• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It cracks me up that a thread about a grocery store cashier (among other things) has 500+ posts and counting, and that this girl will live her life never knowing about any of it. lol

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Hard disagree.

You have to think about whether or not you will make them uncomfortable and making things awkward for the both of you. How is that going to affect future interactions? Will they avoid you? Will you avoid that location entirely?

If it's a place you frequent it's a bad idea.

Here's the other thing: women are constantly being hit on, asked out, creeped on, etc. They're at work, give them some fucking peace. Don't be that guy.
Harder disagree. Op said they get along so casually dropping in fancy getting a coffee is no biggie. She says no you move on.

This would have been just one of the many ways people started dating before Tinder and social media. It's not new and not weird.

Oct 27, 2017
No. No. No. No, that's not how this works. The OP claims he has "kindled a bit of a friendship" with the cashier, but they are not friends. They have never spent any time together outside of her customer service role. They have never had a conversation where she wasn't being paid to be nice to him. He didn't even know she had a boyfriend already.

I recommend you guys read this post for an example of how wildly out of control these situations can get when a man mistakes basic human interaction with a retail serviceperson as flirting. Now, I'm not saying the OP would do something like this...but we don't know. We don't have any idea who he is, and more importantly, neither does the girl he's talking to. "Excuse me, can I speak to a manager, the girl on checkout 5 was very rude to me just now..."

The ground rules here really aren't hard. Don't ask people on dates in situations where they're physically stuck with you. Don't ask people on dates in places where there are no witnesses around, like empty parking lots. Don't ask people on dates in situations where their job and livelihood depends on making you happy. This shouldn't be difficult. But of course it becomes difficult because every Stalker Sammy has a story about how his brother's friend asked out a girl at Starbucks and she said yes so maybe it'll work for him too. That's how stalkers operate; the slightest bit of "hope," even if it has nothing to do with their particular situation, is enough to keep them going even when all available evidence says the person is not interested or has even told them such repeatedly.

Oh, and...

"Be attractive, don't be unattractive." Yeah, no shit. People are more willing to say yes if a person they're actually attracted to asks them out. Thanks for this bold scientific inquiry. The problem is that because you have no idea if the other person finds you attractive, you should not be asking them out in a situation where it is potentially unsafe for them to say no.
Jesus fucking Christ that reddit post. Part of me wants to believe it's not true but sadly I know it is.

Just another reason to hate people. You "hitting on the ladies at work is cool" posters need to read that shit and have a think.

Oct 27, 2017
It cracks me up that a thread about a grocery store cashier (among other things) has 500+ posts and counting, and that this girl will live her life never knowing about any of it. lol

It's a sobering thought that girl cashiers like her could have pages and pages of rants in incel forums just because she didn't smile enough / look in the general direction of an incel who shopped there.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A charismatic, socially adept person could pull this off.

A person who's first thought after deciding they want to ask someone out is to learn oragami probably can't.

You're right. That's a failure on my part. Makes more sense why people reacted strongly. I actually roleplayed it with my wife while mentioning the origami and she said I was creepy.

My apologies all.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a meme. People are just attacking each other based on 'creep' factor, lol
Minimum regret social interactions lmao
- Hey, would you like to grab a coffee someday?

- Sorry I'm not interested

- Oh ok, have a nice day!

How can that little interaction be creepier than looking the person up in social media is still beyond me and (again) as someone who works with clients I'd say please don't do that, ever.

Exactly, this is fine.

The origami thing could have been a talking point for later, if things actually developed.
Anyway, gg OP, it was worth a try.
I recommend you guys read this post

Lol, that went out of hand, fast.
About right here: "I asked for her number anyway though laughing saying if she's not serious about the guy she should give me a shot one day haha"

Could detect the arrogance and indifference from a mile away.
Seems really extreme, and I doubt most people even think like that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I would have invited myself along on the hike and waited for an opportune moment, like dusk, to propose a threesome.

OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
http:///HfAd.jpeg
Thank you for the advice, conversation, and education ERA
This one is for everybody in RESETERA haha 😁
Cheers!

Last edited:
ERA's origami flower
OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
http:///yfAd.jpeg

Thank you for the advice, conversation, and education ERA
This one is for everybody in RESETERA haha 😁
Cheers!

Some of the better quotes (there were many)
Don't ask a customer service person on a date at their workplace. Thanks.
Please leave her alone. She isn't there to be hit on, she's there to work.
You gotta know when to fold 'em
It's like, there's nothing wrong with asking someone on a date per se, but there's appropriate times and places for that, not during their work shift with an origami crane.
OP you should threadmark your response
Idk how I missed this but this title made me genuinely smile OP , wholesome asF, thank you
I'm glad the OP realized this was no bueno but still learned how to do a cool craft. Just in general, don't ask out people at work.
thank god you discovered this organically rather than origamically.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Honestly OP handled himself pretty damn well throughout this thread. Cheers.

