• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 24, 2017
Hey Andy, here we are again. This is about the same time I last heard your voice. I'm glad it was laughs and football and kimchi/fart jokes. I'm glad it wasn't you hearing my voice with everything that happened after.

I haven't been to the memorial. I just can't do it. I can't look up your name. This grief is 18 years old and I can't put it to bed. But, it keeps me thinking about you. And honestly I'd rather have that. It's worth bearing that grief to be able to remember our conversation the best that I can.

I hope you are well. I hope you know that you are loved and missed.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by insensitive joke in a serious thread
...sir, this is a Wendy's. Can I take your order?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing OP lost someone in 9/11

Sorry for your loss OP, can't believe it's been 18 years already

Last edited:

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ some people on this forum are idiots.

I'm sorry for your loss OP

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As surreal as it was to experience 9/11 on television, it felt like it existed outside of normal life. For someone affected on a personal level, I can't even imagine how the grief can be compounded by annual memorial events or by the news.

I'm sorry for your loss.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Incredibly sorry for your loss OP, may the fallen of this horrible event never be forgotten.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Thread title made me think this was gonna be about Toy Story but it's a bit heavier than that. My heart breaks for you. Lots of people dealing with lots of stuff today. Rough anniversary.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sorry OP, unfortunately a day that we will never forget if we lived it because we never witnessed anything like that before in person.

Sorry for your loss.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
There are no words for this day, I'm so sorry for your loss OP.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sorry for your loss OP.

Also very sad and scary day for America and all the world. Never forget.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Had a friend whose uncle was one of the firefighters who got trapped in the collapsing building trying to save lives that day... he was so close to him, too. I will never forget how real that made it feel, the terror of death and instability.

RIP Andy and everyone else who lost their lives that day.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This is maybe the most tasteless post I've seen on this forum, well done

Sorry for your loss, OP

Not necessarily directed at that poster, but you have to remember there are now adults who have no memory of this event or weren't even born. People who can vote. To them, this is just something from a Wikipedia article.

RIP to your friend OP.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Damn dude. So sorry op

I was watching some 9/11 videos on youtube, and this remix video called 'Its been 10 years daddy' popped up. and that killed me. Brought it all back man..

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Andy, and all the rest. And everyone since then who died as a result of that day in the events that followed and still do.

Sorry for your loss, OP. Thanks for sharing your touching words to him with the rest of us.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
So sorry, TrailerParkRanger. :(

This tribute to first responders from a light artist on America's Got Talent last night was really touching and beautiful, as a way of also honoring the victims and heroes of 9/11.

I can't believe it's been 18 years.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
My condolences, OP.

This is maybe the most tasteless post I've seen on this forum, well done

Sorry for your loss, OP

Not necessarily directed at that poster, but you have to remember there are now adults who have no memory of this event or weren't even born. People who can vote. To them, this is just something from a Wikipedia article.

RIP to your friend OP.

Not to mention that not everyone on this forum is from the States. I had zero clue what this was about until I scrolled down. Can't really blame that guy for making some dumb joke when it probably didn't even register that it was 9/11 today.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss, OP.

--

I don't blame people who this didn't connect with immediately, I didn't get it at first either, but have to think about it and then it clicked. There's a lot of silly threads on this forum, "Maybe it's the weed talking" or what have you, and given that it's usually a light hearted or dumb conversational forum, some people might not enter a thread in the right context to understand that OP is writing possibly to someone who they knew who died on 9/11.

I know we're supposed to "Never forget," and while there are details of 9/11/2001 that I'll never forget and will always be with me, each passing year, it becomes more distant for me. I didn't lose anyone close to me in 9/11, and half-my-life-later I do, infact, forget. It's human.

I think anybody who has the luxury to forget 9/11, like me, should be thankful every day that they have that luxury.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sorry for your loss, OP.

--

I don't blame people who this didn't connect with immediately, I didn't get it at first either, but have to think about it and then it clicked. There's a lot of silly threads on this forum, "Maybe it's the weed talking" or what have you, and given that it's usually a light hearted or dumb conversational forum, some people might not enter a thread in the right context to understand that OP is writing possibly to someone who they knew who died on 9/11.

I know we're supposed to "Never forget," and while there are details of 9/11/2001 that I'll never forget and will always be with me, each passing year, it becomes more distant for me. I didn't lose anyone close to me in 9/11, and half-my-life-later I do, infact, forget. It's human.

I think anybody who has the luxury to forget 9/11, like me, should be thankful every day that they have that luxury.
Younger people on this forum probably don't even connect this day to '9/11'. Kind of crazy. The pain of it doesnt actually feel that distant as it feels looking at a calendar.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

I don't blame you for this feeling.

It's only recently that I can hear an airplane overhead without having my heart skip a beat. I remember that day extremely vividly and wish I could forget.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I was in middle school, George HW Bush took the US into two brief wars. First was the invasion of Panama, then the following year the first Gulf War. When it happened, I remember sitting at the lunch table talking and people were all wide eyed, talking about how weird it was that we were actually, literally, at war with another country. Let that sink in. We were all too young to have any memory of Vietnam or anything like that. Peace among the world's developed nations was the status quo, and war was the strange exception.

Now, anyone 20-ish or younger literally has no memory of peace. The US invaded Afghanistan 18 years ago, and that invasion is still ongoing. The US invaded Iraq two years later, and ISIS sprung up in the place of the conquered Iraqi government, and the conflict, in its various forms and locales, is still ongoing.

The most powerful nation on Earth has fought 40 years worth of war in the last 18. 20 year old adults in Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan have no memory of a time when that war wasn't happening. Because one day 18 years ago, some Saudi Arabians they didn't know attacked a city they'd never been to. And for various reasons, including corporate ones, the fighting since then has never stopped.

I get that younger people born since 9/11 might see it as just another piece of history, but it should be more significant to them than anyone since it's the reason (or one of the major catalysts, let's say) for the world they've exclusively lived in.