• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
I want a nice pair of open backed headphones for gaming. Not 'gaming headphones' though, I don't care about the mic, wireless, etc.

I have a pair of ath-ad700 from many years ago. The pads eventually wore down to point they weren't comfortable, and I just replaced the pads and they're fine, but wondering about maybe stepping it up a level.

Seems like Sennheiser HD 6XX or Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X are the next level up? Are those what I should be considering, try both and pick whatever sounds best? Anything that wouldn't be a lot more expensive but offer big improvements?

Edit: I guess what I want is something with more bass while still keeping the wide soundstage.

Is $449.99 considered a good price for the Air Pods Max headphones?

That's a pretty standard run of the mill discount. They get down to $429 semi-regularly but you'll have to wait. Definitely Black Friday, maybe a little earlier.

Last edited:

DarkStar00

Mar 13, 2022
I want a nice pair of open backed headphones for gaming. Not 'gaming headphones' though, I don't care about the mic, wireless, etc.

I have a pair of ath-ad700 from many years ago. The pads eventually wore down to point they weren't comfortable, and I just replaced the pads and they're fine, but wondering about maybe stepping it up a level.

Seems like Sennheiser HD 6XX or Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X are the next level up? Are those what I should be considering, try both and pick whatever sounds best? Anything that wouldn't be a lot more expensive but offer big improvements?

Edit: I guess what I want is something with more bass while still keeping the wide soundstage.

That's a pretty standard run of the mill discount. They get down to $429 semi-regularly but you'll have to wait. Definitely Black Friday, maybe a little earlier.
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely hold off then.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017

Are you going to be using an amp for running straight out of a controller? HD 6XX will benefit from a amp.

The DT 900 would be a great choice. There is also the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R. The HD6XX will be a lot different than these two. If you could try the DT 900 and the HD 6XX that would be a good option.

I think the DT 1990 Pro is one of the better headphones for gaming. They can be a bit sharp in the treble but that does not bother me. You can get them on sale for like $450. I would suggest the use of an amp. They are built like a tank

On a bit of the higher side there is the Audeze LCD-GX. I own the GX and love it. You might be able to get them used for around $700. Honestly at this point there might be diminishing returns. The GX used a planar magnetic driver which I love. No amp required for these.

Axelstream

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, looking for a headphone recommendation.

I've used a pair of ATH-M50s for the past 8 years or so. They were my first $100+ headphone purchase and I've enjoyed the sound, but they ear cups have compressed and the cable is fraying. They're also somewhat tight on my head. Frankly, they're not very comfortable to wear.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD569s online, but in comparison to the M50s, the HD569 sounds rather flat and lifeless to me. I'm going to return them. Despite the discomfort, I still prefer the M50s -- they just sound more fun and lively. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly jazz, soul/funk, rap, and hip-hop. I don't have a driver or anything, I just plug them into my laptop or phone.

I'd appreciate any help on this front, preferably in a similar price range, but I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Went to an electronics store to grab some stuff and saw that they had the Audeze LCD-2Cs out and so I obviously had to try them on for a bit and... I really liked what I heard, even from my obviously underpowered Qudelix 5k. The fucking bass rumble in Alberto Balsam, damn.

Ugh, I thirsted after these headphones for years and at some point just sort of decided to move on? And didn't think about them again, and now I'm back to thirsting after them. I thought I was done with this whole audiophile thing lol. Gonna try and go audition them properly at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
One question regarding hearing health.

I just got a pair of sennheisers 560s and rhey sound quite good, but there's this thing happening after a couple of hours of use: i feel my ears slightly stuffy or blocked, as if was on an airplane or driving through a tunnel. The feeling is not too exaggerated, but enough to make my ears pop a if I yawn. What I don't get is why, since im listening at a relatively low volume (i can even see the db levels on my phone and its completely fine) and I'm listening to podcasts, so not really the kind of sound that should damage your hearing at all.

Any idea why am i getting this? Am i just not used to open ear headphones? Is it the clamping force? I use my airpods pro aaaall the time and i never get this feeling

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Went to an electronics store to grab some stuff and saw that they had the Audeze LCD-2Cs out and so I obviously had to try them on for a bit and... I really liked what I heard, even from my obviously underpowered Qudelix 5k. The fucking bass rumble in Alberto Balsam, damn.

