• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Shea Whigham waving his arm to keep the one little light on in the endless warehouse is so good. I loved all the held long takes through the credits, great atmosphere during those.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing show. Great soundtrack, performances, and cinematography. The story is a bit on the simple side, but I find that preferable to getting caught up in too many threads or twists that get really dumb. Wasn't too big a fan of Mr. Robot, but Esmail's style works better here where the episodes are only ~24-30 mins. In fact, I didn't even realize the episodes were shorter than the typical TV drama/thriller at first. Definitely check it out!

Edit: I don't know if there's some proper term for them, but I love the "extended" endings to each episode that the credits run over.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
That was better than I expected. You can definitely see the podcast orgins (i haven't heard the podcast). It does feel like something that would be a good podcast and then adding in good visuals from esmail. I liked the 30 minute format and the extended end scenes.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it. Absolutely great. Never heard the podcast, just saw some recommendations on this and thought the trailer looked really nice. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, and I loved how the did the -

Format change when she sees the truth. I figure it's a metaphor for how she wasn't seeing the big/whole picture until that moment. Reminded me a bit of Memento, in how they go from B&W to color in the reveal.

-I wonder if they do anything similar to this in the podcast.

The ending was also very good.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Shea Whigham waving his arm to keep the one little light on in the endless warehouse is so good. I loved all the held long takes through the credits, great atmosphere during those.

Kind of reminds me of credits from the Police Squad!/Naked Gun TV show.

tumblr_mzd4hb0opM1qeu5who5_r1_250.gif

5WIB.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 2 episodes and it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Someone, please tell me, if there's a big conspiracy twist or something that starts to pick up soon? Like I know something weird is going on, but so far it hasn't been enough to grab my attention. The most interesting thing I saw was the phone call in the first episode...

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Esmail is the only thing that caught my attention. Dude is amazing with Mr. Robot although he also writes that show as well

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the first 2 episodes and it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Someone, please tell me, if there's a big conspiracy twist or something that starts to pick up soon? Like I know something weird is going on, but so far it hasn't been enough to grab my attention. The most interesting thing I saw was the phone call in the first episode...

The podcast was more engaging early on. I don't think they are handling Colin Belfast well. Nothing against the actor though. He had much bigger impact in the podcast earlier on.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's something about this show's mix of paranoia and bureaucratic banality that made me think it was based on a Philip K Dick novel. The Thomas Carrasco character in particular struck me as a protagonist straight out of his early novels.

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly where we're at with the same impressions. Will give it two more episodes because at 30 min it is a low investment. But it has got to pick up a bit.give me a reason to keep watching.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
So like... watch 2 of them at a time? Or is this a "but this one goes to 11" situation?

I won't criticize a decision to go with 30m episodes vs 60/etc, but there can absolutely be a pacing/arc difference depending on structure and production design.

Like, if you took True Detective Season 1 and chopped it directly into twice the episodes at half the length, it would really screw with things. The start/stop nature, credits, soundtrack and fades, all of it can either be fitting or constraining. Imagine half hour GoT lol, it would be aggravating as hell.

Given that this isn't a bunch of rookies we're talking about with this show's creative talent, I bet it's probably fine and not a problem, though it may be interesting while watching to consider what it might have been like with hour long episodes.

Oct 28, 2017
I won't criticize a decision to go with 30m episodes vs 60/etc, but there can absolutely be a pacing/arc difference depending on structure and production design.

Like, if you took True Detective Season 1 and chopped it directly into twice the episodes at half the length, it would really screw with things. The start/stop nature, credits, soundtrack and fades, all of it can either be fitting or constraining. Imagine half hour GoT lol, it would be aggravating as hell.

Given that this isn't a bunch of rookies we're talking about with this show's creative talent, I bet it's probably fine and not a problem, though it may be interesting while watching to consider what it might have been like with hour long episodes.

Overly long is what comes to mind when thinking about any of these episodes being longer than 30 minutes.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Overly long is what comes to mind when thinking about any of these episodes being longer than 30 minutes.

Imagining it told with hour long episodes doesn't necessarily mean stretching content to double lol, I mean like would the content that makes up two of these 30m eps make up a reasonable continuous episode?

I haven't seen it so I have no idea what it would be like :)

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I'd watch it. The banality It would become grating in an hour. It's very lean and to the point. Each episode feels like a very clearn and clean chapter from a novel.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've loved it. It seems as though the interpersonal relationship between Heidi and Walter is as important as any conspiracy plot points. It doesn't seem to have the huge grand conspiracy that some of these types of shows have. It's a little more focused

Also episode 7 at around the 18:45 mark sounds exactly like the main music track from Carpenter's The Thing. I wonder if it's an homage or the exact same song. Anyway I loved hearing it. It fits the show perfectly

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good show - shockingly straightforward and dare I say a tad conventional when compared to what the reviews were saying ("Lost-y double-reverse plot twists"? where?) though. The performances were solid all around (with Roberts being the standout) and it was easily among the best directed shows of the year. The score is something I go back and forth on - it's very effective at times but at others it borders on self parody.

The short season and episode lengths make for a breezy watch - at just 5 hours you can easily crank this out in a day or two. Recommended!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. The 30 min episodes are great for binging and the mystery really kept me compelled to keep watching until the next episode. I usually don't go through shows this fast. The moment where everything becomes to come into focus was great. The mood definitely has shades of Mr. Robot.

