• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i3onoYB.jpg

Police say a man was arrested Thursday after he showed up at a Springfield Walmart store with a loaded rifle and a bulletproof vest.
Lt. Mike Lucas with the Springfield Police Department said the incident occurred at about 4:10 p.m. at the Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3150 W. Republic Road.
Lucas said the man showed up to the business with body armor and military-style clothing and then walked inside carrying a "tactical rifle" and another gun.
As shoppers were panicking and fleeing the store, Lucas said the man was taking video on his phone and making comments to people while pushing a shopping cart.
Lucas said the suspect then walked out of the store, where an off-duty firefighter held the suspect at gunpoint until police arrived moments later.
The suspect, a 20-year-old white man, was arrested, but Lucas said police are still working to determine his motives and whether or not he intended to shoot anyone.
Lucas said the man had more than 100 rounds of ammo.
"His intent obviously was to cause chaos here, and he did that," Lucas said.
-------------------
Lucas said Springfield police officers arrived on scene in 3 minutes after the initial 911 call on Thursday. He said the scene was initially chaotic.
Lucas described the suspect as "pretty stoic" during the initial police contact. He said officers would be interviewing the suspect at the jail on Thursday to try to learn more about his motivations.
"His intent was not to cause peace or comfort to anybody that was in the business here," Lucas said. "In fact, he's lucky he's alive still, to be honest."

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
This shit leading up to tax free weekend for school supplies, etc.

Fuck this. This is terrorism.

edit:
this is so fucking absurd. mind blown... pun intended

"In fact, he's lucky he's alive still, to be honest."
He's lucky he's white

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If he was black, carrying a peace sign instead of a gun he would have been shot dead.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Open carry is apparently legal in Missouri as long as the weapon isn't being displayed in an "angry or threatening" manner.

So I wonder if he ever held his gun up or anything or if it was pointed up or down. If so and it's all recorded, he's probably got a lawsuit and a payday on his hands.

Or certainly he could have been looking to commit a mass murder. Which is exactly why open carry laws and lax gun laws are fucking dumb in the first place.

If you have an concealed carry permit, which is not required to conceal or open carry, you're allowed to open carry basically anywhere and any local rules or laws are overridden.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this dude went into WalMart like this so he wouldn't be the victim of a mass shooting incident due to being armed and guarded?

Demonstrating that that's how you now need to go around in public in order to actually feel safe.

I'm probably wrong -- but would be a wild statement.

Maybe but I think a guy with that kind of gear and weaponry probably doesn't have that kind of presence of mind.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
As shoppers were panicking and fleeing the store, Lucas said the man was taking video on his phone and making comments to people while pushing a shopping cart

IDK with that amount of ammo makes me wonder if he was planning to shoot but conscience came over him.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
With open carry being legal, you'll never know if he's going there to shoot up the store until he decides to start shooting up the store.

In the conservative utopia of everyone owning a gun and open carrying, if "good guys with guns" opened fire on a shooter, it'd be difficult for them to determine who the bad guy was. It'd be more difficult for first responders once they hit the scene.

If only there was something else we could do. 🤔

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Since he didn't actually shoot anyone, is it possible he can sue the govt if he had all the right permits? Assuming you need permits to open carry in that area.

This whole story is so nuts, very glad nobody was hurt.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, an open carry troll probably. Not sure why Walmarts seem like such a popular destination. Saw this at a local Walmart where a dude was standing there with an AK variant trying to look badass.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
With open carry being legal, you'll never know if he's going there to shoot up the store until he decides to start shooting up the store.

In the conservative utopia of everyone owning a gun and open carrying, if "good guys with guns" opened fire on a shooter, it'd be difficult for them to determine who the bad guy was. It'd be more difficult for first responders once they hit the scene.

If only there was something else we could do. 🤔

make everyone carry a gun, then anyone you shoot is fair game

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative twitter is lighting up about how a good guy with a gun stopped a mass shooting, but if this guy was just taking video maybe the good guy with a gun is actually a bad guy violating someone's (stupid) right to open carry.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Whatever the reason guy did this.. the talking point is going to be good guy with a gun, even though he walked around the store, parading as in imminent threat, and even existed after the fire alarm was pulled.

If dude wanted to, he could have just walked through the front door and opened fire before anybody with a gun could be a significant factor.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Every time see this open carry shit it literally blows my mind. If I lived in the US I'd never leave my fucking house.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Man you just never know if someone is going to kill you or not, until they do it.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Every time see this open carry shit it literally blows my mind. If I lived in the US I'd never leave my fucking house.
That's the objective of terrorism.

Am I being hyperbolic? Please tell me.
I'm legit worried about going shopping this weekend. It's fucking ridiculous.

I don't want to wear sandals for christ's sake. Gotta be ready to go fast.
Fuck these pieces of shit.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
This is about 2 hrs. south of me....told my wife the other day we're avoiding Wal Marts for a while.

Never thought I'd see a day where I was afraid to go to fucking Wal Mart.

This country is fucked.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, we're facing a terrorist situation in our own country and it comes from our own armed citizens.

We definitely need more gun control, this week has seen a lot more of these events pop up.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is going to get worse.

Living in Orlando, which is a hotspot for tourist has nothing to stop a mass shooting from happening like in Pulse. And I fear for when a mass shooting will happen at my job.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
He's not helping his open carry cause if that's what he was trying for. It's almost as if the idea of walking around armed for no damn reason and in private places is some idiotic notion that went away after the Wild West for a pretty damn good reason.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how to process this.

He went to WALMART, dressed up for combat and just walked around videotaping himself?

And then a firefighter dude pulls a gun on him?

I don't know who succeeded here.

I sure as hell ain't going to a Walmart anytime in the next 15 to 20 years.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Man.... let me keep my black ass out of these backwards ass states. I wouldn't know how to react if I saw someone open carrying a gun. Literally have no idea.

Lonewolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
This fool isn't going to get any money out of this, lets be real. He rolled into a Walmart within a week of a mass shooting having happened at another store in a bulletproof vest and rifle. If he even tried, Walmart's band of lawyers would rip him apart, open carry state or not.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing nobody was hurt.

You wonder what his motivation was since he didn't start shooting. Maybe to cause a panic.

I am guessing he wasn't trying to suicide because then he could have easily forced them to shoot him.

Cold feet possibly. Like he planned to do something but started to have second thoughts.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How long until Wal-Mart gets rid of their open carry policy inside their stores?

Being afraid of getting killed can't be good fire business.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
How long until Wal-Mart gets rid of their open carry policy inside their stores?

Being afraid of getting killed can't be good fire business.
Under Missouri law, it doesn't seem to matter. If he had a conceal carry permit, he could open carry anywhere he wants except schools and churches basically.
This fool isn't going to get any money out of this, lets be real. He rolled into a Walmart within a week of a mass shooting having happened at another store in a bulletproof vest and rifle. If he even tried, Walmart's band of lawyers would rip him apart, open carry state or not.
We'll see, but their laws don't allow for any recent shooting exceptions. Because it's all dumb as hell.

Lonewolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Man.... let me keep my black ass out of these backwards ass states. I wouldn't know how to react if I saw someone open carrying a gun. Literally have no idea.

I live in rural Oregon and the only people I ever see carrying are old guys I wouldn't trust not to accidentally shoot me in a gun fight.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
This is crazy. I actually live here, and go to that Walmart regularly. I don't look forward to people here defending this as his freedom of speech, but I know they will.

Man, I need to get out of the midwest...