Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
bosslogic.the_.witcher-600x841.jpg
Amazing even if it's fan made!

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Ooh he'll kill it, I hope they get writers to match his quality as an actor. Is the author involved?

He learned his lesson after talking down to CDPR and claiming they wouldn't make much money off his IP because vidya gamz suk. He's going all in for the show adaption and it's smart of him considering the popularity of the games and the GoT tv show

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
You guys need to go watch some more Cavill movies. He's done more than just Sups and MI. And he's actually decent in the Tutors, too.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I... don't think I want this. I asked around a little and no one I know who has played the The Witcher games is happy with this as no one I asked really seem to like his acting. I personally didn't really like his performance as Superman and I can't really see him in the role of Geralt, but I hope I'm in the wrong here. At least he's a fan of the games, which is a big plus.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the very least interested in Cavill having the role, despite not being high on my personal list.

I would have liked if Josh Holloway landed it. Loved his lead role in Colony, and now that the show is canned it would have been nice to see him move up. Plus he's good at the gruff snark and temperament that Geralt displays in the books.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Triss is a very seconsay character in the novels btw. Don't expect to see her a whole lot.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In the books doesn't Geralt usually have a clean shaven face rather then a beard? Just trying to picture what he'll look like sans beard but with the white hair.

Also wonder if they are going to have him trim down any? IIRC the book Geralt is lanky/slim.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's supposed to come out either late 2019 or early 2020. And yes, the main source material is the books.
One would think there'd be inspiration from the games, no? I would think, at least, visually they'd take some key elements from the game to make it more familiar to gamers (as that is what caused a surge in popularity in many areas). I haven't read the books, but from what I gather, there's a fair amount of differences.
In the books doesn't Geralt usually have a clean shaven face rather then a beard? Just trying to picture what he'll look like sans beard but with the white hair.

Also wonder if they are going to have him trim down any? IIRC the book Geralt is lanky/slim.
Maybe, yeah. It wouldn't be particularly difficult for him to trim down though as he's already built. Probably only take a few months, and he could easily gain size back quickly for the next DC movie in a short time period. Once you've had it, it's much easier to get back. Unless of course, they're filming concurrently or one right after the other.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
He's 35...and it's the book Geralt, not the Games Geralt...how old did you think he was?
Game Geralt is what, 100 years? With book Geralt being 80-90? Not a massive difference. How old did you think he was?

Henry's age poses a problem because they will have to do more make-up, more than Mads who has very marked facial features, more in phase with Geralt.

The Trial of the Grasses and its ensuing mutations kind of make "age" less of a factor for Geralt. Witchers don't really age like normal people. Geralt is pretty much described as appearing to be in his mid to late thirties in the bits I've seen.

I agree that he has an older look in the game, however that is also the character's interest: an average old man with a hoarse voice. I'm already afraid Henry Cavill will force his voice. We'll see what happens, and I don't want to assume anything, but it's going to be complicated to make it credible.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
People will get confused when he doesnt look like Witcher 3 Geralt, since this is based off the books he will probably look young and with long loose hair

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
One would think there'd be inspiration from the games, no? I would think, at least, visually they'd take some key elements from the game to make it more familiar to gamers (as that is what caused a surge in popularity in many areas). I haven't read the books, but from what I gather, there's a fair amount of differences.

Well the show is an original story. I'm sure they will take a lot of from the games, particularly the look of characters. But I think I read somewhere that if the book and game differed on something, they would use what was in the book instead of game. That shouldn't be too many things.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the show is an original story. I'm sure they will take a lot of from the games, particularly the look of characters. But I think I read somewhere that if the book and game differed on something, they would use what was in the book instead of game. That shouldn't be too many things.
It'll be interesting to see how things are adapted when it finally release. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be decent at worst, but as always, they won't be able to satisfy everyone. Here's hoping it satisfies more fans than not.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
It'll be interesting to see how things are adapted when it finally release. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be decent at worst, but as always, they won't be able to satisfy everyone. Here's hoping it satisfies more fans than not.
I'm so excited for this show. I've only read a bit of the first book after I played Witcher 3, but I think CD Projekt Red did a great job of adapting the books into a game. While there are differences, I think they will be pretty minuscule. Then again, I have only read a bit of the first book, so I don't know if the differences are greater in later books.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see him returning to TV after "graduating" to big-budget movies.

