - the only real differences are fast loading and adaptive trigger "gimmicks" - everything is the same running at higher res/framerate/quality etc... all the same stuff they mention for Horizon apart from the lighting rig (which is in cinematics in PS4) and better water? (without knowing the details of that, it wont be a huge difference as they are the same game) - so yeah he is correct in that, unless something radically different happens here, they are PS4 games running at better resolution and frame rate with some small hardware specific upgrades, there is nothing different gameplay wise

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Don't know if I needed a blog post to tell me that the PS5 version will have faster loading and Dualsense features.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
These kinds of next-gen "features" really are just...so empty to me. I thought this gen was going to improve games creatively, not just slightly bump up the tech level.

They really need to move on from cross-gen ASAP and start making games specifically for the new consoles.
Look at games like Forspoken or Death Loop for stuff like that. Not multiple games that started development for a nearly ten year old console.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if I needed a blog post to tell me that the PS5 version will have faster loading and Dualsense features.
All dualsense features are not the same we had plenty of topics detailing features of various games. Also this is not a blog post

If you dont want to know this info thats fine others do.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
If it's gonna support gyro, they probably wouldn't say so in a post about PS5-exclusive features (though it likely won't)
While technically you're right it's not ps5 exclusive I still think it would've been mentioned as an additional detail somewhere since it's still really not normal for playstation games to have that option. So still new for a lot of people

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
the real question is if we are gonna have a Performance RT mode like Insom games.

I really dont mind cranking down the resolution to get all the bells and whistles while at a smooth framerate. Especially when the res is still pretty decently high

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
These kinds of next-gen "features" really are just...so empty to me. I thought this gen was going to improve games creatively, not just slightly bump up the tech level.

They really need to move on from cross-gen ASAP and start making games specifically for the new consoles.

Can't really change up the game design all that much when it's cross-gen sadly.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the price match feature on PSN? You know, since it's gonna be a free upgrade and all.

Jul 2, 2021
I can't find it now of course, but I thought one of the reasons HZD didn't have flying mounts was because the PS4 couldn't handle it... Would be a shame if the PS5 version doesn't get it with HFW because of cross-gen.
Yeah when I read the thread title I was expecting that not like general ps5 features.
Cross-gen games are the same games. One is just prettier with better performance (and DualSense features). It's not like you're getting a different game because you play it on the PS5.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Price match feature?
I'm making (a poor) joke about how on PSN they are still selling the PS5 version for $70 even tho they've said PS4 version will give a free upgrade to the PS5 version. They haven't even put that on the PSN page for the PS4 version so I expect a lot of people to pay $70 for HFW on PS5 without knowing the PS4 version at $60 will give them the upgrade.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Oh, that's news to me. Do all publishers handle it like this now? Can they be sued for minor drops? "Targeted 60FPS" always felt like a marketing term to sugar cost fluctuating FPS.
Someone else might have mentioned this already but Sony has been very careful in its wording for things like this since they faced a lawsuit over Killzone: Shadow Fall not being native 1080p in all game modes. The case was thrown out, but since then they've been more careful about using words like "targeting" and "dynamic", etc.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The Dualsense is awesome when done right it's an innovation. I expect FW to have a great implementation. Hit us with some cool underwater haptics GG.

Will be interesting to see the DF PS4/PS5 comparison. I expect the usual stuff like foliage, water, and draw distance to take a hit: but it'll still be a great ps4 port.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Yeah. After playing a game for over 9 hours one particular weekend, my controller really started drifting. I felt the middle of the controller (not the part where I was grasping) and it was particularly warm. One suggestion online said to turn off all the extra stuff in the controller to reduce heating and possibly solve drifting. The drifting problem did improve somewhat, but did not go away completely.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. After playing a game for over 9 hours one particular weekend, my controller really started drifting. I felt the middle of the controller (not the part where I was grasping) and it was particularly warm. One suggestion online said to turn off all the extra stuff in the controller to reduce heating and possibly solve drifting. The drifting problem did improve somewhat, but did not go away completely.
Ahh I see. I had no idea.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The middle of the controller is where the battery is, it's likely that heating up, it might be a bit dodgy if it's getting very warm constantly, but if it's just after very long sessions or charges it's probably nothing to worry about too much. Though you should probably get it replace regardless due to drift.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018

I agree 100%.
Everything on PS5 so far is basically

- better, faster graphics (more particles, detail, better lighting & reflections)
- faster loads

plus the haptics which are nice and all, but

I'm waiting to get excited to see anything new that is pushing game design creatively. It can all be done on PS4, just with reduced graphic fidelity. Even AI is not improved.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
the real question is if we are gonna have a Performance RT mode like Insom games.

I really dont mind cranking down the resolution to get all the bells and whistles while at a smooth framerate. Especially when the res is still pretty decently high
I think RT is used for audio, so I expect this to be available at 60FPS as well.

I feel like the industry has been doing this song and dance since console inception. It's never the case. It's always just better and faster tools and more shit on screen.
That's just false, especially if you meant what console generation's bring in general and not just cross gen games. But even if you focused on cross gen games, your statement is false. After all games like FH2 or Shadow of Mordor had gameplay changes on next gen consoles. To be fair, cross gen games with different gameplay are rare. But they absolutely do exist.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I can't wait for this. Aloy is one of my favourite characters in gaming after the first one.

I might play through H:ZD and the expansion again in 60fps on my PS5 over the holidays to hype up for this.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the targeting 60fps mode is going to be pretty damn solid, especially for a game like this. I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm waiting to get excited to see anything new that is pushing game design creatively. It can all be done on PS4, just with reduced graphic fidelity. Even AI is not improved.

I would argue that game design generally has been at a standstill since basically the PS2 (or the early PS3) era, especially in the AA(A) space. But that makes sense since a lot of concepts are derivatives of earlier work. For many games and franchises it has been been "more of the same" for years; I think you need to look at the 'indie' space for more creative / out of the box ideas.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
"it'll vibrate funny when you shoot an arrow"

boy it sure was worth going through all that headache to get a ps5 early..