Ugh, I thirsted after these headphones for years and at some point just sort of decided to move on? And didn't think about them again, and now I'm back to thirsting after them. I thought I was done with this whole audiophile thing lol. Gonna try and go audition them properly at some point.

just-when-I-thought-I-was-out.gif

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Does anyone have a recommendation for wireless exercise earphones? Not looking for anything super fancy but want like 6 or 7 or 8 waterproof. I have nice $300 headphones so not looking for anything like that here

I had a $30 pair of Aukey earphones with the string attached that lasted a few years until i was dumb with them and they were fine but it seems aukey no longer sells stuff on Amazon.

I got the Jabra active 7 a few weeks ago but I returned them because found them heavy and uncomfortable to use (couldn't press controls without digging in ears). And they seemed to aggravate my tinnitus in a way earbuds haven't before.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I've got a pair of HE4XX that I quite like (used to have M40X and Grado SR60s a long time ago). I've been thinking about upgrading or expanding though. I'm wondering if the Sundara is a worthy upgrade or if it's more of the same and not that big of an upgrade. I really like immersion and music with... a lot of stuff going on in it. Post-rock, shoegaze, etc. I still listen to indie rock and emo type stuff too though. I'm assuming I want something with a good soundstage.

I've heard the R70X is a good option potentially, there's the Sundara obvs, or I could go a total different route and try the HD6XX because everyone raves about those (though I know that would give me a totally different more intimate experience). What's worth looking into? Trying to do what the HE4XX does but better, or trying out something different? I want to try to keep it under 300 again, I'm not ready for a big 500+ upgrade.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hi guys, looking for a headphone recommendation.

I've used a pair of ATH-M50s for the past 8 years or so. They were my first $100+ headphone purchase and I've enjoyed the sound, but they ear cups have compressed and the cable is fraying. They're also somewhat tight on my head. Frankly, they're not very comfortable to wear.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD569s online, but in comparison to the M50s, the HD569 sounds rather flat and lifeless to me. I'm going to return them. Despite the discomfort, I still prefer the M50s -- they just sound more fun and lively. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly jazz, soul/funk, rap, and hip-hop. I don't have a driver or anything, I just plug them into my laptop or phone.

I'd appreciate any help on this front, preferably in a similar price range, but I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you!
So what exac6tly is the most you can spend?

Does anyone have a recommendation for wireless exercise earphones? Not looking for anything super fancy but want like 6 or 7 or 8 waterproof. I have nice $300 headphones so not looking for anything like that here

I had a $30 pair of Aukey earphones with the string attached that lasted a few years until i was dumb with them and they were fine but it seems aukey no longer sells stuff on Amazon.

I got the Jabra active 7 a few weeks ago but I returned them because found them heavy and uncomfortable to use (couldn't press controls without digging in ears). And they seemed to aggravate my tinnitus in a way earbuds haven't before.
Beats Powerbeats Pro rfor premium, JLab Go Air Sport for budget

So I've got a pair of HE4XX that I quite like (used to have M40X and Grado SR60s a long time ago). I've been thinking about upgrading or expanding though. I'm wondering if the Sundara is a worthy upgrade or if it's more of the same and not that big of an upgrade. I really like immersion and music with... a lot of stuff going on in it. Post-rock, shoegaze, etc. I still listen to indie rock and emo type stuff too though. I'm assuming I want something with a good soundstage.

I've heard the R70X is a good option potentially, there's the Sundara obvs, or I could go a total different route and try the HD6XX because everyone raves about those (though I know that would give me a totally different more intimate experience). What's worth looking into? Trying to do what the HE4XX does but better, or trying out something different? I want to try to keep it under 300 again, I'm not ready for a big 500+ upgrade.
The Sundara is a worthy upgrade to the 4XX. You'd gain significant impact and dynamic punch in your listening experience. The 4XX sounds thin in comparison.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Do you use an iPhone or Android?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Sundara is a worthy upgrade to the 4XX. You'd gain significant impact and dynamic punch in your listening experience. The 4XX sounds thin in comparison.
After reading nearly everything I could on them, I actually went in the R70x direction, just waiting for it to ship. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I've heard the imaging is better than the Sundara but there's a little less detail/clarity in the treble, but it's also less fatiguing due to that. We'll see!

