• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
FGO is an Aniplex game, a subsidiary company of Sony Music. It's a totally different entity from SIE, the video games side of Sony.

Playstation mobile titles are mostly what Forwardworks, their new subsidiary company made solely for mobile games, have done.
That's not PlayStation Mobile, that's Aniplex.
Yeah I know that but isn't that the same thing? Like I am sure PS mobile would love to have some heavy hitting mobile games but does Sony as a whole really care where the revenue comes from?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't marketed them like they market their games that are meant to appeal to western markets. Not that that would necessarily solve anything by itself, but it doesn't show a serious effort.
It would be less than a marginal difference for sales of those in Japan. The money and effort would outweigh the max potential gains from it.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if Sony want to be more successful in Japan, they need games that can move consoles and small-mid tier games won't cut it outside of a miracle game.

To add to this, just look at the best selling games in Japan last year. Seven of the top 10 are Nintendo games. The types of games selling in Japan are the ones Nintendo makes. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anyone can out Nintendo Nintendo.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyway I guess I'm curious as to what's motivating this. Used to be you could have series propped up entirely off of their strong Japanese sales.

Is it really as simple as "mobile games are cheaper and everyone has a phone, so they get their fix there and don't need a dedicated gaming console like they used to" or is there something else?
Demographic, work schedule, transport time, home size, purchase power can be influential in the (home) entertainment sector.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony isn't interested in portable gaming any longer and Japan isn't intereted in console gaming any longer.
That may explain it.

That sure explains why several Switch games which can only be played on a TV are selling at record paces.

/s

Switch is a home console and a handheld. You can't just say Japan has no interest in home consoles when it's outpacing everything but the DS at much higher prices, and selling more and higher priced software than more or less anything else. Sure, its form factor is definitely a major factor in its success but as shown by the split between the hybrid and the Lite it's not the only one.

Software is a much bigger factor.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Anyway I guess I'm curious as to what's motivating this. Used to be you could have series propped up entirely off of their strong Japanese sales.

Is it really as simple as "mobile games are cheaper and everyone has a phone, so they get their fix there and don't need a dedicated gaming console like they used to" or is there something else?
Sony's biggest game in Japan is a mobile game. It's probably easier for Sony to make money that way in Japan than trying to establish a home console.
Sony's fantasy RPG Fate/Grand Order has surpassed $4 billion in lifetime revenue, according to Sensor Tower.
Launched in 2015, the Delightworks developed title accumulated $1.1 billion in 2019 alone to become the top-grossing mobile game in Japan.
The majority of sales originated from Japan at approximately $3.3 billion or 81.5 per cent of the overall amount of user spending.
Source

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
They really need to actually start pushing advertisements out for some of the smaller Japanese games they make. Obviously it wouldn't fix everything but Gravity Rush basically only sold any copies based on word of mouth as far as I've seen, and it still didn't even do that well.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I don't really think it's about the heavy hitters like this. I think it's more about the lack of exclusive smaller titles. It's less about big budget Japanese games, and more about the loss of Parappa the Rapper, Ogre Battle, Katamari Damacy, Disgaea, etc.

Playstation used to be synonymous with having such smaller Japanese titles as exclusives. But now, such games are far more likely to be on Switch, if not both Switch and PS4.

And people are just more likely to go with the handheld to play such games for cultural reasons.
I agree that it's not really an issue with Sony having enough big AAA titles like Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter, but I don't think it's a lack of smaller enthusiast titles like Ogre Battle and Disgaea that's hurting them. It's the complete lack of titles that aren't aiming first and foremost for adult male gamers. That demographic is still buying the Playstation in Japan as far as I know. It's the lack of... everything else that I think hurts them. This is compared to the Switch, which has no shortage of software targeting pretty much every major demographic.

It's the reason "Sony should just make a handheld" also isn't the solution. Vita did fine in Japan (compared to the rest of the world, anyway), but it still had the same fatal flaw in software that kept it from being a huge hit. It's a problem that's not going to go away for Sony in Japan. And it's unfortunately (for Sony) not an easy problem to fix because saying "lul just make your own Animal Crossing" is a lot easier said than done.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
I remember hoping that the Switch would cause Sony to put in more work for Japan, cause they'd been coasting, but not like this... I don't want to deal with Japanese devs focusing on that decrepit hardware for the next decade...

