Plum

May 31, 2018
"He" doesn't create games fast, his team creates games fast.

This notion that Kojima is the sole worker on this game and that everyone else doesn't even need to be credited or mentioned is, quite frankly, one of the worst things about the hype surrounding Kojima. I'm not going to doubt that a lot of his games are down to him, but when so much of it is focused on him alone then it makes it harder to celebrate and (if there's high levels of crunch, which is definitely looking likely) help those underneath him.

and Kojima Productions put out titles almost every year for the last 10 he was at Konami-

2006 Metal Gear Acid 2 & Metal Gear Solid Portable Op's
2007 Lunar Knights
2008 Metal Gear Solid 4
2010 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
2011 Metal Gear Solid HD collection
2012 Zone of the Enders HD collection & MGS: Social Op's
2013 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2014 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes & P.T.
2015 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

This is what I'm talking about above. Even games literally made by other designers and other entirely seperate teams are being attributed to Kojima and Kojima alone. Metal Gear Acid/2 and Lunar Knights were made by a different designer with a (presumably) different team within Kojipro, the HD collections were made primarily by Bluepoint, Social Ops was a mobile game presumably not supervised by Kojima, and Revengeance was made entirely by Platinum on the back of the failed Metal Gear Solid: Rising prototype.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why he thinks he's fast at creating games? That's not having a dig I just don't understand. There was 4 years between MGS 3 & 4 and then a further 7 between 4 & 5.

Death Stranding may have started physical production at the start of 2016 but I'd wager there was a lot of pre-production in the back half of 2015. To me fast is at most two years not around 4.

Don't get me wrong, creating a new AAA title with a team of apparently just 80 is impressive, but quick? No.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Correction here:

HD Collection was co-developed with Armature and Bluepoint
Rising was mostly developed by Platinum Games
Metal Gear Rising wasn't exactly fast

This notion that Kojima is the sole worker on this game and that everyone else doesn't even need to be credited or mentioned is, quite frankly, one of the worst things about the hype surrounding Kojima. I'm not going to doubt that a lot of his games are down to him, but when so much of it is focused on him alone then it makes it harder to celebrate and (if there's high levels of crunch, which is definitely looking likely) help those underneath him.

This is what I'm talking about above. Even games literally made by other designers and other entirely seperate teams are being attributed to Kojima and Kojima alone. Metal Gear Acid/2 and Lunar Knights were made by a different designer with a (presumably) different team within Kojipro, the HD collections were made primarily by Bluepoint, Social Ops was a mobile game presumably not supervised by Kojima, and Revengeance was made entirely by Platinum on the back of the failed Metal Gear Solid: Rising prototype.
Right, and I said- "his studio and team have developed or produced a lot of games". I never attributed it all to Kojima himself, I'm not sure my wording was clear though. But to say his studio had little to no involvement in games like Renegeance, Acid, Twin Snakes or ports isn't accurate.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why he thinks he's fast at creating games? That's not having a dig I just don't understand. There was 4 years between MGS 3 & 4 and then a further 7 between 4 & 5.

Death Stranding may have started physical production at the start of 2016 but I'd wager there was a lot of pre-production in the back half of 2015. To me fast is at most two years not around 4.

Don't get me wrong, creating a new AAA title with a team of apparently just 80 is impressive, but quick? No.
There was no pre-production at the back half of 2015. He was with Konami until December of 2015.
in 2016, he had to find a building, poach his old employees, tour around to find a suitable engine, cast, etc then his team get adjusted to new engine while in pre-production
No matter how you slice it Death Stranding is incredibly fast for a modern game.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Right, and I said- "his studio and team have developed or produced a lot of games". I never attributed it all to Kojima himself, I'm not sure my wording was clear though. But to say his studio had little to no involvement in games like Renegeance, Twin Snakes or ports isn't accurate.

They did have some involvement, but to say they developed or produced them is either literally wrong or a gross over-estimation of how much involvement a "Producer" actually has in the development process. Games like Metal Gear Acid, Boktai, Lunar Knights, etc were developed by KojiPro, but they weren't 'Hideo Kojima games' in any real way and they were likely done by a smaller team within KojiPro instead of the 'main' one. Games like MGR:R, Twin Snakes, and the HD Collections were primarily developed by other studios and to attribute those to KojiPro themselves does a disservice to the work of those other studios.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

In between MGS4 and 5 he played a role in something like 5 other games. Mostly producing, but he was fully involved with a couple, Peace Walker and Ground Zeros, PT was probably mostly done in this time too as well as early Silent Hills stuff.
In 4 years since he formed a studio and built a team that's about to release their first game. It's fast no matter how you slice it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There was no pre-production at the back half of 2015. He was with Konami until December of 2015.
in 2016, he had to find a building, poach his old employees, tour around to find a suitable engine, cast, etc then his team get adjusted to new engine while in pre-production
No matter how you slice it Death Stranding is incredibly fast for a modern game.