Snake Versus

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix doesn't seem like TV anymore, with numerous stars and big-time directors doing stuff for the platform (regardless of Netflix Original Series or Netflix Original Movie).

That said, I loooooooove this casting. But I'm biased cause I love Henry Cavill.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I would have liked if Josh Holloway landed it. Loved his lead role in Colony, and now that the show is canned it would have been nice to see him move up. Plus he's good at the gruff snark and temperament that Geralt displays in the books.
I liked him a lot in Colony, and he often has a lot of Geralt like demeanor on that show, but he always comes across a bit Southern to me even if his character isn't. He just can't seem to shed that in any of the roles Ive seen him in. Also logistically I read an interview where he said the reason he originally took the Colony job was cause it was filming in LA and he didn't have to move away from his family, so I doubt he would have jumped at an overseas job anyways.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
He's a good actor and I like his work. I don't know about this particular role though: Geralt is supposed to be a freak who creeps regular people out, and I don't know how you get Henry Cavill to that place. He's basically as clean-cut as human beings come lol.

The voice I'm unsure of too. I'm just so used to the raspy, emotionally detached voice from the games. I know this is based on the books rather than the games, but I would've liked to see them keep that. Maybe he'll try for it, but I worry it might come off as hokey given his real voice.

On the bright side, the action should be great with Cavill in the role.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for this show. I've only read a bit of the first book after I played Witcher 3, but I think CD Projekt Red did a great job of adapting the books into a game. While there are differences, I think they will be pretty minuscule. Then again, I have only read a bit of the first book, so I don't know if the differences are greater in later books.
It's certainly possible that there are more changes in later books. Like you though, I don't know much of anything about the books. It's nice in a way though as I'm sure there will be some surprises in store for people like us.

Nov 5, 2017
Would really be utterly perfect casting but it comes down to how much Netflix wants to pay and if she'd even be up for it.

Triss though I have no idea who I want for. Could kinda be anyone.

She even has that seductive voice that has a little hint of mysteriousness and even a little "bad girl" vibe about her. Not to mention the look is as close to a dead ringer as you'll get. If they can afford Cavill, I assume they can afford her, Henry Cavill is a pretty big name right now, but obviously yeah, schedules and stuff have to line up, or she may not even want to do it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My girlfriend reacted so excited to this. I should seriously start working out.

Great choice of actor though. Cavill is a walking tank and so is Geralt.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series ruined already..

I mean..he was ayeet in Tudors... but... he's not Geralt... I'm sorry.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's a good actor and I like his work. I don't know about this particular role though: Geralt is supposed to be a freak who creeps regular people out, and I don't know how you get Henry Cavill to that place. He's basically as clean-cut as human beings come lol.

The voice I'm unsure of too. I'm just so used to the raspy, emotionally detached voice from the games. I know this is based on the books rather than the games, but I would've liked to see them keep that. Maybe he'll try for it, but I worry it might come off as hokey given his real voice.

On the bright side, the action should be great with Cavill in the role.

Frankly, the only physically offputting thing about Geralt in all the media I've seen him in are his eyes. He's a handsome, muscular, tall guy otherwise. Surprise, that's Henry Cavill.

That voice from the games is something I don't think Cavill will be imitating.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the book covers gave me an ideal look for Geralt that I kept in my head when reading the books. I think Cavill can pull it off.

5591620-9542499007-15375.jpg

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Frankly, the only physically offputting thing about Geralt in all the media I've seen him in are his eyes. He's a handsome, muscular, tall guy otherwise. Surprise, that's Henry Cavill.

That voice from the games is something I don't think Cavill will be imitating.
Book Geralt is absolutely not a handsome guy. He is frequently described as having a "hideous smile".

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's an albino with non-human catlike eyes, I'd say he looks pretty freakish! Hopefully he'll be scarred too.

Book Geralt is absolutely not a handsome guy. He is frequently described as having a "hideous smile".

He might be canonically written as ugly or whatever but as far as visual depictions go he's a pretty good-looking dude, and I'm not just going by the games. There was a Polish Witcher movie and tv series from the early-2000s where Geralt was played by two handsome actors and the artwork from the book series covers before they started using the CDPR artwork showcased a Geralt who was similarly attractive (just look at the Van Bur3n's post above. That was the artwork for the cover of one of the books).