• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As expected 🤦‍♂️
14930.jpg

Has noclip or other documentary series covered the history of British gaming around that 80s time? I know Danny talked about Sensible Soccer but that's more 90s.

Oh From Bedrooms To Billions! I need to check that out.

Last edited:

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Cant wait for Tom Kalinske to explain how Sega was doing everything wrong, and he was great yada yada yada, repeat said narrative ad nauseam.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Am I right in assuming that the show is also very much focused on what was happening in the US? And ignoring the fact that in the UK and a good chunk of Europe in the 80s, we were playing on C64/Spectrum etc and games like Paradroid and Dizzy? And certainly not consoles. Even in the early 90s the Megadrive and SNES had tough competition from Amiga here. I ask because so many of these types of documentaries fail to realise how the gaming industry wasn't globalised back then and the famous "crash" never happened in Europe where we didn't give a shit about Atari in the first place.

Have you seen From Bedrooms to Billions? Sounds like it's exactly what you're after!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Bedrooms_to_Billions

doh! beaten.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the "golden age" was the Atari/Arcade era? Golden age doesn't necessarily mean best age, often it's just the first period of major significance, like the golden age of comics.

This. I am old enough to remember it being called this originally.. like a few others have pointed out.

Anyway, I will check it out.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in assuming that the show is also very much focused on what was happening in the US? And ignoring the fact that in the UK and a good chunk of Europe in the 80s, we were playing on C64/Spectrum etc and games like Paradroid and Dizzy? And certainly not consoles. Even in the early 90s the Megadrive and SNES had tough competition from Amiga here. I ask because so many of these types of documentaries fail to realise how the gaming industry wasn't globalised back then and the famous "crash" never happened in Europe where we didn't give a shit about Atari in the first place.
It sucks to see PAL territories often ignored. But even for North America, '80s computer gaming usually gets glossed over despite being very significant and active there, too. At least after reading samred's review, we know Sierra and Hawkins are in there. Some computer gaming coverage is better than none.

I'm in Canada but UK-developed games were a bit part of my youth: International Karate series, Last Ninja series, Skool Daze, Head Over Heels, Lazy Jones, Barbarian, Super Pipeline, Zynaps, Mogul's text adventures, etc..

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
AV Club gave it a C+

Every episode of High Score is made up of three elements: The first always follows a basic theme, like the rise of Nintendo or the fighting game trend in the '90s. The second tries to shoehorn that theme into a segment about competitive gaming, which sometimes feels very natural and other times feels like an episode got cut and they needed to find somewhere to talk about eSports. The third element is a piece of the untold history of video games, showcasing people who made an impact but aren't necessarily household names—assuming that, say, Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins is a household name where you live.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a single frame in the trailer featuring Final Fantasy VI lol

4oC5U6L.png

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is out now on Aus Netflix and it's terrific. Fresh stories from the early days, slick presentation, loads of nostalgia. First episode was a load of fun.

Oh and it's got a banging synthwave ost as well.

Last edited:

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought amiga was from the UK (it was my first gaming device and will always be my favorite - grew up in France). But it seems it's American ? So it was a US product that was more popular in Europe ?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I always thought amiga was from the UK (it was my first gaming device and will always be my favorite - grew up in France). But it seems it's American ? So it was a US product that was more popular in Europe ?
They had a separate production division in Germany for European sales, and also handled sales and distribution separately from the US, and obviously had far more success doing it.

But yeah, basically.

Also anyone who grew up playing on home computers in the 80s/early 90s should watch the fantastic Halt & Catch Fire. A (fictional) character-driven drama based in those times of development of the first personal computers. Loved that show so much.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really like these documentaries. I was too young to understand (or even care) what was going on in the industry that time, all gaming information we had were from magazines and then some websites in the mid-90's.

At least, 30 years from now I'll watch the documentary about Apple x Epic and be like "heh, I remember this one kids".

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The Channel F thing, damn. I'm not 100% sure if I've heard of it, but I definitely don't know the name Jerry Lawson.

Needs more recognition.

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the first episode, I'm onto the second now. Nice presentation and overall production. Great to see the bit on Jerry Lawson, really interesting to hear from Gail Tilden on her experience during the launch of the NES.

Martinet's narration is well measured and chilled out. My worry was that he was going to go a bit ham but he's keeping it smooth.

Quick Q for anyone watching, is this available in 4K?

Yes it's in 4K on Netflix.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting in a work meeting now but planning on diving in right after. So excited to watch this! Been waiting all month for this.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm through the first two episodes.

Its not what I was expecting. Its still good so don't get me wrong.. if you're an 80's and 90's gamer like me then you will enjoy it.

I didn't expect the focus to be so much on early e-sports. Huge focus on the 1990 Nintendo World Championships, a lot less focus on anything Nintendo between 1984-1990, so far. It was basically - here's the Famicom in '83, here's the redesign for the US audience in '84 and now welcome to the 1990 Nintendo World Championships.

I had forgotten that Kirby was designed in honor of the attorney that won the case Universal brought to them over Donkey Kong. I mean honestly...had Nintendo lost that case there would be no Nintendo in the U.S. Sad to see that he passed away last year.

Cartas

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't really make it through the first episode. Not too much of a documentary, unfortunately.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped right into the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat episode...Akiman's Chun Li painting and sketch...wow.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I think basically anyone over at least 25 will enjoy this. Very chill production, and the animations alone make it worth it.

That C+ review is ridiculous.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm picking and choosing what episodes I watch, but I'm having fun. Yes, there's a definite focus on the Nintendo World Championship, but it was awesome hearing from Gail Tilden and building Nintendo Power. The Sega focused episode is fun, and doesn't share much new if you've read Console Wars, but it's great that Sega has former employees that had huge influence in the company willing to shed light on their time there (this is less common with Nintendo, talent has tended to stick around, or simply refuses interviews, which is why it's so much easier to tell the tale of the console wars from Sega's point of view).

Also, Trip Hawkins is a wild interview, it's interesting just how many situations are named after him ("Trip's Thing", "Trip's Folly"), but you understand why when they all ended up being successful. He certainly loves being proven right.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the 1st episode, there"s a big focus on diversity in the industry ( Colored, Transgender) which I think is cool. But the rest of it ..not feeling it yet. Hope it gets better from here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly what I expected, but as somebody well informed and watched numerous documentaries on video games as well as lived through the 80's and 90's as a US gamer, it's focusing on subjects I'm wasn't as informed in so I've enjoyed the two episodes so far.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The story about how Ms. Pac-man came to be is fucking wild. Guys had balls the size of grapefruits.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange that all gaming documentaries that get this kind of attention are about the NES generation or earlier, especially arcades, pinball, etc. I'm much more interested in documentaries that cover the two generations after the NES. Aren't those old enough by this point to be worthy of analysis too? I also find it strange to call this the Golden age of gaming. Isn't that a more worthy title for the PS1 or PS2 gen?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to watch this! I've read a ton about this era of history for the games industry so I'm guessing it will cover some familiar ground but I'm looking forward to some nice new info and slick production values.

It's strange that all gaming documentaries that get this kind of attention are about the NES generation or earlier, especially arcades, pinball, etc. I'm much more interested in documentaries that cover the two generations after the NES. Aren't those old enough by this point to be worthy of analysis too? I also find it strange to call this the Golden age of gaming. Isn't that a more worthy title for the PS1 or PS2 gen?
I think this is one of those cases where the 'golden age' of a medium like video games entirely depends on the age of the people who are making the documentaries like this. Folks tend to see their childhood and the media they consumed then as the best of it all, especially for games. Same with the way so many retro-themed shows and movies are about the 80s and slowly moving into the 90s now.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think this is one of those cases where the 'golden age' of a medium like video games entirely depends on the age of the people who are making the documentaries like this. Folks tend to see their childhood and the media they consumed then as the best of it all, especially for games. Same with the way so many retro-themed shows and movies are about the 80s and slowly moving into the 90s now.

i think the term also coincides with whenever a medium attains mass popularity for the first time too. Comics existed before the golden-age of comics, but the golden-age refers to the ushering in of the popularity of superheroes.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the "Golden Age" of gaming lasted up to last generation. That's when things were apparent to me on how games started feeling like corporate products at the expense of the art from. I also feel like we are in some Indie Golden Age currently.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You're right in that a personal golden age is entirely subjective, but this was the period when video games evolved beyond simple bleep, bloop gameplay into something more immersive. When it was no longer simply a novelty, and the true potential was starting to be tapped.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Cant wait to get off work so I can watch the shit out of this un-holy entertainment combination of documentary and video games