Reading some of the comments.. some people have no concept of how dating worked before all the apps. It's okay to ask someone out in public - just don't be a creep about it.

The OP had a history of small talk with the individual- no harm in asking for a coffee - although the fact she brought up her bf right away is probably a sign she knew you were crushing on her.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Well done, OP. You've mastered the flower, now give this a shot. Write under the wing "Let's bee friends" and give it to her.

466b1e09c9220b6f0033fcdf42105dcc.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I kinda feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I've known several coworkers that went out on dates with customers.

This was like 1999-2007 in the pre tinder and mostly pre social media days though so are things super different now that makes this the worst thing ever?
I've went on dates and ended up in relationships with girls (customers and co-workers) that asked me out at work. I don't see the big deal with it. Just casually ask her and if she says no then move on. Don't make a big deal about it.
Edit: Oops, thought it said 2 pages not 12.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I've went on dates and ended up in relationships with girls (customers and co-workers) that asked me out at work. I don't see the big deal with it. Just casually ask her and if she says no then move on. Don't make a big deal about it.
Edit: Oops, thought it said 2 pages not 12.

Since you quoted my post I just want the thread to know that I thought heavily about this over a few days and discussed it with my wife and got her input and I kinda evolved my opinion on the subject. As a side note, this is one of those topics that seems to be heavily debated all over the internet.

I previously felt that people typically get to ask out other people one time and then they get to take their rejection and leave.

Other posters here were making an argument that made it sound like this woman is being asked out the one time by this one person and then she would forever be uncomfortable in her place of employment which - seemed very exaggerated to me.

What I hadn't considered is the sheer frequency and constant barrage of flirtation and advances that customer facing women have to deal with on a daily basis. It never occurred to me that they get hit on about as often as a god damn bartender - who typically has heard every line in the book. So adding to a day in and day out pile of constant advances seems substantially more cruel in that context. Not only that, like the bartender, it drastically reduces your chances of success since she is likely to be defensive or apathetic to really anyone hitting on her as a result. From the male perspective, most of us get hit on so infrequently that it's usually both flattering and unusual. The few times this happened to me in customer service, it wasn't a big deal because it was maybe a biannual event?

Further, there is definitely an ethical sliding scale to this where the more the person depends on being nice to you for their income, the more you shouldn't ask them out with tipped employees being the most egregious.

So if I had to give my advice over again, it would be that if she was interested in you then she has to make the first move. I'd also operate under the assumption that most of these young and attractive women working retail and customer service jobs, have heard and seen it all before.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Are people really saying you should never ask anyone out at their workplace? I mean if that's literally the only place you see/know them from and you like them and want to know if they like you, what on earth should you do? Wait outside? That's creepy, send a random facebook request? Again, creepy as hell.

Your only option is to either broach the subject while at the workplace or just say nothing and potentially miss out on an amazing relationship.

There's no harm in simply asking someone out, it's how you go about it that matters.Simply asking if they would be interested in grabbing some coffee or something sometime? All they have to do is say yes/no/they are seeing someone.

Oct 27, 2017
Since you quoted my post I just want the thread to know that I thought heavily about this over a few days and discussed it with my wife and got her input and I kinda evolved my opinion on the subject. As a side note, this is one of those topics that seems to be heavily debated all over the internet.

I previously felt that people typically get to ask out other people one time and then they get to take their rejection and leave.

Other posters here were making an argument that made it sound like this woman is being asked out the one time by this one person and then she would forever be uncomfortable in her place of employment which - seemed very exaggerated to me.

What I hadn't considered is the sheer frequency and constant barrage of flirtation and advances that customer facing women have to deal with on a daily basis. It never occurred to me that they get hit on about as often as a god damn bartender - who typically has heard every line in the book. So adding to a day in and day out pile of constant advances seems substantially more cruel in that context. Not only that, like the bartender, it drastically reduces your chances of success since she is likely to be defensive or apathetic to really anyone hitting on her as a result. From the male perspective, most of us get hit on so infrequently that it's usually both flattering and unusual. The few times this happened to me in customer service, it wasn't a big deal because it was maybe a biannual event?

Further, there is definitely an ethical sliding scale to this where the more the person depends on being nice to you for their income, the more you shouldn't ask them out with tipped employees being the most egregious.

So if I had to give my advice over again, it would be that if she was interested in you then she has to make the first move. I'd also operate under the assumption that most of these young and attractive women working retail and customer service jobs, have heard and seen it all before.
You just restored my faith in Humanity. Nice.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really saying you should never ask anyone out at their workplace? I mean if that's literally the only place you see/know them from and you like them and want to know if they like you, what on earth should you do? Wait outside? That's creepy, send a random facebook request? Again, creepy as hell.