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've wondered at points if we'll eventually see games made in Japan that are still demonstrably made by Japanese devs, but tailored to Western audiences. Not like DmC or anything, but the idea that series would come out advertised more to people outside Japan who like their games.
Japanese AAA games have been tailored to western audiences for a while now. That's one of the reasons they are losing part of their audience in Japan.

Jun 12, 2018
I don't think they need some complicated dock GPU, just a basic one for video out and power like the Switch.

Just make the handhold powerful targeting PS4/XB1 graphics, have DLSS & HW upscaling, 4-6 hours battery, allow for video out to TV (via dock or cable like PSP) and bluetooth controller support while connected.

Allowing PS3 and PS4 games to run on it would be the cherry on top. Playing my PS4 library on the go would be worth it alone.
I don't think that's even possible for Sony right now. You would be asking them to support two different platforms and have their developers split their time on focusing on a portable and the PS5. They would need to double up on the amount of developers they own to even have enough software to keep both platforms happy. The amount of money they would be spending on making another platform would be better spent on making the PS5 software side better.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
The answer is clear: they don't care.

The market itself has moved onto mobile completely. Switch is basically playing against itself at this point.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not going to say they don't care, because obviously they'd prefer to be doing well in Japan as well, but I think they look at the bigger picture here and know that globally they're executing better than ever. They'd have to invest significant effort specifically into Japan to reverse this course, and they know it's not worth it for one country when those resources could be better spent on strengthening their position in virtually every other country on the planet (including emerging markets, where they're also seeing success).

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sony all in on that gacha cash and kimetsuhara now.

Watch that Kimetsu gacha do over a billion yen in a year, lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows? It isn't like Japanese games don't sell well in the rest of the world. There isn't anything really stopping them besides their current Japanese teams not getting the job done outside of Polyphony.
Big Japanese games like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon have broad appeal. The big first party Sony games don't to that extent. Just not comparable.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean for the future of Japanese games on the PS5? Yeah, I know, the international market and stuff... but for games with niche appeal, like the Atelier series?
You know how your seeing japanese game announcements saying switch/PS4 or just switch? Get use to that for atleast a couple years

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
If Sony can get these studios, expand them so they can prioritize making high quality handheld/(maybe console port) games I think they would be good.
•Level 5
•Falcom
•Cyberconnect
•tri-Ace

Add japan studios to the handheld side. They would be the Naughty dog for the handheld side of Sony lol and what I mean by that is they would be the studio that knows the ins and out of handheld hardware while making games as well. Then you let your AAA studios like naughty dog, insomniac and Santa Monica your western studios makes games for the PS5. I think that's a good strategy imo.

The Vita suffered because
1.Expensive memory card and
2. Not enough studios making great games for the device.

Most of their studios were making console games. so if Sony can get those studios I listed they would be in a better spot in japan.

What y'all think?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know that but isn't that the same thing? Like I am sure PS mobile would love to have some heavy hitting mobile games but does Sony as a whole really care where the revenue comes from?

Delightworks, the developer of FGO, isn't owned by Aniplex/Sony Music and keep their share of profits. So Sony doesn't get everything.
I think the situation is similar as Pokémon GO and Nintendo, where Nintendo does make money from the ownership of the IP and partial ownership of TPC, but not all of it.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if my prediction of PS5 LTD in Japan being half of PS4 LTD was too optimistic lol.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows? It isn't like Japanese games don't sell well in the rest of the world. There isn't anything really stopping them besides their current Japanese teams not getting the job done outside of Polyphony.
I think that the type of games that Nintendo makes are very Japanese but they have a more Disney like appeal. Meaning that they appeal to both adults and children. The types of games that most people in this thread seem to want are more JRPGs and the like which likely would not have the same massive appeal. The only teen game I can think of that has real massive appeal that Nintendo makes is Zelda and that has a sort of Studio Ghibli like whimsy.

I feel like a lot of people on era don't seem to understand why Nintendo is so successful.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
To add to this, just look at the best selling games in Japan last year. Seven of the top 10 are Nintendo games. The types of games selling in Japan are the ones Nintendo makes. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anyone can out Nintendo Nintendo.
Exactly. It's easy to say "Oh, just make games that Japanese people want to buy." but that is infinitely easier said than done.

Sony's past string of Japanese games, even during the PS3 era, hasn't exactly sold all too well in the west either. In fact, what Sony Japan game (that isn't an Ueda game or GT) during the PS2 era sold really well in the west? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was the year Final Fantasy VII remake released and Sony still really underperformed, I remember before the year ended that there was optimism on the room about Sony breaking a few sales milestones, but the momentum just died, dual Switch/PS4 started to be on par or even favour switch versions, and the PS5 launch has been absolutely terrible. They have released so few consoles that we really don't know how much the demand actually is and the software they have for PS5 has not sold with the consoles they have sold, unlike the Switch that always sold a good amount of software with the hardware it released.