I'm not saying other games don't take longer to create, often with the benefit of much larger teams, but no matter which way you view it nearly 4 years to create a game is not fast.

EDIT: Plus on top of the lengths of time on his other projects, which did benefit from large teams, I just don't see how he things he's a quick developer?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm trying my best to imagine him saying this humbly instead of in a bragging tone lol

Hideo Kojima Presents: Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game directed by Hideo Kojima, Game designed by Hideo Kojima, Produced by Hideo Kojima, Casting by Hideo Kojima, Trailer edited by Hideo Kojima, Written by Hideo Kojima. Storyboard by Hideo Kojima, Cutscene staging by Hideo Kojima, Special thanks to Hideo Kojima.......& Kojima Productions.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
We have absolutely no idea about the scope of the game. And if that's rather limited 3 years doesn't seem that fast.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Yup. It really feels like he's just trying to take all of the credit. No comments on the people part of his team, no shout outs to individuals. Maybe its the translation but a lot of the comments being posted here coming from him come off sounding pretty egoist.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not saying other games don't take longer to create, often with the benefit of much larger teams, but no matter which way you view it nearly 4 years to create a game is not fast.

EDIT: Plus on top of the lengths of time on his other projects, which did benefit from large teams, I just don't see how he things he's a quick developer?
the game did not take 4 years though.
they only got their engine in late 2016. it was made in 3 years.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

It's all relative. is 3-4 years a short amount of time? no. Is it a short amount of time for a new studio to make a new AAA IP this gen? yes. It's faster than almost every Sony owned studio for example.

Regarding his other project, yeah I don't consider them fast specially relative to their time.

We have absolutely no idea about the scope of the game. And if that's rather limited 3 years doesn't seem that fast.

Sure it could be 1 hour of repeated content. However open world, many cutscenes, varied traversal systems, boss fights, online, sure does inidcate it's of a decent scope to be considered fast.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Haha cracking up on how many Kojima there are on the first page 😅

Hopefully ds strikes a good balance between gameplay and cutscenes. Mgs4-5 didn't do too well with that.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Let's do some contextualisation with other projects/devs, shall we?

- Amy Hennig joined EA-Visceral in early 2014, an established AAA team/studio with a clear purpose of making a Star Wars game.
The time/window afforded to that project was till fiscal 2019.
5 years for an already established studio/team.

-Jade Raymond joined EA in mid-2015, to setup a new AAA studio with the purpose of making a new open world IP. With an original release window of fiscal 2021, which was later pushed to fiscal 2022.
Approximately 6, maybe 7 years afforded to ship a game for a studio built from the ground-up.

- Leslie Benzies left/got kicked out of R* in 2016, and in early 2017 set-up a new studio called Build a Rocket Boy Games - to make EVERYWHERE.
Roughly the difference of a year compared to Kojima, and till this point we've seen nothing of EVERYWHERE, while Kojima is shipping DS soon.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
80 people? Even smaller than I'd read.

Let's do some contextualisation with other projects/devs, shall we?

- Amy Hennig joined EA-Visceral in early 2014, an established AAA team/studio with a clear purpose of making a Star Wars game.
The time/window afforded to that project was till fiscal 2019.
5 years for an already established studio/team.

-Jade Raymond joined EA in mid-2015, to setup a new AAA studio with the purpose of making a new open world IP. With an original release window of fiscal 2021, which was later pushed to fiscal 2022.
Approximately 6, maybe 7 years afforded to ship a game for a studio built from the ground-up.

- Leslie Benzies left/got kicked out of R* in 2016, and in early 2017 set-up a new studio called Build a Rocket Boy Games - to make EVERYWHERE.
Roughly the difference of a year compared to Kojima, and till this point we've seen nothing of EVERYWHERE, while Kojima is shipping DS soon.

Puts things in to perspective.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying my best to imagine him saying this humbly instead of in a bragging tone lol

It seems like in a lot of these interviews this week he is addressing common naysaying/concerns. I think a ton of people couldn't believe this game was ready to come out this year. Hell even I was shocked.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think its all about having a good director/project manager with a clear vision/direction, which is something I'm noticing that is missing in a lot of devs these days *cough* Bioware *cough*. Kojima has decades of game dev experience, it really shouldn't come as a surprise that he took this long to make DS.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i love how some here just changed the narrative from "no way he is hitting 2019" to "the game must be pretty small in scope" to "3 years isnt that fast anyway"
laughable.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's like, three years? I can't really say anything about Sony right now...maybe it will take 8 years, or maybe 10 years for first-party titles, like Nintendo as well.

So Nintendo take 8-10 years to make games?

Also Gears 5 took 3-4 as well I think.

Maybe he is over-exaggerating a bit.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Kojima threads are sure something else right now. Endgame credits will reveal how big of a help those 80 ppl received but I can't disagree to the fact the Death Stranding was created really fast. Almost no one thought we will get this thing this year.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

are you really comparing an iterative sequel made by a big and established team to a new studio that was just made on a completely new ip in an unfamiliar engine?
come on, you know this comparison makes no sense.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing there's something lost in translation where he refers to his studio as a tiny indie.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Most Nintendo games just reached the HD era, they are behind the curve in terms of tech and how long games take.