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the nova Pro wired considered a good buy at £200 they're on offer at amazon. I play cod+fn but mainly buying new headphones for better audio quality vs. My Arctis 7x. I tried the penrose but felt they didn't have enough bass and they weren't so much better that I could justify the price point. They also started crackling a few days in so I returned them.
If I'm going over £200 I'd need them to be compatible with ps/xbox/pc.
Main issue with the 7x are some details get muddy and the lows aren't punchy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
After reading nearly everything I could on them, I actually went in the R70x direction, just waiting for it to ship. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I've heard the imaging is better than the Sundara but there's a little less detail/clarity in the treble, but it's also less fatiguing due to that. We'll see!
We'll see. Two prominent reviewers whose opinions I trust (metal571 and Andrew/Resolve) both say the R70x gets congested and loses detail/coherence when music gets busy. That'd be a no go for me.

Are the nova Pro wired considered a good buy at £200 they're on offer at amazon. I play cod+fn but mainly buying new headphones for better audio quality vs. My Arctis 7x. I tried the penrose but felt they didn't have enough bass and they weren't so much better that I could justify the price point. They also started crackling a few days in so I returned them.
If I'm going over £200 I'd need them to be compatible with ps/xbox/pc.
Main issue with the 7x are some details get muddy and the lows aren't punchy.
Why not buy a real pair of headphones for that money? No gaming headset sounds good enough to justify the price.

This isn't me being a headphone snob, it's the truth if you want good audio.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. Two prominent reviewers whose opinions I trust (metal571 and Andrew/Resolve) both say the R70x gets congested and loses detail/coherence when music gets busy. That'd be a no go for me.
I'm hoping that it's not the case, or it's not super noticeable for me. I ordered from Thomann so there's a good return policy... I'd just have to pay for shipping back to Germany, haha.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm hoping that it's not the case, or it's not super noticeable for me. I ordered from Thomann so there's a good return policy... I'd just have to pay for shipping back to Germany, haha.
I've been watching a lot of reviews on them just out of curiosity. How you feel it compares to the 4XX will be interesting.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck dude, now I'm dreaming about the LCD-2C at night lol

Well, I guess there was an LCD-4 in the dream too, but that thing is way too expensive for me

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not buy a real pair of headphones for that money? No gaming headset sounds good enough to justify the price.

This isn't me being a headphone snob, it's the truth if you want good audio.
Mainly the ease of setup. I'm kinda frugal, so if I buy a dac I'm going to have to research them, find the options and then watch for a good deal. Same for the actual headphones.

After I posted I also started wondering whether I should even go wired in the first place, will the difference even be enough for me to justify the wires etc. I have some issues with my ears but no major hearing loss due to various health issues I've had in the past.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What the fuck dude, now I'm dreaming about the LCD-2C at night lol

Well, I guess there was an LCD-4 in the dream too, but that thing is way too expensive for me
I have never had the opportunity to hear an Audeze product, I really would like to know if that bass is the real deal. I have to stick to my guns for at least 2-3 years though, no more headphones.

I'll let you know. I'm not an expert or anything though, and I obviously don't have a huge frame of reference to compare them to.
They'll be different enough that you won't have a hard time.

Mainly the ease of setup. I'm kinda frugal, so if I buy a dac I'm going to have to research them, find the options and then watch for a good deal. Same for the actual headphones.

After I posted I also started wondering whether I should even go wired in the first place, will the difference even be enough for me to justify the wires etc. I have some issues with my ears but no major hearing loss due to various health issues I've had in the past.
Nah I get it.