Your only option is to either broach the subject while at the workplace or just say nothing and potentially miss out on an amazing relationship.

There's no harm in simply asking someone out, it's how you go about it that matters.Simply asking if they would be interested in grabbing some coffee or something sometime? All they have to do is say yes/no/they are seeing someone.
you're assuming that at worst this is an inconvenience for the employee... it's not

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

There is harm to the employee, maybe not to you. You're being selfish and not even thinking about the employee, how the constant advances affect her work and livelihood. You're not thinking of repeat customers and how this affects future transactions. You're not thinking about a customer who seeks such an encounter and is only interested in asking an employee out, and once rejected, never comes back to be a customer again. You make it out to be like there's a need to ask an employee out or you miss out on an amazing relationship, but this "amazing" is based on nothing and isn't worth trusting as advice. There are many legitimate avenues of asking out, but not when an employee whose job is to be nice and works there for however long has to deal with the various outcomes of customers asking her out: stalking, rejection leading to insults or further to violence, being made uncomfortable, and a distraction from doing her job.

Read thewienke 's post above when you start thinking it from the employee's perspective and how that might change your mind.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ that reddit post. Part of me wants to believe it's not true but sadly I know it is.

Just another reason to hate people. You "hitting on the ladies at work is cool" posters need to read that shit and have a think.
Yeah, that Reddit post really is something. I knew what I was in for when I clicked that link, but it was so much worse than I had thought. The lack of self-awareness of this guy is astounding (and that's his side, imagine how the clerk would recount all this).

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Do NOT just put your number in a folded up crane, bro. Don't blow this. Do the origami thing but write her a hand written letter saying why you're drawn to her. Don't just stick a number in there.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Do NOT just put your number in a folded up crane, bro. Don't blow this. Do the origami thing but write her a hand written letter saying why you're drawn to her. Don't just stick a number in there.

Edit: to all the people just saying to ask her out: you're outta your fucking minds. Don't put someone on the spot like that. OPs idea is cute it just needs adjusting. Like I said, write her something. Don't just flippantly ask her out while customers rack up behind you in line.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you did well.

I'm so glad you didn't do some creepy ass shit and instead you had a regular conversation and learnt some Origami.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There is harm to the employee, maybe not to you. You're being selfish and not even thinking about the employee, how the constant advances affect her work and livelihood. You're not thinking of repeat customers and how this affects future transactions. You're not thinking about a customer who seeks such an encounter and is only interested in asking an employee out, and once rejected, never comes back to be a customer again. You make it out to be like there's a need to ask an employee out or you miss out on an amazing relationship, but this "amazing" is based on nothing and isn't worth trusting as advice. There are many legitimate avenues of asking out, but not when an employee who's job is to be nice and works there for however long has to deal with the various outcomes of customers asking her out: stalking, rejection leading to insults or further to violence, being made uncomfortable, and a distraction from doing her job.

You're projecting on what I said.

What do you think people did before the internet? If you're respectful and not creepy it is ok to ask someone if they'd like to get a drink, there is literally nothing harmful about simply asking that, they do not have to say yes and most people are levelheaded enough to understand no and be ok with it.

There's always going to be those that aren't but you can't tell everyone else that they shouldn't because "This other random crazy person did this and therefore no one should be allowed to."

I mean there's crazy people that use Tinder, should everyone else stop being able to use it because others have did bad things by using it?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

What do you think people did before the internet? If you're respectful and not creepy it is ok to ask someone if they'd like to get a drink, there is literally nothing harmful about simply asking that, they do not have to say yes and most people are levelheaded enough to understand no and be ok with it.

There's always going to be those that aren't but you can't tell everyone else that they shouldn't because "This other random crazy person did this and therefore no one should be allowed to."

I mean there's crazy people that use Tinder, should everyone else stop being able to use it because others have did bad things by using it?
Before the internet, people were asked out not at work. It's not the end of the world to not ask someone out at work. It's not just one rare occurrence of some random crazy person. There are a lot. You're not realising how frequent employees are chatted up at work. Women can't know who's good or bad. Who can take rejection well. When women tell you not to ask them out at work as the women have done in this thread and the majority of them would prefer not to, maybe it's a good idea to listen to them.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

No offense dude but people have explained already how it DOES effect people and it does harm them. You can't just say it's perfectly harmless.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Before the internet, people were asked out not at work. It's not the end of the world to not ask someone out at work. It's not just one rare occurrence of some random crazy person. There are a lot. You're not realising how frequent employees are chatted up at work. Women can't know who's good or bad. Who can take rejection well. When women tell you not to ask them out at work as the women have done in this thread and the majority of them would prefer not to, maybe it's a good idea to listen to them.
Yeah, I was thinking that before the internet we used to have these things called "social gatherings", "parties" and whatnot. Those were occasions we'd be out somewhere with other people to interact with. Sounds wild.