RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say what I said in the thread on Etc side. I will wait to see him in full make-up and wardrobe before I pass judgement

BUT I have a few main concerns

- Yen, Dandelion and Triss. I gotta see who they grab for these pivotal roles.

- His swordmanship. I want Cavill to be trained how to proeprly used a sword. Not barabarian hack n slash. Also they need to factor in the spins and the flourishes. Its a key part of the Witcher's sword style.

- Storyline. Are they following the first two books or are they following the Ciri storyline form the books? (This may have already been answered and I just missed it)

They may give more screen time to Triss in the show, but she doesn't really have a big role in the books.

I imagine that the first season would probably cover some parts of the original books (The Last Wish, A Shard of Ice, the dragon hunt, the one where he visits Brokilon and the Law of Surprise, are quite important overall) while giving a bigger role to the first war between Niflgard and the North (which is seen as background information) and the leaders of the the Kingdom of Cintra. The first (or second) season could end with Geralt finding Ciri and bringing her to Kaer Morhen.

I imagine the show would give a bigger role to the conflict and political turmoil, to fill the void left by GoT ending, and that they'll use it as a thread to connect a show that would suffer from a "monster of the week" like structure if they do a more straight adaptation from the first two books.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Cavill is a good casting choice. I'm not a fan of his portrayal of Superman in DCEU, but I also remember his role from The Tudors. He portrayed one of my favourite characters from that series. I think he'll do fine as Geralt.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this, the more I think that this is a slam dunk casting choice.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone worried about this should check him out in Mission Impossible. He does good work when you give him a good project.

Benditormenta

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Spanish books covers are amazing.

You're damn right.

9788498890372.jpg

9788498890433.jpg

71Y-L0h6AUL.jpg

81Xq1sLOnOL.jpg

bautismofuego_gr.jpg

9788498890570.jpg

9788498890624.jpg

978849889048.JPG

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017

Those top ones are produced in the U.K. as well. I have them, since I thought the U.S. covers were not to my liking and are not really relevant to what is happening in the stories. Europe has better covers over all.

(polish)
Czas_pogardy_2.jpg

(russian)
04_sapkowski.jpg

(spanish)
Baptism_of_Fire_exclusive_spanish_cover.jpg

This Spanish cover above depicts how Geralt became knighted as "Geralt of Rivia" by Meve, which is what CD Projekt's Gwent Single Player will be about.

(another spanish cover - time of contempt)
Time_of_Contempt_exclusive_spanish_cover.jpg

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's a great superman. Just had to work with a shit script three times.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Those top ones are produced in the U.K. as well. I have them, since I thought the U.S. covers were not to my liking and are not really relevant to what is happening in the stories. Europe has better covers over all.

(polish)
Czas_pogardy_2.jpg

(russian)
04_sapkowski.jpg

(spanish)

This Spanish cover above depicts how Geralt became knighted as "Geralt of Rivia" by Meve, which is what CD Projekt's Gwent Single Player will be about.

The ones that the previous poster linked are the ones from the current Spanish edition (Alamut, the one I have) while a google search has told me that Artifex is an editorial from Argentina so I imagine it's the Latin American version. Both are equally amazing in different ways.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Triss is not a pivotal role. She's a very minor character in the books. If they're doing the short stories she isn't even going to be in the series.

She'll likely be in the Netflix series. They gave her a character bio on Twitter. Not able to track down the tweet, but

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should give a try in find Polish actresses. They may find more chances of finding a closer Yennefer with good actings skills than some otehr famous actresses. And why not search in all the world and dig? Just like how some video games offer opportunities to discover great talents in some actors these days and the media allows them to show their skills.
Why would they be looking for a Polish actress for a character of faux-Germanic origin?
These characters and their stories span a whole continent, one shouldn't try to inject them with additional Polishness just because of the author's nationality.

Yo, those stretched low-rez "textures" are amaaazing.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they aren't dead set on not giving him some form of beard as they'll have to try to age Henry Cavill at least a bit, and that's a relatively decent way to do it.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Yo, those stretched low-rez "textures" are amaaazing.