If I did more gaming than music listening, and my job didn't require wired -> USB interface, I'd 100% be using a wireless headset myself.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017

You won't necessarily need a dedicated dac/amp. Look at the Fidelio X2. They're in your price range. Easy enough to drive through controllers and will have the bass you're looking for without muddy'ing up the midrange. You can turn them into a headset if needed by attaching the v-moda boom mic. It's only a single wire for the whole set up, so not bad imo.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You won't necessarily need a dedicated dac/amp. Look at the Fidelio X2. They're in your price range. Easy enough to drive through controllers and will have the bass you're looking for without muddy'ing up the midrange. You can turn them into a headset if needed by attaching the v-moda boom mic. It's only a single wire for the whole set up, so not bad imo.
Oh, that's not bad, I thought the 3.5mm on controllers wasn't great so I assumed the wires would be running up to my console which is only a meter away. . I'll keep an eye out on black Friday. If you or any other people have any other recommendations I'd appreciate it.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching a lot of reviews on them just out of curiosity. How you feel it compares to the 4XX will be interesting.
Well, I've just been listening for an hour or so.

First off, they fit my head perfectly and feel comfortable, so that's great. They certainly feel more airy and open than the 4XX, from what I can tell. I don't think I notice any lack of clarity or detail in comparison. They feel a bit more surrounding.

I suppose I need more time with them but I feel pretty happy with them. I'm really tempted to see how the Sundaras compare but, who knows. Don't want to deal with a bunch of potential return hassle, haha.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Bought some LCD-X at B-Stock from the Audeze B-Stock sale and am very excited for it to arrive in a few days. Surprisingly last I checked a few hours ago they were still available from Audeze for $699 (regular price $1,199). Surprised they didn't sell out in hours.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well, I've just been listening for an hour or so.

First off, they fit my head perfectly and feel comfortable, so that's great. They certainly feel more airy and open than the 4XX, from what I can tell. I don't think I notice any lack of clarity or detail in comparison. They feel a bit more surrounding.

I suppose I need more time with them but I feel pretty happy with them. I'm really tempted to see how the Sundaras compare but, who knows. Don't want to deal with a bunch of potential return hassle, haha.
I say forget the Sundara unless you start moving through your favorite music and you don't like what the R70x is giving you.

The smartest thing you can do in this hobby is to be content.

Bought some LCD-X at B-Stock from the Audeze B-Stock sale and am very excited for it to arrive in a few days. Surprisingly last I checked a few hours ago they were still available from Audeze for $699 (regular price $1,199). Surprised they didn't sell out in hours.
$699 bah gawd that's sick.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I say forget the Sundara unless you start moving through your favorite music and you don't like what the R70x is giving you.

The smartest thing you can do in this hobby is to be content.

Yeah, probably for the best. Just like, there's the "what if it's better for me" itch, haha. Especially since so many people talk about how great they are.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My VModa Crossfade XL earcups finally bit the dust after 6 years. They've been peeling hard (almost just the cloth now) and the glue finally came undone so the cushions completely separated from the bits that snap in.

I ordered some replacements (just $20) but I wonder if I should just get some new headphones? 🤔

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this,but what are some recommendations for wireless gaming headsets?

Currently using the sennheiser 550 since i got them on a good sale and I would love some wireless recommendations that at least match them

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah, probably for the best. Just like, there's the "what if it's better for me" itch, haha. Especially since so many people talk about how great they are.
How's the experience going? Is the R70x giving you the feels when listening to media?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this,but what are some recommendations for wireless gaming headsets?

Currently using the sennheiser 550 since i got them on a good sale and I would love some wireless recommendations that at least match them
What's the budget and platform(s) on which you are gaming?

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I should have asked this, in what country are you? I'm wondering how much the SteelSeries Arctis Pro is where you are.

Great. Does the Hifiman do anything better to your ear?
Austria, just checked Amazon and the Arctis pro wireless is around 340.
How's the Sony one?(intime h9) That's apparently reduced by 80€ atm

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great. Does the Hifiman do anything better to your ear?
I'll have to go back and do a comparison and see if there's other qualities I like that I might want to look into for the future. Feels like the r70x will probably last me a long time as realistically I don't want to spend more $$$ on headphones anyway. Plus I imagine it's around the price point you run into diminishing returns.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ZMF November has started. Their stuff is not inexpensive, so just to stay that out front. BUT...if anyone wants to own an EXCELLENT pair of one-of-a-kind headphones, give their stuff a look.

shop.zmfheadphones.com

ZMF November

Traditional Craft. Modern Acoustics. ZMFheadphones.