I didn't realize their would be a 2nd season, really curious with the approach they take. For those who have seen the final episode, a question

Did you take Walter's movement of the fork, like what he used to do in Heidi's office as a bit of his former self was still there, like a muscle memory he was not fully aware, that he remembered on a subconscious level or did you take it as something more - a sign he did it on purpose to let Heidi know he remembered who she was? My interpretation was more of the former, although I'm sure its meant to be ambiguous

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. The 30 min episodes are great for binging and the mystery really kept me compelled to keep watching until the next episode. I usually don't go through shows this fast. The moment where everything becomes to come into focus was great. The mood definitely has shades of Mr. Robot.

I didn't realize their would be a 2nd season, really curious with the approach they take. For those who have seen the final episode, a question

Did you take Walter's movement of the fork, like what he used to do in Heidi's office as a bit of his former self was still there, like a muscle memory he was not fully aware, that he remembered on a subconscious level or did you take it as something more - a sign he did it on purpose to let Heidi know he remembered who she was? My interpretation was more of the former, although I'm sure its meant to be ambiguous

Former, but I have no clue what the post credit scene means. I really felt like this was a standalone season similar to maniac. So, I have no clue what season 2 will be about outside of Geist being involved. I am not sure if they need any of the same cast with how it ended.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Former, but I have no clue what the post credit scene means. I really felt like this was a standalone season similar to maniac. So, I have no clue what season 2 will be about outside of Geist being involved. I am not sure if they need any of the same cast with how it ended.

Same. You can't even look at what the second season of the podcast did to get an idea because S2 of the show will supposedly be completely different.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Same. You can't even look at what the second season of the podcast did to get an idea because S2 of the show will supposedly be completely different.

Didn't she not even see Walter again in the podcast? It seems like they might make it about that red lab substance the secretary used at the end of the season.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
^^^Alright, thanks for the feedback. It really does work as a contained story.

I've only seen Bobby Cannavale on Masters of None, Mr. Robot, and now this. He's great at playing scummy.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was really good. Nice little ride. I didn't watch the closing credits scene. What happens?

Nov 1, 2017
Absolutely loved this. Great performances and atmosphere and honestly some of the best direction I've ever seen. This is also the first streaming drama in god knows how long that I didn't get bored and bail on after three episodes. The short running time probably helped with that.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed tho. The ambiguity early on + Esmail's involvement will lead people to think this is going someplace much crazier than where it actually ends up. I already saw a guy on reddit say he was disappointed because he thought it was going to involve aliens.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
Loving it so far, but has anyone found the bitrate of prime video to be absolute trash? It's displaying in 1080p but the encode especially in dark areas is atrocious!

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I'm in the camp that thought it'd be a little wilder based on some reviews/Esmail (although he didn't write it) but I'm not at all complaining that it wasn't - the brisk, half hour episodes made this an easy binge and Esmail is a pretty incredible director.

I'm very curious to see where they go from here, based on the post-credits scene I'm guessing it'll get into some other Geist activities (like whatever that red mist stuff was). I'm reminded of one of the old Ausiello Blind Items about a show that starred an A-list actor in a non-anthology show but they were only signed on for one season - there were a lot of guesses it was Homecoming and now that the show is out I think that's definitely the case. Heidi and Walter's relationship was the highlight of the show but it's not something I need to really see progress past this point, it worked very well as a standalone arc/series and I'll be down for a sort of related but entirely new plot for a second season.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was really good. Nice little ride. I didn't watch the closing credits scene. What happens?

The secretary accepts Colin's signed affidavit. When Colin leaves, she seems spacey and pulls out a red vial with a label that says "lab use only." She uses the vial on her wrists and spaces out even more.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I need to watch some scenes again to be sure, but I thought the implication of the two scenes between Audrey and Colin in the final episode is that...

Audrey has agreed to a trial of the drug in exchange for her new position in the company. Colin mentioned that he worked out the 'memory kink' of homecoming and has successfully redeveloped it to focus on management, and after Colin leaves Audrey uses the applicator to suppress her stress. Audrey also mentioned she had been on Mr. Geist's farm, which I think we saw briefly in an earlier episode where workers were harvesting the berries used to develop the drug in that vial.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
So far I've loved it. It seems as though the interpersonal relationship between Heidi and Walter is as important as any conspiracy plot points. It doesn't seem to have the huge grand conspiracy that some of these types of shows have. It's a little more focused

Also episode 7 at around the 18:45 mark sounds exactly like the main music track from Carpenter's The Thing. I wonder if it's an homage or the exact same song. Anyway I loved hearing it. It fits the show perfectly
It is, and right after that they play some score from Halloween III. Apparently the whole score of Homecoming is from other movies.

The following episode had something from Christine too.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was really fantastic. I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed Julia Roberts, but she was great here.

I adored the 30 min format. No wasted eps and didn't wear out it's welcome.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Great show. Format is perfect, watched the whole thing last night and this morning.

Music and cinematography really set the tone and build the tension. Could have been hella boring otherwise.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch some scenes again to be sure, but I thought the implication of the two scenes between Audrey and Colin in the final episode is that...

Audrey has agreed to a trial of the drug in exchange for her new position in the company. Colin mentioned that he worked out the 'memory kink' of homecoming and has successfully redeveloped it to focus on management, and after Colin leaves Audrey uses the applicator to suppress her stress. Audrey also mentioned she had been on Mr. Geist's farm, which I think we saw briefly in an earlier episode where workers were harvesting the berries used to develop the drug in that vial.

I didn't draw the connection between "Geist's farm" and the harvesting until reading this. I wonder if it's any coincidence that the actress is Vietnamese.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Binged all of this in the space of a weekend, so good. Going from Patriot S2 to this Prime Originals have been treating me well of late.