I don't know about your taste man if your only complaint is the book cover not having Ray Tracing graphics on the cover.

Look at this cover here in the U.S.:

latest

Wow it depicts a boss battle in Witcher 2! Doesn't happen in the books. Looks nice and pops certainly, but not relevant.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
She'll likely be in the Netflix series. They gave her a character bio on Twitter. Not able to track down the tweet, but
Those character bios almost have to be misleading though as to the context of the actual show. The showrunner shared bios for characters that only show up in the last two books (Leo Bonhart and Angoulême). And unless this one season is somehow going to encapsulate the whole saga, I doubt those characters are going to show up.

Will this adapt the books? How different are they from the game (prequels?? Or the game is a prequel??)
The games (plural) are very different from the books. The books are set years before the games, but the games can best be seen as a 'what if' scenario instead of an actual sequel, since they're written without any input from the original writer and (I'll spoiler this just in case, but it isn't really a spoiler if you've played The Witcher games)
Geralt and Yennefer both die in the last book.

The games also change a bunch of stuff in favor for gameplay. The most obvious example is the Witcher Signs. In the games the Witcher Signs are pretty powerful magic that can set people on fire, control their actions, block out all damage, etc. In the books Witcher Signs are described by Yennefer to Ciri as cheap parlor tricks that are only really useful for distracting someone or lighting a torch. Geralt himself only uses a Sign once or twice in the entire book series.

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Wow it depicts a boss battle in Witcher 2! Doesn't happen in the books. Looks nice and pops certainly, but not relevant.
Unlike like the Baptism Of Fire cover depicting the memorable battle scene where Geralt fought alongside a squad of Clone Tool Troopers (I especially like the ones riding photographs of horses).

It's not a big deal either way. They're just shoddy covers for books in a genre doomed to look embarrassing on a shelf, doubly so if they've been adapted to another medium.

The games (plural) are very different from the books. The books are set years before the games, but the games can best be seen as a 'what if' scenario instead of an actual sequel, since they're written without any input from the original writer and (I'll spoiler this just in case, but it isn't really a spoiler if you've played The Witcher games)
The spoiler is debatable. You certainly can interpret it that way, but
Yennefer is definitely alive at the end of that chapter - she's last described as "still unconscious," which would be a pretty weird thing to say about a corpse.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Those character bios almost have to be misleading though as to the context of the actual show. The showrunner shared bios for characters that only show up in the last two books (Leo Bonhart and Angoulême). And unless this one season is somehow going to encapsulate the whole saga, I doubt those characters are going to show up.

The games also change a bunch of stuff in favor for gameplay. The most obvious example is the Witcher Signs. In the games the Witcher Signs are pretty powerful magic that can set people on fire, control their actions, block out all damage, etc. In the books Witcher Signs are described by Yennefer to Ciri as cheap parlor tricks that are only really useful for distracting someone or lighting a torch. Geralt himself only uses a Sign once or twice in the entire book series.

You can't 100% sure say that they die at the end of the last book, however. Lady of the Lake is deeply linked to the Arthurian legend and the way the books end is a direct reference to the death of King Arthur. Both Geralt and Arthur are told how they're going to die, both actually die, but at the end of the Arthurian legend the later is sent to Avalon, where he's healed from his wound and stays sleep, waiting for the day when he may be needed again in a similar manner to how Geralt and Yen are sent to a different plane of existence.

Season of Storms (released in 2013) has a man that may be Geralt appearing in the epilogue, which is set like 200 years after the events of Lady of the Lake. It's intentionally left open.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The spoiler is debatable. You certainly can interpret it that way, but
Yennefer is definitely alive at the end of that chapter - she's last described as "still unconscious," which would be a pretty weird thing to say about a corpse.
The ending open for interpretation, I agree. However, the ending has Geralt and Yennefer being transported to the Isle of Avalon, which can very easily be seen as a metaphor for 'they both died', Lady of the Lake is filled with Arthurian references and the way the story ends for Geralt and Yen mirrors the death of Arthur. You also gotta remember that much of the story in The Lady of the Lake is told from Ciri's perspective, who might've embellished the truth about some stuff to hide the fact that both her parent figures are dead.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Screenshot_20180905-135648.jpg

(I havent seen Mission Impossible yet)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Do you not like money and would you not take some roles just to make a ton of it Dremorak? Maybe you and the people that were outraged by a very basic statement that applies to everyone is levitating above the rest of humanity.
I think it was the way he said it, it kind of came across as "I dont give a fuck, I'm rich! lololol"

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Something I don't really get, why is the guy who plays Superman auditioning for a Netflix fantasy series?