It looks like they have about 50 one-of-a-kind pairs. And I mean "one of a kind" in the most literal sense. If you have one of these, you will have the only one in the world with that particular wood/resin
and pattern.

Some examples:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I'm threatening to get something.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
Looking for some closed back wired headphones for a long flight to listen to music and play on my switch. Currently looking at the Sennheiser HD 400S. I'm in the UK and looking to spend upto £100 or so if its a really great recommendation.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So I've always used my XM3 for wireless and I loved them. But they're really cumbersome for the gym, so I bought the Powerbeats Pro…and holy shit the ease of connectivity is amazing. Siri reading texts and notifications are huge. Ear sensors pausing music when you take one off is my favorite thing.

My XM3's are falling apart and I was looking to get the XM5's, but I'm really conflicted because I assume the AirPods Max are probably just as good with an iPhone and I don't know if I want to give that up. 😔

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I've always used my XM3 for wireless and I loved them. But they're really cumbersome for the gym, so I bought the Powerbeats Pro…and holy shit the ease of connectivity is amazing. Siri reading texts and notifications are huge. Ear sensors pausing music when you take one off is my favorite thing.

My XM3's are falling apart and I was looking to get the XM5's, but I'm really conflicted because I assume the AirPods Max are probably just as good with an iPhone and I don't know if I want to give that up. 😔
There is nothing like AirPods (or some of the Beats) when it comes to connectivity in any device.

Seamlessly switching with my Pros and Maxs between iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV is just the best thing ever. I don't see myself buying any other wireless headphone anymore now as long as I'm that deep inside Apple's ecosystem. It really is fantastic and I don't understand how Bluetooth itself is still such a shit standard after all these years.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
After my WI-1000X broke, I bought the WH-1000 XM5 and I'm looking forward to it because a city without ANC can be really annoying.
However, I used my Power Beats 3 (I think) to bridge the gap and I really love the connectivity benefits with Apple devices. One really big drawback, though, is that iOS still doesn't have true adjustbale EQ. It's not that bad, and I think their devices always adjust EQ dynamically, but I've gotten used to adjusting EQ a bit to my taste.

#batman

Nov 15, 2022
Sennheiser HD 600 headphones for gaming and content viewing

Sony WF-C500 earbuds for office and outside listening

Samsung soundbar for my TV

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
ZMF November has started. Their stuff is not inexpensive, so just to stay that out front. BUT...if anyone wants to own an EXCELLENT pair of one-of-a-kind headphones, give their stuff a look.

shop.zmfheadphones.com

ZMF November

Traditional Craft. Modern Acoustics. ZMFheadphones.

It looks like they have about 50 one-of-a-kind pairs. And I mean "one of a kind" in the most literal sense. If you have one of these, you will have the only one in the world with that particular wood/resin
and pattern.

Some examples:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I'm threatening to get something.

I almost bought the Atriums like 10 times. Had to keep stopping myself

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if ZMF's next plan is gonna be a closed back Caldera.

If they make it, it will be automatic king of the closed back planars lol

I read a post from Zach on Head-Fi (I think) that said he plans to introduce a closed back Atrium and Caldera is 2023. He also has a lower cost headphone in the pipeline too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 660 S, they're 40% off at Amazon right now. Sorry for the noob question, but these work fine plugged into a laptop or ps5 or do I absolutely need an amp?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up actually preferring my HD58X over the ZMF Aeolus sound-wise and sold the Aeolus a while ago, but man do I still want to try the Atticus and the Verite Closed and the new planars from ZMF. But they are obviously very hard to audit in Europe and just absurdly pricey (especially for the latter two) that it's more or less just a pipe dream for me. Maybe if I win the lottery some day.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 660 S, they're 40% off at Amazon right now. Sorry for the noob question, but these work fine plugged into a laptop or ps5 or do I absolutely need an amp?
They should be okay without an amp at 150ohm and high sensitivity but the HD600 series do not make great gaming headphones IMO, if that's what you're planning on using them for. They have almost no sound stage and they don't image particularly well. It feels very much like you're getting audio pumped directly into your head from your left and right side and they lack that feeling of being surrounded by audio.