Gears does take 3-4. Call of Duty takes 2-3 years. FIFA and Madden take 1 year to develop. You see the pattern? Big teams with iterations, the more iterative the less time it takes.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Efficient development and a clear vision helps a freaking lot.

Remember how many times Anthem devs switched focus, how there was not leader who will decide on anything, how they refused to take help from SWTOR team thinking how they were "superior", how they believed that end crunch "bioware magic" will save them once again, how they have thrown themselves into brand new game type [online game], how they were pushed into final form of the game by random exec, and how they had to quickly produce vast majority of the game only after showcasing one level publically. And all of that with difficult engine.

Kojima keeps a tight ship. Having a great engine helps, and yes, the game was made quickly, but we still have to see if what he has imagined is good. We'll see that in November. I hope for the best.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Obviously he's refering to him and his studio there. It's not like he's a one man army, some people are just being disingenuous. I imagine there's probably few if any office politics there which speeds things up a lot.

And a AAA game in 3 years by a new studio is fucking fast.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Castlevania too

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

He's probably talking from very from first concept to release, that can go a long time. Horizon Zero Dawn took 6+ years, but in the meantime the team also made Killzone Shadowfall.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever is saying this is not fast are out of their minds. He created a brand new studio and a AAA game title in three years. Finding talent, Creating a team and culture that works well together, designing (in essence) a follow up to the legendary MGS series and securing funding are massive tasks on their own. Fair fucks to him.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima threads are sure something else right now. Endgame credits will reveal how big of a help those 80 ppl received but I can't disagree to the fact the Death Stranding was created really fast. Almost no one thought we will get this thing this year.

It's definitely impressive how fast the studio has worked on getting it ready for release, but that's mostly because he had access to Decima, which has proven itself to be an incredibly versatile engine that Sony studios (and some third parties) have been working on for over half a decade.

I imagine it also helps that KojiPro has a small satellite studio inside GG as well.

A "small satellite" Kojima Productions studio will also be launched within Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam, according to Hulst.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's definitely impressive how fast the studio has worked on getting it ready for release, but that's mostly because he had access to Decima, which has proven itself to be an incredibly versatile engine that Sony studios (and some third parties) have been working on for over half a decade.

I imagine it also helps that KojiPro has a small satellite studio inside GG as well.

many development studios that already had an engine and were doing a new IP still took a lot more than 3 years.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
the game did not take 4 years though.
they only got their engine in late 2016. it was made in 3 years.

Sorry but that's simply untrue.

Firstly the E3 trailer from 2016 was made in the Decima engine. Guerilla gave Kojima the entire source code for the game early in the year with no conditions attached to see if he wanted to use it, which was one of the reason why Kojima picked the engine as he was amazed a team would willingly give that up. They may not have announced that they were using Decima before the Game Awards but they were certainly using it at that point and had a lot of experience with it.

Secondly, there's a lot of pre-production done before you even go near an engine i.e. from the beginning of 2016. The E3 trailer from June 2016 is clear evidence that they'd already been working on the game for a number of months at least in terms of engine work, audio-visual assets and talent signing as both Guillermo Del Toro and Mads Mikkelsen were in it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sorry but that's simply untrue.

Firstly the E3 trailer from 2016 was made in the Decima engine. Guerilla gave Kojima the entire source code for the game early in the year with no conditions attached to see if he wanted to use it, which was one of the reason why Kojima picked the engine as he was amazed a team would willingly give that up. They may not have announced that they were using Decima before the Game Awards but they were certainly using it at that point and had a lot of experience with it.

Secondly, there's a lot of pre-production done before you even go near an engine i.e. from the beginning of 2016. The E3 trailer from June 2016 is clear evidence that they'd already been working on the game for a number of months at least in terms of engine work, audio-visual assets and talent signing as both Guillermo Del Toro and Mads Mikkelsen were in it.
no, you are wrong, the E3 trailer was not on decima.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
What most people seems to forget is that it's pre-production that takes most time(engine development, lore etc.) and Kojima had most of these things in place when he started on Death Stranding..

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
A shame he wasn't so fast for MGS5

After Peace Walker:
- Kojima game team leaders a chance to make their own game [original MG Rising with focus on cutting ANYTHING] and they failed.
- Then they supported Platinum, Kojima wrote the script, was involved in design, Shinkawa also.
- They've worked on a brand new state of the art gen7 engine.
- He collaborated with Del Toro on Silent Hills, lots of preproduction was done and they also stealth-released and changed forever horror genre with PT.
- Had to fight with #fuckonami execs.
- Released MGSV and left.

After MGSV:
- Got great engine, cutting a lot of preproduction time
- The team worked on Death Stranding

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Such a smaller than imagined team. And they said Sony doesn't support the small, indie developers. It took 80 people to make one armor design in Anthem.