g23

Oct 27, 2017
Should I skip the Ninja Theory entry?

I'm looking at getting the HD collection which also includes 4SE, but are there certain titles I should skip since I don't have too much time per week to game.

Also, any tips for someone starting out with the series would be appreciated (Difficulty, Settings, etc). I usually play WRPG's and FPS games so character focused action games are not really my comfort zone.

Thanks.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Don't skip anything! Play it on normal and if you have any hard time just switch to easy. Play them in chronological order. I don't understand why people don't do that?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
My suggestion:

DMC1 > DMC3 > DMC4.

If you like them all, play DMC2. (Just to see how bad it is. It comes in the HD collection so it won't cost you)

If you get invested to the story, skip the Ninja Theory title

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Skip DmC cutscenes and play the game, play the Definitive Edition not the vanilla.
Play all DMC games, don't touch DMC 2.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I recommend just playing DMC3 and 4. But if you want to get into DMC5 you can just watch the recap the game will provide. DMC4 is the closest to 5 tho.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the quick replies. How do DMC1-3's gameplay hold up? Do they translate well to modern gameplay standards.

Also is the Ninja Theory one really that bad? I heard it was designed to be more friendly gameplay wise to Western audiences. Is this true?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
1 3 4

and if you got time DmC because why not.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
No. DmC is great, if you're going to skip any games then skip 1 and 2. Play them in release order, or it's going to be rough going back to the older entries.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the quick replies. How do DMC1-3's gameplay hold up? Do they translate well to modern gameplay standards.

Also is the Ninja Theory one really that bad? I heard it was designed to be more friendly gameplay wise to Western audiences. Is this true?

DMC3 is the best game in the series.

So yes, it holds up.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

DMC1 is a bit tough to adjust to nowadays but it's still very good. DMC3&4 are just as great today as they were when they were released.

DmC is thoroughly fine. There's nothing particularly good about it, but there's also nothing particularly bad about it gameplay wise (Talking of the DE here, not the vanilla release). Everything else though? Phew.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
SKIP DMC 2

Other than that play them in release order

DMC
DMC 3
DMC 4
DMC (made by Ninja theory)

The special editions of the games available on PS4/Xbox/pc are the best ways to play.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017

1 and 2 aged badly. The camera angle is the biggest problem with the titles. I wouldn't recommend them to a newcomers. It's going to be rough, and might put a bad taste as your introduction.

Nah. Most of the vocal complaints are because they gave Dante a different look in a reboot. DE DmC is a solid action game.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I never understand why this question is asked for any series. Just play them in order of release.

also don't listen to anyone that says to skip DmC. It's no canon, but it's a fucking fantastic game.

edit: oh yeah, skip 2. It doesn't matter and it's a shit game.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
DMC1 is still a great game but it depends on the tolerance for old games you have, on how much you will enjoy the ride that is DMC1 (helps if you played old RE games).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
3 -> 4 -> 5
DmC if you are up for more.

2 is just boring. 1 doesn't really aged well.

3 is the prequel and the beginning of the story of all of them so it's a good starting point.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
In release order. (also because gameplay gets better so it would be hard to go back)
Just skip DMC2 if you cant get into it, its not a good game.
EDIT:
I forgeto about DmC... its like a spinoff... like a remake. Not so terrible, not so good. Its like an alternative vision of the franchise. Not necessary to play it for the main series.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
DMC1 is a bizarre Resident Evil spin-off, so it's valuable for what it is. Furthermore, it has amazing atmosphere and soundtrack so I think you have to start there.

DMC3 is the best.

DMC4 is a close second.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you're just doing it to be ready for 5 play 1, 3, 4

If you're just doing it to have a lot of fun and enjoy yourself play 1, 3, 4, DmC

If you're doing it because you hate yourself play 2

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Play them in release order but understand that the chronological order is a bit of a mess. Also, please do NOT skip DmC. You'll want the Definitive Edition and you should definitley set your expectations low for the narrative and writing (though as a hardcore DMC fan even I can admit that you should probably always do that when it comes to this series) but the art direction, combat and level design is fantastic and you shouldn't let the haters put you off.

Just to get it out of the way now...
Story Order: DMC 3 > DMC 1 > DMC 2 > DMC 4 > DMC 5

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Play 1 3 4 and that reboot too . And if u liked all of them , play 2 . Mind u , Dmc 1 hasn't aged well . 3 and 4 are epic AF . Reboot is a good game , with lacklustre characters . The Bob Barbas boss fight is better than any soulsborne boss fight u may have encountered .

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The story is largely drivel, but you come for the action and not the story so just play in any order.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I just finally got into the series with the PS4 HD Collection myself, and I've replayed the very first game a whole bunch of times since, it's honestly my favorite of the games and really short.

I would still give 2 a try, you'll get it with the collection anyways, just to experience it for yourself. Personally I couldn't make it past the third mission until I had enough. Just boring all around, and the combat feels so slow and lacks any punch.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Ok you guys sold me! Just copped the HD collection & have DmC4 and DmC downloading. Think I'm going to start with 3 then move on to either 1 or 4 SE depending on how I'm feeling, but judging by this thread 3 seems like the best starting off point.

I'm looking into the options and difficulty settings as well. Should I be playing with "Auto" mode on or off. Also which difficulty do you guys recommend I start off with?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Dont Skip anything.

Play HD Collection first (in this order - 1 -> 2 -> 3), then play DMC3 and then 4. Play DmC and finally play DMC5.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Ok you guys sold me! Just copped the HD collection & have DmC4 and DmC downloading. Think I'm going to start with 3 then move on to either 1 or 4 SE depending on how I'm feeling, but judging by this thread 3 seems like the best starting off point.

I'm looking into the options and difficulty settings as well. Should I be playing with "Auto" mode on or off. Also which difficulty do you guys recommend I start off with?

If you start with 3, then 1 will be harder to play

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Play them all (even DmC) in order of release - except for maybe 2, which is truly awful.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Don't skip DmC it's the best one.

Though it's probably not a popular opinion, I agree.

I replayed all the games recently, ending with DmC Definitive Edition on PS4. Overall, it's just the most complete package. Enjoyed my time with it so much I got the platinum.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Start with DmC, move onto DMC2 and then finish up with Devil Kings.

If you want to know all the lore, grab the PSP version of Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble as well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
1, 3, 4. 2 can be skipped, as can DmC as it's irrelevant to the rest of the franchise (with the nicest thing that can be said about it being that it's not DMC2).
The Bob Barbas boss fight is better than any soulsborne boss fight u may have encountered .
I would advise against believing this, OP.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I tried to play DMC1 for the first time a few months ago and I just can't. I didn't grow up playing games with camera angles like this. Maybe I'll try 3.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
You MUST play them in this order:

1 > 2 (optional) > 3 > 4 > DmC DE > 5

That is how it will be better for you gameplay wise.

But Story goes like this:

3 > 1 > Anime > 2 > 4 > 5

DmC is another Universe

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter tbh, but the only one that isn't worth playing is 2. I'd say either start with DmC if you want a gentler introduction into the series, with 3 if you want to play the best one from the start or with 1 if you plan to play them all. Only play 2 if you want to have a good laugh.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Either play in release order, or in story order (3 1 4).

You can play DmC anytime after the original series. The story is not connected. Make sure you play the Definitive Edition, which fixed many of the complaints in the original release and actually made it a competitive title in the series. Ignore the haters.

Whatever you do, don't play 2. It's a complete waste of time. You will be bored in the first mission or so, and you will realize it's the same thing copy paste corridors throughout the game.

If you only had to play one, go with 3. It's the best overall package.