I mean good for him if he is a fan, but at 10+ episodes a year, this will probably take up a lot of his time. And despite the TV bias being gone for a few years now, unless this blows up worldwide it probably will at least not further his career.

If you have followed his box office record, you will find that he is never a box office draw or award nomination magnet. Even after Mission Impossible, there are no major deals waiting for him. Worst, Warner Brother are now considering recast Superman for the DCEU soft reboot. I think this deal is unfortunately all he could get right now.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
swedish_chef.jpg

(polish)
Czas_pogardy_2.jpg

(russian)
04_sapkowski.jpg

(spanish)

Even if they are used in other countries now, the spanish ones were made originally for spain, the quality of the books here are stellar, translatuon and all. Read an article about the artist (he is from south america, IIRC) and used photographs to make the realistic textures of his drawings.
I need to still buy the last 2, seems is the the same artist trying action scenes, the photographs in the background are really obvious in the last one.

I remember when the witcher 2 released, last wish and sword of destiny got paperback versions with CDPR geralt witcher 2 covers. Love the games, but those were crappy as hell. Im glad they reverted back to the amazing covers (iirc the only book missing at the time was lady of the lake, that had a really long translating process).

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know about your taste man if your only complaint is the book cover not having Ray Tracing graphics on the cover.

Look at this cover here in the U.S.:

latest

This confused me so much reading through the saga (before touching the games). The whole time I'm wondering at what point is Geralt going to fight this weird giant scarecrow-like thing, and it never ends up happening.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
haven't seen him in anything but i think he could look good as Geralt.

can't wait to see who plays Yennefer/Triss/Ciri.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I hope he's going to look in the show something like this (source - Executive Producer Tomasz Baginski)

http:///XeUc.jpg

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Something I don't really get, why is the guy who plays Superman auditioning for a Netflix fantasy series?

I mean good for him if he is a fan, but at 10+ episodes a year, this will probably take up a lot of his time. And despite the TV bias being gone for a few years now, unless this blows up worldwide it probably will at least not further his career.

TV and Streaming is much more lucrative cash wise at least right now than movies. Ask any working actor.

Cavill though, and why I like the guy, loves the source material video games AND books so I'm sure that informed his interest and desire more than anything else. Casting him will broaden the reach of this show bigly especially with the demographics that might not have tuned in if all they knew was it was an adaptation of popular video game and fantasy books. If they keep with the positive casting choices I predict this show will get a second season easy.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
If you have followed his box office record, you will find that he is never a box office draw or award nomination magnet. Even after Mission Impossible, there are no major deals waiting for him. Worst, Warner Brother are now considering recast Superman for the DCEU soft reboot. I think this deal is unfortunately all he could get right now.
What, seriously? I thought WB is finally getting its act together? Give the man a good script, have Hans Zimmer develop his Man of Steel score further, and a sequel could be something special.
I need a proper Man of Steel 2 with more Cavill and more Zimmer. :(

Glad to see he'll be working on a passion project for the foreseeable future though!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he's going to look in the show something like this (source - Executive Producer Tomasz Baginski)

http:///XeUc.jpg

Thats most likely how is going to look, no beard and all.
And it works, is very similar to his depitction on the books and the witcher 1.

Seems they are working with a significant production budget (unless they blew most of if on Cavill, or he did it cheap because hes a fan), gonna be interesting to see the end result

Sean Bean is that you?
Alejandro Colucci loves some Sean Bean Geralt lol

EDIT
Found the original pencil concept of the first spanish book in his website, nice.
639c4e_6cf0616cdc004807b1053f124f8585f0~mv2.jpg

Last edited: