• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
the 130+ end of the year GOTY awards,however, are
No those aren't either. They simply indicate that RDR2's gameplay appeals to a broader subset of people.

Let it be known I don't think RDR2's gameplay is bad or that it's a bad game. But I would never want to play it because of the slow moving character and subpar gunplay which is basically all your're doing in it gameplay wise. For me the world does not distract me enough from those average at best aspects and so I would not be one of those calling it GOTY. But for you, that might work, and more power to you.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
yeah, sure why the fuck not?

so many hardcore souls fans are quick to defend his ~vision~, so i don't get the apprehension now if the man wants to do something completely different than what everyone's come to expect from him

let's support creatives branching out and doing whatever the fuck they want! games don't have to be one thing all the time!

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Deracine was pretty character driven so i don't think they lack the ability to tell traditional stories when Sekiro was pretty straightforward considering their usual output. They can do a main character with a voice and a supporting cast if they want to.

Deleted member 36037

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Sekiro was incredibly refreshing but the story was a bit of a let down. He would probably need to work with a talented writer in order to improve upon that.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Outside of a few story beats, I barely remember the story of Sekiro. It's not exactly confusing, but it is horribly communicated.

Edit: The world building in Soulsborne is outfuckingstanding, but the actual storys are... eh.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
but dont large portion of souls people hate cinematic narrative driven experience? Its like the opposite of what souls games provide

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can we be beast friends?
1457975259-armwrestle.gif

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it's worth watching it on Youtube? Been trying to avoid it, but I'll never get a PSVR anyway.
I can't speak for others, but I would personally find it really dull. The game mostly hinges on intimacy and atmosphere largely derived from "being there". Take that away and you'll be asking yourself why you should care about the characters in the first place.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm down for whatever he wants to make. He's earned that much from me.

It'd be great to see From tell a more present and straightforward narrative instead of telling the story through worldbuilding.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not? I certainly love their stories so more of them would be great. And they know how to do good gameplay unlike some other people so I would be very happy to see their take.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
YES! Make it hard as f*ck without difficulty settings.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Super interesting comments. Would love to see something materialize from this.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of a few story beats, I barely remember the story of Sekiro. It's not exactly confusing, but it is horribly communicated.

Edit: The world building in Soulsborne is outfuckingstanding, but the actual storys are... eh.
Which is why I don't hold my breath for storytelling in games. Video game story writing has a ways to go.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest thats pretty much how their sidequests have always been. The difference in Sekiro is that the solution to the problem is always incredibly obvious where in Souls the solutions are almost too obtuse. How would you change the core design of their sidequests? I mean the only way to really create deeper more meaningful NPCs is to add dialogue options that affect how they react and at that point its a completely different type of game.

Though I guess that could be the point of this thread and Miyazaki's comments lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he means, yeah. I think he wants to make interactions more meaningful and less obtuse.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think the idea is interesting but I'm not sure if Miyazaki has the chops to pull it off, at least not by himself.

Part of the reason why the lore and characters in From games are so appealing is because they are esoteric and require some amount of effort to figure out. In other words, the form is just as important as the actual content IMO.

But I wish him the best if he wants to do it. I would actually be really curious to see a japanese take on the typical cinematic western AAA would look like.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Déraciné was really special in terms of atmosphere and it was also very narrative driven. More people should check it out if they have a PSVR.

Oct 29, 2017
I prefer the usual Souls narrative style because is so unique compared to the rest of things out there, besides they already have the best storytelling in mainstresm at least.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Unless he gets a co director with experience and somehow secures a substantial budget increase than he is use to, I don't want to see the results.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the usual Souls narrative style because is so unique compared to the rest of things out there, besides they already have the best storytelling in mainstresm at least.
I'd argue item descriptions are among the worst ways to tell a story, akin to piecing together lore in a TCG by reading flavor text.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd argue item descriptions are among the worst ways to tell a story, akin to piecing together lore in a TCG by reading flavor text.
Nah, I love it getting an item and it having a interesting description, succint and good way to pass information in a quick manner. Plus the games give you a lot through NPCs, people talk like the stories in these games are like engineering.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

Item descriptions aren't so much story as lore. Something for those that wonder, "What the heck was that thing I just cut down?" or "What is/was this place" rather than being the story the player plays through.

Sounds interesting though, the thought of a From game with an explicit focus on story.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i'll trust miyazaki to try his best on it.

I mean, why should he be caged into doing things a specific way for 10+ years?

People should trust his talent for making good products rather than a specific type of thing

Interpretation from the conference

bakuretsu

Nov 30, 2017
This article is pretty misleading. I was there at the talk, and while I'm not an expert in japanese, I'm quite sure Miyazaki-san never mentioned Rockstar himself. It was in fact added by the translator/interperter/host and was supposed to be an example of a narrative driven game.
A more interesting thing, in my opinion, would be the fact that the same interpeter mentioned that Miyazaki-san likes stories with a large number of characters and would like to work on a story like that, giving 'Game of Thrones' as an example.
This might have been mentioned just because the talk took place in Dubrovnik (filming location for the King's Landing), but it made me wonder about those rumors mentioning a new FromSoft project written by GRRM...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I love it getting an item and it having a interesting description, succint and good way to pass information in a quick manner. Plus the games give you a lot through NPCs, people talk like the stories in these games are like engineering.
Item descriptions are bad storytelling, full stop. A few sentences of vague, often badly-translated text are a poor substitute for exploring a narrative. NPC conversations in the Souls series range from obtuse to straight-up nonsense. Very rarely do you meet an NPC whose dialogue in regards to expanding your understanding of the world is clear-cut and to the point.

I'd argue Dark Souls 2 has some of the best NPCs in regards to storytelling, such as Straid of Olaphis (whose entire character is built around the fact that he's from a cycle that occurred between Dark Souls 1 and 2, originating from a kingdom that no longer exists).

There is good stuff in these games, but if I have to watch VaatiVidya for a few hours to understand the plots of the games I just played in full, context and everything (i.e., have a story told to me), then the game failed to actually tell me a story, and I had to seek out another source to have the narrative relayed to me.

Keep in mind Bloodborne straight up never tells you what Yharnam really is, why the beast blood is mutating people, how they found the blood in the first place, and so on, and you only clues to the truth of the city lie in the Chalice Dungeons, which most players won't play, much less realize are actually a vector for a critical point of the narrative to be relayed to the player.

Even still, the Chalice Dungeons still fail to clearly communicate any sort of story, to which I return to my point about VaatiVidya: having people on YouTube tell you their interpretation of vague hints and (often poorly translated) lines of dialogue is indicative that the kind of storytelling seen in FS games is far from the "best storytelling in mainstresm" (sic), as you put it.
Item descriptions aren't so much story as lore. Something for those that wonder, "What the heck was that thing I just cut down?" or "What is/was this place" rather than being the story the player plays through.

Sounds interesting though, the thought of a From game with an explicit focus on story.
The exact words of the post I was responding to were "they already have the best storytelling in mainstresm" (sic). I'm not trying to dig into the logistics of Soulslike worldbuilding in From Software games. I like the lore, I like the characters, and I like the mystery of it all. But it's not a good storytelling, which is my point.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm down. Love it when studios branch out to other genres.
I just got Deracine, will have to find time to play it.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
That would be quite the departure from the current model where he effectively crowd sources the story / lore to the fanbase, relying on them to form connections that From aren't even aware of. It is rather funny, and not remotely surprising, that his team doesn't even understand the stories of the games they are working on.