The Albatross

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
spaceballs-alien.gif

the best

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like the term 'alien' dosnt get reflected well... I want something that makes like no sense to me. Give me no face or arms or whatever; that feels like what an alien would be.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Give me the fun charming designs of Space Opera aliens over these generic monsters any day.
Agreed. I just wish people would stop pulling from 1970s alien designs.

The Turians and Krogan from Mass Effect are my ideal space opera alien designs. They're unique and feel like modern designs.

The asari definitely came from the 1970s lol

DinosaurJerky

Nov 19, 2022
Without any kind of appendage or real way to physically interact with objects, some sort of extra-sensory or telekinetic ability is a common trope for this. The ship itself could also be mostly biological, eg Farscape, and to some extent control itself or otherwise be communicated with by anyone telepathically.

And some aliens are often bio-engineered for other purposes by some ancestor race, eg the Xenomorphs.

Most of the time it's just left unexplained. ItsAliens.jpg.
Of course, things like bioships and telekinesis are basically just space magic. When I try to work backwards to contemplate the selection pressures for the ships, it falls apart pretty quick in my mind. What planetary conditions conducive to the genesis of life and subsequent years of evolution would also result in the requisite hardiness for interstellar travel? The ecosystem around such a creature would be pure madness, even if it's just the platform for a cyborg-y thing. Absent some breakthroughs in physics, telekinesis doesn't merit consideration.

After that, think about the incredible number of links in the chain just to get us to the moon. I suspect it doesn't take too many before you have narrowed down the size of the spacefaring creature, the appendage situation, the sensory situation, and the built-in communication equipment to a relatively small range. If we're talking non-spacefaring or non-intelligent life, then the range of possibilities opens up much wider.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i like starship troopers' bugs actually, intelligent aliens always needing to be bipedal and have similar technology to us doesnt always work for me.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Of course, things like bioships and telekinesis are basically just space magic. When I try to work backwards to contemplate the selection pressures for the ships, it falls apart pretty quick in my mind. What planetary conditions conducive to the genesis of life and subsequent years of evolution would also result in the requisite hardiness for interstellar travel? The ecosystem around such a creature would be pure madness, even if it's just the platform for a cyborg-y thing. Absent some breakthroughs in physics, telekinesis doesn't merit consideration.

After that, think about the incredible number of links in the chain just to get us to the moon. I suspect it doesn't take too many before you have narrowed down the size of the spacefaring creature, the appendage situation, the sensory situation, and the built-in communication equipment to a relatively small range. If we're talking non-spacefaring or non-intelligent life, then the range of possibilities opens up much wider.

I've been trying to make heads or tails of this and I can't.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
While I didn't much care for the movie, this discussion on the female Thark designs in John Carter is a good one.

sola.jpg

I agree that too many alien designs rely off human gender signifiers. I know Star Wars is guilty of this with the few female aliens we've seen.

Oct 26, 2017
plavalaguna.jpg
mondoshawans.jpg

Love the designs in Fifth Element. Mandoshowans in particular are amazing to me.

Like all the art design in that, it was heavily inspired by the Valerian comics since the same guy designed it. The Valerian movie, though failing in other parts, also had excellent creature designs.

I also just rewatched some Babylon 5. While it had some humanoid characters for the sake of economy, the Vorlons and the Shadows were really good, and as humanoid aliens go the Narn were exceptionally well made for 90's TV.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For how bad the movie was, the alien in Tomorrow War were decent. The white spikes were, fast, menacing, able to shoot spikes to impale you, climb, jump and run and maul you. They felt like a real threat

Whitespike_3DConcept_CorrectionV11-2.jpg
The Mimics from Edge of Tomorrow were fun in a "Oh God, get that thing away from me" kind of way due to the speed at which they moved and killed.

maxresdefault.jpg
I liked TTW and loved EoT but these both looked pretty bad in motion. Just a confusing mess of limbs and tentacles.
Obligatory H.R Giger Alien post.

EKPo.gif

5860190-alien%20ability%20jaws%20%281%29.gif
Giger is still the GOAT.