Dec 25, 2018
250px-Leonard_Nimoy.png

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As per Chris , Its above 5% if we look beyond top 30, PS4+PS5

and Add Digital which is an unknown variable.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

Even on that list it's pretty baffling just how popular Animal Crosing New Horizons has been in Japan. It sold more than rest of the top 5 COMBINED.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Japan has been slowly drifting away from home console gaming to mobile/handheld gaming for quite a while now, it simply makes no sense for Sony to make considerable investments for a single market. Frankly I'd say it's even a surprise that the PS5 launched in Japan last year and didn't launch until later this year like how the PS4 didn't launch in Japan until late February 2014.

Daryehl

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIo de Janeiro, Brazil
That sure explains why several Switch games which can only be played on a TV are selling at record paces.

/s

Switch is a home console and a handheld. You can't just say Japan has no interest in home consoles when it's outpacing everything but the DS at much higher prices, and selling more and higher priced software than more or less anything else. Sure, its form factor is definitely a major factor in its success but as shown by the split between the hybrid and the Lite it's not the only one.

Software is a much bigger factor.

Hmm... the Ps4 has a large library of software, still it isn't selling, no? I still think the japanese consumer isn't insterested in home gaming as they once were. Switch is different and is also an answer to that, btw their constant game releases also help keep great numbers. Playstation will be NA and EU centered and Big N will be stronger in Japan than their rivals. It's a tendency that is slowly becoming true.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Delightworks, the developer of FGO, isn't owned by Aniplex/Sony Music and keep their share of profits. So Sony doesn't get everything.
I think the situation is similar as Pokémon GO and Nintendo, where Nintendo does make money from the ownership of the IP and partial ownership of TPC, but not all of it.
Ah that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if Nintendo make less of a percentage of Pokemon Go's profits than Sony does with Fate/Grand Order? I am sure the dollar amount that Nintendo makes off it is way more than Sony does on FGO but I am curious since Gamefreak must also get a significant portion of the profits.

May 25, 2019
London
It's a software problem. What part of "streaming to a mobile phone" have Nintendo achieved to justify their domestic success?

Nintendo has the Switch, which is a device people can throw in their bag and bring with them as they go about their daily lives. The trend shows a significant decline in Japanese "traditional console" ownership, where traditional console is a box that has to be hooked up to a TV to use it.

Something similar to Microsoft's Game Pass + xCloud model but with a catalog of software Japanese gamers are interested in is the path forward.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As per Chris , Its above 5% if we look beyond top 30, PS4+PS5

and Add Digital which is an unknown variable.

Just due to the sheer amount of Switch games dominating the tops of the charts I would imagine digital would actually skew the total more towards Switch than PS4/PS5, at least for this year.

But yeah the top 30 certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

Hmm... the Ps4 has a large library of software, still it isn't selling, no? I still think the japanese consumer isn't insterested in home gaming as they once were. Switch is an answer to that and their constant game releases also help. Playstation will be NA and EU centered and Big N will be stronger in Japan than their rivals. It's a tendency that is slowly becoming true.

PS4 sold better than the Vita. It's not about Japanese simply disliking home gaming, it's much more about the types of games being released and marketed.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I don't think that's even possible for Sony right now. You would be asking them to support two different platforms and have their developers split their time on focusing on a portable and the PS5. They would need to double up on the amount of developers they own to even have enough software to keep both platforms happy. The amount of money they would be spending on making another platform would be better spent on making the PS5 software side better.

Yeah was more of a wishlist than expecting them to do it.

As you say everyone can see the benefits that Nintendo have had by unifying their platforms, Sony would be returning to the old model of multiple hardware support. They also already have PSVR to support in addition.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what global ramifications that might have.

Sony got a lot of de facto exclusives last Gen (against Xbox) and that resonated extremely well with many of the hardcore gamers in the West. I don't see that trend continuing. Either games will likely be PS/Xbox or Switch only perhaps?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's impossible... but is there anyway Sony could make some sort of PS4-portable? Some kind of handheld that plays downscaled PS4 digital games? That way devs could make software for that, that would also be compatible with PS5. That would be a dream, but I think I already know the answer to the feasibility of it.